Replace the bolster system once and for all with diminishing returns

Mrdann

i don't normally make posts like this on the forum but i feel this really needs to be said and i HAVE to address this.

i have been playing this game since vanilla day 1, and i mainly focus on pvp, and because of this i have noticed that pvp in this game more specifically the crowd control in this game in getting worse and worse as time goes on. But what this does is that this goes back to the root of the problem.....

the bolster mechanic...with crowd controls and movement impairing effects going for the FULL duration and being chained

now i understand that bioware has indeed tried to do this but to be honest its not working. it hasn't worked in the old days and it SURE doesn't work right now. Because when you have talents and skills in your skill tree that are purges for cc and movement impairing effects then that is just a band aid fix and not a core fix... now i don't know if bioware has ever even fixed the scaling on this thing or not like they claimed but i seriously doubt it.

being locked down for pvp for longer then 6 to 8 seconds straight as a melee class that's not fun pvp, its annoying and BAD game design. When you have classes with multiple stuns and then you have those STUPID seismic and other grenades in pvp as well. I mean it gets overwhelmingly frustrating pvp game play when it is chained

i HOPE with the new class balance patches is that bioware is going to tone down the crowd control and movement impairing effects. I also hope that bioware gets RID of the whole bolster system in its entirety with crowd control and movement impairing effects with diminishing returns instead.

diminishing returns is what the game SHOULD have had right from the get go since it is a better system to begin with. because as i said before being locked out of your character for 5 to 8 seconds repeatedly is BAD game design

its time to update this broken system with and replace it with a system that works better in the long run

I see two complaints here, and I don't see the link between them.

First, and, it seems, most serious (you wrote more about it...) is the question of stunlocks, and yeah, that's a real problem.

The second is that you think they should replace bolster with "diminishing returns". This is a separate question, and does hinge a little on what exactly you mean by "diminishing returns". There's already something that goes by that name concerning the benefits given by raising stats, but that doesn't really begin until after the bolster cut-off, if I'm correctly assessing things.

Having bolster ensures a minimum level of power (in the general sense) among participants in a Warzone, while (if the level is set correctly) allowing top-geared players to gain an advantage, whereas a system of diminishing returns will make those top-geared players closer to each other in effective power, while *increasing* the separation between them and people just getting started.

i have been playing this game since vanilla day 1, and i mainly focus on pvp.......

diminishing returns is what the game SHOULD have had right from the get go since it is a better system to begin with. because as i said before being locked out of your character for 5 to 8 seconds repeatedly is BAD game design

playing since day 1? and you argue that bolster is... linked to.... what? how?

your whole chain stun thing is being addressed continuously. there's so many more defensives and immunity available compared to launch. that being said, different classes have different levels of immunity available to them. maybe you should look into that and offer real suggestions for improvement.

if your point is you want to remove cc, slows and stuns completely then i apologize for taking your post seriously.

the game has diminishing returns for stats. your rant is really confusing, how does removing bolster and increasing diminishing returns help anyone?

Edited by themachinemann

The word you're looking for is "resolve", not "bolster". And I feel your pain. As a dps juggernaut, I was stunlocked into oblivion (even with the resolve mechanic, which apparently needs some major tweaking) in all of my solo ranked matches yesterday.

stun diminishing returns work nicely in a game like WoW because they're more attentive to pvp balance and, most importantly, they don't have a guard mechanic

getting kills into the swtor trinity if stuns had diminishing returns would be awful...it's too hard to kill things as it is.

The word you're looking for is "resolve", not "bolster". And I feel your pain. As a dps juggernaut, I was stunlocked into oblivion (even with the resolve mechanic, which apparently needs some major tweaking) in all of my solo ranked matches yesterday.

ya thats what i meant i thought it was bolster

but yes i would rather see the resolve system be replaced with diminishing returns for stuns and other forms of crowd control its just a better system

ya thats what i meant i thought it was bolster

but yes i would rather see the resolve system be replaced with diminishing returns for stuns and other forms of crowd control its just a better system

I think the only people who would disagree with your assesment of CCs being way too common and thrown around every 3 seconds are people playing Assy's or Operatives.

CCs have their place, but this is so far beyond what should be it's not even funny. I don't see how less CCs could do anything other than make PVP more enjoyable across the ball.

It's constant, it's incessant, and some just have more of it than others.

It may have more of an impact on Melee, I don't know, but I certainly feel the way you do about it myself. There are times when it get's so much that I just have to stop playing because I'm just going to punch my friggen harddrive again and sooner or later that's gonna break something.

In this case, less would definitely be more.

I think the only people who would disagree with your assesment of CCs being way too common and thrown around every 3 seconds are people playing Assy's or Operatives.

CCs have their place, but this is so far beyond what should be it's not even funny. I don't see how less CCs could do anything other than make PVP more enjoyable across the ball.

It's constant, it's incessant, and some just have more of it than others.

It may have more of an impact on Melee, I don't know, but I certainly feel the way you do about it myself. There are times when it get's so much that I just have to stop playing because I'm just going to punch my friggen harddrive again and sooner or later that's gonna break something.

In this case, less would definitely be more.

I used to main a tank for a long time (until 5.X made gearing them a double hell-grind - thanks bio) - and I always felt like Cc'ing was one of the "3 pillars" of a tanks job (along with guard and taunt) and should be that way. Just my opinion, but I always tried to use my CCing to help out whoever was under attack. I kinda still wish that Cc'ing was more exclusive to tank specs.

Now I main a con operative, and am leveling a madness sorc (yah I know - switch to heals). So from those perspectives I agree less CC would be nice. I read in a forum thread here about this same topic, a long time ago, that... "right, because the thing that everyone finds fun is not being in control of their character. :rolleyes: " And that's it exactly. I don't mind dying in a WZ. I expect it. But I don't like going from full health to death all the while stunned and unable to do anything about it.

Personally, I don't mind the mezzes that break on damage. I like the feel of taking someone out of the fight for a bit with those, unless my team is careless and frees them. And when I get hit by one just as I'm about to interrupt a cap, and I have no way out I don't really get mad. I just think, "yep, you got me, nice job".

The "short" stuns, where you just have to sit there and be beat on. I don't really like those at all. Even as a sorc, where I can bubble out of that if I really want to... bleh.

The thing I hate most is the constant slows. Walking through molasses ALL THE FRIGGIN time just gets really frustrating. It feels like I have to use a cooldown of some kind to just move at normal speed half the time. Even though with my sorc I'm the one doing it a lot lately, and probably I'd be dead even quicker if I could not slow people down some... but I still hate them.

I wish, if they really want to keep resolve - that it would not auto-vanish. Maybe for starters it would only decrease when you were still in combat. So, for example, you would not have to enjoy watching it decrease back to zero on the speeder ride down for ACW... I love watching that full resolve tick down to nothing while riding on the speeder. Makes my day. :D

The thing I hate most is the constant slows. Walking through molasses ALL THE FRIGGIN time just gets really frustrating. It feels like I have to use a cooldown of some kind to just move at normal speed half the time. Even though with my sorc I'm the one doing it a lot lately, and probably I'd be dead even quicker if I could not slow people down some... but I still hate them.

that is probably one of the biggest problems in this game is the constant slows... bandaid fixing them with "purges" that many of the classes have is really not a fix at all.. they have to TONE it down......ALOT at least in pvp