Crew skill advice please

Vis_Vires

I am a new player, missed out on beta but got in a little early in EGA. I also play LOTRO and one thing that got me with that, is i didnt get into craftin until I was a level cap. I just never intrested me before. Once I started crafting I realised on what I had missed out on. So with TOR, I want to get into craftin asap, and try and keep it "on level".

Im currently only level 12, chose a few random crew skills when prompted, not really paying any attention to them, as I knew you could change them. So, Im going to get into it now.

Ive always tanked in mmorpgs, so went with a sith jugg, for crewskills i was thinking of going with:

Archaeology

Synthweaving

Underworld Trading

I think thats about right for focusing on armour, as damage etc is obviously secondary for a tank. Do those choices seem to make sense?

As I havent even touched anything to do with crafting/crew skills - I have no idea how they work. Is there an almost "idiots guide" anywhere. Ive had a look at some other websites which explains the skills quite well. But not exactly how I go about doing anything. I havent seen any crafting "stations" (like... forge etc) or even any nodes that im aware of, but liek I said Im new, so Ive probably missed quite allot of important info.

Any help/advice for an aging gamer greatly appreciated.

It was really strange to me too when I started.

You don't craft the armor yourself. You tell your companions to do it. They disappear for a minute or so, and then come back with the armor.

You can gather mats yourself, and you will see nodes out there, but you should really be telling your companions to go out on missions to gather them. These missions will send your companions away for 3-5 minutes at low levels, and 30-60minutes later.

Just open the companion menu to do it. I forgot what the default hotkey is, but I believe you can click on it from the top middle menus.

You say that you were usually a tank in other games and plan to do so here as well.

Since you are playing a tank, I guess you will usually have a group of friends to support, heal you. (The companion system is a miracle, since you can play as a tank even while not grouped and... well, this is another story.)

Coming from the above points you will be doing flashpoints a lot, so you will be always up to date with your gear, so synthweaving wouldn't be used out that much.

So, since you will be a critical asset to a group as a tank, why don't you take the biochem, bioanalisys way and get yourself the reusable buffs and medpacks to be awesome?:D