Why can't the player play as a Gray Jedi/Sith

GavinPatterson

Why not? I mean we can - but relic's later on are something that we miss out on. Some objects such as weapons depend on a certain force alignment. I usually end up playing right between the lightside and darkside, and suffer for it.

Any plans to bring this into the game?

Just something to read if your interested and would like to know more.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gray_Jedi

Edited by GavinPatterson

Because Gray Jedi don't really exist, your still following the Order your just doing it in a way that isn't the normal.

Yep.

Gray has many shades to it..... whereas force users are all about making clear choices and giving Allegiances. It's been clear since Luke met Yoda that when pursuing force training... a point comes where you must make a choice in the force.

So Gray force user is an oxymoron IMO.

That said.. setting aside the lore context.... it's a game... so there should be bending of the lore to please some of the diversity desires of the players.

Edited by Andryah

Because Gray Jedi don't really exist, your still following the Order your just doing it in a way that isn't the normal.

Perhaps... but expanding the concept a bit, the lack of "gray" options for characters (which we were told back at launch were underway) seriously gimps a large percentage of smugglers/agents and bounty hunters/troopers who don't see the world (for the most part) as just black or white. It's pretty unfair to be penalized for playing a character IN character instead of artificially making Light or Dark decisions just to get a relic.

It seems to me from reading the link there that playing a Gray Jedi is more along the lines of a role playing character choice than a rules/game play element. All of my Jedi characters have some Dark Side points for one reason or another, and in conversations with the various Masters I don't always agree with them, but I don't see how that makes me "gray" as much as a different kind of Light Side.

I think a bit part of it is the basis of KOTOR I and II. While certain characters would express a Gray mentality, the games systems rewarded extremes more. Since those were the basis for TOR, I'd assume that theme carried through.

One thing you might want to consider as a way to keep to a fully neutral position and still access relics would be use the Diplomacy Crew Skill to earn whichever way you wanted to go for relics and allow your conversation options to be whatever you wanted.

Gray Jedi has a very specific meaning in the lore (ie. a Force-user or former Jedi that, for whatever reason, does not belong to the Order, or at the very least, is in constant conflict with them while remaining a part) - I think you meant "neutral," and if that is what you meant, this complaint has merit. We've been told that neutral gear is just around the corner since beta, but itemization seems to be gravitating away from alignment as a whole. Edited by CelCawdro

Yes, they've said previously on several occasions that they plan to bring this into the game. However, they've gone away from LS/DS restrictions with gear and seem to be phasing out those restrictions somewhat. So it looks like it will be awhile before they add neutral bonuses for relics, etc.

The entire good/evil light/dark dichotomy is a mess. And demanding that players play into it makes it even worse.

In my opinion, morality should never have a point system and always be full of gray areas. And Force shades should never be directly tied to morality.

I feel that deeper, darker emotions are necessary for somebody to truly understand empathy and compassion. If a Jedi never feels the pain of loss and despair, and all the emotions that come with it, they lose sight of what they're fighting for.

Perhaps... but expanding the concept a bit, the lack of "gray" options for characters (which we were told back at launch were underway) seriously gimps a large percentage of smugglers/agents and bounty hunters/troopers who don't see the world (for the most part) as just black or white. It's pretty unfair to be penalized for playing a character IN character instead of artificially making Light or Dark decisions just to get a relic.

There are non light and dark relics out there, you just need to look.

Right now if you don't care about using the green/blue quality relics while you're leveling, you can be gray and stay gray. I did on one of my characters unintentionally and I didn't feel it hurt all that much. end game and pvp relics aren't alignment restricted. Edited by chuixupu

In my opinion, just mine mind you, A grey jedi is a dark alignment jedi, and a grey sith is a light alignment sith.

I feel, based on the lore and the actual responses in the game that choices that give dark alignment points to jedi and light alignment points to sith tend to be "middle of the road".

The only characters in the game that seem to have a real "grey" alignment, IMO, based on in game responses would be any other class besides the force users.

You can play neutral if you like. Leveling up you will see dark side / light side requirements on some items but everything end game has no requirements. Sure there are light side mounts and dark side mounts or you just buy the exact same mount on Voss that is brown instead of black or white. Play the game how you want without worrying about keeping light or dark sided. Other than titles and again a few items while leveling up (that are really nothing special) you really don't need to worry about alignment. Sure relics are tied to them but as others have said there are non-alignment relics out there as well.

The entire good/evil light/dark dichotomy is a mess. And demanding that players play into it makes it even worse.

Players are not forced to play into it though. Very little is denied to a player if they do not make clear force choice in their alignment... and if that's the way they go... that is their choice to make.

Edited by Andryah

Players are not forced to play into it though. Very little is denied to a player if they do not make clear force choice in their alignement... and if that's the way they go... that is their choice to make.

Option 1: Let him live. [Light]

Option 2: Rip out his heart and eat it. [Dark]

A major part of the Dark Side is emotional intensity, which could very well include sympathizing with others' pain.

I could make the decision to let somebody live for many reasons, which all tie into my character's deepest philosophies and feelings.

If points should be awared at all, it should be more like this:

Option 1: Let him live, so he also won't have to feel the pain of death. [Dark]

Option 2: Remove yourself from your emotions, and kill him to save others. [Light]

I could make the decision to let somebody live for many reasons, which all tie into my character's deepest philosophies and feelings.

If points should be awared at all, it should be more like this:

Option 1: Let him live, so he also won't have to feel the pain of death. [Dark]

Option 2: Remove yourself from your emotions, and kill him to save others. [Light]

Yes, you can and people do. It's not like any single choice flips your allegience level in this game (except maybe at character level 2 or 3 :p )

Some of that is already factored into the quest lines.

Some class quests force you to play against your force side choice in order to complete them. There are tons of ways to gain force points from either side as you play... so there is plenty of latitude to toy with some shading and still not affect your allegience level.

TL;DR there actually is no pure light or dark in this game.....and the allegience level system already accounts for this such that in game play mechanics light/dark is essentially binary rather then a zillion shades of gray.

Edited by Andryah

Why not? I mean we can - but relic's later on are something that we miss out on. Some objects such as weapons depend on a certain force alignment. I usually end up playing right between the lightside and darkside, and suffer for it.

Just something to read if your interested and would like to know more.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gray_Jedi

You don't really miss out on a lot. The leveling weapons all have at level equivalents that aren't hard to obtain. In fact, once you get your initial orange saber you just keep putting new mods in it.

And the relics you get for alignment aren't that great. You can get better via daily or comms or creds.