Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

3 Questions for PT. Lets DO IT!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
3 Questions for PT. Lets DO IT!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Sosajoshua
05.16.2014 , 04:53 PM | #221
Quote: Originally Posted by gocard View Post
Honestly, as long as they give each advanced class a viable DPS spec, I think it's tough to complain. Preventing people from having to roll another character for endgame PVE or PVP because your class is so far behind other classes should be priority #1, and it doesn't feel like they've gotten to that point yet (assassin and PT dps is lacking in PVE, operative dps is lacking in PVP). Only when they've accomplished that is when I would start looking at secondary DPS trees. So if the devs give us the Pyro tree for PVE dps, I can't really argue with them ignoring AP while they balance out other advanced classes.
Forgive me if i see this as an excuse.

Granted, I recognize that BW overall has been trying to enhance and change shared tress (Pyro/Assault, Madness/Balance, Lethality/Dirtyfighting, Rage/Focus) and this is a good thing because there are problems that one class has with the spec that another doesn't. However, there are a large majority of players (for the sake of the argument let us stay without this class) that play Advanced Prototype. Why should we not receive appropriate enhancements and changes to our spec that at least puts it on average with the other spec? Now I have not done PvE content since Oricon so someone can detail this but from a PvP perspective Advanced Prototype, what should be the burst spec between it and Pyro, is a spec with low damage output but great utility and passive defense. Now I am not saying "drop a bunch of buff so I can be OP" but give us some damage or surge or alter the abilities so that we actually are the Burst spec of this class. It's like with our utility and defenses we are just there to yank people all the time and never get rooted. No one wants to play a class we wanna enjoy AP and not feel so underwheing doing it.
<A Wretched Hive> Jedi Covenant Rhaegis, Madness Sorcerer / Youngdragon, Advanced Proto-tech / Kha'leesi, Engineering Sniper / Dragonbane, Vengence Juggernaut

TACeMossie
05.16.2014 , 05:53 PM | #222
Quote: Originally Posted by Sosajoshua View Post
Forgive me if i see this as an excuse.

Granted, I recognize that BW overall has been trying to enhance and change shared tress (Pyro/Assault, Madness/Balance, Lethality/Dirtyfighting, Rage/Focus) and this is a good thing because there are problems that one class has with the spec that another doesn't. However, there are a large majority of players (for the sake of the argument let us stay without this class) that play Advanced Prototype. Why should we not receive appropriate enhancements and changes to our spec that at least puts it on average with the other spec? Now I have not done PvE content since Oricon so someone can detail this but from a PvP perspective Advanced Prototype, what should be the burst spec between it and Pyro, is a spec with low damage output but great utility and passive defense. Now I am not saying "drop a bunch of buff so I can be OP" but give us some damage or surge or alter the abilities so that we actually are the Burst spec of this class. It's like with our utility and defenses we are just there to yank people all the time and never get rooted. No one wants to play a class we wanna enjoy AP and not feel so underwheing doing it.
To be fair, in an operations context AP is superior for Draxus, Grob'Thok (excludes NiM), Corruptor Zero, Brontes and Bestia, as well as the Initial Past phase of Calphayus (and if you want pyro at any other time you can respec mid fight... i've done it :P) as well as the second future phase of NiM Calphayus if you can get the orbs together.

Pyro got buffs because the only fight it wasn't a liability on was the Dread Council fight, where it was good for kiting Raptus around, and fast people could respec to AP for the last phase (and the Styrak + Brontes phase in NiM) because they can utilize the AoE Reduction + the close proximity of the bosses to each other to get the max output of AP in it.

TL;DR, without the pyro buffs, PTs were only useful as a tank for Nefra, NiM Grob'thok, Tyrans, Future->Past team Calphayus, and Raptus, and anything else is gimping yourself.
Kwerty, Level 65 Vanguard/Powertech on The Harbinger

3.0 Guides: Vanguard DPS Guide | Powertech DPS Guide
4.0 Guides: Advanced Prototype | Pyrotech

Sosajoshua
05.17.2014 , 08:08 AM | #223
Now I have not done PvE content since Oricon so someone can detail this...
lol I did say this somewhere in my last post it's not that I'm saying AP doesnt have PvE leverage over Pyro I just havent done PvE content recently so I couldn't speak for it. Even then I believe you making note of the defenses capabilities and not damage output
<A Wretched Hive> Jedi Covenant Rhaegis, Madness Sorcerer / Youngdragon, Advanced Proto-tech / Kha'leesi, Engineering Sniper / Dragonbane, Vengence Juggernaut

gocard
05.18.2014 , 01:25 AM | #224
...but from a PvP perspective Advanced Prototype, what should be the burst spec between it and Pyro, is a spec with low damage output but great utility and passive defense. Now I am not saying "drop a bunch of buff so I can be OP" but give us some damage or surge or alter the abilities so that we actually are the Burst spec of this class. It's like with our utility and defenses we are just there to yank people all the time and never get rooted. No one wants to play a class we wanna enjoy AP and not feel so underwheing doing it.
Why is AP the burst spec? Seems like AP is the AOE or multi-target damage spec of the class because of the reliance on Flame Thrower, while PT is the burst or single target spec because of the reliance on Rail Shot.
Harbinger: NeymÔr - Shadow | Neymar - Vanguard | NÚymar - Powertech
Huttball Videos

Sosajoshua
05.18.2014 , 11:49 AM | #225
Quote: Originally Posted by gocard View Post
Why is AP the burst spec? Seems like AP is the AOE or multi-target damage spec of the class because of the reliance on Flame Thrower, while PT is the burst or single target spec because of the reliance on Rail Shot.
Pyro is the dot spec and it relies on those dots for everything. IM, CGC, and TD burn each apply a dot and Rail Shot refreshes the CGC that is applied by Rocket Punch and FlameBurst. The reliance of Rail shot is mainly to reapply the dot constantly not do damage itself (though it indeed does).

AP has (on paper) high damage in Immolate, a free Rocket Punch, and a 100% Rail Shot added to that the 7 missile Shoulder Cannon and then of course boosted Flamethrower (all hitting harder if affected by Retractable Blade dot). I am not saying AP isnt the AoE of the class but it should be functioning more as the burst spec than Pyro seems to do. The only move that should be subpar for AP is Flameburst as it is your filler to help build FT proc