Bolster

cantstopmeh

Fling what you bring, in 55 WZ. I'm sick of haveing gear and some freshy is going toe to toe with me, with blues in his gear,

Honestly if you cannot absolutely destroy a "freshy" in blue gear with a well geared setup, then bolster is not the problem.

Fling what you bring, in 55 WZ. I'm sick of haveing gear and some freshy is going toe to toe with me, with blues in his gear,

There are a lot of reasons I despise bolster in its current form. Giving someone fair chance to beat me or me to beat them with minimal gear advantages is not one of them. In fact; I think it could do a better job.

Honestly, they made Bolster way too complicated. It's a good idea (not as good as dumping expertise, but better than the old system). The better way to do it would be to set a specific set of stats on each mod as a minimum and a maximum. If it doesn't come up to the minimum, give it the minimum stat. If it is over the maximum, cut it back to the maximum stats. Simple, would give the effect they say they are looking for and it wouldn't take a mountain of math to figure it out. It'd also be a lot harder to exploit.

Haha you're funny. Bolster makes any 55 on par with a conc geared toon. Bolster in 55 WZ makes no sence.

So you're saying that he's getting buffed so his gear is equal to yours and he's beating you?

Again, sounds like your problem can be solved with more skill on your part. He's either a noob who's better than you (and deserves to win) or you're good but he's an old hand player on a new toon that just knows how to play (and deserves to win).

Bolster isn't the problem. Just fix it so we can see what effect our new mods will have BEFORE we enter a warzone so we can build our gear better.

To the individuals that immediately made the conclusion I was talking about a player from the opposite team... You're *********** morons, take a trip to the bottom of a lake unconscious. The old system worked fine, the majority of players on the pvp server held no trepidations of entering WZ based on their gear. Sure with 4v4s gear might be a huge factor, but during the objective baced TEAM WZ, even some one with minimal gear can help; top of the score board won't be the place to find them, so if that's your goal.... Srrry you can't help stupid. Look at Bio, they tried, it's called bolster. The PvE server handhold system, that somehow made its way into pvp servers.

So I'll keep doing what we do.... With the gear I ground out, didn't explote from bolster. I will mecilessly grind low level pubs into the ground. Untill your ranks diminish. Bring on the comments from insignificant individuals without a single intelligent original thought, about how I must just suck at WZ. /pointlaugh

To the individuals that immediately made the conclusion I was talking about a player from the opposite team... You're *********** morons, take a trip to the bottom of a lake unconscious. The old system worked fine, the majority of players on the pvp server held no trepidations of entering WZ based on their gear. Sure with 4v4s gear might be a huge factor, but during the objective baced TEAM WZ, even some one with minimal gear can help; top of the score board won't be the place to find them, so if that's your goal.... Srrry you can't help stupid. Look at Bio, they tried, it's called bolster. The PvE server handhold system, that somehow made its way into pvp servers.

So I'll keep doing what we do.... With the gear I ground out, didn't explote from bolster. I will mecilessly grind low level pubs into the ground. Untill your ranks diminish. Bring on the comments from insignificant individuals without a single intelligent original thought, about how I must just suck at WZ. /pointlaugh

It's not an exploit, but I don't even know if you would be willing to accept why it isn't. It's ok to be mad about the situation, but in the end, if you actually like to PvP for the competition, then maybe you should re-examine your stance on the bolster matter.

You said it yourself, they are in par with you so there are no excuses outside of L2P and Class Balance. THAT cannot be debated with bolster present.

Edited by L-RANDLE

The old system seemed very easy to understand to me... Hit cap. Get recruit gear. Begin grind for PvP gear. Progress to highest tier. Max/min with different PVP Mods to perfect.

Now... we have bolster, which, despite its intention to simplify things and make things better for fresh max levelers, it seems much more complicated. It doesn't work correctly, the devs were beyond slow in fixing everything, and even slower in trying to provide a thorough and detailed explanation of how it works (and we're still waiting for the "mathy" thread we were promised). Despite all the fixes, PvE items still trump PvP for PVP in a few instances.

I think it's turned a lot of people off to PvP. I know I've long since given up on it, and without PVP, there is very little to the game for me these days.

Edited by Kirtastropohe

The philosophy of bolster is working correctly... As stated by the OP him/herself, everyone is pretty much on par. This means there are multiple ways to enter PvP, regardless of where you start. It evens the field better than ANY static PvP gear could...

People get too caught up in the pragmatic affects, without looking at the bigger picture. While I would have appreciated some transparency on this matter as it relates to my own subjective "grind time", the fact remains that its irrelevant because bolster assures some stat consistentcy from WZ to WZ...

You have an odd memory of the past, because the words that comes to mind when I think of the old matches are "meat grinder." I think Huttball was the only map type where gear didn't matter so much -- just so long as there wasn't a massive gear differential, in which case most people couldn't get out of the end zone. Every other map it was like a group of sailors tearing through a smidgen of baby seals. Voidstar was the absolutely: some matches you'd be dead within ten seconds of exiting the start box. That all went away for the most part once they added bolster to 55.

First, I think more players are hurting their stats unintentionally or by simply not caring in the current system than back when we had recruit. Basically every normal warzone has a couple of PvE geared players in tiers higher than optimal for bolster and/or returning players in BM. Partisan as the new recruit gear wouldnt have been the definite solution but I think it would have been better, it would have made a whole lot more sense atleast.

As for bolster in itself, it's over the top. There is no point in having PvP gear if bolster is going to bring you within 5 % of BiS PvP gear anyway, for some bolstered items higher than BiS PvP. So what's the purpose of PvP gear? If the purpose is to add incentive to play more games then they've failed catastrophically.

So they need to either make PvP gear worth the trouble, not just refering to the games it takes to get it but also the min/maxing and credit costs for extracing mods, or simply get rid of it and replace the incentive with something els. The only problem is that all their good ideas, and they're not all that good, are left in the cartel market. I mean, they can't even give the SC and VIP vendors a few items every X months, it took almost two years to add five or so items.

On another note, I topped charts in full greens on sage back when bolster wasnt implemented yet (to prove a point) so even no expertise is good enough for normal warzones. And if it isnt then it's not the gear, it's you. You can argue about the mathematical advantages of having expertise all you want but a good player does not drop to being average or worse because of the gear unless he/she is up against a full team of equally skilled players in significally better gear.....and the chances of that scenario are minimal because every game pre-bolster had gear disparity and skill disparity. People make it sound like every time they were gearing a new char they didnt get to face anything other than the top two premades, on the same team, in min/maxed WH. You're not better than the rest just because you come here, it's not some validation of skill to post in the PvP so if you thought no bolster was a problem it's still the opinion of a sub par player.

Edited by MidichIorian

The old system seemed very easy to understand to me... Hit cap. Get recruit gear. Begin grind for PvP gear. Progress to highest tier. Max/min with different PVP Mods to perfect.

Now... we have bolster, which, despite its intention to simplify things and make things better for fresh max levelers, it seems much more complicated. It doesn't work correctly, the devs were beyond slow in fixing everything, and even slower in trying to provide a thorough and detailed explanation of how it works (and we're still waiting for the "mathy" thread we were promised). Despite all the fixes, PvE items still trump PvP for PVP in a few instances.

I think it's turned a lot of people off to PvP. I know I've long since given up on it, and without PVP, there is very little to the game for me these days.

No, it's not complicated. First, buy the introductory armor tier. Then trade it in for ranked. Along the way augment a set of shells you like. After all of that you should have the best possible set of PvP gear available. It's that simple. Yes, there are a few PvE pieces that give you almost the same results but at the end of the day ranked PvP is still your end goal regardless. If you think it's complicated it's because YOU are making it complicated.

And, NO, they should never reveal the calculations behind bolster. Why? So every min/maxer in the game can figure out how to beat the system?

How is it over the top though? It's perfectly fine as an automatic stat setting to assure consistency from WZ to WZ and there are no huge deltas.

At the core, it is "better" to eliminate this variable, so you can decide whether something has balance issues if its a flat out L2P issue.

I know people are pissed about the grind, but you can't really make any reasonable conclusions about the stuff that matters, while stat were all over the place in the old system.

Putting gear in PvP for incentive was a fail design. We need to move away from it and bolster is the first step..

I know people are pissed about the grind, but you can't really make any reasonable conclusions about the stuff that matters, while stat were all over the place in the old system..
The stats are all over the place in the new system too. We have 39K sages mixed with non-auged Conqs with 300 less bonus damage than someone in BiS etc. The thing is just that all of them could have been close to BiS if they had bought a low level PvE set on GTN instead. And that's one of the problems, what people believe is logicial is not. I mean, if you were to ask some random person who knows nothing about this game what he would think would be the best gear in PvP he'd, assuming he didnt take it as a trick question, answer PvP gear followed by good PvE gear. Now it's more like mix of PvE gear and BiS PvP gear ----> BiS PvP gear --> low level PvE gear ---> non-BiS PvP gear/high tier PvE gear. That is not a good system.

Also, looking at post-bolster scoreboards I'd say that it should be obvious to everyone that skill disparity is a bigger factor than gear. Some people seem to have been under the impression that everyone would be somewhat tied but we still have plenty of scoreboards where one person is out-performing the rest with the same spec 5:1.

Edited by MidichIorian

Yes, I agree skill is a factor, but in this case we are talking about the easily controllable stuff. This is why I advocate removing "PvP gear" in this form because it would take the complexity out of bolster. While bolster has plenty of warts, the issue always has been the existance of this form of gear being available. Think about it. 100% PVP gear has never been BiS... Ever.... But its the only constant that has never been looked at over the perceived notion that PVP players need something to grind for. This form of PVP gearing needs to go away...

I'll trade it for two new warzones every quarter. The existing warzones lack the quantity and quality to keep people entertained without an extra incentive.

Another reason to eliminate PVP gear. If bolster was slightly improved, and a new way of PVP gearing was introduced, they wouldn't have to spend as much time as they do changing bolster every time a new gear tier comes out..

If I were in charge you'd have a deal....

Bolste is a joke, 46 level weapon for sorc increases 15-20% DMB, and what to collect 3.5 k RC for PVP weapon.

So it makes them more viable, when they are not really viable.. Sounds like a much needed improvement, and its not 20%. Oh and how much does your crit multi go down when you equip those?

Take the blinders off friend. Yes it has some slight issues, but bolster is significantly better than the prior system

Honestly if you cannot absolutely destroy a "freshy" in blue gear with a well geared setup, then bolster is not the problem.

Quoted for so much truth my interwebs just exploded.

When are people going to learn that gear is only maybe 1/3rd of what wins battles. Getting into the fasted car in a race won't win me that race if I can't drive worth a crap.

Edited by Elfa

not wrote that the prior system is better than bolster, just turn the attention of the 15-20% does not apply to all character classes and only Sorc because others who are not using the force power do not have this.

I did not understand what you wrote at all, are you using Google Translate?