Cartel Market will have opposite effect than intended

KhalDrogoe

Because you decided to go the fail Battle Master Bag route, people aren't going to bother with the gambling anymore.

The point of the market I thought was to provide a few extra things for people to use their coins on. Now instead of wanting to keep money in your pockets, I predict that no one is going to dish out anymore for the the rolling of the bags. I can see them going to 3rd party sites to buy credits (cheaper than your cartel coins) and just buying whatever they want that way.

If you're wanting a continued successful in-game store for people to dump their money into, make it worthwhile, or else they're just going to go to 3rd party websites that can ACTUALLY OFFER THEM the things they want.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what the heck are you talking about

He's talking about the fact people are f'n tired of gambling for cool loot. Granted I agree with this sentiment, but it does keep the cool loot rare....and unless someone steps in and regulates the industry you can expect to see more gambling boxes in MMO's. *shrugs*

In regards to your question, Patbeal, the author of this post is talking about the flaws of the new Cartel Packs that were intended to have players buy them for a chance at unique items, but they will actually make players not want to risk the gamble. This in turn makes said players turn to other sites in order to buy credits for them to buy the items in the game, which makes the Cartel Market obsolete.

I agree with you that the new packs are a gamble; however they're a gamble for a reason. Bioware created these packs for players to have a chance at unique items that you can't get anywhere else. Also, it is my understanding that these packs aren't available for sale with ordinary credits. Without the cartel coins, players won't be able to get these unique items. So in summary, these packs do encourage a gamble, but they offer enough diverse rewards to keep the packs relevant.

Also, it is my understanding that these packs aren't available for sale with ordinary credits. Without the cartel coins, players won't be able to get these unique items.

You can sell the packs for creds on the GTN...also people will just buy what they want from GTN using, as OP suggested, creds sourced from who knows where...

Edited by lollie

You can sell the packs for creds on the GTN...also people will just buy what they want from GTN using, as OP suggested, creds sourced from who knows where...

this is what I did. i have been playing the GTN game for months and saving up. blew 40 million over 2 days, got everything i wanted and extras for my alts, and i didn't even need to spend any real money on gambling packs

awesome system they have i thought

Edited by FourTwent

this is what I did. i have been playing the GTN game for months and saving up. blew 40 million over 2 days, got everything i wanted and extras for my alts, and i didn't even need to spend any real money on gambling packs

awesome system they have i thought

40 million credits? You must have played the GTN for a quite a while.

He's talking about the fact people are f'n tired of gambling for cool loot. Granted I agree with this sentiment, but it does keep the cool loot rare....and unless someone steps in and regulates the industry you can expect to see more gambling boxes in MMO's. *shrugs*

working as intended,

There was a posting made by someone who spent over $240.00 already in extra cartel coins. That alone, is equal to 16 new paid subs. I personally did not spend anywhere near that amount however, I did purchase some more coins for a bit of a gamble and fun on some bags. Between my paid subscription and my extra coins, I provided BW with about 3 accounts for the month. 2 of which would be considered new.

Just a couple examples here. But indeed, this is working just as they had planned. They are making money now hand over fist. I personally hope they continue to make money so the enjoyment this game brings to some continues.

No one, has said for anyone to purchase just cartel packs or underworld ones. There are other things you can purchase that do not include the gamble.

There was a posting made by someone who spent over $240.00 already in extra cartel coins. That alone, is equal to 16 new paid subs. I personally did not spend anywhere near that amount however, I did purchase some more coins for a bit of a gamble and fun on some bags. Between my paid subscription and my extra coins, I provided BW with about 3 accounts for the month. 2 of which would be considered new.

Just a couple examples here. But indeed, this is working just as they had planned. They are making money now hand over fist. I personally hope they continue to make money so the enjoyment this game brings to some continues.

No one, has said for anyone to purchase just cartel packs or underworld ones. There are other things you can purchase that do not include the gamble.

I like the Cartel Market a whole lot; I spent 1200 of my 1800 free coins on unlocking the twi'lek and zabrak racial unlocks and the rest of it on gambling boxes. It was actually quite fruitful!

I don't have a problem with the gambling stuff just because it's totally optional. You can choose to buy it or you can choose to know what you're getting - it's your money and your decision.

I have to say I could care less if people go to website to buy credits, items or whatever they want. It is their money and they can do with it as they please. If it violates any rules EA has set forth you can count on no hands how many ****s I give. I am not here to police the game just to play it. I swear to mighty Zeus if I have to tear down the walls of EA I will own the Sith Meditation Throne by whatever means I have available to me.

On topic the OP is incorrect because someone will have to buy the packs to open them up to sell the items. What does it matter where that money comes from. EA and Bioware will make money. Does it promote CC farming if you can even call it that yes. Do i give a ****? NO! Wait until they offer a way to trade CC for credits and vice versa people will **** golden bricks.

Edited by Scovina

Some players paying significant money for gambling is how a number of games' business models operate. It is their choice to do so.

I liken it to this. You have the free option of repeating killing enemies until they drop something cool. This spends time and has always been there. You now have the monetary option of repeatedly spending money until it drops something cool.

Sounds like working as intended to me. It's not supposed to be pay to win 'oh look I bought the cool gun'.

I haven't spent anything on the market due to those boxes. Why would I pay for a slight chance that I might get what I want? It makes no bloody sense. Especially not when I would pay a good amount of money for it if it was a certainty, I just hate gambling.

I have to say I could care less if people go to website to buy credits, items or whatever they want. It is their money and they can do with it as they please. If it violates any rules EA has set forth you can count on no hands how many ****s I give. I am not here to police the game just to play it. I swear to mighty Zeus if I have to tear down the walls of EA I will own the Sith Meditation Throne by whatever means I have available to me.

On topic the OP is incorrect because someone will have to buy the packs to open them up to sell the items. What does it matter where that money comes from. EA and Bioware will make money. Does it promote CC farming if you can even call it that yes. Do i give a ****? NO! Wait until they offer a way to trade CC for credits and vice versa people will **** golden bricks.

You dont care because all you think about is the YOU. If people didnt buy gold then these credit farmers wouldnt exist. If they didnt exist then there wouldnt be people getting their accounts hacked for the gold selling business. You may think it will never happen to you but it very well could. I dont care how secure you think you are.

This is why gambling works. Ask anyone down the bookies they'll believe the win more than they lose, the reality is almost certainly the direct opposite.

some people will buy anything most wont touch the packs cos we know they are a cash grab the other that do can sell the repeated stuff they get to us for credits

as for the shop faillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll its got stuff all to buy but will get better im sure now they have opened up most of the stuff that was already on the disk we paid for almost 1 year ago:rolleyes:

Edited by TheLordMagnus

Judging from the amount of items sold on the GNT already, many, many people have bought packs, and I am rather thankful for it, because I have enough time to grind dailies and buy what I want this way without gambling.

Many people also posted about buying coins already, so it's not all people who spent their accumulated coins from being a subscriber. So far, the concept seems to work - people spend money! We'll have to see if it lasts or if people get fed up/upset with the gambling aspect of it.

Btw, the mask of Nihilus sells for more than 20 millions on my server - not buying that! :cool:

I would like to agree with the orginal post but it seems people are buying these boxes by the ton. Now I know a lot of people look at the cartel coins we got for subbing as "free" so you can use them for anything even lotto boxes. However the forum seems to have a large number of people complaining that all they got was rap after buying thousands of cartel coins. So far I have spent none of my points. I suspect that once most people have blown through their free coins some cool stuff will appear, and secondly when the number of items drop we will have limited time sales.

Judging from the amount of items sold on the GNT already, many, many people have bought packs, and I am rather thankful for it, because I have enough time to grind dailies and buy what I want this way without gambling.

Many people also posted about buying coins already, so it's not all people who spent their accumulated coins from being a subscriber. So far, the concept seems to work - people spend money! We'll have to see if it lasts or if people get fed up/upset with the gambling aspect of it.

Btw, the mask of Nihilus sells for more than 20 millions on my server - not buying that! :cool:

It's already down to 8 million on mine, due to the sheer number of them getting up there. So many players are purchasing those gambling packs in hopes to strike gold the market is currently flooding with those items :p.

Dude was just asking for 4mil or best offer on my server

lol. The odds of winning good loot are ludicrously high. You want to see the opposite: TCG. The one cool bunker or vehicle and you'd better be prepared to pay through the nose or shell out millions of credits. Like others said, buy the stuff off of GTN, it's dirt cheap now the the market is flooded.

And no, the industry is already regulated thank you very much. You just need to learn self control and release that these are only pixels. When the game shuts down - POOF! all gone.