Can you put spaces in character names

Hawksmoorreturns

Nope, every character of yours will have the same last name on each server.

Bioware based it on Anakin Skywalker and Luke Skywalker having the same surnames as they linked it into their Legacy system. A problem with that is that George Lucas did not name his characters: Leia Skywalker, Han Skywalker, Darth Skywalker, Yoda Skywalker and Jar Jar Skywalker.

I'd strongly prefer to be able to choose my own surname for each character, though I am glad the option to hide the shared surname is implemented.

Edited by Rhelex

no

the legacy name can go for all your toons as a last name if you want

you have 3 choices for each toon

1st choice:

Joe Skywalker (Legacy name skywalker, placed after first name)

2nd choice:

Joe

The Skywalker Legacy

(displayed underneath your name)

3rd choice:

Joe

(hide all legacy stuff and just be joe)

But your legacy name is server wide instead of character specific, is what I am asking...

Serverwide every character you make would be Skywalker or whatever, but character-only, only the character you got to Legacy level (or whatever) would be Skywalker.

Skywalker being an example and not an actual in-game surname (I hope).

its server wide, all toons on the same server will be that legacy

its really for this system of getting legacy xp. legacy experience will help you unlock extra stuff, its a progression system that rewards people who are altaholics. things you do on all of your alts will give you legacy xp

This is another example of people complaining that Bioware gave them a gold bar but no bag to carry it in...

Seriously, you can turn the display of the surname off. You still get all of the Legacy bonuses.

If it really, REALLY bothers you oh so much... you could just have distinct characters on separate servers and benefit from different Legacy surnames.

The 'Legacy' system of earning things on a server-wide level is nice but they don't need to restrict character-specific surnames to do it. I was a little bitter in my last post, it's frustrating, but I do want my point taken constructively to get things improved. Edited by Rhelex

This is another example of people complaining that Bioware gave them a gold bar but no bag to carry it in...

Seriously, you can turn the display of the surname off. You still get all of the Legacy bonuses.

If it really, REALLY bothers you oh so much... you could just have distinct characters on separate servers and benefit from different Legacy surnames.

That's not quite correct, unfortunately. While the experience towards your legacy funnels in from every character *on the same server*, the legacy name you choose itself is *ACCOUNT WIDE*. One legacy name per account, in other words.

Which.. makes the system all the more ridiculous, in my opinion. Players asked for last names, but many developers (including these at Bioware, it seems) firmly believe that players don't really know what they want, and that it's their job to figure out what they're actually asking for. So, they gave us the Legacy system in response to our request for last names. But, really, all we wanted is the ability to tack a last name onto our characters. As amazing as it seems, sometimes players want exactly what they're asking for and nothing more. Surprise!

Sigh.

Edited by Apax

That's not quite correct, unfortunately. While the experience towards your legacy funnels in from every character *on the same server*, the legacy name you choose itself is *ACCOUNT WIDE*. One legacy name per account, in other words.

Which.. makes the system all the more ridiculous, in my opinion. Players asked for last names, but many developers (including these at Bioware, it seems) firmly believe that players don't really know what they want, and that it's their job to figure out what they're actually asking for. So, they gave us the Legacy system in response to our request for last names. But, really, all we wanted is the ability to tack a last name onto our characters. As amazing as it seems, sometimes players want exactly what they're asking for and nothing more. Surprise!

Sigh.

You act like the legacy system somehow destroys RP, and this is absolutely false. Most games don't have a last name system and you just tack on your chars last name IC when asked. It's simple, just turn off the legacy last name on characters with different last names, as it is the legacy system is better than 90% of what other rps do for last names.

You act like the legacy system somehow destroys RP, and this is absolutely false. Most games don't have a last name system and you just tack on your chars last name IC when asked. It's simple, just turn off the legacy last name on characters with different last names, as it is the legacy system is better than 90% of what other rps do for last names.

No, I'm acting like I would like to be able to have one character's name displayed as Tom Soandso, and another character named Bob Suchandsuch. But I can't, because the Legacy system prevents something as basic as this.

Put more simply, there is no "Luke Skywalker" and "Han Solo" belonging to one player, there is just "Luke Skywalker" and "Han Skywalker". Or "Han". Or "Han - The Skywalker Legacy". And I think that's stupid. Why can't I just give my other character a completely different last name and have it displayed along with his first name? Why does the game attempt to create some imaginary social link between my human Jedi Knight, my Twi'lek Smuggler, and my Zabrak Sith Warrior? Yes, I can choose not to display the Legacy link, but the problem of not being able to label them with a last name still remains. And that was the whole point of the request we hammered Bioware with for 6+ months of beta.

While the system and the rewards are a nice idea, it was implemented very poorly.

Edited by Apax

Legacy system, as is implemented now, mixes 2 things.

Veteran rewards, which is nice.

Surnames or family names,which are fine.

But mixing a player-based mechanic with an rp mechanic this way is just crap.

They are selling us a veteran rewards system with a rp flavour, which is a lie. The rp part of the system is flawed. As previously pointed, skywalker legacy does not work for my Jar Jar character, not for my Boba one. Also, when my wife create her Mara character, maybe she wants to use that legacy name, and actually she will be unable.

Split the system.

Let the game take our ingame advance in acount, and use the classic veteran rewards system.

On the other hand, allow for legacy names just as a cosmetic feature. So we can have surnames, family names, or even legacy names. And make then not unique, so other players can join your family, clan, whatever...

I too was disappointed about the spaces. I hadn't thought to try spaces in beta, and it was the first thing I tried when I got into EGA. I'm glad we can at least use the apostrophes though as I'd hate to have a Twi'lek char (and perhaps some other races as well) without that option. :)

Before I realized there was a legacy system and what it was, I had already started creating last names for all of my characters since I came from a game where you could purchase a last name for them at a certain point. I was making my Empire characters somewhat similar in last name (initially with first names too, but I ditched that idea because I found it more difficult than expected making variations I was happy with - I seem to care more about this game than some others I've played), and my Republic names were going to have another theme to them. Since I'm a crafting alt-aholic I had already planned on two servers for my chars, so legacy names per server wouldn't have been too bad but I'll have to rethink what I want to use (even if no one ever sees it) if it's going to be account-wide.

Since it seems this system is already in place, I somewhat wish they would eventually come up with a cosmetic profile page where you could put a brief summary/background of your character and their last name if you want - somewhat like STO & LOTRO do. So if someone sees you roaming about and clicks on your character they have the option of viewing your profile.

Since it seems this system is already in place, I somewhat wish they would eventually come up with a cosmetic profile page where you could put a brief summary/background of your character and their last name if you want - somewhat like STO & LOTRO do. So if someone sees you roaming about and clicks on your character they have the option of viewing your profile.

You're talking about a biography, which I would also love to see. That would certainly be one way of displaying a last name of your choosing (and a bit of your history). The role-player in me thoroughly enjoys and appreciates biography options in an MMO, even if it's a simple UI box filled with player typed text like in Star Trek Online.

I tired spaces in Beta to no avail. I'm happy that a surname system exists, even if it's limited. Most MMO's I've played didn't have them at all. I'm just now learning about the Legacy system. I haven't seen if the name is assigned or player chosen. Could someone clarify that for me please? Also, I would love a biography option. That was probably my favorite part of CoH.

This topic has derailed. This topic was answered by response #2, and has spiraled since. Lets make a new topic about the absurdity of tying surnames to legacy names.

If you're honestly hoping to give feedback to the developers, the topic should probably be remade in a location where they're going to see it. I don't think many of them are going to visit this neck of the woods.

If you're honestly hoping to give feedback to the developers, the topic should probably be remade in a location where they're going to see it. I don't think many of them are going to visit this neck of the woods.

Does it matter? THIS topic has derailed, and I'm simply suggesting a new topic be made to continue the (obviously) heated discussion about it.

Regarding getting developer notice, it's doubtful anywhere. General is a festering whine fest about early access. There is no forum specifically for Feedback/Suggestions. So really, discussing a roleplay/community aspect of the game such as Legacy/Surnames is fit for whichever sub forum makes the most sense. Right?

Does it matter? THIS topic has derailed, and I'm simply suggesting a new topic be made to continue the (obviously) heated discussion about it.

I think you're confusing "derailed" with "evolved". As you yourself said, the question in the original post was already answered, so the concern is moot. After that the discussion regarding names continued to evolve. I'm not really sure why this is disturbing you on some level.

I do feel the concerns in this thread (which I feel are valid) aren't going to reach the right ears buried here (or anywhere in the community forum, much less role-play sub-forum), and that it would probably be more beneficial to voice these concerns in a more visible location. However, I don't really see the point in splitting the evolution of this thread into yet another thread on the role-play forums simply for the sole reason that it deviated slightly from the original question. But then, I'm not one for cluttered forums.