Video Card

beans

What is the cheapest video card i should buy that would run this game? I have a toshiba A665 laptop and i need a new graphics card to run the game smoothly becausee the one that came with it is a pile of crap. I figured someone on these forums would know a good one to buy at a reasonable price.

I know its really difficult to install a new one on a laptop but i need a new one for this game to run better and i was hoping i could buy one online and then have someone who is good with computers to install it for me.

lawls, youre gonna have to get a new laptop. The only laptop's you can replace GPU's in are alienwares i believe. You cant replace parts in laptops like you can desktops, unless its like a stick of memory or a hardrive.

That's not completely true...

But OP, your far better off selling the laptop you have now and buying a new one with whatever you can make off that sale plus some cash. Swapping out a laptop GPU is nothing to mess around with.

Your very likely not capable. Additionally a quick google of that A665 returned a onboard intel GPU. You can't replace that. Sorry dude, pony up and buy a better machine.

EDIT: A665-S6050 is what I looked at first, and it appeared to use the Intel HD GPU. However it looks like the A665-S6070 uses an NVidia 310M. What model do you have.

Edited by Afortunado

would any desktop work then as long as i buy i better graphics card then?

No. There are limitations there too. An old P4, or Athlon from AMD wouldn't do it. If your going to be buying a desktop anyways you really want to get a cheap quad core. AMD has some sub $100 quads you can buy, or you could look at an older Intel Core2Quad.

Additionally you need a mobo that uses a PCI-E slot for the GPU. Not an AGP lol. That shouldn't really be a problem, just an FYI really. Lastly you can buy several sub $100 GPU's from AMD or NVidia that will run this for you well.

I know I'm going to sound like an idiot (no knowledge of computers) but if i get a desktop with a quad core or i3 i should be alright then. And then if i get a better graphics card. the game will run better. so would something like this work? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1188411&CatId=4928 Edited by beans

I know I'm going to sound like an idiot (no knowledge of computers) but if i get a desktop with a quad core or i3 i should be alright then. And then if i get a better graphics card. the game will run better. so would something like this work? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1188411&CatId=4928

That's known as a slimline PC. Only low profile graphics cards would fit that design.

It would be better to choose a standard width computer which will fit full sized graphics cards; 99% of the time you can recognize a slimline versus normal width PC by the DVD drive implementation; if the DVD drive is mounted horizontally it's a normal case while if it's mounted vertically it's a slimline case.

alright thanks. maybe i should just ask anyone if they know of a specific cheap computer that they would recommend that works as well as a cheap graphics card?

Depends on what you mean by 'cheap.' What kind of budget do you have to work with?

i would say at the absolute most probably 400 for the desktop and probably another 100 on the graphics card if i need to upgrade it. I know its not alot to work with so maybe this just wont work for now :( Edited by beans

Looks ok, if you buying of the web though check out http://www.ibuypower.com/ . I know people have had good luck with cheap, but good computers here.

This is what I did, although unexpectedly. I bought my IBUYPOWER machine from Tigerdirect and they were advertising it as a "gaming computer" but the video card was a ATI HD 5450, piece of crap card. Found this out soon after hooking it up. Luckily the power supply was big enough to support a 5770 which is a pretty decent card for not a lot of money.

i would say at the absolute most probably 400 for the desktop and probably another 100 on the graphics card if i need to upgrade it. I know its not alot to work with so maybe this just wont work for now :(

Using Newegg.com as a guide, I'd suggest something like the iBUYPOWER Gamer Power 913i for $400 and a Sapphire 100338L Radeon HD 6770 for $110, $90 after MIR.

Don't really like the look of the power supply in the computer (it looks to be an el-cheapo basic power supply) but it's rated to 480w which means it should be okay for the ~200w the setup should output under load.