Why do all the space stations look the same?

Xeta

That architect must be swimming in credits, selling his plans to the Empire planet stations and fleet, Republic planet stations and fleet, Port Nowhere, Maelstrom Prison, Llanic Station, Balosar Outpost, etc etc etc.

I would bet they were all made by the Czerka corporation :D

It's entirely possible some kind of corporation has a monopoly on building space stations, since it seems to be a rather big investment - and since they appear to be public space (aka they belong to the government rather than a private person/corp) the ones in charge would choose efficiency and a small price tag over individuality.

Presto, you've got clone stations all over the galaxy.

it is quite poor designing that republic and sith share the same design, and then you do space missions for neutral station or class stories and even they look the same. similar to them having the same designs for thedocking stations, how come both republic and sith have orbital stations on ilum when they are at war?

but, the beauty of MMOs is constant updates.....but i think they have bigger things to deal with right now

it is quite poor designing that republic and sith share the same design, and then you do space missions for neutral station or class stories and even they look the same. similar to them having the same designs for thedocking stations, how come both republic and sith have orbital stations on ilum when they are at war?

but, the beauty of MMOs is constant updates.....but i think they have bigger things to deal with right now

ICly it makes sense to have a single design. If it functions and it is a lot of work to design it and a lot of prefab manufacturing and space construction to assemble, it makes sense to go with a unified approach.

Those things are around for centuries or millenia so everybody needs to be able to swap segments in and out when they need to be replaced. Again pointing at a universal design.

Shared airlock design is not necessarily true, though you could argue that the empire would opt to steal a functioning and near universal design rather than try to whip up something of their own with all inherent bugs, just to be contrary. And with forcefield technology prevalent you need only approximate dimensions on your airlock and have forcefield to prevent your station or ship from displacing its atmosphere.

OOCly, the design of a zone is a lot of work and the exterior of the thing is only really used in a few cutscenses of ships arriving and taking off. Why bother with all the design and modelling work for that? I mean if you follow the discussions on this board there are plenty of players who would rather do away with stations and travel entirely and instead have a menu Guild Wars style that can sent them directly to any instance or planet from any other instance or planet.

It makes a lot of sense for the docking areas to be identical. There is probably a galatic wide specification to cover such areas. No ship builder would want to loose trade because they couldn't dock with a certain type of station or ship.

Likewise the economies of scale would dictate that a sucsesful space station design would become prelevant throught the galaxy regardless of polit6ical afiliation.

its called lazyness on Bioware's part, alot of cave have the same design as well just the content change but the layout remains exactly the same. Why make different looking plans when you can use the same over and over its not like us player are gonna notices we are not that brilliant :cool:

That architect must be swimming in credits, selling his plans to the Empire planet stations and fleet, Republic planet stations and fleet, Port Nowhere, Maelstrom Prison, Llanic Station, Balosar Outpost, etc etc etc.

more likly they became used with CRTL+C CRTL+v and they ignored that

Also before the Empire invaded everything was republic so it possible (although unlikely) that they are all built from a master plan so that no matter what planet you are on you will know where all the important stuff is in the facility. And the cost would be less as it can be pre-fab.

The Empire would not waste resources demolishing everything then rebuilding it just to be different.

• 1 year later...
I just want the space stations to be gone. They're annoying to travel through, and I'd rather land my ship on a groundside space port.

Sure, but on a lot of the planets there isn't really a plausible reason to have a spaceport. How would you justify one on Ilum, for instance? Or Belsavis?

Sure, but on a lot of the planets there isn't really a plausible reason to have a spaceport. How would you justify one on Ilum, for instance? Or Belsavis?
And how would you justify having both Republic and Imperial space stations over contested space?

Did nobody think to send a squadron of bombers to blow the others up? No wonder this was has being going on for over three decades... :rolleyes: