Ideas for potential future classes

Jarcoby

Just thought I'd jump in and give people a place to talk about and suggest a new potential class to give the developers some ideas. My suggestion is the Matukai, as they originally formed some time before the Old Sith Wars, which I think would put them as active during the time setting of SWTOR. I'd have suggested the Zeison Sha, but I don't know if they would fit in the time line. Anyone else want to weigh in?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is exactly what they are called, Fallen or Dark Jedi. Of course to do that, just play a Jedi and choose the dark side options and earn dark side tiers. I'd say tier 1-3 is the levels of a Fallen Jedi and 4-5 are the full on Dark Jedi.

That is exactly what they are called, Fallen or Dark Jedi. Of course to do that, just play a Jedi and choose the dark side options and earn dark side tiers. I'd say tier 1-3 is the levels of a Fallen Jedi and 4-5 are the full on Dark Jedi.

not the same thing cause of a story i would want a class story about it yes i could play a jedi knight be fully dark side matter in fact i have but it doesn't feel like a dark jedi that's why if they would add a new class i would love a fallen jedi class and vis vera for republic

Well to be honest I haven't really played much on the light side. I think my highest light side character is my smuggler who literally just got high enough level to get his ship, so I will have to wait till I try it. I've not much use for the light side. My main is a sorceror who only has 200 lightside points cause I racked them up trying to max out Ashara's effection and finish her story. I'm nearly tier 5 darkside in spite of that in fact, just 1200 points away, and I should get it now that I'm switching back to Khem Val.

The problem with new classes is making new animations, new armors, new class quests, the intros and text crawls, maybe even a new intro planet for an extra new class (origin planets contain two classes), and above all else, more voice acting. Sound files add a whole lot to the game. It wouldn't be practical to add two things so huge. An imperial trooper would basically be a Republic Trooper only Imperial aligned, so there'd be no real distinction from the 'new' trooper from a Bounty Hunter, Dark Jedi from a Sith, etc.

The problem with new classes is making new animations, new armors, new class quests, the intros and text crawls, maybe even a new intro planet for an extra new class (origin planets contain two classes), and above all else, more voice acting. Sound files add a whole lot to the game. It wouldn't be practical to add two things so huge. An imperial trooper would basically be a Republic Trooper only Imperial aligned, so there'd be no real distinction from the 'new' trooper from a Bounty Hunter, Dark Jedi from a Sith, etc.

true but doesn't hurt to just out ideas out there for the hell of it

Further, my suggestion is a sect of force users who use neither the Jedi or Sith codes and ideals. They could be used to give a third outlook that is neither of the two. Meanwhile, if they would fit within the timeline the Zeison Sha would be a group that would see both the Jedi and Sith as "the bad guys" as they see the Jedi as having left them to die during some war with the Sith. They are the decendants of Jedi who got stranded on a planet that the Jedi tried to hide them on because the war wasn't going well for the Jedi. A somewhat inhospitable planet at that.

the easier class to implement might be a droid class with no mirror. Just a startarea with an imperial npc and a republic npc that you end up choosing on of them to follow. You might need to choose allignment in character select for guild reasons, but with a warning like "you cant join a guild untill choosing side at end of starterplanet" i dont see a problem.

Classquest would very similar for imp and rep, to shorten development time. Since starterplanets are so divided the first levels you would need to put a rep and a imp version of the same quest on some planets ofc. With similar classquests it would have to be more about gathering upgrades for yourself and getting items for your choosen faction from ex. pirates and smuglers than killing sith lords and jedi knights. Generic siths and jedis could work ofc, but the more story the sith´s and jedi´s get the harder they will be to factioncopy.

Droids class would be for droid"race" only ofc. In customisation you should be able to pick a few different types of droids. Been thinking about a change of chassis thing for when you pick advanced class, but i think it would feel wrong, at least for me, to change "droid" at level 10. Better to keep it in customisation.

I kinda like the idea of a class who lay down turrets and flamedroids and other types of minidroids. It could work well for a droid class.

Ofc the classquest beeing such a big thing in swtor lessens the likelyhood of us ever getting more classes. Maybe if you added a class with much less story. F.x. you could start the new class at level 40 and make a some requirements for starting that class. Then this new class would only get a chapter 3 and a prologue. During the prologue you could set some moral choices so you could start of with a fair amout of dark/light side points. The prologue would basicly be chapter one and 2 mashed together in one big voiceover.

the easier class to implement might be a droid class with no mirror. Just a startarea with an imperial npc and a republic npc that you end up choosing on of them to follow. You might need to choose allignment in character select for guild reasons, but with a warning like "you cant join a guild untill choosing side at end of starterplanet" i dont see a problem.

Classquest would very similar for imp and rep, to shorten development time. Since starterplanets are so divided the first levels you would need to put a rep and a imp version of the same quest on some planets ofc. With similar classquests it would have to be more about gathering upgrades for yourself and getting items for your choosen faction from ex. pirates and smuglers than killing sith lords and jedi knights. Generic siths and jedis could work ofc, but the more story the sith´s and jedi´s get the harder they will be to factioncopy.

Droids class would be for droid"race" only ofc. In customisation you should be able to pick a few different types of droids. Been thinking about a change of chassis thing for when you pick advanced class, but i think it would feel wrong, at least for me, to change "droid" at level 10. Better to keep it in customisation.

I kinda like the idea of a class who lay down turrets and flamedroids and other types of minidroids. It could work well for a droid class.

Ofc the classquest beeing such a big thing in swtor lessens the likelyhood of us ever getting more classes. Maybe if you added a class with much less story. F.x. you could start the new class at level 40 and make a some requirements for starting that class. Then this new class would only get a chapter 3 and a prologue. During the prologue you could set some moral choices so you could start of with a fair amout of dark/light side points. The prologue would basicly be chapter one and 2 mashed together in one big voiceover.

I could see this as a Legacy Class unlock. Get an Imperial AND a Republic character both to 50 with legacy level (insert whatever here) and BAM!!! I believe any class they put in from here on out SHOULD be one in which faction could be chosen so as to limit the total amount of resources needed to add that class. Making it a legacy unlock could force some type of "sense" into starting at Chapter 3. Your idea of a droid class is excellent with the dialogue/moral choice limitations (as for as a "class" based story) and also helps add sense into getting the bugger at a starting higher level.

About the only purpose to my idea of it being a legacy unlock is to add SOMETHING that requires a higher level legacy since, as far as I know, above level 25, there is nothing. Also with making the requirements to have level 50s of both sides shows you have played through quite a bit so would be better able to choose which faction the new class would be out the gate by limiting the amount of possible remorse at playing choosing a faction you end up hating due to quest structure, planet order, dailies, or community.

true but doesn't hurt to just out ideas out there for the hell of it

True but nor does it hurt to think things through properly and only speak when something is worth saying.

Not knocking anyone or any ideas in here, but any new class has to be very different to the existing classes in both story and gameplay for them to be worth the effort. Adding another type of jedi/sith doesn't give you much to play with aside from animations considering you already have most of the bases covered. Adding another 'man with a gun' doesn't add much either, no matter how much you want to show off that you read starwars books (Never a good thing, even here).

A droid of some kind (iirc correclty that was poo-pooed early on though), or someone that controls droids (Pet class) etc could actually bring something different to the game and they are the type of ideas worth trying to start a conversation about, not just someone who wants a more flashy looking lightsaber character.

Witches of Dathomir :)

No more needs to be said... sort of like a sorcerer class but a bit more mage like... spirit type attacks that perhaps leech life force and transfer it to the caster. Also could be more similar to the Illusionist archetype with some some powerful AoE cc, you know... controlling the life force of groups of enemies.

Ladies and Gentleman I give you Teras Kasi Artist.

The problem with Teras Kasi is, and always will be, that Teras Kasi is, pretty much by definition, an anti-Force fighting style. It's part of the history. The timeline of TOR, Teras Kasi would have been a freshly developed discipline and, as such, wouldn't have had the time to leak outside of the order, which was notoriously antagonistic towards the Jedi Council and, presumably, the Sith as well (since they didn't like the Force). It wouldn't make sense for a decided anti-Force combatant to willingly ally themselves with either faction since, in both cases, the respective Councils have a *lot* of authority.

SWG got away with it because Jedi were friggin' rare in the timeframe of the movie (so they wouldn't be a major concern), and we're talking about nearly 4 millenia of cultural evolution and individuals leaving the order while maintaining their skills to teach to people outside of the order. TOR takes place at pretty much the *height* of Jedi and Sith activity in the universe. A *lot* of the quests, not to mention the overt planet storylines, revolve around working for the Jedi in one way or another. How does that grok with someone that's been trained to believe that the Jedi are bad and that those who aren't Force sensitive, decked out in the fanciest of new military equipment, or just damned lucky need a way to fight back against them (the express purpose of the Teras Kasi meditation techniques was to close one's mind to the Force) lest they wreak havoc on unsuspecting innocent planets all over again?

This isn't to say that an unarmed combat class is completely without merit. There is an artefactual category of weapons called "Fist Weapons" buried in the code (found via datamining) so, at some point, it probably occurred to the developers to have them included. The problem is in finding a style of unarmed combat that already exists within the canon (since I doubt the developers want to create an entire class, including backstory and theme, from scratch) that works within the time frame (which is why Teras Kasi is out) while having equivalent options provided to both factions. Even then, you'd have to come up with a reason why the developers should actually put forth all of the effort to develop another class (which is the biggest issue, as I see it, since it involves writing and recording a *lot* of story and dialogue; the class design itself is relatively simple once you've done the creative work of coming up with a core mechanic and theme).

Even if you required the class be bought with Cartel Coins (which is the most likely way it would be implemented, though subscribers would likely get it automatically), you have to wonder how many people would spend the extra money on it if it performs on par with the other classes and simply provides a different aesthetic (at that point, you have to debate whether it's better to use as a marketing tool to get people to start playing the game or an actual product that some people wouldn't bother buying). This is probably the biggest hurdle since developing a new class represents more overall effort than pretty much any other potential endeavor in the game at the moment (barring completely new systems like the Super Secret Space Project or guild ships/planets/etc).

As to what I would do with an unarmed combat class, I would go with Echani, rather than Teras Kasi: it's a more appropriate combat style for the time (Echani was referenced in the original KotOR as well as being even more involved in KotOR 2) and (for the factions (since the Echani had no specific problem with Force users) and provides options for both unarmed combat (via gauntlet weapons) and armed combat (vibroblades), not to mention some kewl possibilities for a tree devoted to turning your existing vibroblade into anEchani Ritual Brand for some interesting visuals and elemental damage. Of course, the biggest problem (as I see it) is coming up with a way that non-Echani would be involved since Echani is as much a species as it is a culture (whereas Mandalorians are a culture rather than a species), though I guess you could go with "adopted child" path to explain any racial discrepancies (still feels like a cop out though).

Of course, when doing any development for an unarmed fighting class, you have to ask yourself what purpose it fulfills that isn't already fulfilled by another class. Thematically, it would be a new addition, but, mechanically, you'd be adding a new way to DPS and potentially tank in light or medium armor in an acrobatic style which Sentinels and Shadows already do perfectly well (I really don't see Echani as being a healing class, unless it's something obscure and almost absurd like Acupuncture). Unless you also tack on a new and substantially different resource mechanism (which is the primary factor in differentiating classes) to go with the story, you're really just reselling Shadows and Sentinels with fist weapons instead.

All in all, I'm hoping for an unarmed combat class sometime in the future (not the near future, for sure), but I'm hesitant to actually think it might happen. There is just too much involved in developing them combined with some problems in world building and lore that just make it difficult. Even if there was a groundswell of support, I have to wonder if the developers would actually do it (though I would bet more than a few people would make commentary about TOR developing "monks" just to mimic WoW's).

Personally, I'd like to see the Imperial guard and a mirror class of a Noble for the Republic. Using non-lightsaber melee weapons they could possibly do all three roles if planned right. Also, while they are mirrored in ability the stories would be very very different. Imperial Guard doing the Emperor's wishes while the Noble would be trying to bring honour to his family name. :D

New Faction Expansion to be payed for seperetly

Hutts

Class Mirror

Technologist Consular/Inqusitor Note:For force using classes they would acheive the same results Gladiator Knight/Warrior using technological feats.

Informant Agent/Smuggler

Sport Hunter Trooper/Bounty Hunter

Personally, I'd like to see the Imperial guard and a mirror class of a Noble for the Republic. Using non-lightsaber melee weapons they could possibly do all three roles if planned right. Also, while they are mirrored in ability the stories would be very very different. Imperial Guard doing the Emperor's wishes while the Noble would be trying to bring honour to his family name. :D

Would a noble really be out questing though or would he not be above that by virtue of his/her high birth?