Good areas to Gather

Gemble

• 4 weeks later...
It depends on what item level you're looking for and I can't cite any examples atm , but a nice trick I discovered of the higher level planets is that there are areas with friendly mobs, that are quest areas for your opposing faction. But since they're heavy occupied by mobs they tend to have a lot of respawning nodes. So if you can find one of these 'friendly' zones , you're free to ride around without getting into fights and scoop up nodes

My advice, don't gather materials manually. Send companions on missions and do a set of dailies or queue for a HMFP.

Grade 9 missions cost about 3000 credits each. Running ONE daily will get you 8700 as the reward for completion; TWO dailies covers the cost of one pass of five companions (and that does not even count the drops you get). And if you happen to come across some nodes so much the better :).

A lot depends on the reason for you gathering? If it is for profit then stick to the planets that drop level 3 and 4 materials. That is the ones in your characters 30's, early 40's. They give the highest reward for your efforts and the materials are often much more expensive than end game or starter planet ones. I guess people spend less time on those worlds, I certainly do.

A lot depends on the reason for you gathering? If it is for profit then stick to the planets that drop level 3 and 4 materials. That is the ones in your characters 30's, early 40's. They give the highest reward for your efforts and the materials are often much more expensive than end game or starter planet ones. I guess people spend less time on those worlds, I certainly do.

Even then...

Grade 3 missions take 5 minutes to run and cost less than 500 credits each

Grade 4 missions take 15 minutes to run and cost between 700-1500 credits each

Furthermore, with missions you can control what you go for (power crystals, color crystals, or artifact fragments).

I can take 20-30 minutes, send my companions on missions, and do a daily area's quests. I get materials and good credits and comms.

Even then...

Grade 3 missions take 5 minutes to run and cost less than 500 credits each

Grade 4 missions take 15 minutes to run and cost between 700-1500 credits each

Furthermore, with missions you can control what you go for (power crystals, color crystals, or artifact fragments).

I can take 20-30 minutes, send my companions on missions, and do a daily area's quests. I get materials and good credits and comms.

I would agree with you if you some how lost the ability to send companions on missions while gathering. You don't. The best reward for time is to send companions on missions and gather yourself. Of course you can do FP and dailies for money but that gets less profitable the worse your gear is (dying can be expensive). The highest rewards are also earned within groups not solo. I also question your value of grade 3 materials, depending on the ones you are able to gather 1000 to 1200 is more common on Shadowlands my server.

I would agree with you if you some how lost the ability to send companions on missions while gathering. You don't. The best reward for time is to send companions on missions and gather yourself. Of course you can do FP and dailies for money but that gets less profitable the worse your gear is (dying can be expensive). The highest rewards are also earned within groups not solo. I also question your value of grade 3 materials, depending on the ones you are able to gather 1000 to 1200 is more common on Shadowlands my server.

When I said "cost" I meant "cost to run the mission" not "valued on the GTN." sorry for that misunderstanding.

And you're right regarding missions and gathering at the same time. But when you consider that running one daily (at ~8700 credits) covers the cost of running 16 grade 3 missions or ~8 grade 4s, which is a better way to make credits: running around an area gathering stuff for sale, or running dailies?

You are also right that dying costs money. So don't die :p. Seriously, daily areas are not that difficult. Sure you can get into trouble if you get too aggressive or are not paying attention, but whose fault is that?

Just had a scamper round Voss leveling an alt. As I went around I was gathering Bio and Scavenging. I'm not lying when I say with little effort and in only 2 hours. I have picked up over 200 materials nearly all of them selling for over 1000 credits each. To me that beats nearly any set of dailies I could be doing. But of course if more people did it then the value would plunge. So feel free to skip these worlds guys and keep buying off the GTM :D

Just had a scamper round Voss leveling an alt. As I went around I was gathering Bio and Scavenging. I'm not lying when I say with little effort and in only 2 hours. I have picked up over 200 materials nearly all of them selling for over 1000 credits each. To me that beats nearly any set of dailies I could be doing. But of course if more people did it then the value would plunge. So feel free to skip these worlds guys and keep buying off the GTM :D

Yes, you were "leveling an alt." I assume that means doing quests, killing mobs, and moving from area to area. So not only did you get materials but XP, and credits, and items (drops and quest rewards). Sounds awfully similar to running dailies to me.;)

Now do that same two hour scamper on a level 55 with nothing to do other than gather materials. Try to find a single relatively small area with density to stick around. Try to not get frustrated because the materials you're getting are not what you want/need (some players do gather to craft into specific items). Lastly those mobs surrounding a node become an annoyance due to no XP and crappy loot. Not to mention you might be killing mobs that a player who is leveling a character might want/need.

The OP was not very clear as to his intentions. We can only make guesses. If he ever comes back, maybe we can give more appropriate advice.

Edited by psandak

My advice, don't gather materials manually. Send companions on missions and do a set of dailies or queue for a HMFP.

Grade 9 missions cost about 3000 credits each. Running ONE daily will get you 8700 as the reward for completion; TWO dailies covers the cost of one pass of five companions (and that does not even count the drops you get). And if you happen to come across some nodes so much the better :).

If you listen to his advice you accomplish one thing only: you spend money. Even if your companion fully enjoys your company and is proficient at said skill, you're still waiting on them for 20 min or greater. A good farm spot will give you more mats in the same time, as a full crew contingent, without the credits spent. Fact and you might even make credits from mobs dropped!

As for abilities that require set points to gain mats, like artifice crystal spawns. Hit up high level planets, grab some Dailies, drive around. Send out a companion or two, just to offset your production.

If you listen to his advice you accomplish one thing only: you spend money. Even if your companion fully enjoys your company and is proficient at said skill, you're still waiting on them for 20 min or greater. A good farm spot will give you more mats in the same time, as a full crew contingent, without the credits spent. Fact and you might even make credits from mobs dropped!

As for abilities that require set points to gain mats, like artifice crystal spawns. Hit up high level planets, grab some Dailies, drive around. Send out a companion or two, just to offset your production.

That makes the assumption that gathered materials are free. I do not subscribe to that mentality. You spend time in game regardless of what you do. And just as in real life...time is money.

I spend my time making 100k credits AND getting materials; while you spend your time ONLY getting materials which you then have to sell.

Just this morning I did the Oricon daily series (including the heroic and weekly), and made 100K credits doing so. Can you say that what you gather in 30 minutes is worth 100k? Not to mention the materials I gathered while doing the dailies and that I sent my companions to get.

Edited by psandak

That makes the assumption that gathered materials are free. I do not subscribe to that mentality. You spend time in game regardless of what you do. And just as in real life...time is money.

I spend my time making 100k credits AND getting materials; while you spend your time ONLY getting materials which you then have to sell.

Just this morning I did the Oricon daily series (including the heroic and weekly), and made 100K credits doing so. Can you say that what you gather in 30 minutes is worth 100k? Not to mention the materials I gathered while doing the dailies and that I sent my companions to get.

Yes, yes I can. I don't sell mats, neither is my time spent just farming. You completely switched positions and wrote down my idea like it was yours, if you had actually read what I posted. Also my fav places to farm are usually highly populated areas. So I spend my money destroying pubs and making creds at that same time.

You have to spend money to make money, however don't dump all your credits into running crew missions.

Yes, yes I can. I don't sell mats, neither is my time spent just farming. You completely switched positions and wrote down my idea like it was yours, if you had actually read what I posted. Also my fav places to farm are usually highly populated areas. So I spend my money destroying pubs and making creds at that same time.

You have to spend money to make money, however don't dump all your credits into running crew missions.

You are right, I did not read the last paragraph, I apologize. I made the assumption you were talking about the mid-level planets for grade 3 and 4 materials like was being discussed and there are no dailies on those planets.

Edited by psandak

When I want to get out gathering stuff, für Scanvenging, anything wil destroyed droids if collector's heaven.

Sector X, for example. Which is also nort bad for Archaeology, I think (but I'm not sure yet).

For gathering, there are fww "very good" places. I'd try on Nar Shadaa, for example. It is relatively tight, no long ways to go. Same goes for Quesh (which I always call "Qesh"). CZ-198 is good as well, I think. Especially for Scavenging, it is great.

Another point I really like is the Republic starting place on Balmorra.

Huge planets like Hoth and Voss unfortunately don't give many resources for gathering instantly, since there are long ways to go from spot a to spot b. That's why I prefer relatively tight locations.

However, it is good to just "go on a ride" without any real goal, because sometimes you might find resources where you wouldn'rt expect them. Just by sheer luck. A few days ago, for example, I found a crystal (on Hoth) under the ledge of an small, almost tiny cliff. I hadn't expected it there.

If the gathering place where you've found a special crystal is located at an special place, which is easy to remember, then you could do a few notes on a sheet of paper for later reference. I usually use outstanding buildings or landscape marks as an "mental anchor".

You don't pay the fuel of the vehicle in SWTOR in-game right now, though.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

You are right, I did not read the last paragraph, I apologize. I made the assumption you were talking about the mid-level planets for grade 3 and 4 materials like was being discussed and there are no dailies on those planets.

Ghaaa stop feeding misinformation, it's as if you saw the tittle for this thread and thought to yourself; "no one is telling anyone else about my good farm spots' there all for meeeeee." Low level planets are were dailies started, on each planet you can find multiple repeatable missions. So for all grades of mats, your way, is the troll way.

Ghaaa stop feeding misinformation, it's as if you saw the tittle for this thread and thought to yourself; "no one is telling anyone else about my good farm spots' there all for meeeeee." Low level planets are were dailies started, on each planet you can find multiple repeatable missions. So for all grades of mats, your way, is the troll way.

It's not misinformation, just another approach. Both are feasible, and I kind of agree with him actually. Go back a couple of posts, he specifies a situation where you're 55 and possibly looking for specific mats (in order to craft specific things). We don't know if that's OP's intention (since I don't think he ever clarified his goals), but just as a data point, that's what I gather for. So while I know where I might be able to get, say, grade 9 scav compounds on Oricon or whatever, I don't know for sure that I'm going to find them. Running a comp mission for grade 9 scav compounds pretty much ensures I'll get a little of what I need.

And re: lower-level mats, yes, technically there are dailies on those planets too (as you pointed out) - but they don't pay anywhere near as well as 50+ dailies. Maybe the heroics, I'm not really sure. But I don't have a lot of fun as a 55 running level 30 heroics or whatever. Generally I can make better use of my time (and credits) by running 50+ dailies while sending out companions...regardless of mat level.

And re: lower-level mats, yes, technically there are dailies on those planets too (as you pointed out) - but they don't pay anywhere near as well as 50+ dailies. Maybe the heroics, I'm not really sure. But I don't have a lot of fun as a 55 running level 30 heroics or whatever. Generally I can make better use of my time (and credits) by running 50+ dailies while sending out companions...regardless of mat level.

This

Thank you

I was talking about low levels grinding mats. If you're a 55 looking for grade 1 - 4 mats then in some places you can farm easily because you one shot everything. And if you send companions it will barely cost you time or credits. IF that's what he is talking about. Now I think your both just stretching it. To fill your own agenda.

Now I think your both just stretching it. To fill your own agenda.

Believe what you want, that does not make it true.

My point is that there are far more entertaining and interesting things to do in this game with your time than farming materials. And doing those more entertaining and interesting things more than cover the costs of sending companions on missions.

Will you get more materials through farming? probably

Will you make more credits farming materials than questing? debatable, but IMO doubtful

Edited by psandak

Archaeology is the worst as far as gathering professions because nothing you kill can be tapped for Archaeology materials.

This means that you have to find nodes and I've yet to find a place where Archaeology nodes are more numerous than other nodes.

Typically areas that seem aligned towards Jedi or Sith (Jedi Temple on Coruscant, for example) will have more nodes but when you hit places like Makeb its catch as catch can since the nodes are simply scattered all about.

I honestly feel that sending my crew out on missions is a better use of time when gathering Archaeology mats than going out and trying to find node concentrations.

Agenda? Really?? What "agenda" would that be?

See highlighted below:

And all I can say is, cantstopmeh sorry you are wrong; I practice what I preach. No way to prove it though so...

Interesting conspiracy theory on the part of cantstopmeh. :rolleyes:

For me, it seems gathering mats while out in the world could be a workable option, but just not as profitable compared to other ways to make money in crafting, especially at lower levels.

When leveling a new toon, I'll usually pick Scavenging / UT, ignore gathering spots in the world and just send companions out on missions. At low-to-mid levels, the missions are REALLY short, and don't cost that much. Chanlon is particularly profitable (at least for me) as it is a high-demand item that moves quickly on the GTN, coming from missions that take just a couple of minutes to run.

At higher levels the dynamic changes a bit. Turadium sells well as most schematics require twice as much Turadium as Mythra, so it's in higher demand. 40 minute missions * 5 companions * ~5 units per mission is about 35-40 units per hour. Farming droids on Makeb would get mats faster.

However, farming open world nodes is just too dull for me. I'd rather do other stuff and let my companions do the gathering.

Edited by Khevar

Now I think your both just stretching it. To fill your own agenda.

Uh, no. I'm assuming you're under the impression that my "agenda" is keeping the super secret treasure-trove gathering spots all to myself. You're totally wrong. I don't gather anything unless it's literally right in front of me. As psandak stated, there are a thousand more interesting things to do in this game than farming mats, and I seriously can't see how the latter strategy could possibly be time and/or cost efficient anyway. Unless one knows of a completely reliable spot that nobody else is aware of. Which I don't. I don't believe such a spot even exists.

Archaeology is the worst as far as gathering professions because nothing you kill can be tapped for Archaeology materials.

This means that you have to find nodes and I've yet to find a place where Archaeology nodes are more numerous than other nodes.

Typically areas that seem aligned towards Jedi or Sith (Jedi Temple on Coruscant, for example) will have more nodes but when you hit places like Makeb its catch as catch can since the nodes are simply scattered all about.

I honestly feel that sending my crew out on missions is a better use of time when gathering Archaeology mats than going out and trying to find node concentrations.

I agree to that. Archaeology is pretty awful.

However, I've found a nice spot for farming : Nar Shadaa - the Bonus Series area. The materials there just aren't that good (Nar Shadaa level), but if you are in need of these materials, then this area is just great. :)

At higher levels the dynamic changes a bit. Turadium sells well as most schematics require twice as much Turadium as Mythra, so it's in higher demand. 40 minute missions * 5 companions * ~5 units per mission is about 35-40 units per hour. Farming droids on Makeb would get mats faster.

I'd even suggest CZ-198 for farming Mythra & Turadium. Positive point : You can do dailies there, and thus gather materials + money at the same time !

Uh, no. I'm assuming you're under the impression that my "agenda" is keeping the super secret treasure-trove gathering spots all to myself. You're totally wrong. I don't gather anything unless it's literally right in front of me. As psandak stated, there are a thousand more interesting things to do in this game than farming mats, and I seriously can't see how the latter strategy could possibly be time and/or cost efficient anyway. Unless one knows of a completely reliable spot that nobody else is aware of. Which I don't. I don't believe such a spot even exists.

I believe that everyone has his / her personal spots / planets for farming.

Me, I'm only farming when I'm in need of something, or when I see it.

But then, I do it.

Apart from that, I'm rather a "story player". I enjoy stories most of everything.

But, well, sometimes I'm just in need of something, for example for crafring armor I want one of my alts to wear. Or colouring modules.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer