Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

I am the one with 3 IAs...however all of them are male, so I never got to experience the Vector romance. From what I've seen, once you get past the fact that he's a Joiner and talks funny, he's one of the more interesting romances....everyone has different taste, though. As a companion, I initially didn't like him much, but I grew to like him a lot after going through his story, and Lokin's as well (they cross over a bit).

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick straw poll. Do you think BioWare is doing an adequate job of addressing same-gender content in SWTOR?

[ ] Yes

[ X ] No

I don't really post here as much as I used to and I probably should... but I've been stalking this thread since the day it began... the thread and the Devs. And I must say that I'm incredibly disappointed. It would be one thing if they'd held off romances until SGRAs were ready... hell it'd be okay if they gave us semi-frequent updates... but instead we all just sit here for half a year, hoping some new news comes along, but all we get is a... "SGRs? Oh yeah... I forgot we even were gonna put that in there, but I'm gonna make a quick cover up and say that we're working on it because I don't wanna offend people who want it." (And no, I don't mean that in a snide or rude way, that's just how I see what they've said... I mean you could tell about 6 months ago when we brought it up at the Guild Summit that the question had caught them off guard.) I'm just really disappointed in BioWare and EA for launching the game with such a... hetero-esentric attitude that it really makes me disappointed to call them BioWare... with KotOR, Dragon Age, Dragon Age 2, Jade Empire and a few other games that I can't recall their names, this is just something I expected from a BioWare game and to be honest, I was content with them saying "well we can't put it in now, but we're gonna get to it this year," though anymore I can honestly say I don't know what they meant by "this year" and I don't think they do either. However, I'm not going to be one of those to rage quit should something happen and they decided not to put it in... I won't play it that often, that's for sure, but I enjoy the storylines (save for companions) and I find it interesting, but disenhartening. I hope they put it in soon, I truly do, otherwise my faith in BioWare will be shot and I doubt that I'll ever buy a game they release again, save for Dragon Age 3 should they ever make it.

It's starting to get a little gloomy in here

Well, are you satisfied with BioWare's response to this thread and related issues so far? Don't you think that maybe they should know that? I don't see that sitting patiently and polishing our halos has ever gotten this topic anything but swept for trolls for nine months. It's also about the only place where we are able to register our disappointment on the forums.

That said, I do see your point, too.

so let's try to liven things up some.

Never let it be said I didn't try.

♪♫ *cues music from Gilber & Sullivan's Mikado* ♪♫

Three little Sith from school are we

Strong in the dark side as can be

Filled to the brim with Sithish glee

Three little sith from school

Everything is a loaded gun

No one is safe for we care for none

Live is a war that has just begun

(Chorus)

Three little Sith who, dark and scary

Come from a dark side seminary

Freed from its genius tutelary

Three little Sith from school

One little Sith likes Exar Kun

Two little Sith think EU is dumb

Three little Sith, that's the total sum

From three little Sith pick one to slay

Two little sith remain, and they

Won't remain friends very long, they say

(Chorus)

Three little Sith who, dark and scary

Come from a dark side seminary

Freed from its genius tutelary

Three little Sith from school!

Bit of a random thought but something my bf mentioned earlier. When they eventually do patch in the SGRA's how do you guys think it will be referenced in the notes. He got to wondering about this after the lack of any real mention of SGRA's that show up in the Dev tracker with the exception of the brief one not too long ago and Reid's last year and began speculating if they would actually state something like "Same-Gender Romances are now available in game." or if it would be more of a "Some tweaks have been made to Romance Arcs." at the bottom of the notes.

Little bit off topic and not really a particularly important question but just one we had a little fun speculating over earlier.

As far as Kailyo goes, I can certainly see why she's not to everyone's taste. While fun, she's more than a little unhinged and I'm not sure I would romance her in a SGR setting. I know what they say about crazy women and straightjackets, but I'd rather not take my chances. :D

I still think Kaliyo's the sanest person on the IA's ship.

Granted, that's not saying much...but still.

He got to wondering about this after the lack of any real mention of SGRA's that show up in the Dev tracker with the exception of the brief one not too long ago and Reid's last year and began speculating if they would actually state something like "Same-Gender Romances are now available in game." or if it would be more of a "Some tweaks have been made to Romance Arcs." at the bottom of the notes.

I think they'll have to mention that they had always intended to include these romance paths for characters X, Y, Z to avoid complaints about 'retconning' and 'fan pandering', etc.

Edited by stuffystuffs

Bit of a random thought but something my bf mentioned earlier. When they eventually do patch in the SGRA's how do you guys think it will be referenced in the notes. He got to wondering about this after the lack of any real mention of SGRA's that show up in the Dev tracker with the exception of the brief one not too long ago and Reid's last year and began speculating if they would actually state something like "Same-Gender Romances are now available in game." or if it would be more of a "Some tweaks have been made to Romance Arcs." at the bottom of the notes.

I think that it will be very much like "Same-gender romance is now available with some companions", with nothing in the way of apology or explanation - both of which, as Disraeli famously noted, are in some cases best avoided.

That said, I think that policy is being mis-applied here.

I still think Kaliyo's the sanest person on the IA's ship.

Granted, that's not saying much...but still.

I think you're right...

Dr. Lokin: injects himself with deadly plagues that should kill him

Raina Temple: Kills her own father and think she's justified in doing so

Vector : Sometimes I don't even know what the heck he is talking about. " The aura is fierce: sparks burn."

SCORPIO: she tells me she can taste me and then vows to kill me, yet expects me to help her. And I do...maybe I'm insane

Edited by chuixupu

As far as Kailyo goes, I can certainly see why she's not to everyone's taste. While fun, she's more than a little unhinged and I'm not sure I would romance her in a SGR setting. I know what they say about crazy women and straightjackets, but I'd rather not take my chances. :D

I like Kaliyo as a character. She drives me up the wall, but in a way that puts a smile on my face. I mean, she's a backstabbing nutter, but she's completely honest about it and in some ways the most down-to-earth member of the team. She was a good foil for my cold, calculating, disciplined Chiss.

And some of the things she comes out with are priceless.

Back to the subject of SGRA, I have a question for people here. Who else is holding off on making or levelling characters until it's either implemented or we know how it will be implemented? I'm itching to play my juggernaut, but he's staying level 25 until we know more. Same for my level 14 scoundrel. I just don't want to have to reroll, call me lazy but...

Never let it be said I didn't try.

♪♫ *cues music from Gilber & Sullivan's Mikado* ♪♫

Three little Sith from school are we

Strong in the dark side as can be

Filled to the brim with Sithish glee

Everything is a loaded gun

No one is safe for we care for none

Live is a war that has just begun

Outstanding work.

I think they'll have to mention that they had always intended to include these romance paths for characters X, Y, Z to avoid complaints about 'retconning' and 'fan pandering', etc.

They didn't even clarify the "name's the same, but it's a new server" thing when trying to defuse the name-change furore earlier, so I'm not confident for those possible comments.

Edited by Palar

I have a question for people here. Who else is holding off on making or levelling characters until it's either implemented or we know how it will be implemented? I'm itching to play my juggernaut, but he's staying level 25 until we know more. Same for my level 14 scoundrel. I just don't want to have to reroll, call me lazy but...

I have just gone ahead and played my 8 characters as I have felt inclined to play them. In many ways, my Gunslinger is my favorite. It is only the unmitigated and nearly compulsory hetero swinger aspect of the character which turns me off from the class. You can tell when I have been playing him because my posts become 150% snarkier out of sheer frustration.

I see no reason to curtail my levelling or even progressing companion affection merely because BioWare screwed the proverbial pooch in opting to exclude SGRs at launch. I expect (with admittedly no basis to do so) to be able to explore new romantic arcs as they are introduced without needing to reroll, reset or wait for new, post 50 companions.

But the issue you raise is one of the very oldest in this discussion, and is one of the points we have been most consistently asking to have clarified specifically so that players know whether they need to hold off on levelling characters whose companions might possibly be unlocked for SGRs in the future – again having to speculate as to which companions those will be, because that is again something the Developers refuse to divulge.

Outstanding work.

*hat-tip* Thanks. I'll be here all week. :)

I actually have had that in the wings waiting for an occasion. I was initially intending it for a PM to the Community Team with a caveat that while I had not wished to have to resort to such measures, it was clear I had no choice but to deploy tactical show-tunes. :D

Edited by Uluain

I think that it will be very much like "Same-gender romance is now available with some companions", with nothing in the way of apology or explanation - both of which, as Disraeli famously noted, are in some cases best avoided.

I'm jokingly hoping for 'Gays In Space', perhaps with a sub-note. It wouldn't be very politically correct but it'd sure be a nod to the SGRA thread crowd. Or maybe something satisfyingly direct, like:

Companions

• Relationship Equality - Same gender relationship options (gay, lesbian and bisexual) are now available for some companion characters. Same gender flirts are also available for some NPCs.

I see no reason to curtail my levelling or even progressing companion affection merely because BioWare screwed the proverbial pooch in opting to exclude SGRs at launch. I expect (with admittedly no basis to do so) to be able to explore new romantic arcs as they are introduced without needing to reroll, reset or wait for new, post 50 companions.

Hopefully they will work it so that a reroll won't be necessary. It's hardly our fault it wasn't in at launch, after all. I'm just being overly cautious. I'm already attached to my SW as he is and don't especially want to delete/reroll if that is what I would have to do.

But the issue you raise is one of the very oldest in this discussion, and is one of the points we have been most consistently asking to have clarified specifically so that players know whether they need to hold off on levelling characters whose companions might possibly be unlocked for SGRs in the future – again having to speculate as to which companions those will be, because that is again something the Developers refuse to divulge.

This is it. We just don't know. It's the lack of information that really gets to me. It's maddeningly frustrating. It's not even like they're just withholding information that may be subject to change. If it's still on track for this year, they must already know how it's going to work. Surely it would not kill them to, say, tell us if it's going to be with existing companions. It's gone on for a long time and it's not like we've not said anything and they had no way of knowing, now, is it?

♪♫ *cues music from Gilbert & Sullivan's Mikado* ♪♫

Welp, that's me cheered up, nice one Uluain :D

TBH idk if BW will even bother seen as the game is going f2p

Well, it's true that it would be less work and expense not to add SGRs, but even in the free Facebook version of EA's flagship game, The Sims, the option of relationships with the same sex are presented as simply one more option. That's a very mainstream game, and if EA sees the value of such a feature in a popular game, and BioWare has already promised its inclusion, I really don't see them backing out now, especially after already weathering a couple of flurries of intense moral disapproval from certain quarters.

I am unhappy with the lack of information, but what meager responses we have gotten of late all speak as though this content is very much still in the picture and that while there is no new information they can give us, they expect to have some, eventually, and plan to announce it here as soon as they do.

Then again, it's all supposition until they actually do tell us.

Back to the subject of SGRA, I have a question for people here. Who else is holding off on making or levelling characters until it's either implemented or we know how it will be implemented?

I've leveled characters but now that there are more slots, I would also possibly re-level some classes depending on romance availability if that's needed.

I've leveled characters but now that there are more slots, I would also possibly re-level some classes depending on romance availability if that's needed.

Hah, that was sort of sad and funny at the same time. I was all, 'WHAT?? more slots??' and hurriedly logged in to find the extra slots applies to the new high-pop servers - and not the Asia/Pacific ones like Gav Daragon. BOO!

I would think the same would happen to those servers once they can "upgrade" them.

In theory. I doubt there's much point. When I jump on my Sage I often have the entire planet of Voss to myself; our population just doesn't really warrant it.

Still, if I were the person making the decisions I'd insist on all of the servers being given the same upgrade at the same time. Better to have too much space than not enough.

In theory. I doubt there's much point. When I jump on my Sage I often have the entire planet of Voss to myself; our population just doesn't really warrant it.

Still, if I were the person making the decisions I'd insist on all of the servers being given the same upgrade at the same time. Better to have too much space than not enough.

That would have made sense - JG's apologised for our confusion (not that of the staff, naturally) and says we will get it, at some unspecified point... which sounds oddly familar, in this thread.

Well, more than in theory, according to this post:

Hi folks! Thanks for raising awareness for this! Rest assured that Oceanic servers will be getting 12 character slots as well. Apologies for the confusion and the wait as we work on making this adjustment. Thank you for your patience!

APAC servers have been mentioned, and are probably the next focus for consolidation.

That said, I don't know what I am going to do with my four new slots except save one for a Cathar when they are released. May make him a Trooper so he and Aric can give a whole new meaning to a pride of lions.

I would however greatly prefer not to have to remake my Smuggler - I like the character, I like his gear, I should not have to reroll for SGR.

Edited by Uluain

Back to the subject of SGRA, I have a question for people here. Who else is holding off on making or levelling characters until it's either implemented or we know how it will be implemented? I'm itching to play my juggernaut, but he's staying level 25 until we know more. Same for my level 14 scoundrel. I just don't want to have to reroll, call me lazy but...

I don't want to reroll either. Some people claim you can get to 50 in 1 week or less. Meh... can't imagine how,but whatever

I'm slowly leveling my trooper, but what I'm doing is holding off Elara's convos. If she becomes available, the flirts and option for the romance path should be there. Also, I'm skipping the planets' bonus series, so I'll have something to do after I hit 50. I don't want to just stream one conversation after the other with nothing in between.

Too bad those quests won't scale to your character, but well.... that's the best I can think of to be prepared and play the game at the same time.

EDIT:

Though it does suck entering to a cantina and seeing Elara's quest mark on her head, having to refrain myself :(

Edited by wainot-keel

I don't want to reroll either. Some people claim you can get to 50 in 1 week or less. Meh... can't imagine how,but whatever

I'm slowly leveling my trooper, but what I'm doing is holding off Elara's convos. If she becomes available, the flirts and option for the romance path should be there. Also, I'm skipping the planets' bonus series, so I'll have something to do after I hit 50. I don't want to just stream one conversation after the other with nothing in between.

Too bad those quests won't scale to your character, but well.... that's the best I can think of to be prepared and play the game at the same time.

EDIT:

Though it does suck entering to a cantina and seeing Elara's quest mark on her head, having to refrain myself :(

I considered levelling my juggernaut but ignoring companion conversations. I decided not to, partly because I'm waiting to hear if there will be SGR [Flirt]s and partly because I prefer to experience character conversations as a part of levelling my characters. I think if I wanted to experience the SGR content on all of my characters, I'd have come to a similar compromise as the one you suggested and just got on with playing. I suppose I'm fortunate in that I'm happy for my agent to be with Temple, my consular to be an antisocial jerk, etc.

Re. levelling to 50 in under a week, is that a real-life week or less than seven days /played? I ask because it took me around six days play time to reach 50 on my sniper, spread out over two months.

Edited by Eleuril

That said, I don't know what I am going to do with my four new slots except save one for a Cathar when they are released. May make him a Trooper so he and Aric can give a whole new meaning to a pride of lions.

I suppose I'll use two of the slots for new Bounty Hunter and Smuggler characters down the line, since I've accepted the ones I already have as straight.

The other two slots, I reckon, will be for alternate-AC Jedi Consulars and Sith Inquisitors, since I assume there'll be quite a difference between the melee-AC and the caster-AC... and I'd take that into account for my roleplaying.