how do you fire the photon torpedoes in ship missions?

Orangerascal

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't! Wrong game!

Oh, wait, this was done before. Dang. :(

You need them to lock on by holding the key.

It kinda feels as if Proton Torpedoes are a hidden way to raise mission difficulty again. But I am not sure they actually get harder. I believe the issue is more that proton torpedoes requrie a different approach to these missions. Since we "mastered" the mission without proton torpedoes, this can be very confusing.

But on the other hand - finally I can destroy those dang bridges!

I find NO way of firing normal missiles at the Cap Ship turrets/bridge on Clouds of Vondoru once you have Proton Torpedoes equipped. Clicking fast does NOT work, seriously. So in effect, using Proton Torpedoes just makes the mission a heck of a lot more difficult.

Put your Proton Torpedo tube in the cargo hold until this obnoxious bug is fixed.

So can you lock on with missiles with torpedoes equipped, or not?

Do torpedoes affect your ability to fire missiles at softer targets, like medium-size ships and turrets?

yes, you can,

I think main confusion here is due to higher range of proton torpedoes.

You can lock and fire a proton torpedo sooner than normal missile which looks like normal missiles aren't working. They do, just wait for a while to get closer

You manually aim and don't hold the right mouse button. By just clicking the right button you can free fire missiles. Also, eventhough the counter says 3 you actually have 4 torpedoes, one is in the chamber. Was struggling with the same thing for a long time untill I realized that.

Very helpful post, works for me now!

yes, you can,

I think main confusion here is due to higher range of proton torpedoes.

You can lock and fire a proton torpedo sooner than normal missile which looks like normal missiles aren't working. They do, just wait for a while to get closer

Nope. I've run Clouds of Vondoru a ton of times, I know exactly when I should be able to fire missiles. When I have torpedoes installed, I can't fire missiles at the 4 shield generators or the bridge (and the BRIDGE is the whole damn reason you bring the torpedoes, which is why 4 will not cover it). Of course I can fire missiles at everything else.

Nope. I've run Clouds of Vondoru a ton of times, I know exactly when I should be able to fire missiles. When I have torpedoes installed, I can't fire missiles at the 4 shield generators or the bridge (and the BRIDGE is the whole damn reason you bring the torpedoes, which is why 4 will not cover it). Of course I can fire missiles at everything else.

Don't bother firing a torpedo at the Bridge. It's bugged currently, and gives no reward for completing that bonus. Use your torps on the shields.

Once you're out of torps, or while they're reloading, you can fire missiles like normal.

Why can't you just hit the "M" key to swap between them? You know, like I did with Tie Fighter nearly 18 years ago.

Because they actually cared about the space combat in that game whereas they very apparently do not in this game. Funny to think, Tie Fighter was an awesome space combat game and was less than 10MB (I think). Most of us have 500GB+ and they can't make a space combat game worth a nickel now.

Seriously, developers... these proton torpedoes... this is really the best you could do with it? Maybe you should go back to coding mobile phone apps.

Very true.

If your icon is purple, you still have a torp left.

If its not, missiles go back to normal.

Dude you don't know what you're talking about. Now maybe it's a bug and you don't suffer from it, but either way, I've used all 4 protons and still if it's a target that can be shot with protons I can't fire a missile at it if I equip protons on my ship. Ship: Defender.

• 2 weeks later...

The torpedoes are at the same time wickedly awesome, and painfully, horribly epic fail.

Assigning them to the same key as regular missles was a really bad idea. And not being able to target anything I dang well feel like with them is also a bad idea. They take entirely too long to lock onto anything. In such a fast-paced combat situation, by the time I've gotten a torpedo off, I've missed 5-10 targets of opportunity/bonus targets.

And why, for the love of Jawas, can I not use my regular missles on torpedo targets after I've used up all my torpedoes? This is just bad design, carry through, and testing.

I used to rule in space missions before I got my torpedoes. With torpedoes, I'm failing like a noob. And that's why my torpedoes will stay in my captain's locker until Bioware fixes this pitiful issue.

after reading this entire post after i hit 50 this am i did clouds and yep the first run was odd, but second run i used torpedoes on 3 shields and the bridge (did get the bonus) and regular missiles on the last shield. if you stick to the constructive posts it can help.

• 3 weeks later...

Man you guys had me so scared equipping this when I hit 50. All I have to say is these things are SO easy a monkey could do it. Sorry to those of you having problems but in all reality you need to get your eyes checked.

Quick right click = missle hold click with the red display = on a major ship = proton torpedo.

This one helps me kill every capitol ship on every mission

I did the same thing as has been posted here for clouds mission - I used the proton topedos on 3 of the shield generators and on the bridge and then I used missles on the last one and to help really quicken up the killing when I was in close I used an EMP to just take out a ton of the guns.

So far the only two missions I still have problems with even on full upgrades is the clouds mission getting all 75 of the defenders (because I am switching to shields alot and my guns just go to the toilet) and the mugar ice field mission where you have the 10 shild generators you have to kill the second one is just not on the screen long enough for me to kill both in time.

While it would be nice to rebind the attack it in no way hampers the short right click ability of the regular missions so I really don't see how anyone can clamin it messesu p how they standarly do the mission?

• 2 weeks later...
Did I take a turn into the STO forums or something?

I'm not sure what you're talking about now.

Yes you are. You're just being a jerk is all. Everyone knows what the OP was talking about, he made a simple spelling error.

Stop being trolls and contribute something helpful instead of trying to be funny at someone else's expense.

In short, grow up.

The number shown is the amount of in the chamber; YOU HAVE FOUR.

Once your torpedoes are depleted, it DOES switch over to missiles.

Clouds CAN be finished with ALL the bonuses. You torpedo 3 shields and the bridge, then missile the last shield. Also, you can easily get the 75 fighters bonus, because FRIGATE TURRETS count towards the bonus too.

Edited by Heliac

Hello, i'd like to ask if there's an issue with proton torpedoes? The item description says that it holds 4 torpedoes but in space combat it shows only 3. And obviously how do i actually release the torpedo? Thanks

Hello, i'd like to ask if there's an issue with proton torpedoes? The item description says that it holds 4 torpedoes but in space combat it shows only 3. And obviously how do i actually release the torpedo? Thanks

Number you see is always 'spare' count. So you have 3 spares and one loaded, same as 4 loaded regular missiles.

Release - targeting pointer over shielded target, press missile button, hold until lock is achieved. Release. Easy to train on, for example, station destruction mission, as there you have steady approach to target more than once.

Also, as nobody seemed to mention it, there is really simple way to fire regular missiles at shielded targets - be unable to fire protons. Which might be hard if only way you can think of is run out, but you can also fire missiles while proton torpedo is reloading. You can fit 5-6 missiles in that gap, just enought to destroy shield generator.

Edited by Elear