How to Become a Contender: Supplemental(Bolster, PvP Gear, and You)

L-RANDLE

Tech power is related to weapon barrel level, they have some base one listed but as far as I remember never seen it added above non CM one with same level barrel.

Low level (bellow 20) moddable ones are not cheap but will check what will happen on level 11 character with CM and non CM empty shells and same shells with equivalent barrels/hilts.

If result on stat page are same I suppose they will be bolstered to same level.

Crystals are other issue ... level 10 ones with level 50 plus stats are on the edge of P2W.

Would be nice if they at least made the Rakghoul and Preorder crystals level 10, too. That'd make the CM ones less ridiculous.

Edited by stealthrider

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say, I got rid of 4 pieces of partisan. 2 I upgraded to conq, and 2 I replaced with Makeb vendor components and it was quite crazy the difference I noticed. About 100k damage average more per WZ. As far as stats go, I have 2% better crit and I noticed about 500-1k health, just going off memory because I didn't screen before. Seemed to survive a lot better as well, but maybe it was the healers tonight. Edited by Technohic

I wanted to add my 2cents.

I have had a Powertech/BH since pre-launch. I have valor 85 and a full set of PVE and PVP gear. (I have plenty of alts as well) I dueled another power-tech with his PVE/modded gear. Level 78's. I was in Conqueror full set with Obroan relics x2 and obroan shield/main.

Not only did I wreck him but the difference in stims/biochem. I think one of the best ways to do comparison is have the same build/class and duel in different armor sets. One thing to keep in mind is that as patches come and go there will always be something that could be better for a short while.

In the long run, of pvping pretty much daily for hours the devs have made two different sets of armor. My suggestion is just get both. Then as things patch, update nerf and change your armor/stats will constantly on average be better :)

He will argue occasionally that expertise does nothing or isn't worth it, and in warzones I am either #1 or top 4 70% of the time. With random ques and bad players I can get shut down without heals or damage output but on average I do very well. I have tried wearing my 78/72/augmented PVE gear and just get crushed when I get focused.

As a developer myself, with coding anything this big, bugs are natural. I kind of personally see the super extra modding and such as xploiting" and so to "play fair" I wear my pvp set in pvp and pve in pve. Simple.

I will say, I got rid of 4 pieces of partisan. 2 I upgraded to conq, and 2 I replaced with Makeb vendor components and it was quite crazy the difference I noticed. About 100k damage average more per WZ. As far as stats go, I have 2% better crit and I noticed about 500-1k health, just going off memory because I didn't screen before. Seemed to survive a lot better as well, but maybe it was the healers tonight.

I have had a Powertech/BH since pre-launch. I have valor 85 and a full set of PVE and PVP gear. (I have plenty of alts as well) I dueled another power-tech with his PVE/modded gear. Level 78's. I was in Conqueror full set with Obroan relics x2 and obroan shield/main.

Not only did I wreck him but the difference in stims/biochem. I think one of the best ways to do comparison is have the same build/class and duel in different armor sets. One thing to keep in mind is that as patches come and go there will always be something that could be better for a short while.

In the long run, of pvping pretty much daily for hours the devs have made two different sets of armor. My suggestion is just get both. Then as things patch, update nerf and change your armor/stats will constantly on average be better :)

He will argue occasionally that expertise does nothing or isn't worth it, and in warzones I am either #1 or top 4 70% of the time. With random ques and bad players I can get shut down without heals or damage output but on average I do very well. I have tried wearing my 78/72/augmented PVE gear and just get crushed when I get focused.

As a developer myself, with coding anything this big, bugs are natural. I kind of personally see the super extra modding and such as xploiting" and so to "play fair" I wear my pvp set in pvp and pve in pve. Simple.

Did you duel him while bolstered? And for me, it was not a matter of Obroan or even Conq that was a hindrance. It was the last set of PvP gear to be rendered obsolete in a single patch. It definitely showed in performance.

As a developer myself, with coding anything this big, bugs are natural. I kind of personally see the super extra m

@Everyone.odding and such as xploiting" and so to "play fair" I wear my pvp set in pvp and pve in pve. Simple.

While I thank you for the contribution, I have to somewhat disagree on some of your points.

1. Duels aren't a very good barometer because it introduces a couple of subjective "numbers" to the equation, namely "skill" and class balance. Even in the case where two classes are running the exact some spec, the luck(RNG) and skill level are involved. This thread was started in an attempt to be as objective as possible. Purely from a statistical point of view and to also post the do's and dont's associated.

2. I also disagree with your assesment of seeing this as a possible exploit. While there are some, I would say,"issues", the whole premise of bolster is to make virtually any gear viable in a WZ. While it does it "slightly better" on some pieces, the field is pretty even for most gear builds. The philosophy of bolster is working 100% as intended, as for the minor qwerks in the system maybe some slight adjustments, but at the core it is more than ok to "use what you have" or min/max as the game itself is based in doing these things...

To screw all this referral exploiters that bump everywhere just mouse over links.

If link is sending to

www.swtor.com/r/XXXXX

where XXXXX are random digits/numbers (notice /r/XXXXX part - clear show that it is referral exploiter) just don't click and report it.

Stupid auto formatting or browser change text in quotes as link ... but XXXXX are not valid referral number

Code tags seems to remove auto formatting...

Edited by morfius

^^Just keep reporting it. Apparently the mods took a vacation or something. It's especially annoying today, every thread has the same 2-3 people spamming the link multiple times. They can't indefinitely ban their accounts and delete all their toons fast enough. That's what they should be doing to adbot spammers and phisherman alike. Edited by Ridickilis

Just don't go over 459 total score for the gear position as EXP will suffer.

I just returned after a long break, so quite a few things in this thread has me confused.

When I look on the Kiosk for these barrels/mods ect. One says Advanced Commando Barrel 31 and so on. How do I see the other ratings? Such as the 69/63/61 people refer to and now the 459?

I just returned after a long break, so quite a few things in this thread has me confused.

When I look on the Kiosk for these barrels/mods ect. One says Advanced Commando Barrel 31 and so on. How do I see the other ratings? Such as the 69/63/61 people refer to and now the 459?

Well mods and enhancements don't show the number, but I believe barrels, hilts, and armoring has the item rating in the details as you mouse over it. So a 31 barrel has a rating of 162, assume mods and enhancements with the 31 designation are 162 as well...

Edited by L-RANDLE

Well mods and enhancements don't show the number, but I believe barrels, hilts, and armoring has the item rating in the details as you mouse over it. So a 31 barrel has a rating of 162, assume mods and enhancements with the 31 designation are 162 as well...

Based on my observations, that is not correct. The armor/barrel/hilt level appears to determine (as in "is equal to") the overall item level, and changing mods and enhancements has no impact. So, I assume that the absence of an 'item level" for a mod or enhancement is accurately indicating that that component has no affect on the the overall item level.

Nothing says "worked on by multiple groups that did not communicate" like having several independent numbering schemes that can *almost* match up.

Based on my observations, that is not correct. The armor/barrel/hilt level appears to determine (as in "is equal to") the overall item level, and changing mods and enhancements has no impact. So, I assume that the absence of an 'item level" for a mod or enhancement is accurately indicating that that component has no affect on the the overall item level.

Nothing says "worked on by multiple groups that did not communicate" like having several independent numbering schemes that can *almost* match up.

If that were the case, you wouldn't have a difference between 69/69/69 and 69/63/61.

You can wear multiple combinations, every slot is independent, total rating needs to be 459 or less to get full bolster...

If that were the case, you wouldn't have a difference between 69/69/69 and 69/63/61.

You can wear multiple combinations, every slot is independent, total rating needs to be 459 or less to get full bolster...

Just curious as i was reading the thread.

The <459 value comes from 162+150+146 (69/63/61) = 458.

However, would 168+146+140 (72/61/58) = 454 be a better combination since you trade ~9 points of stats, but gain a higher Base Damage (+35-52) and Force Power (+70).

Or even 180+140+136 (78/56/58) = 456, ~7 points of stats lost, but +107-161 Base Damage and +215 Force Power.

Just curious as i was reading the thread.

The <459 value comes from 162+150+146 (69/63/61) = 458.

However, would 168+146+140 (72/61/58) = 454 be a better combination since you trade ~9 points of stats, but gain a higher Base Damage (+35-52) and Force Power (+70).

Or even 180+140+136 (78/56/58) = 456, ~7 points of stats lost, but +107-161 Base Damage and +215 Force Power.

Well I would suspect maybe so, but I am not raiding or buying this to find out...

Do you have screens of these and compared attack ratings?

Well I would suspect maybe so, but I am not raiding or buying this to find out...

Do you have screens of these and compared attack ratings?

I just threw something together on Ask Mr Robot, assuming the numbers there are correct.

I'll put something together in game just to confirm, but:

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/7076a4a2-5a26-4906-8657-afd12624a8c2

Is 78/56/58 in the MH and 69/63/61 in the OH on the "Gear" tab and 72/61/58 is in the MH "Wish List" Tab.

I just threw something together on Ask Mr Robot, assuming the numbers there are correct.

I'll put something together in game just to confirm, but:

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/7076a4a2-5a26-4906-8657-afd12624a8c2

Is 78/56/58 in the MH and 69/63/61 in the OH on the "Gear" tab and 72/61/58 is in the MH "Wish List" Tab.

It looks like the AMR numbers are a little off, i'll get some screenshots of in game values.

http://i.imgur.com/1IScZiT.jpg

There's a screencap comparing the 72/61/58 and 69/63/61 (the two Outbreak Response Lightsabers... ignore the Sword of the Vigilant... that's just my PvE MH since i only had OH hilts to play with).

Don't have enough comms for the Oriconian Hilt yet.

EDIT: In fact, whilst the Base Damage numbers on AMR where off, they were all off by the same amount, so the actual net "benefits" ended up being the same.

Also, I assume not many people will also find random Rakata pieces lying around their bank, so may have to get the 25 gear with Comms, which has slightly worse stats (-5 Power).

Edited by vdbswong
Changed IMG Host for higher resolution.

http://i.imgur.com/1IScZiT.jpg

There's a screencap comparing the 72/61/58 and 69/63/61 (the two Outbreak Response Lightsabers... ignore the Sword of the Vigilant... that's just my PvE MH since i only had OH hilts to play with).

Don't have enough comms for the Oriconian Hilt yet.

EDIT: In fact, whilst the Base Damage numbers on AMR where off, they were all off by the same amount, so the actual net "benefits" ended up being the same.

Also, I assume not many people will also find random Rakata pieces lying around their bank, so may have to get the 25 gear with Comms, which has slightly worse stats (-5 Power).

Okay, so this may sound like a snarky question, but I honestly don't know the answer to this and am asking in good faith.

Given that your expertise is showing as 109, I would think this screenshot does not show a valid study of one set of mods as compared to another. Would the almost complete lack of bolster not skew the data?

My thought on this (and again, this is from someone who doesn't really know this system very well) would be that the best set of data would be to see how those three lightsabers stack up when you're sitting at 2018 Expertise.