Please no more Warcraft terms.

Anysao

It can be utterly confusing. I ask you to please cut down on them, as they can be annoying. Some things I do and do not like are below-

Bad slang: :mad:

"Raids"- Why is it so hard to say Ops? It can be incredibly confusing to a new player.

"Taunts"- I am tank-specced and I had NO idea where "taunts" come from, and took forever for me to learn that it's just to grab the attention of the enemy.

"Mobs"- Where does this come from for NPCs? It's the most random name so far.

"Instance"- Don't really have a problem with this one, yet I'm not sure where it comes from, it seems just like an odd term.

"Dungeons"- I assume you mean Flashpoints, and you can not have a worse term. Since when is being in deep space, while being under attack by an enemy cruiser, a "dungeon"?

"Pets"- A companion is a NPC sidekick, not a pet. For pets, see mouse droids, and other droids. I WILL KILL ANYONE WHO CALLS MY COMPANION A PET!!

"Spells"- They are ENTIRELY unrelated to Force Powers. People consider Grenades spells!

"Adds"- I just don't like this one- I prefer to say "backup", for the boss.

"CC"- I understood it was for Crowd Control, but a more accurate term is stuns.

"DPS" (person)- That just doesn't make sense, how can a person be considered damage per second? Perhaps a better term is Damage Dealer.

Slang I'm fine with::)

"Aggro"- I don't like the term, but it's the only term i know of to get attention of NPCs.

"Tank"- Well, this is in any MMO, so, it's not really a problem.

"DPS" (damage)- Although we rarely mean "Damage Per SECOND", it is useful to understand.

"HP"- Hitpoints, or health. No problem here.

I wont lecture you, but, please, for other player's gaming experience, use standard terms to help people learn how the game works.:D

Edited by Anysao
had to add more stuff i dislike.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry OP, but as far as I know none of the terms you are complaining about came from WoW originally. There are one or two I am not sure about, but the vast majority of them came from older MMOs like Ultima Online or Meridian 59, or the slightly newer ones like Everquest.

Mind you, there are a few that came from table-top D&D playing.

WoW is not as original as you might think :)

Mob comes from mobile object, without looking it up - standard term that has nothing to do with Wow.

I agree for terms like ops, flashpoints and missions etc. On the flip side, people used to those terms will ask, what is that? And the answer will be, it's like a raid etc.

It can be utterly confusing. I ask you to please cut down on them, as they can be annoying. Some things I do and do not like are below-

"Raids"- Why is it so hard to say Ops? It can be incredibly confusing to a new player.

"Taunts"- I am tank-specced and I had NO idea where "taunts" come from, and took forever for me to learn that it's just to grab the attention of the enemy.

"Instance"- Don't really have a problem with this one, yet I'm not sure where it comes from, it seems just like an odd term.

"Dungeons"- I assume you mean Flashpoints, and you can not have a worse term. Since when is being in deep space, while being under attack by an enemy cruiser, a "dungeon"?

"Pets"- A companion is a NPC sidekick, not a pet. For pets, see mouse droids, and other droids. I WILL KILL ANYONE WHO CALLS MY COMPANION A PET!!

"Aggro"- I don't like the term, but it's the only term i know of to get attention of NPCs.

"DPS"- Although we rarely mean "Damage Per SECOND", it is useful to understand.

I wont lecture you, but, please, for other player's gaming experience, use standard terms to help people learn how the game works.:D

These aren't WoW terms they are MMO terms...

A raid is a quest generally requiring 8 or more people that is significantly more challenging than a standard quest.

Mob stands for mobile and is a programming term dating back to MUDS. It is any standard monster.

Taunts are named taunts in the game. They are moves that grab aggro or generate hate allowing a tank to keep the monster/bosses attention despite having lower dps than other party members.

Instance is a programming term. It refers to an instanced area which is an area that belongs to you and your group, i.e a non public area.

Dungeons and Instances are generally interchangeable as most dungeons are instanced.

Edited by Zarrot

A taunt is a battle cry, a method in hand-to-hand combat, sarcastic remark, gesture, or insult intended to demoralize the recipient, or to anger them and encourage reactionary behaviors without thinking (WIKIPEDIA). Whatever the game you're playing, this is exactly what the tank must do

Mobs are living, moving game entities. Generally, mobs are affected by the environment in the same ways as the player (MINECRAFTWIKI)

I'm fairly certain most of those terms have been applied to MMOs since their inception and are therefore universally recognized by the MMORPG playing community. I understand that in an effort to immerse players in the game world Bioware decided to rename dungeons and raids, flash points and operations but that doesn't change what they are.

In short if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it's a duck. Or in this case they are dungeons, raids, and pets (specifically combat pets, with the exception of the annoying ship steward).

Most of the terms are from the meaning of the word Examples:

Taunt - something you do to get someone's attention or to elicit some sort of reaction.

Mob - a group of people.

Instance - a single copy of something. So you are in your own copy of this area.

Aggro - aggression towards someone or something

On the other hand, calling a companion a pet or minion does seem weird since that's not exactly what they are.

Edited by Terrulin

Sorry OP, but as far as I know none of the terms you are complaining about came from WoW originally. There are one or two I am not sure about, but the vast majority of them came from older MMOs like Ultima Online or Meridian 59, or the slightly newer ones like Everquest.

Mind you, there are a few that came from table-top D&D playing.

WoW is not as original as you might think :)

This.

And tbh, ops is more confusing to me than raid. Anyone who has played more than one mmo will probably understand what you're trying to get across because this terminology has been around much longer than WoW or SWTOR...

As stated - Most of these terms did not originate with WoW and have validity even in SWTOR based on standard definitions, not anything MMO specific.

One Taunt definition - to provoke. This is why it is used as the word to draw attention and the abilities in the game use this term as well. In fact the Jedi Guardian has an ability called Taunt.

MOBs is short for Mobile Objects and is an old term used in video games for objects that have programmed interaction with the user. This has been used since the mid 90s for NPCs in video games.

Standard term for a single object that is created from a template object in programming. Used to identify a specific map area when multiple map areas exist.

I agree here. I hate when I call my companion a Pet and feel like slapping myself.

Long time slang term for overly aggressive attitudes.

Edited by Gorghte

The part I am confused about is I played all the Warcraft games from "Humans vs Orcs" all the addons for Warcraft III and I never heard any of those terms.

These are MMO terms, not Warcraft terms despite what the OP stated in the topic name.

Yet these are all words used in a game I've played called City of Heroes, an MMO released before WoW. We have the Hamidon "Raid", tankers have a power called "Taunt" (which, yes, taunts), "Mobs" are constantly being "Aggro'ed", and Controllers and Masterminds summon "Pets" which they need to keep under control.

Yep, despite what so many people like to think, not everything came from WoW. In fact, if you look closely, you'll discover 99% of it came from MMO's in general, not solely WoW...

This is my fourth MMO and yeah, these terms are everywhere. And as someone said, at least one of them, 'dungeon', goes back to table top rpg gaming, i.e. Dungeons and Dragons, which I first tried back in 1980 (and hated, BORING! imho).

I agree, it's weird to call a space battle instance a 'dungeon', but what the hey. Like some of the other posters, the one that bothers me is 'pet' for the companion. The companions really are something new (at least to me) and different. You interact with them in a way you never did with a pet.

As to not knowing what the various terms mean, well, neither did I when I started. Instead of complaining, ask! Simple enough, and most people will be happy to tell you, and the flamers who act like you're a doofus for not already knowing aren't worth bothering about.

The reason for such terms to make quick comments whilst in battle, you dont wanna have to type "can the tank please take these npcs off me as im dying", its much easier to say "aggro" or "taunt off me please".

you missed off

adds - when 1 or more npcs join in on the current fight.

cc - crowd control - using abilities that temperarly disable the npc of movement or attacks.

pat - patrol - when npcs are walking along a set path which may bring them back along your path as you attack a group of npcs.

The reason for such terms to make quick comments whilst in battle, you dont wanna have to type "can the tank please take these npcs off me as im dying", its much easier to say "aggro" or "taunt off me please".

you missed off

adds - when 1 or more npcs join in on the current fight.

cc - crowd control - using abilities that temperarly disable the npc of movement or attacks.

pat - patrol - when npcs are walking along a set path which may bring them back along your path as you attack a group of npcs.

Don't forget:

hlz or hlr - sometimes used to refer to a "Healer"

pwn, pwnz, pwn'd, or pwnage - thou hast been "owned"

noob, newb, or newbz - derogatory term used to refer to a new player, or even commonly used by the uneducated to refer to someone who doesn't agree with their point of view

Not to mention countless internet memes which find their way into General chat. It's an MMO thing.

Believe it or not, WoW wasn't the first MMO and it's not the only one out there. ALL of these terms were coined long before WoW's release.

This is my fourth MMO and yeah, these terms are everywhere. And as someone said, at least one of them, 'dungeon', goes back to table top rpg gaming, i.e. Dungeons and Dragons, which I first tried back in 1980 (and hated, BORING! imho).

I agree, it's weird to call a space battle instance a 'dungeon', but what the hey. Like some of the other posters, the one that bothers me is 'pet' for the companion. The companions really are something new (at least to me) and different. You interact with them in a way you never did with a pet.

As to not knowing what the various terms mean, well, neither did I when I started. Instead of complaining, ask! Simple enough, and most people will be happy to tell you, and the flamers who act like you're a doofus for not already knowing aren't worth bothering about.

(I quoted this one as it's the most polite)

And I have asked, and they've defined it for me. I respect these terms, and now after 50 levels, I under stand them (I've actually said "taunt" during a flashpoint).

And I know they aren't WoW terms, I just said that as that's probably the most popular MMO currently. And it's not about me, it's about the new players. This is my first MMO, and I only half-understood them because I started a thread like back in augest asking about it.

Ps- and my apoalgiseis, I had no idea Jedi guardians literrly had "taunt". I'm a sith assassin, and my aggro-grab or "taunt", is called mind control/mass mind control. Not exactly a TAUNT...

I totally agree. Mostly because I have a little pet peve for mixing genre's. So I am all for sticking to the TOR terms. But I will add taunt and instance to the list of acceptable terms since they are generic in the same way aggro and tank are.

While I have seen some stupid use of wow terms, such as people saying "auction house" when they mean GTN, which is stupid, since you can't auction anything there, but none of the ones OP listed are wow terms, but general MMO terms, and most of them fit this game perfectly.

But his worst fail was to list this:

This term actually does appear in the game.

Both Jedi Guardian and Sith Juggernaut have a taunt that is actually called Taunt:

http://www.torhead.com/ability/8XuC0mD/taunt

And while some of the other classes have abilities that do the exactly same thing, but with different name

http://www.torhead.com/ability/eIEgfXH/mind-control

http://www.torhead.com/ability/2gxRkBX/neural-jolt

http://www.torhead.com/ability/6AmO3ek/neural-dart

The common term to describe all of these abilities is "taunt".

In fact this is exactly the same in this game as it was in wow. There too, only one of the four tank classes had a taunt that was actually called Taunt, but the similar abilities of all the tank classes were called commonly taunts.

Yeah, some are indeed general mmo terms but you would be correct that they don't necessarily apply nor make sense. Change, people fear it...they like familiarity and stabilization. :shrug:

On the upside, you can use combo terms or cut things out yourself. My big 3 are Raids, Pets, and DPS. Hate using those terms.

• "Raid"? I absolutely refuse to call an Op a "Raid". I won't use the term. I may lose some guys on what I'm talking about...but I guess I don't really care because "they" haven't bothered to update themselves. And likewise, they probably don't care if they lose me.
  • "Dungeon". Unless I'm actually going into a dungeon (and I've played many a table-top), I won't use this term. Though, I don't think I've ever needed to either.
  • "Pets" is indeed annoying. My companions are exactly that...companions. It was actually confusing to me for a moment when someone asked me what pet skills I had. At the time I had T7 AND my actual Mouse Droid pet out. It clicked after that momentary pause, but I was having a bad day so naturally I answered, "They don't have skills".:D
  • "DPS" This one actually bothers me. It's a term describing what I do. I'm fine with that. However, I hate calling people dps. I'll generally use the term "damage dealer". A damage dealer generates dps. Played about 6+ different MMO's up until this one. Not one did I hear the term "DPS" used as I hear it in this game. More often then not, it was Damage Dealer or DD for short.:)

I'd love to see more people use the terms associated with the specific game too...but...eh...to each their own I suppose.:rolleyes:

Those are not "WoW" terms, rather standard gaming terms actually.

Only thing one can argue with is that people should use Ops, Missions and Flashpoints but you will frequently see even devs refer to them as quests and raids. It hasn't originated from WoW btw.

Everquest tanks had an ability called Taunt that put them on top of the aggro list. So abilities that do that get called by that. You see the same sort of thing with how people sometimes refer to CCs by names of abilities from other games. Though with taunt, well, most every game has an ability called taunt, so that name sticks.