Eric, can you tell us why we won't have credits in our legacy storage?

mortenpro

I do find it odd....and this is just speculation naturally....that they seem to have built off of our personal cargo bay instead of the guild storage, which I think would have been more suitable for this application.

Not only that but they've pretty much missed a golden opportunity for people like me, who go for a one-man Guild kind of approach, so they can retain some of the perks that come with having a Guild Bank.

And there's more.

With the ability available for GM's to have a Guild Stronghold independent of the Legacy limit, they're giving people even less of a reason to drop that approach. It's possible it will be prohibitively expensive but it's also possible it will not be.

Also, by having all my alts access the Guild Stronghold, how will it work exactly? Just like Legacy Strongholds, where you can only one decorate one single Stronghold with one particular item ONCE or will Guild Strongholds bypass that limit too? Is it fair to assume there are separate limits?

Questions, questions...:o

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the purpose behind having credits in legacy storage(unless you're asking to be able to directly spend credits from legacy storage)?

So people can access most of their fortune, without having the need to relog and send credits via-mail from a character to another character, regardless of the reason.

Maybe I want to buy something off the GTN. Maybe my math is terrible and I miscalculated how much it would cost me to rip some mods here or augment my gear.

In the end, does it really matter?

What matters is that Guild Banks offer this option since like forever(!!!) and it would seem Bioware didn't really consider it, in advance. If they did and found it impossible to implement for now, they didn't saw it fit to share with us.

So people can access most of their fortune, without having the need to relog and send credits via-mail from a character to another character, regardless of the reason.

Maybe I want to buy something off the GTN. Maybe my math is terrible and I miscalculated how much it would cost me to rip some mods here or augment my gear.

In the end, does it really matter?

What matters is that Guild Banks offer this option since like forever(!!!) and it would seem Bioware didn't really consider it, in advance. If they did and found it impossible to implement for now, they didn't saw it fit to share with us.

Does it actually save time though(implemented as you're suggesting)?

Instead of logging on another char in at the time you need to spend the money, you're logging into that character to put in the credits prior to the event.

If you're going to use it as a mass money storage that you visit every time you need to make a purchase, simply unifying credits across all characters would seem like a better solution, or at the very least suggesting that any legacy bank credits would be accessible to all characters without having to directly visit the storage.

Does it actually save time though(implemented as you're suggesting)?

Instead of logging on another char in at the time you need to spend the money, you're logging into that character to put in the credits prior to the event.

If you're going to use it as a mass money storage that you visit every time you need to make a purchase, simply unifying credits across all characters would seem like a better solution, or at the very least suggesting that any legacy bank credits would be accessible to all characters without having to directly visit the storage.

Prior to me having having a one-man Guild on each faction, I once saw these special gloves on the GTN going for 600k or so.

If memory serves me right, I only had around 450k on that character. End result?

I had to relog my main to buy that item but I took too long and even though I did buy the item, it would seem that it had already been bought by someone else, like 1ms before I did.

The gloves I'm talking about are these BTW. For 600k or so.

Regardless, not sure which method would be best but any method would be better than the one we have now, as far as being able to share our in-game fortune to its fullest.

Guild Banks already present a way to both deposit and withdraw credits, so it would have been a start for a Legacy Storage that was akin to that, not to mention the extra perks such as naming bays, selecting an image thumbnail, 90(!) slots per bay instead of 80(!!!), etc etc.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Prior to me having having a one-man Guild on each faction, I once saw these special gloves on the GTN going for 600k or so.

If memory serves me right, I only had around 450k on that character. End result?

I had to relog my main to buy that item but I took too long and even though I did buy the item, it would seem that it had already been bought by someone else, like 1ms before I did.

The gloves I'm talking about are these BTW. For 600k or so.

Regardless, not sure which method would be best but any method would be better than the one we have now, as far as being able to share our in-game fortune to its fullest.

Guild Banks already present a way to both deposit and withdraw credits, so it would have been a start for a Legacy Storage that was akin to that, not to mention the extra perks such as naming bays, selecting an image thumbnail, 90(!) slots per bay instead of 80(!!!), etc etc.

I think you're barking up the dual-spec tree when you should be barking up the multi-spec tree on the request regarding credit storage.

On a side note, has it been confirmed whether or not we can craft with mats from legacy storage yet(if the answer is no, that's rather disappointing on Bioware's part)? Haven't really been following the housing situation and streams.

I think you're barking up the dual-spec tree when you should be barking up the multi-spec tree on the request regarding credit storage.

I'm "barking" for anything, Legacy wise, that allows us to do what we've been doing since launch(!!!) with Guild Banks.

On a side note, has it been confirmed whether or not we can craft with mats from legacy storage yet(if the answer is no, that's rather disappointing on Bioware's part)? Haven't really been following the housing situation and streams.

They have.

It's at the bottom of the food chain though. Right now, it goes like this, whenever pulling mats...

Your Inventory > Cargo Hold > Legacy Storage

Good enough for me though.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

F2P/Prefs have limit on how many credits they can have (possibly to make it a bit harder on credit sellers). If they were able to place them into bank, it would create a way to circumvent that limitation.

However, I fail to see the reason why this should be problem if Legacy Storage mimicked Guild Banks, because as was pointed out to me, F2P/Prefs cannot put or take money from GB.

so forgive me for not trusting your word on it, but I logged in on a secondary account and double checked.

you are right. preferred cannot withdraw or deposit money from a guild vault. which means... there's really no good reason not to allow legacy storage to have a credit bank - as slightly adjusting existing coding is far more doable than writing new code from scratch..

so I'm not changing my stance on it and would like to know as well, what exactly WAS the reasoning not to add it...

I have a feeling that it may have been: "didn't even occur to us that people may want it O_O"

so forgive me for not trusting your word on it, but I logged in on a secondary account and double checked.

you are right. preferred cannot withdraw or deposit money from a guild vault. which means... there's really no good reason not to allow legacy storage to have a credit bank - as slightly adjusting existing coding is far more doable than writing new code from scratch..

so I'm not changing my stance on it and would like to know as well, what exactly WAS the reasoning not to add it...

I have a feeling that it may have been: "didn't even occur to us that people may want it O_O"

Well if they would say that they're liars because it has been mentioned along with the request for a legacy bank. In fact we started asking for it already during beta so it's not a new topic at all.

My guess is that it has to do with yes, System Limitations™. I think it might have to do with the difference between a guild structure and a legacy structure. Technically it has to be possible but perhaps it's something that is taking them more time than they can afford to get it done which then brings us in the area of not having enough people to do the developing of new content. I might start using TM for that as well if I see that a couple more times.

Seems pretty obvious that they didn't want to give preferred/f2p (read: gold sellers) a way around the credit caps.

Well, that doesn't mean you can't give the option to subbed players and just have it disabled for f2p/pref. accounts.

Honestly... I think the reason they won't allow is to prevent even the possibility of credit duping. It's something that many games have struggled with when it comes to putting money into a bank.

Honestly... I think the reason they won't allow is to prevent even the possibility of credit duping. It's something that many games have struggled with when it comes to putting money into a bank.

I am not aware of this. How does having a credit vault in your legacy bank make you vulnerable to credit duping?

I am not aware of this. How does having a credit vault in your legacy bank make you vulnerable to credit duping?

Since I'm not a coder, nor do I have even the slightest clue as how credits are coded in this game, I can't even begin to guess. However, credit duping is a problem that has existed in many MMOs at one time or another and it usually involved a bank that you can put money into.

Edited by Jandi

Seems pretty obvious that they didn't want to give preferred/f2p (read: gold sellers) a way around the credit caps.

Those players already don't have access to credit depositing and withdrawing from the guild bank. The restriction already exists in the game. If done like the guild banks, then there is no problem.

Look, the whole F2P/Prefered status credit limit issue is negligible. As of right now everyone gets the option to somehow acquire a legacy cargo hold with no credit storage for their stronghold right? Just implement an "upgraded" legacy cargo for subscribers that has the credit option. Maybe something like a guild bank clone, but smaller. Heck I would be satisfied even if this was something I had to purchase from the cartel market (Here's a free of charge genius idea for you here Bioware :)) Or add a limit on standard credit storage for non-subscribers. I don't feel this is thinking that far outside the box. One last thing: Someone in this thread stated that logging on different characters and depositing money into your legacy storage is as much of a hassle as logging onto different characters and mailing the credits to one character. What??? Sure it might be the same the first time, but you deposit it all once, and then it's always there. From then on whenever you decide you want to play a different character you can just make quick deposits whenever. The credits are always there for you to grab from when needed. It is nowhere close to the hassle of having to log on eight alts to mail credits to one alt just to buy something. Not to mention how awesome legacy credit storage would be when it comes to repairs or the fact that we still have to spend six figures just to re-mod a set of gear.

That really makes no sense. Imagine a hypothetical situation: my character, Darth Kulyok, goes and crafts some hilts for my other character, Lord Voldemort, to use. She also wants to leave him one million credits, because he's Lord Voldemort, and he'd be angry if she doesn't.

Okay, Lord Voldemort logs in, opens the legacy hold, finds his hilts, but no credits. Ding! It's the mailbox. "Sorry, Voldie, wanted to put some credits in the storage, but the big bad developers wouldn't let me! See ya! - Kulyok."

I think there'd be an Avada Kedavra coming on. Or another major TOS violation. :)

Edited by Kulyok

IMO the code for the Guild bank would make a good base to create a Legacy bank. Had I designed Legacy storage, I would have likely used a modified version of the Guild bank.

The Guild bank is already set up to restrict preferred and free usage with respect to credits, to my knowledge. So no issue there. They would have to remove some functionality of the bank, like the function tabs and actual storage, leaving just the credit storage.

I would suggest they strip out the storage and function tabs, set it up to recognize your legacy, and give it third priority with respect to repair withdrawals. Then they can use one of the safe models to represent the terminal.

Viola. Legacy credit storage. Stripping out the tabs and the storage will likely create function bugs, especially with respect to Legacy recognition, so it will likely need some work.