Mercenary Rocket Out needs to be fixed

lavatsunami

I apologize if this has already been brought up, but basically as the title says. Every other single MMO that has this mechanic allows you the ability to do it midair, thus allowing you to easily pick the direction you want to go (Rift rogue-retreat, Wow hunter-disengage, etc).

The problem comes in that most people are side strafing, running away from the target when fighting, so rocket out for the most part would put them back in harm's way. For those other MMO's, you simply jump and turn and can easily pick the direction you want to rocket away.

I propose two possible options:

1) Make it so that it can be done in the air (prefer this one)

2) Make it so that it rockets you forward instead of backwards (like sniper roll, sorc force speed, etc).

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I concur, but honestly what irks me most is that while using rocket out you can get caught on any stupid rock, rebar or bump on the ground. To anyone who says they are a dymnamic of the play field and I need to learn to play, let me remind you that if a Powertech or Assassin tank pulled me I would get pulled right over that rock.

Its almost as bad as the new Powetech translocate ability. Its almost like Bioware doesn't test any of this, they certainly don't let us try it on the PTS anymore.

Edited by KevinQCowart

I never imagined it would be such a flat jump, "flying" just over the floor. I always thought it would be a jump, so you can overcome any obstacles until you land. It should be an off-GCD move too.

And since it is only a 20 meters jump, with 20 seconds cooldown (while most of the gap closer have lower cooldown, and 30 meter range some) it should grant some sort of inmunity by default. Even more, taking into account all the flaws the skill has for being such a flat move.

i can see how it could cause trouble, would be nice if perhaps the rocket out jetted you in the direction you were pressing your WASD key or something like that. Right now, if you are running away, if you want to use it, you have to turn back toward your pursuer, and then use it. That's a bit counter intuitive.

Also, it should be usable while in the air. I cant see why this is not. Phase walk can be used while jumping, why can't you activate your rocket pack while in the air. This way, if you wanted, you could be running away from someone, jump up and spin around and rocket away from them (however, I like my first option better, you get rocketed in the direction of which wasd key you are pressing).

I have to admit though, rocket out can be a gap opener. If you are really wanting to get away from someone, jet boost them back and then rocket out yourself away from them, and you've put, what, 60M between you?

Rocket out is almost completely useless. There are so many limitations to its effective use that the only time I even consider using it is in Pylon or Civil War (and then only if I'm fighting in the center area of each.

One little bump on the map and you are done.

And to be effective, you need to be moving backwards, use the ability, and continue to move backwards. Otherwise you still run the risk of a leap or a pull back by a player who has to do nothing other than activate a single skill. It is the only skill I know that leaves you generally in more trouble than not by using it - simply because requires more attention to detail than the average player has time to spend in heated moments in PVP.

And lets be for real. This is supposed to be a PVP ability. Our "escape" if you will. But our escape only puts us more in harms way. It is like a bad joke on a class that is already treated as the red headed step child even before the skill was conceived.

I would gladly trade it and our crap of a shield for a better shield that can actually save us (if even only briefly) in a fight. Our current shield does little more than added a second or two to our lives when we are stunned focused.

Yeh, I agree with just about everything everyone has said. Its counter intuitive, doesn't make much sense with the feel of the class, and can be super buggy.

I feel like they just got lazy and didn't want to deal with pathing issues, so they left it non usable in the air.

Edited by lavatsunami

i can see how it could cause trouble, would be nice if perhaps the rocket out jetted you in the direction you were pressing your WASD key or something like that. Right now, if you are running away, if you want to use it, you have to turn back toward your pursuer, and then use it. That's a bit counter intuitive.

Also, it should be usable while in the air. I cant see why this is not. Phase walk can be used while jumping, why can't you activate your rocket pack while in the air. This way, if you wanted, you could be running away from someone, jump up and spin around and rocket away from them (however, I like my first option better, you get rocketed in the direction of which wasd key you are pressing).

I have to admit though, rocket out can be a gap opener. If you are really wanting to get away from someone, jet boost them back and then rocket out yourself away from them, and you've put, what, 60M between you?

Yeh I don't have the problem with the concept, but the first issue you mentioned is a big one. Taking even a half second to try and position yourself on the ground facing the right way to rocket out, totally messes with gameplay. Like I mentioned, every other sort of 'disengage' mechanic allows use of it in the air, making it playable.

I never imagined it would be such a flat jump, "flying" just over the floor. I always thought it would be a jump, so you can overcome any obstacles until you land. It should be an off-GCD move too.

And since it is only a 20 meters jump, with 20 seconds cooldown (while most of the gap closer have lower cooldown, and 30 meter range some) it should grant some sort of inmunity by default. Even more, taking into account all the flaws the skill has for being such a flat move.

to be fair, sprint doesn't let you fly over obstacles either, and that's literally all this RO ability is: a sprint. the significant difference is the direction your camera is facing. I only mouse turn. I do it all the time. I'm fully capable of an instantaneous mouse turn. but instantaneously turning exactly 180 or 173 degrees or navigating where you want to back-up precisely when you're facing the opposite *********** direction is infuriatingly difficult and needlessly complex. it's much easier to mouse turn in direction you want to go and then "rocket out."

let me put it this way, Rocket Out is the S-Key of movement buffs. 'nuff said.

to be fair, sprint doesn't let you fly over obstacles either, and that's literally all this RO ability is: a sprint. the significant difference is the direction your camera is facing. I only mouse turn. I do it all the time. I'm fully capable of an instantaneous mouse turn. but instantaneously turning exactly 180 or 173 degrees or navigating where you want to back-up precisely when you're facing the opposite *********** direction is infuriatingly difficult and needlessly complex. it's much easier to mouse turn in direction you want to go and then "rocket out."

let me put it this way, Rocket Out is the S-Key of movement buffs. 'nuff said.

Yep, this 100%. And yes, it is essentially just a sprint. What do you think of my 2nd option? I mean, if they couldn't make it usable in the air, at least let us jet forward?

I'm more concerned about breaking roots. you can make pred break roots, mara camo break roots, the new warrior "sprint" break roots, my sin used to break roots with sprint (it's been a while since I played it). there's just so many similar abilities that break roots, and here we have this thing that doesn't break roots, and requires a ton more precision.

yes, it should be activateable in the air, but that's minor next to it not working while rooted. I understand a slightly longer CD if it breaks roots, but that's the real functional problem with it. the backwards thing is just stupid and annoying (most of the time). the jumping thing is also relatively minor. finally, RO works great in WZs most of the time b/c they're wide open and every spec in the game is always viable in regs. but against consistently decent players, it needs to break roots at the bare minimum. secondly smoke screen needs to be a masterful utility. then you can start talking about QoL stuff like using it in the air and moving forward.

:2cents:

I'm more concerned about breaking roots. you can make pred break roots, mara camo break roots, the new warrior "sprint" break roots, my sin used to break roots with sprint (it's been a while since I played it). there's just so many similar abilities that break roots, and here we have this thing that doesn't break roots, and requires a ton more precision.

yes, it should be activateable in the air, but that's minor next to it not working while rooted. I understand a slightly longer CD if it breaks roots, but that's the real functional problem with it. the backwards thing is just stupid and annoying (most of the time). the jumping thing is also relatively minor. finally, RO works great in WZs most of the time b/c they're wide open and every spec in the game is always viable in regs. but against consistently decent players, it needs to break roots at the bare minimum. secondly smoke screen needs to be a masterful utility. then you can start talking about QoL stuff like using it in the air and moving forward.

I agree. Don't know if you know, but they stealth buffed snipers roll a while ago, and made it also break roots. Don't even have to talent it.

What do you think is the most effective way to bring this information to the devs? I know, i know... the chance is like .05% or less, but I'd like to get something that we can present. Maybe something will change. Right now, it's like I'm considering taking it off my bar, but with 45 seconds on overrides, that might now work.

Not to be Mr. Negative Mcnegative Pants, but Rocket Out really truly does seem like a mere after thought from the design team. Their buffs to sorcs with 4.0 left me nothing less than baffled. All other classes really did seem to take a back seat.

I don't know if they just don't have the resources (employees) to thoroughly work these things out in detail or just don't care. I don't know. But it certainly seems like one or the other.

Not to be Mr. Negative Mcnegative Pants, but Rocket Out really truly does seem like a mere after thought from the design team. Their buffs to sorcs with 4.0 left me nothing less than baffled. All other classes really did seem to take a back seat.

I don't know if they just don't have the resources (employees) to thoroughly work these things out in detail or just don't care. I don't know. But it certainly seems like one or the other.

So, are you actually saying you think "rocket out" is weaker in design and gameplay than "phasewalk"?! ARE YOU CRAZY?!

DUDE!!!! Rocket out is awesome!

I love playing huttball on my merc, running up to a high platform with the ball closest to the enemy goal line, positioning myself carefully, rocking the camera all around to make sure my butt is facing diagonally (this is important you got to aim your butt very carefully) across the acid pit below, then *POW BLAST-OFF* I FLY THROUGH THE AIR LIKE A BIRD, MAN, IN FOR THE SCORE!!!!

No one else in the game gets butt-charge, and I feel it's better than any phasewalk, holo-transverse spell (or whatever it is operatives get to portal to enemies and friends alike), etc.!

Anyone that thinks differently is just wrong. :p

So, are you actually saying you think "rocket out" is weaker in design and gameplay than "phasewalk"?! ARE YOU CRAZY?!

DUDE!!!! Rocket out is awesome!

I love playing huttball on my merc, running up to a high platform with the ball closest to the enemy goal line, positioning myself carefully, rocking the camera all around to make sure my butt is facing diagonally (this is important you got to aim your butt very carefully) across the acid pit below, then *POW BLAST-OFF* I FLY THROUGH THE AIR LIKE A BIRD, MAN, IN FOR THE SCORE!!!!

No one else in the game gets butt-charge, and I feel it's better than any phasewalk, holo-transverse spell (or whatever it is operatives get to portal to enemies and friends alike), etc.!

Anyone that thinks differently is just wrong. :p

Ha ha ha! I haven't tried that yet, but NOW I must! Wait...unless you're kidding and I'm in for a huge disappointment. LOL

I hate to say it, but do what I did and re-roll. My mando was my first toon and I waited for the first two years of the game for it to not suck so much. Four years later and there are still threads about how bad the class is. I rolled smug and wished I had done so sooner.

Mando and merc are great pve, but cannot hack in pvp like the other classes.

I honestly feel it the frankenstein class and one of the last to be created; where BW needed to make one more class, so they hobbled together a bunch of crap and slapped a name on it.

Ha ha ha! I haven't tried that yet, but NOW I must! Wait...unless you're kidding and I'm in for a huge disappointment. LOL

It works!

You will make it past the acid pit, similar to what the ops does when they use roll. It doesn't push you quite as far though, so you actually have to aim well, and the way you have to position makes it tedious and time consuming, unlike ops roll.

I am pointing out in my post that the ability actually can find use, but it is much harder and less effective compared to other classes what they got as "escape" abilities. You usually have to use HO on the way after the rocket out, usually someone is there to try to stop the socre btw.

You can also use it to scoot across quesh huttball acid pits when they are running, it will throw you over/through it, and you will land on the other side unharmed.

So, if it fails, we are butthurt by default? To be honest, I am enjoying the irony of playing a mando with my guild name being S-Key to Victory. It's really a great improvement on the default S-button though. We just need a utility that gives us an instant, channeled on the move Death from Above while rocketing out.

If it granted a similar Immunity like Mad Dash did by default, Rocket Out might be useful. I'd even be happy to put it on a 25s CD if that were the case. Being forced to spend a Heroic Utility on something like that is complete garbage. Especially when the only 2 Heroic Utilities you EVER should have in ANY situation are On The move BB/UL/ProgS and Shield Redoubt (maybe Stabilized Armor against a Sorc heavy comp) It's complete garbage to have to waste a Heroic Utility point on making the move actually defend you against ****.

If it granted a similar Immunity like Mad Dash did by default, Rocket Out might be useful. I'd even be happy to put it on a 25s CD if that were the case. Being forced to spend a Heroic Utility on something like that is complete garbage. Especially when the only 2 Heroic Utilities you EVER should have in ANY situation are On The move BB/UL/ProgS and Shield Redoubt (maybe Stabilized Armor against a Sorc heavy comp) It's complete garbage to have to waste a Heroic Utility point on making the move actually defend you against ****.

umm. no. stabilized armor is something you should ALWAYS have -- it's the stun DR not the aoe DR that's so important. thrill of the hunt vs. energy redoubt is dependent on the type of game play. if you're solo, you want to move. if you're stand and cast (trinity) you want to put points into all the shield buffs in mastery and heroic.

umm. no. stabilized armor is something you should ALWAYS have -- it's the stun DR not the aoe DR that's so important. thrill of the hunt vs. energy redoubt is dependent on the type of game play. if you're solo, you want to move. if you're stand and cast (trinity) you want to put points into all the shield buffs in mastery and heroic.

I dunno. I found my defensives too weak to take thrill of the hunt, solo or group etc. Moving as a healing merc, you are not going to kite away melee, they far exceed any mobility a healing merc has.

I found it better to deal with the damage and focus by not trying to kite and run away, but instead to take every defensive in utilities that revolves around energy shield etc.

And it sucks. It's no fun playing this healing spec because you constantly are living by your defensives.

You can get thrill of the hunt, and it might be fun if you are playing a bunch of bads who let you freecast and kite around freely, but versus coordinated, decent dps imo thrill of the hunt is useless for healing spec merc.

That's why (again) my healing commando has been shelved indefinitely. it's inefficient, and most of all, NOT fun.

healing is standing still (comparatively speaking). the point is arsenal with a 70% snare and a huge uptime needs thrill w/o trinity.

I know that, I play arsenal/gunnery a lot atm. That's why I specified "healing spec" not taking thrill of the hunt... Went into great detail why healing spec for me works better with utilities specced into energy shield buffs etc.