Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Fall Damage?

seven_deadlies
07.26.2015 , 10:26 PM | #11
*calls upon long forgotten Dark Side rituals*

NECROPOST!!!

Seriously though, why is there Fall Damage in a setting where people avoid it all the time.

Even if they wanted to keep the Fall Damage mechanic in the game, they could give people a "Controlled Descent" button at some level or another, they way they do Sprint or Speeder use. Let people level up a bit, coming to appreciate what happens if you shortcut off the edge of a cliff.

But then you give them a themed means of safely landing. Bounty Hunters would get a Jetpack burn, Force Users would get some kind of *kawoosh*, and pretty much everybody else could use Grappling Guns or Rappelling Ropes. There's already examples in the game where you attack a "lone target" and then his buddies rappel in to help.

If you make it something that needs to be activated, it still leaves Fall Damage for people who forget to press the button in time. Or for a PvP scenario where you Stun someone and then knock them over the edge, since they can't use abilities then they can't stop the fall. And since it's just bestowing a quick "no fall damage" buff, it means people will still have to find the path to get back up afterwards.

DOHboy
07.27.2015 , 08:30 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by seven_deadlies View Post
*calls upon long forgotten Dark Side rituals*

NECROPOST!!!

Seriously though, why is there Fall Damage in a setting where people avoid it all the time.

Even if they wanted to keep the Fall Damage mechanic in the game, they could give people a "Controlled Descent" button at some level or another, they way they do Sprint or Speeder use. Let people level up a bit, coming to appreciate what happens if you shortcut off the edge of a cliff.

But then you give them a themed means of safely landing. Bounty Hunters would get a Jetpack burn, Force Users would get some kind of *kawoosh*, and pretty much everybody else could use Grappling Guns or Rappelling Ropes. There's already examples in the game where you attack a "lone target" and then his buddies rappel in to help.

If you make it something that needs to be activated, it still leaves Fall Damage for people who forget to press the button in time. Or for a PvP scenario where you Stun someone and then knock them over the edge, since they can't use abilities then they can't stop the fall. And since it's just bestowing a quick "no fall damage" buff, it means people will still have to find the path to get back up afterwards.
and when you jump into a giant crevasse where there is no "bottom"? at what point do you "die" vs. safely fall?

I don't' know about you, but I don't' carry lots of rope and rappelling gear around with me i fall off a cliff i die.
ya'll know what this is (hint yes its a referral link)

seven_deadlies
07.27.2015 , 05:28 PM | #13
All the buff needs to do is negate fall damage for 3-5 seconds or so. That would be plenty of time to account for activating it just before leaping off, or pressing after you accidentally fell.

So if you're still falling after the 5 second buff wears off, then you die like normal. There really doesn't need to be any changes to how Fall Damage is calculated or treated, except adding a button that temporarily makes you immune to it. If you don't buff, or it wears off, treat as normal.