How do I beat the spirit of Vaylin???

MarshallSecond

I found as a Sentinel (so will apply to Mara as well) that using Force Camoflage when going after the green blobs helps. I've no idea if Force Cloak would also work since I haven't played it on my Sin yet. It also helps to hide behind the rock pillars while your health regenerates and your cooldowns finish. The fight doesn't reset so taking your time was key for me.

If you use Force Cloak, it just re-starts her health all the way to full health, nullifying all previous hard work to take her down.

I mean seriously, what sort of boss has this insane amount of health, can teleport, make you stuck (with a crappy 2 minute regeneration cool down time?), damage you from ultra-far away, and you can only use green circles to damage her? What the F........I'm on Jedi Shadow, which apparently is a useless class against Vaylin Spirit. Tried all 3 skill versions, TANK, INFILTRATOR and whatever the other one was.

About to call in and cancel my subscription today.

Edited by JianXin

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on Jedi Shadow, which apparently is a useless class against Vaylin Spirit.

It's a perfectly viable class - you're melee and she's designed for melee players.

I'd suggest tank stance and running her to the green circles 4 times. You don't even have to attack her once. Isn't that easy?

It's a perfectly viable class - you're melee and she's designed for melee players.

I'd suggest tank stance and running her to the green circles 4 times. You don't even have to attack her once. Isn't that easy?

I did that. I don't even try to engage her and use the green circles to damage her, but even after I do, I keep a far distance and she just force leaps at me or uses force siphon then my character is dead. I keep Force of Will in the vest, since it takes 2 mins to recharge.

I did that. I don't even try to engage her and use the green circles to damage her, but even after I do, I keep a far distance and she just force leaps at me or uses force siphon then my character is dead. I keep Force of Will in the vest, since it takes 2 mins to recharge.

What server are you on?

I think you can interrupt siphon and she only force leaps if you're more than 15 meters or so away.

I think you can interrupt siphon and she only force leaps if you're more than 15 meters or so away.

Don't interrupt. Bash her in her purple circle until she reaches 30 stack on her bar. Then run. She may jump to you. But use your ability to get out of stun and keep running to the other side. Soonish you'll see a red circle appear. Stay out of the red circle. Wait. She' ll unleash her fury then make sure your back is to the stone to have another 30 hits on her.

Don't interrupt. Bash her in her purple circle until she reaches 30 stack on her bar. Then run. She may jump to you. But use your ability to get out of stun and keep running to the other side. Soonish you'll see a red circle appear. Stay out of the red circle. Wait. She' ll unleash her fury then make sure your back is to the stone to have another 30 hits on her.

^Now that's some good advice.

Uhm, what happens when I decide to settle it with Vaylin's spirit, and simply omit the quest? What content can I play then? Can I e.g. somehow by-pass the whole thing by waiting for the next expansion?

You can do the Iokath content as long as you're level 70. I'm guessing the post-Iokath content will also only have that level requirement as well (since it wouldn't make sense to let people skip KOTFE/KOTET to do Iokath only to force them to do it for the next stuff).

My strategy was to attack her, run of up stairs for her AOE, run down, and repeat. I would just use a healing memory if I got below 70%. I was able to do it in one try on my vigilance guardian.

I cannot keep my scoundrel's health above 70%.

About to call in and cancel my subscription today.

And I have been wondering how many paid subscribers are thinking about rage-quitting because of this sadistic monstrosity of a fight.

This thread does seem to have attracted some braggarts who say "I beat her" without really providing any help for those who need it.

and I am tired of being told how "easy" the fight is.

• 4 weeks later...
And I have been wondering how many paid subscribers are thinking about rage-quitting because of this sadistic monstrosity of a fight.

I recently came back to SWTOR to see the new content, even resubbed.

I just unsubbed after running into this fight.

I tried and tried but couldn't do it.

Certainly not going to level another character only to run into this again.

I'm out.

OK, so, threads like this scared the crap out of me while I was doing KotET, so I went out, bought a bunch of gear (trying to raise most of my stuff at least over 200 and ditch the fricking Alacrity gear that RNG is convinced I need more of), and did the fight. I was shocked when I actually beat her on the first try (it helped that Arcann was still alive, so I didn't have to deal with him as well), and this is what I did:

DISCLAIMER: I did this on story mode. Because I'm a pansy. But what I did should work for any class. I was a DPS (Sharpshooter Gunslinger. Yes, the spec sucks. Sue me.) without any endurance-focused gear, so I don't think I had any particular advantage in terms of health.

1: Do. Not. Attack her. There's just no point. There are more effective ways to damage her, and attacking her lets her use that knockback ability.

2: Kite her in circles around the throne. If you stand still too long, she can catch you in that move where she smashes you into the ground a bunch of times and you can't break out of it. Better to stay out of her range as much as possible.

3: Prioritize using the Memories of Healing for yourself.

4: If you think you can survive another hit from her, then kite her through the MoH.

5: If you have healing or defensive abilities, use them.

I only attacked her when she was stunned and down to a sliver of health, and the game was lagging pretty hard, so she might have already been dead.

It was a pretty intense fight, so I don't think this strategy will work every time, but it should make it possible.

This thread does seem to have attracted some braggarts who say "I beat her" without really providing any help for those who need it.

and I am tired of being told how "easy" the fight is.

I won't describe it as easy, in the sense of being feasible by "facerolling", that is, rolling your face back and forth across the keyboard.

Probably the most important thing to remember about it is that, unlike most character-story and planet-story end-boss fights in SWTOR, this is mechanics-laden, like an Operation or Flashpoint boss. (Or like many character-story bosses in a game like GW2, in fact.) It is not *simply* a case of "spank and tank", as they say.

But the mechanics aren't particularly odious. They require you to pay attention to what is going on, and they impose a set of rules on what you may or may not do, and what you must do, and, most importantly, what you must NOT do:

* Never, ever attack her if you are not inside the purple circle attached to her feet. This circle marks the maximum range allowed for your attacks. If you attack from outside that circle, she reflects your damage onto you.

* Put your "stun breaker" ability (noted as "Purges incapacitating effects" or similar) somewhere you can find it easily. Use it to break her ability "Force Slam", which is easily distinguished by you being stunned as you bounce up and down. Do NOT use it for anything else.

* When she curls up into a ball and floats in the air, she is casting a huge knock-back. This takes ten seconds to cast, and will throw you back a large distance. If you land on something solid, you will be stunned for a few seconds. It is fairly likely that you will be thrown off the floating island and if so, you will die.

* When she does that, run the ---- away. Ten seconds is more than enough time to get clear of the red "cast" circle on the floor. If you are wounded, find a memory circle thing and heal yourself.

* If you can position yourself so that she runs through a memory circle as she comes to find you after casting the knock-back, so much the better. She will take damage equal to 20-25% of her maximum health.

* If you have self-heals, use them.

* Make intelligent use of your DCDs ("defensive cooldowns") to protect yourself.

Non-technique advice:

* In Chapter VII, take the Dark Side hit and imprison Lord D. As advice goes, this isn't very helpful if you've already finished that chapter, but for your next character, it's worth considering. But this isn't *necessary* - it makes it easier, but even a DPS-only class like Gunslinger can manage without him. (I know a GS can do this - I've done it.)

* Check your gear. 200-rated is not enough. 210-rated is probably enough for skilled players, but the rest of us should go to the GTN or our crew-skills and buy / craft something better. Or crank your Galactic Command level a bit and use the gear you get from that.

* Check your gear. Tank-spec gear (with Defense, Shield, or Absorb) is de rigeur for tank-spec characters, but should not be used by anyone else.

* Check your gear. Apply augments appropriate to your class. On my Gunnery Commando, I use an unholy mix of Alacrity and Critical purple-228 augments.

* Check your stats in your character panel. You are seeking as close to 110% Accuracy, and 10% Alacrity as you can get, and then raise Critical and Mastery/Power.

* Buy or craft the appropriate level 61-purple stim to give yourself a boost. "Advanced Versatile Polybiotic" is the one you want for a DPS character.