Mercenary Rocket Out needs to be fixed

lavatsunami

It has nothing to do with opposite views. It has to do with logical discussions and logical thought flow. She has neither. It's not being mean and insulting to state a truth regarding a situation. I'm not sure where people get that. The truth is much more helpful than pretense.

Yeah but, that's your perspective. I do not say you are right or you are wrong. I am saying, I am sure others feel otherwise, that actually Domi does carry logical thought flow, as you say.

I personally have come to accept there are people I simply can or never will "get". It's not because they are stupid and I am smart or vice versa, we simply are different.

I think you both add to the forums in your own ways and for me that's good enough.

It's not being truthful when in actuality the only truth is you sharing your true opinions or thoughts in the manner you chose.

Like I said, your perceptions of what Domi adds to the forums is yours, and many might agree but many also may disagree.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah but, that's your perspective. I do not say you are right or you are wrong. I am saying, I am sure others feel otherwise, that actually Domi does carry logical thought flow, as you say.

I personally have come to accept there are people I simply can or never will "get". It's not because they are stupid and I am smart or vice versa, we simply are different.

I think you both add to the forums in your own ways and for me that's good enough.

It's not being truthful when in actuality the only truth is you sharing your true opinions or thoughts in the manner you chose.

Like I said, your perceptions of what Domi adds to the forums is yours, and many might agree but many also may disagree.

It's not perspective it's observation. This is not care bear land. There are things that are true, and things that are not.

If you'd like to explain to me how someone in a discussion about rocket out, says they're working on getting 'good' at phase walking, has any relevance logically, go ahead. I'm waiting.

While youre at it, please explain to me how even the concept of getting 'good' at phase walking exists, in the context of not getting stuck on objects (that's how it was brought in).

Edited by lavatsunami

Please, it does not matter.

Lava, if you believe that Mando/merc needs buffing beyond both your OP and foxmobs' post it would be nice if you'd outline all of it if you have the time.

I don't believe this. Third incorrect conclusion. I think that rocket out needs a mechanics change, hence why i brought it up.

I do not have a polar opposite view of what he is saying. I agree with his each and every word on the RO in the OP. I am worried about overbuffing it as per foxmobs' later post. I have no objections to anything he has to say about my playing ability, he did play with me for a few zones.

You could be absolutely fine at this game, maybe even really good if you would just let go of the belief that this game is complicated and hard. It's not. It's very simple. You're the one holding yourself back.

I don't believe this. Third incorrect conclusion. I think that rocket out needs a mechanics change, hence why i brought it up.

My question was in response to what you have said here:

nd I'm sorry, but you could add all of foxmob's ideas and about 20 more and merc still wouldn't be op.

I am surprised to see you believe that merc lacks so much (I feel quite powerful on the AC) and wanted to see what you would want to add. If you do not, and just spoke passionately, that's fine.

In regards to the Phasewalk, I was bringing it up as an example of a powerful escape/gap closing ability that has an inconvenience to it, as in the player needs to place it in advance, move it when necessary, and be within 60 m to activate the teleport.

I agree that Rocket Out is not a powerful enough escape move because it is aimed backwards, it catches on obstacles and it takes a Heroic utility to protect the Merc after the sprint. Foxmobs suggested that it will be aimed forward AND be activated in the air AND could be initiated when rooted/snared AND can be talented in the Masterful Tier where there will be little competition with other abilities, rather than in a Heroic one.

I think that to bring up the Rocket Out au par with other escapes three out of four suggestions should be sufficient, not all four. Being a backward aim activatable in the air with the other two suggestions would be my pick because I like it how it favors more skillful vs less skillful play.

Edited by DomiSotto

I don't. Maybe I worded my sentence poorly. If you fly forward and you land, your back's turned to the enemy, isn't it? :confused:

no. it's not a blink or a teleport. the move is more like a leap with elements of the op roll. there's more than enough time to turn your camera before the gcd comes back up from what you did before you chose your direction and when your RO finishes. you only mouse away from the enemy for a split second to pinpoint the direction that you want to move. in that sense, it's not like a sprint b/c the sprint is actually affected by the direction that you right mouse at all times (you can change direction while sprinting). RO is only affected by the way you right mouse at the split second that it's activated. there's nothing you can debuff or attack your target with that would be affected whatsoever, afaik.

Yeah, I strafe to kite people on my merc. I just don't get why rocketing forward would work better then backward. When going backward I can instantly slow them.

I get aggravated by it because I clip corners and small obstructions. and I know they're there, but w/o the camera lined up to go exactly where I want, they're impossible to avoid in a timely manner. and that's the key. anyone can stop. turn. line himself up nice and kosher. and then execute the perfect RO. but I'm trying to go from point A to point B as fast as I can. that's the whole point. and if I have to stop and line it up, that defeats the purpose.

it's only useful -- ironically -- while I'm stunned and have nothing better to do but line up the RO or when I'm in open space. clipping the corner of a GTN or something jutting out of the wall in orbital station or vstar...that sort of thing. I'm always afraid to use it running to cap the natural node in CW because if I don't spin absolutely perfectly 180, it will actually slow me down not speed me up. it's not a big deal in open space like moving between nodes in NC or kiting one person in a 1v1. but the game isn't 1v1s, and mercs sure as heck aren't a dueling class (they're not bad)

no. it's not a blink or a teleport. the move is more like a leap with elements of the op roll. there's more than enough time to turn your camera before the gcd comes back up from what you did before you chose your direction and when your RO finishes

Good point, I hadn't thought of that.

Edited by Mordresh

I think that rocket out would be fine as it is " pathing issues and all " if they just added a passive to it. Something similar to the one point skill in heroic.

Like not being able to be leaped to or phase walked to for 6 seconds. Or having our heals activate instantly for the next 2-3 globals. The way it is at the moment it just takes you away from your group and isolates you, meaning you are in more trouble than you where.

I play every AC at all levels of PvP and all classes barring Merc get an "oh **** " button that either allows a full reset of the fight or 3-6 seconds of virtual immunity. Merc, while still being an enjoyable class to play is the only one that has zero ways of getting out of dodge if they are focused.

There is a reason that every time i join a ranked game i am immediately marked and then tunnelled by the opposition.

It isn't because i can blow their healer up any quicker than a Jug or marauder or assassin or PT. It's because im a guaranteed kill if focused, unlike anyone else on my team.

Edited by uzoozu

I think that rocket out would be fine as it is " pathing issues and all " if they just added a passive to it. Something similar to the one point skill in heroic.

Like not being able to be leaped to or phase walked to for 6 seconds. Or having our heals activate instantly for the next 2-3 globals. The way it is at the moment it just takes you away from your group and isolates you, meaning you are in more trouble than you where.

I play every AC at all levels of PvP and all classes barring Merc get an "oh **** " button that either allows a full reset of the fight or 3-6 seconds of virtual immunity. Merc, while still being an enjoyable class to play is the only one that has zero ways of getting out of dodge if they are focused.

There is a reason that every time i join a ranked game i am immediately marked and then tunnelled by the opposition.

It isn't because i can blow their healer up any quicker than a Jug or marauder or assassin or PT. It's because im a guaranteed kill if focused, unlike anyone else on my team.

I would be for the immunity. Then regardless of whether you leaped the full 20 meters or bumped something and barely cleared 1 meter, you would have a second or two of breathing room before the opposing team was right back in your face. It is like your knock back only in reverse. It is still not an "Oh $#%$" ability that others have and enjoy, but at least it would then be a viable skill to use.

I would be for the immunity. Then regardless of whether you leaped the full 20 meters or bumped something and barely cleared 1 meter, you would have a second or two of breathing room before the opposing team was right back in your face. It is like your knock back only in reverse. It is still not an "Oh $#%$" ability that others have and enjoy, but at least it would then be a viable skill to use.

The ability is subpar for all mercs, but at least with dps you can use it preemptively if you are aware of what's coming before they get in range of you to clear space between you and enemies.

The biggest fault I have with it is it stops no one from closing on you if they engage you first... Everyone has a roll, a leap, a port, a speed boost (HO) to close the gap almost instantly after you use rocket out.

This fact only makes it even more stupid for healing mercs.

The last thing a healer needs to do is rocket out backwards away from their guard, away from those who they are trying to heal. The attackers simply leap, roll, portal, speed boost to them in .1 secs picking up right where they left off.

Just awful in design and on top of that, the healing merc gets NO baked-in buff that works with their chaff-flare. It's utter garbage and neglect for the healing merc in PVP.

The ability is subpar for all mercs, but at least with dps you can use it preemptively if you are aware of what's coming before they get in range of you to clear space between you and enemies.

The biggest fault I have with it is it stops no one from closing on you if they engage you first... Everyone has a roll, a leap, a port, a speed boost (HO) to close the gap almost instantly after you use rocket out.

This fact only makes it even more stupid for healing mercs.

The last thing a healer needs to do is rocket out backwards away from their guard, away from those who they are trying to heal. The attackers simply leap, roll, portal, speed boost to them in .1 secs picking up right where they left off.

Just awful in design and on top of that, the healing merc gets NO baked-in buff that works with their chaff-flare. It's utter garbage and neglect for the healing merc in PVP.

I don't disagree.

And that also goes with the assumption that before you used the rocket out, that you also used your knock back or it was on CD and forced your hand. Either way, you are potentially using three CC's to counter just one from an opposing player.

This can be debated till the cows come home but the facts are that it is what it is and it won't be altered because it doesn't affect PvE in any negative way.

I would love to see an immunity - three instant global's to DPS or heal - being unable to be leapt or ported to for 6 seconds..... Any of these would be nice but it won't happen.

I just do my PvP daily's now on my Merc and stay as far away from Ranked as humanly possible.

It's a shame that my Merc is the only class where people actually quit group when i join rated because they know they are handicapped before a shot is fired. I'm just lucky that i have all AC's so i can still enjoy all facets of PvP in this game. I pity anyone that only has a Merc, it means a portion of the game is closed off for them.