Gaming laptop need help

Frothylager

Hey all, i'm looking to get a laptop and want it to run TOR.

I guess my first question, will a laptop ever run it at playable standards? 40-60fps medium -high graphic settings?

I can do my own research on newegg as to what to buy but i need info on the mobile gpus. They mostly look to be nvidia, what would get me my 40-60fps on med-high settings? Gtx 560m? Gt 460m? I assume gtx is better then gt.

Also what processor would be required? i7 2ghz? i5 2ghz?

If someone has a link with a good build im looking in the 1k dollar price tag, but do not want a blu ray, or 17" screen, im also fine with a 500Gb hdd.

Thanks

Edited by Frothylager

Have you also tried the options at HP & Dell? You can often build a system to your own specs cheaper than you can buy it.

(full disclosure, I do work for HP, although not in one of the divisions that would directly benefit from your purchase)

There's a great site called notebookcheck that you can use to compare different video cards and processors, btw

Edit: looking at that site, it appears the 560 is better than the 460, but both are what the site calls "class 1" cards. Any card in that class can likely play the game on high settings, but MMOs are notoriously CPU-dependent, so you'll need at least a high-end cpu as well

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214604 - that toshiba I would suspect could play on high settings just fine.

HP 15" customizable laptops can (usually) be upgraded to the Radeon 7690M. This card is not quite as powerful as the 560M, but is still in notebookcheck's class 1 list. By customizing the laptop, you can choose not to include things you're not interested in, and make sure you get exactly what you want. So, for instance, I can get an HP DV6Z with a 1gb 7690M, a 1920x1080p screen, a 160gb solid state hard drive, a quad-core A8-3550MX proc, and 6gb of memory, for 1,034.99.

Edited by reillan

Thank you, yes ive looked at dell, hp and asus. Unfortunetly i dont know enough about laptops to know what i need. Gpureview also doesnt have mobile cards so i cant benchmark them against my current 6870.

I take it the 560m and i5 2.5ghz will run it on high with solid fps?

If im ok with no AA and no shadows and everything else med 1080 res. what would i need processor and gpu wise?

Thank you exactly what i was looking for

The main problem that I see, for my playing style at least, is the lack of the ten key pad on the side. I use a lot of hot buttons for the sidebars and a number pad is a must for me, not just for SWTOR but a variety of other games.

If your looking to game with a laptop I would recommend getting a cooling pad or stand to put underneath your laptop.

I have a laptop that I use to play with. I can run everything at pretty much max, though when I PvP I do need to turn down the graphics a bit. However, after about an hour or 2 of playing my computer would shut down from overheating.

Now I use a stand that has two fans underneath to cool my laptop, and I have had no problems.

Edited by Raise

I play on my work laptop and never have lag or loss of framerate. Doesn't even have a video card, uses onboard video.

Granted I always play with everything on min settings but I never even tried med-high so I'm not sure how that would work out.

i7 quad core and 8g RAM. no video card necessary

and yes it reaches about 400degrees after playing for an hour. No overheat so far....

Edited by DarthBloodloss

I play on my work laptop and never have lag or loss of framerate. Doesn't even have a video card, uses onboard video.

Granted I always play with everything on min settings but I never even tried med-high so I'm not sure how that would work out.

i7 quad core and 8g RAM. no video card necessary

and yes it reaches about 400degrees after playing for an hour. No overheat so far....

You likely have a video card seperate from your on board. Most if not all i7s do. It will use on board video on batteries and the dedicated card when plugged in.