Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[SPOILERS] The Last Jedi [SPOILERS]

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Off-Topic
[SPOILERS] The Last Jedi [SPOILERS]

Lunafox
12.22.2017 , 10:20 PM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by Tahana View Post
LOL love that response.. We could have had Hannibal the Porgannibal. As with many I have my own issues with this latest release, but the new trilogy isn't over yet. So we'll see how it gets wrapped up. That final movie will be the determining success or failure of the movies as a whole. Much like with the original ones some were better, some were worse.. but as a whole the franchise captures our hearts and our fandom. We'll see if it will continue.
Haha glad you liked it I had a few issues with the movie too, but overall I had a good time and enjoyed it. I find myself liking it a lot more than TFA and found myself liking the characters more in the new one. TLJ left me excited like I hadn't been over a SW in a long time. Like you say, it'll be decided by what they do with the last, what the final outcome will be. I hope I won't be disappointed, I'm so hesitant to invest myself in anything for worry of that.

JediAkemi
12.23.2017 , 12:03 PM | #52
So... saw it today.

During the opening crawl I said to myself "Hmm, that's not going to get people crying 'Empire Strikes Back rehash!', honest guv". I like Poe trolling Hux (or "tooling with him" as that other bridge officer said) - certainly fit Poe's character given how he trolled Kylo in TFA.

When the first dreadnaught came out of hyperspace, I almost squeee'd. I was like "Oh my Goddess! Is that the Eclipse?"

The bombers - my reaction was "Those aren't Y-Wings! What the frell... ok, that's a lot of bombs. This is either going to go hideously wrong or hilariously right" (and yeah, I know - some good old 'space is an ocean' tropes in play with the dreadnaught sinking 'down' instead of towards the planet, and them dropping the bombs on it like that as if they're strafing an aircraft carrier).

Snoke remotely knocking Hux around the bridge during a holocall, and zapping Kylo through the floor felt almost like a more playful version of how Vader or Palpatine might scare the living daylights out of people. I kinda felt like he was speaking for the entire fandom when he told Kylo to "take that ridiculous thing off"

I was disappointed that Rose & Finn weren't bringing back Lando, but I didn't mind their character interactions.

Leia getting blasted into space but using the Force to pull herself back? Mixed feelings there. On the one hand, killing her there after Kylo didn't take the shot could have made for some interesting character development. On the other... it's cool to see her actually use the Force after all the "But why isn't Leia a Jedi?!?!" whining that followed TFA. I think they want a little too far with it, but c'est la vie. It was a cool-looking shot.

Yoda's ghost - totally didn't see that coming*, but I loved his scene.
*probably because in the old EU, Yoda never appeared to Luke after Endor, and Obi-Wan only stuck around for another 5 years. Perhaps I must unlearn what I have learned, eh?

I applauded when Kylo killed Snoke. Rey and Kylo fighting against the red guards was fun - the weapons those guys were wielding looked so cool. I think I want one.
Kylo's claim that Rey's parents were nobody - I dunno... again, mixed feelings. On the one hand, I still wanted her to be the new Jaina to his Jacen, but on the other... it's almost a relief that they're not just copying. My initial reaction was "Oh you magnificent b@st@rds, that's gonna annoy so many people"

Phasma - I'm disappointed that we didn't get to really see her face. When Finn damaged her helmet, I wanted her to take it off and fight him some more, but nope - anonymous to the fiery end. Is she dead? Well, you'd think so, but 'never found the body' is a trope for a reason
Time will tell.

The last stand... almost felt like Hoth in reverse. Those broken-down skimmer thingies certainly sold the idea that the base had been abandoned for almost 40 years. New AT-ATs... yeah, they looked appropriately dangerous. Calling that cannon thing "miniaturised Death Star tech" seemed like they were over-selling it though.

Luke surviving that massed fire... hey, before I knew he was a projection I figured he had a Force trick up his sleeve and that Hux shouldn't have stopped the barrage yet. Of course, I was thinking more along the lines of a Sage's invinci-bubble from in-game than what he was actually doing, but c'est la vie.
I also liked how he just dodged Kylo's angry attacks. It was as if actually crossing swords with him was beneath him. His becoming one with the Force afterwards... an interesting parallel to Obi-Wan's death, but not sure it was necessary to kill him off.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie. I may well see it again during the week with my family.

Oh, and this needs to be said.

Rest in Peace Carrie Fisher. Until your next life. May it be a happy one

DarthDymond
12.29.2017 , 07:57 AM | #53
Saw it twice and gave it a couple weeks to let the 'new car smell' wear off a bit. I still think it's the best SW movie since TESB -- the characters, the story, the production quality, the acting, the humor, the action . . . I really enjoyed every major aspect of this movie.

To repeat an earlier post, that is not to say the movie was without flaws, by any stretch. All SW movies have their flaws, and this one is no exception. It's just that, for me, the good far, far outweighed the occasional missteps and shortcomings.

(Spoiler tags for length -- everything to be taken with an obviously implied "IMO")

The Good and the Great:

Providing something new.
Spoiler

Everything on Ahch-To.
Spoiler

Killing Snoke.
Spoiler

Rey's parentage.
Spoiler

The Rey / Kylo Ren mental link.
Spoiler

The Codebreaker.
Spoiler

The action sequences.
Spoiler

Turning Hux into a punchline.
Spoiler

Most of the humor throughout was great.
Spoiler

The last scene played my emotions like a fiddle.
Spoiler

The Not-So-Good and the Bad:

Super-Leia.
Spoiler

The "ticking clock" setup with the Resistance fleet.
Spoiler

God-mode BB-8.
Spoiler

A few of the individual jokes fell flat.
Spoiler

The So-So:

Hyperspace Ramming.
Spoiler

Canto Bight.
Spoiler
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars. ~Kain

Refer A Friend Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2gNj3d to get the free stuff detailed here

btmart
12.30.2017 , 02:55 AM | #54
This was the worst show for Star Wars. It not only didn't care about the characters that were before this trilogy, it never cared about the current characters in this trilogy.

1) Luke is the opposite of the Luke we've known and love. His actions are against his character. He is not a child killer. He is one whom redeems another from their dark side tendencies.

2) There is nothing that TFA or TLJ gives us to like about the new characters. The only thing that is there is the fact that there is "diversity". Or whateverTF that means. Sad state of affairs. I made comment to my GF as we were watching this, and I was like what's up with all the females in this? She agreed it was weird. Enough with SJW commentary forced on us within the last three movies, okay? We get it. You don't like white males. I understand it. So quit kicking that dead horse.

3) Yoda and all he was, was thrown down the toilet.

4) The Force just basically explains anything now. Explain the plot holes by just using the force. Of course that explains everything. Because the force can do EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!

5) Slapstick humor didn't work in the Prequil Trilogy, and ridiculous jokes don't work in this one. Just stop it!

6) Is Leia Marry Poppins? and "How now brown cow?" are you going to explain her death when you had a perfectly good one done?

This is a **** show at it's worst.

Oh btw, how do bombs fall out of a bomber ship IN SPACE??? I'm just sayin. Think about it. For help, Y-Wings/B-Wings used TORPEDOES!

Anyone? Anyone? Why would space ships use bombs as opposed to torpedoes?

Rebamcfan
12.30.2017 , 03:25 AM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthDymond View Post
Saw it twice and gave it a couple weeks to let the 'new car smell' wear off a bit. I still think it's the best SW movie since TESB -- the characters, the story, the production quality, the acting, the humor, the action . . . I really enjoyed every major aspect of this movie.

To repeat an earlier post, that is not to say the movie was without flaws, by any stretch. All SW movies have their flaws, and this one is no exception. It's just that, for me, the good far, far outweighed the occasional missteps and shortcomings.

(Spoiler tags for length -- everything to be taken with an obviously implied "IMO")

The Good and the Great:

Providing something new.
Spoiler

Everything on Ahch-To.
Spoiler

Killing Snoke.
Spoiler

Rey's parentage.
Spoiler

The Rey / Kylo Ren mental link.
Spoiler

The Codebreaker.
Spoiler

The action sequences.
Spoiler

Turning Hux into a punchline.
Spoiler

Most of the humor throughout was great.
Spoiler

The last scene played my emotions like a fiddle.
Spoiler
That was pretty nice write-up on the positive sides of the film, I agree with them mostly. After my second viewing, TLJ became one of my favorite SW-films (tied with RoTJ, AoTC and R1.)
Spoiler
http://www.swtor.com/r/3d6ZQg Many thanks for those who have clicked my Referral link, I've been able to unlock many things. ^_^
"To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, arts." -Grand Admiral Thrawn