LGBT Players - Check in here!

Kresse

Creating an LGBT guild is one thing, just make sure that you actually DO have straight ppl in the guild or you might wind up in a guild enforcement problem....

The problem being that policy enforcement does not distinguish exclusivity...

Activision Blizzard won their court case over destroying an LGBT guild because they refused to include straight ppl, so therefore....

it fell under the same heading as racism, sexism and genderism...

if you're afraid to be out of the closet and open with the guild your in, find a different guild!

(p.s. I had a normal old regular guild once, that was run by a gay man, then by a lesbian, and a core of the guild was straight... btw, every LGBT member was completely open in convo, had great times. But if you feel you can't be open completely, you have personal issues to resolve and shouldn't push em onto the community...)

Creating an LGBT guild is one thing, just make sure that you actually DO have straight ppl in the guild or you might wind up in a guild enforcement problem....

The problem being that policy enforcement does not distinguish exclusivity...

Activision Blizzard won their court case over destroying an LGBT guild because they refused to include straight ppl, so therefore....

it fell under the same heading as racism, sexism and genderism...

if you're afraid to be out of the closet and open with the guild your in, find a different guild!

(p.s. I had a normal old regular guild once, that was run by a gay man, then by a lesbian, and a core of the guild was straight... btw, every LGBT member was completely open in convo, had great times. But if you feel you can't be open completely, you have personal issues to resolve and shouldn't push em onto the community...)

Other than your post, no one in this thread was talking about forming a guild of any kind.

I'm a homosexual and this is my 2nd MMO coming from WoW.

I actually love this more then WoW.

I've never watched any of the star wars movies so I don't understand most of the stuff going on, luckily my partner is a SWTOR fan and got the collectors edition today so this is the first time we'll be playing together :)

He didn't like WoW whatsoever mostly because he didn't agree with some of the game mechanics etc etc.

but yea we'll be playing SWTOR together shortly (forgot my server)

but as far as the thread goes I keep to myself and keep my personal life out of my social interaction in WoW/SWTOR unless asked specifically about my orientation and whether or not it's important to know for the guild (in case they don't accept homosexuals)

everyone wins no?

To explain to most people in this thread why LGBT guilds exist.

Make no mistake an LGBT is not an attempt to create our own little island away from the rest of the community, on the contrary it's the exact opposite, its so we can have representation and a positive community in the game and be in a guild where you don't HAVE to worry about an officer being a bigot or someone being uncomfortable with you as a person.

There is no Straight pride guild because every guild IS straight already or the norm.

If you wanna pretend that there's no anti gay bias in a lot of US server's you're more then welcome too, I would also like to enjoy whatever kool-aid you're drinking. LGBT guilds give members, obviously gay members and allies freedom to be themselves without having to bend over backwards because of how you feel or think any group of people should act.

Why is it a big deal? Because if a person has to remain in the closet to be a functioning or respected player on the server. Yeah that's pretty messed up. Just read that aloud and try to defend it, it doesn't matter if you're "cool with the gays" when other people are not. Homophobia exists when misinterpretation runs rampant and that's due to overwhelming bigotry and complete ignorance of the existence of any minority. It's none of your business what we do, and its none of my business what you do, but you can't pretend people don't exist because you're afraid some ******* idiot is going to be "offended", because that enables and gives the people offended the idea that violating human rights is a-ok. Which I don't think I need to explain isn't right.

The difference between a pride guild and your everyday guild is pride guild accept everyone.

"Straight guilds" might not. In fact you're more than welcome to join any "gay" guild, and see how it's the same old song and dance with any other guild, except they might be slightly prettier than the average MMOer.

And of course gay guy with a sarcastic attitude sounding off

Edited by Sirrayo

Not, LGBT myself - but I support the LGBT (singularly, together, in any arrangement thereof) part of our wonderful community. :)

I say more power to ya, and to the rest of us as we all work towards acceptance.

Edited by Elblai

I myself am transgendered (MtF) and a member of the lesser known sexuality, pansexuality.

For those not in the know, pansexuality is the attraction to people of all sexes or genders. It sounds like bisexuality, but the literal definition of bisexuality only encompasses both sexes, not genders. That's my belief, however, but I don't object if you fall under those standards for pans and continue to call yourself bi. Part of what I've learned while being transgendered is that people need to be able to define themselves to their pleasing, not others.

Not to mention that quite a few online games (BF, CoD etc) have a huge problem with a culture of people going around going "UR A ***", "YOUR GUN IS ****" (wat, it's attracted to other guns?!) and the like...

I see nothing wrong with making it clear that in actual fact there are plenty of people around who have an issue with the above nonsense due to the fact that they are in fact GLBTIQXYZ (bacon/lettuce/tomato/grapes/icecream/quincepaste?). Not that salami um i mean straight people don't have a problem with idiots. Plenty of my straight friends are just as annoyed with that sort of idiotic behaviour.

My experience has certainly been that in high school for example where no-one was openly non-straight, there was a lot of homophobic/queerphobic crap being spouted loudly and obnoxiously. Once people started coming out and identifying as their sexual orientation or gender orientation then things started to improve dramatically, and their straight friends would also stick up for the issue rather than being scared to be labelled as a queer just for trying to stick up for a friend.

It's not just about having an identity or whatever... it's about fighting a toxic culture that afflicts many an online game. (So far SWTOR has been pretty good I must say)

Just sayin'

(FYI - I like mostly ladies, the occasional mans, i'm not polyamorous, and I identify as a ladiez. I have a lot of straight friends as well as non-straight friends. I don't really label myself as anything in particular but I have no problem with those who do)

Even though i'm gay i don't think i would join a LGBT guild :)

This is my fourth MMO i'm playing and i've never hidden my sexuality, even guildies flirt with me (ofc words only) but some remarks they make are really funny :-).

I don't know about US, but Europe seems to be more tolerant. Although i always joined a +25 guild. Or maybe i've been lucky.

But i say, Anger, ignorance and all negative things leads to the dark side :)

I just wanted to say hi to all of the fellow GLBT players.

As for the people who are complaining about this thread, I'm curious if you live lives that are in no way sectioned off into appropriate portions? Let me elaborate.

Each time there is a 49ers game, I invite my friends over who I know like the Niners. Now obviously my friends who are not Niners fans might want to come over, and I have no qualms about it. However, most of them tend to get bored when they realize for the next few hours they're going to have to hear a bunch of dudes complain about how much the head coach of a team they could not care less about sucks ('cause he does!).

A good friend of mine is highly religious. She attends her church every Sunday, goes to church functions whenever she can, and has her children enrolled in Catholic school. She knows, however, that I am not a member of her church or a believer in her religion. Despite being so heavily religious and having it affect her life in such a strong manner, she does not invite me. Why? Well, I have little interest in them.

Healthy, mature people are able to look at their lives and the community that surrounds it and section it off appropriately. This does not mean that they refuse to let people in one part of their life enter another. I'm a psych major and I love rambling on about new things I've learned in school. A good friend of mine is the same and so we like to sit around and talk Jung for far too long. Nevertheless, when I heard another friend of mine show interest in it I invited him along. He's now enrolled in college and taking psychology courses. We section off our lives in appropriate ways so that we can more pleasantly enjoy them. Everybody is guilty of this.

This, for many of us, has NOTHING to do with excluding others. Instead, it is a group of people with common interests who are gathering to have fun and enjoy a good game.

Personally, I play SWTOR with real life friends, but none of them are in the LGBT community. That's why I'm looking for another guild on another server. I hope to find one, but when I do I wont abandon my friends.

Hey what's up?

I was browsing through a few pages of this and I just wanted to say a few things.

First, *waves* I'm Jen. Open lesbian from Philadelphia. I play a Sith Warrior (Anej) on The Fatman server.

I think this thread is a great idea and, for the record, if there were a thread calling for "straight people of SWTOR" I would personally not be offended. What's wrong with getting people to come together and chat under a common, unifying trait? As long as it's not discriminatory to other people, who cares?

Anyway, hello to everyone and I look forward to chatting and gaming with you all :)

Interesting turn of events. Apparently someone complained to BW that this thread wasn't breaking rules or something like that so it was reopened. I wasn't exactly heartbroken they decided to close it; I understand where they're coming from.

Anyway, I never took part in my own discussion!

I'm Kyle, Frying-pansexual on Shii-Cho (Empire). Had I not ended a relationship a couple months back, I'd have my special someone with me :)

Aaaand I'd probably be miserable haha.

Thanks everyone for checking in and being awesome!

YAY!

Shout out from our big LGBTQ server, - The Jekk Jekk Tarr

Home of about a dozen or so (and growing) great LGBTQ guilds on BOTH sides, including but not limited to:

LGBTQ/friendly Empire Guilds

Taint

Shadow Syndicate

Lords of Stonewall

Rainbow Syndicate

LGBTQ/friendly Republic Guilds

Rough Trade

Knights of Stonewall

Praxis

The Prismatic Order

And actually in this game there are over 30 LGBTQ + Friendly guilds and more founded each day.

The WHY has been explained in prior posts, so where is the WHERE and WHO!

XOXO

• 2 weeks later...
YAY!

The WHY has been explained in prior posts, so where is the WHERE and WHO!

XOXO

Well in on the European English-speaking servers, we're on Trask Ulgo ;) It's an RP server but we don't enforce RP. We just all agree we prefer the atmosphere on RP servers in general, and Trask is a decent place :)

Anyone wanting an LGBT-friendly EU/UK guild, check out Scions of Aurora/Scions of Penumbra.

• 2 weeks later...