ability to que 8 players in a pvp instance SWG yes SWTOR no

open world random drops that are ultra rare SWG yes SWTOR no

beastmaster pet development SWG yes SWTOR no

an evolving crafting resourse spawning 24/7 random SWG yes SWTOR no

housing 100% customizable sky is the limit housing SWG yes SWTOR no

epic storyline SWG no SWTOR yes

in game voice chat built into game SWG yes SWTOR no

PVP ranking that decayed while not Pvping SWG yes SWTOR no

Each player server being unique due to players customizing cities SWG yes SWTOR no

Ability to chose republic, imperial, or non combatic on same toon SWG yes SWTOR no

Open world PVP instances that run 24/7 SWG yes SWTOR no

Instanced PVP 24/7 SWG yes SWTOR yes

Game doesn't even start until top level SWG yes SWTOR no

crafting system that is a game within a game SWG yes SWTOR no

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent over 10,000 hours playing and loving SWG but even I don't think this thread is a good idea. Sandbox games are mostly dead. Themeparks are the present and future (possibly with a few sandbox elements). I miss SWG and the fantastic community I spent 7 years with...but today I have SWTOR to satisfy my SW needs.

Oh I have one regardless...Space mining SWG: yes, SWTOR: nope.

Ok, I am a fan of both games, play both at the moment. So I added in a few notes on some of the answers, because a simple yes or no does not suffice on some of them.

Housing and interior customization SWG yes SWTOR no

SWTORs housing is not bad, per say, but it is inferior to SWGs housing setup IMO. Mainly because of the hooks, but also because of the size...SWTOR houses are huge and they dont need to be.

Open World maps SWG yes SWTOR no

SWG does win here, though transitioning to "zones" does cause problems (like rubberbanding) sometimes.

Massive open world pvp, PVP ranking that decayed while not Pvping SWG yes SWTOR no

YES. Big plus to SWG. If you didn't PVP you would lose your rank.

Open world resourse harvesting SWG yes SWTOR no

I would simplify this to say that SWGs resource gathering is superior to this game overall.

Entertainer class (non combat) SWG yes SWTOR no

Pure entertainers and crafters, non combat win every time. Options.

bounty hunters who can hunt other players SWG yes SWTOR no

ability to place bountys on other players SWG yes SWTOR no

Big yes. Very fun to hunt other players, or to be the hunted.

Creature Handler and Engineer SWG yes SWTOR no

Ability to train pet companions and build droid companions. Both are very fun.

Superior crafting system overall, with factories SWG yes SWTOR no

I love SWGs crafting. SWTORs crafting is improving, but it is still far behind SWG in quality IMO.

SWTOR wins hands down here.

Ability to chose republic, imperial, or non combatic on same toon SWG yes SWTOR no

This is also a big win in SWGs corner. You could choose your side regardless of your class.

Character customization SWG yes SWTOR no

SWG used to be far superior to SWTOR, but SWTORs character customization options have improved substantially. They still fall short of the options that SWG provides.

Now, SWG has some SERIOUS flaws compared to SWTOR, and is by no means perfect itself. The graphics are inferior to SWTORs by a long shot, and the sheer amount of weapon, armor and speeder designs that SWTOR has far outranks SWG by a wide margin.

Just my slant if I was comparing the two. SWTOR is a much higher quality game now than it was at launch, but SWG still holds the crown in some distinct ways.

Edited by LordArtemis

Lives in infamy for bringing the letters NGE into MMO lexicon: SWG yes; SWTOR no

Gated Jedi behind a horribly complex and grindy system for a couple of years: SWG yes; SWTOR no

Never broke 1 million subscriptions: SWG yes; SWTOR No

Still running: SWG no; SWTOR yes

Edited by Master-Nala

Lives in infamy for bringing the letters NGE into MMO lexicon: SWG yes; SWTOR no

Gated Jedi behind a horribly complex and grindy system for a couple of years: SWG yes; SWTOR no

Never broke 1 million subscriptions: SWG yes; SWTOR no

Still running: SWG no; SWTOR yes

Umm, SWTOR got to at least 1.7 million subscribers

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/02/01/star-wars-the-old-republic-has-17-million-subscribers

I miss the fact that credits had value in that game, you didn't log in to play some story that'll only last a few hours, you logged in to keep your town operational.

it had a real community and was a proper sandbox game.

I loved SWG pre NGE and the fiasco that ensued. I can say that the screwup that they did with SWG lost over 200,000 subs in a weekend. it lead to people running over to City of heroes and Blizzard. This is an example of what NOT to do in game development. I recently tried it again on a private server. I was disappointed in it big time for my fond memories vanished.

Graphics were very poor compared to SWTOR.

lag was bad in SWG.

SWG maps and navigation are BAD. Movement outside of using WASD keys and such are BAD.

Character animation was hokie in SWG. When a character ran they swayed back and forth like a salamander running on 2 feet.

I admit the crafting was far better in SWG. I was an architect and one of the best on the server making millions every day from my vendor and building cities for the guilds I was contracted for. It was a second job handling server plots, server load and harvesters.

Player made items pre NGE were the best in the game and I could afford them making lucrative money. My alts had the best amor and gear in the game.

After NGE/ Weekend of death and unrest - I lost all of my abilities to use the best gear in the game for they made it level based and my rifleman was now level 25. Unable to use the best amor and gear in the game a week previous. I was so mad and GM's and out of game tickets could not help me. They could not raise me to the level needed. I had to grind in the game with no weapons or amor I could use. They told me I had to buy them or make them and level my toon. The lead GM was made attention to my plight when I escalated my concerns up to SOE management. He said my gear would sell for HUGE amounts of money for it was no longer available in the game but useable and offered to help me level in areas of the game deigned to fast track things. I thanked him but quit the game. Why should I have to level to use items I had already been able to use pre-expansion? The new interface was bad bad bad bad bad.

I loved the skills based trees for completing your class. It worked VERY well. Doctors and dancers awesome!

it had good points and bad point. BUT it defineltly is a sign of the times and very outdated by todays game standards.

SWTOR is very stable, lag free for me and high quality of graphics. Not can be said for SWG.

Edited by pspenard

I loved SWG pre NGE and the fiasco that ensued. I can say that the screwup that they did with SWG lost over 200,000 subs in a weekend. it lead to people running over to City of heroes and Blizzard. This is an example of what NOT to do in game development. I recently tried it again on a private server. I was disappointed in it big time for my fond memories vanished.

Graphics were very poor compared to SWTOR.

lag was bad in SWG.

SWG maps and navigation are BAD. Movement outside of using WASD keys and such are BAD.

Character animation was hokie in SWG. When a character ran they swayed back and forth like a salamander running on 2 feet.

I admit the crafting was far better in SWG. I was an architect and one of the best on the server making millions every day from my vendor and building cities for the guilds I was contracted for. It was a second job handling server plots, server load and harvesters.

Player made items pre NGE were the best in the game and I could afford them making lucrative money. My alts had the best amor and gear in the game.

After NGE/ Weekend of death and unrest - I lost all of my abilities to use the best gear in the game for they made it level based and my rifleman was now level 25. Unable to use the best amor and gear in the game a week previous. I was so mad and GM's and out of game tickets could not halve me. They could not raise me to the level needed. I had to grind in the game with no weapons or amor I could use. They told me I had to buy them or make them and level my toon.

I loved the skills based trees for completing your class. It worked VERY well. Doctors and dancers awesome!

it had good points and bad point. BUT it defineltly is a sign of the times and very outages by todays game standards.

SWTOR is very stable, lag free for me and high quality of graphics. Not can be said for SWG.

You do realize SWG was built on an engine from 1999 don't you? I'm not comparing engines just game.

Inverted the names there! Fixed! :jawa_redface:

EDIT: now that I read it again, what I wrote was

NEVER broke 1 million subs; SWTOR did, which is why I put no. You confused me there! :p

Edited by Master-Nala

I miss the fact that credits had value in that game, you didn't log in to play some story that'll only last a few hours, you logged in to keep your town operational.

it had a real community and was a proper sandbox game.

I miss those things about SWG too, but SWTOR is not a sandbox and never was. They are having the same conversation on the SE forums about FFXI (sandbox) vs FFXIV (themepark). They are completely different games with different goals. There are still plenty of sandbox MMOs out there, I can even recommend some to you, but if you're looking for a sandbox you are playing the wrong game.

If you have any to add, feel free.

I will start it off.

Player City Housing SWG yes SWTOR no

Open World maps SWG yes SWTOR no

Massive open world pvp SWG yes SWTOR no

Open world resourse harvesting SWG yes SWTOR no

Entertainer class (non combat) SWG yes SWTOR no

bounty hunters who can hunt other players SWG yes SWTOR no

ability to place bountys on other players SWG yes SWTOR no

ability to que 8 players in a pvp instance SWG yes SWTOR no

open world random drops that are ultra rare SWG yes SWTOR no

beastmaster pet development SWG yes SWTOR no

an evolving crafting resourse spawning 24/7 random SWG yes SWTOR no

housing 100% customizable sky is the limit housing SWG yes SWTOR no

in game voice chat built into game SWG yes SWTOR no

PVP ranking that decayed while not Pvping SWG yes SWTOR no

Each player server being unique due to players customizing cities SWG yes SWTOR no

Open world PVP instances that run 24/7 SWG yes SWTOR no

Instanced PVP 24/7 SWG yes SWTOR yes

Game doesn't even start until top level SWG yes SWTOR no

crafting system that is a game within a game SWG yes SWTOR no

Swtor's writing and storytelling beats all of that for me. Sorry swg fans/

Swtor > Swg.

You do realize SWG was built on an engine from 1999 don't you? I'm not comparing engines just game.

The last expansions and radical game changes were totally different than the original game. When the game went to level based it lost its greatest unique appeal and became a twitch shooter.

I really don't like the way the characters moved in SWG but as I mentioned above crafting and harvesters etc etc was very very very good. I loved vendors and being able to sell items you made.

Play made cities were cool BUT soon Tatooine was a mess of harvesters and housing as far as the eyes could see in some places. I had over 50 plots and never really moved some my harvesters for I had them running 24/7 getting any resource it could in range even if it was not high numbers in certain areas. I could not afford to move some for other would take the spot. Space was premium in some areas and you could not afford to lose it.

Loved the weapons and amor crafted by players. The idea was great! Best items were player crafted and they looked at introducing drops in high level areas that would be on par. I never saw that for I gave up trying to find them and wait for updates after the fiasco that killed the game.

if they had not done the expansion from hell and kept up with the game development and graphics etc I am sure it would have been a great game! City of Heroes did it all the way till they got killed by overseas companies politics.

As far as both games go, I find things I enjoy about both. Its hard to replace the community that SWG had though. Guilds seemed far more interactive than what I have experienced in SWTOR. That may or may not be everyone's experience though. I do remember times when grinding out skills whether they were crafting or combat where guild chat alone kept me entertained as I worked through the skill boxes. I actually appreciated not having levels in the original SWG. Kind of seemed a bit more realistic. If you didn't know what the other player had, fights were far more challenging.

As far as both games go, I find things I enjoy about both. Its hard to replace the community that SWG had though. Guilds seemed far more interactive than what I have experienced in SWTOR. That may or may not be everyone's experience though. I do remember times when grinding out skills whether they were crafting or combat where guild chat alone kept me entertained as I worked through the skill boxes. I actually appreciated not having levels in the original SWG. Kind of seemed a bit more realistic. If you didn't know what the other player had, fights were far more challenging.

This. Both games have their pillars IMO. SWG was one of the best games in the industry with respect to horizontal progression, non-combat roles, character support roles, space combat and personal spaceships, open worlds, PAs (guilds), crafting, character customization and housing.

Combat in SWTOR is much more fluid, MUCH better animations, and of course a massive plus with a fully voiced epic storyline. Graphics are, of course, vastly superior.