Not to be difficult, but I actually like the player housing.

Tsillah

So I've seen the plethora of threads about how much people hate housing or how unnecessary it is and a waste of time, but I can't help it....I actually like the player housing.

In fact I haven't even opened Tatooine because there's so much to do already in the other 3 that I just had to stick to those to begin with.

Now I am aware there are limitations and not everything is perfectly as I would prefer it, but I see the limitations as a challenge to get things right for me in spite of those placing limitations.

So yeh, sorry but I'm pretty happy with this feature and the fact that I can't get it all right away but will take time to really put together right is a good thing to me.

I'm pretty happy with it too - only a few minor grips that I would hope they would eventually fix, but nothing that can't be resolved by me deciding to have a Nar Shadda spot for my Rep "headquarters" and a Tatt spot for my "Imperial" headquarters (once I get the money together.)

I agree. The quick travel (both directions) and utility items make the stronghold the best quest hub in the game.

This. Exactly this.

Besides, instanced housing in general is always a bit of a letdown, but how else would you have it? Open, non-instanced housing is a can of worms in its own right...

I agree. The quick travel (both directions) and utility items make the stronghold the best quest hub in the game.

Do you really need all of these clunky and useless housing things to do this?

It can easily replaced by the new legacy options... :rolleyes:

Edited by Glower

Do you really need all of these clunky and useless housing things to do this? It can easily replaced by the new legacy options... :rolleyes:

The field deployables are limited to mail and repairs (no bank, guild bank, legacy bank, GTN, etc.). Even if you only want bank and mail, it's as quick or quicker to pop back and forth with the quick travel.

Also, unlike the ship, the stronghold quick travel goes both ways (taking you back to the exact spot you came from), and it has no cooldown. And you can put all the utility items right next to each other and anywhere you want, so no running from room to room. The ship also doesn't have a legacy storage hold available that I know of (though it arguably ought to).

For just lounging around, the Stronghold also is nicer than the ship because you have a lag free zone with everything you could need (other than commendation and reputation vendors), and you still have access to the planet wide general chat, rather than just the weird twilight zone chat on the ship.

I don't even care that much about the decorating and conquest stuff, but the convenience features and bi-directional QT to a rest zone accessible instantly from anywhere in the game are enough to justify the housing system all on their own for me. It really is just that nice.

For what it's worth, it also is fun visiting other peoples' places to see what they did with them. Some just look like the owner set off a pets+mounts party bomb to get the full bonus, but I also have seen some really neat layouts.

Edited by Heezdedjim

Other than allowing us to deposit credits into the Legacy Vault, GSH gave me everything I wanted and more than I expected.

I confess to having wasted much too much time last night sorting out decoration combinations for four houses (free Nar Shaddaa Sky Palace, two cheap Capital World apartments, and the Tatooine pueblo). On three servers no less (only got the Tat house on my main server). I plan to move slowly with decorating. I ended up using most of the free decorations in the NS Palace, since that would act as my central hub. By the time I set up my Palace on the third server, I had it down pretty well (and plan to go back to my main server tonight and undo the monstrosity of décor I created yesterday). The apartments are pretty barren, save for some basic utilities. I need to tweak some positioning of items at the Tatooine ranch, but like it overall.

I mostly just expected/wanted Legacy Storage out of this update. The free furniture vendor was a nice touch, and they gave us much more free stuff than I thought they would (in LOTRO, all we got when we bought a house was a chair and a tree). The Utility Bundle that lets me add a GTN network, personal vault, Item Modification Station, and Appearance Customizer was gravy to me. I now have a very convenient HQ for my cadre of alts.

As someone mentioned, a Universal Commendations Vendor would be nice to add in the future. And a Universal Crew Skill Trainer/Vendor would keep my alts from ever leaving home.

Overall, I consider GSH a win for BW.

I'm lazy, so the only thing I've done with housing so far is:

1. Get the free Nar Shaddaa one.

2. Put a Mailbox, Cargo Hold, Legacy Storage and GTN right where you "zone in"

No decorating at all. But the convenience of having all 4 of these things right next to each other has been nice.

I think all my crafting toons are going to get fat, as they no longer have to run up and down stairs to go from the mailbox to the ship GTN. :D

Heh. I have to admit... I'm addicted to it. Lol.

I don't do much with sandbox elements usually in MMOs. I do a few things that are necessary, but I rarely put off PvE or PvP content for it. In this case, I have spent a lot of time on it already. Between our Capital Ship and my own personal stronghold (our guild decided not to have a strong hold for the moment since the ship fits that need) I spent my usual Ops night running around decorating what I could. Although, I'm also taking my time making sure the rooms look the way the should.

The really cool thing for me is I finally have everything I need for my crafting and GTN work all in one room. Legacy storage, regular storage, the guild bank, GTN, Mail, and an item modification station are all with in feet of each other. Threw up some trophies on the walls and a couch, and I'm home.

My only complaint is that I would rather see fleet chat in my home then planet chat. This is not an issue on the Capital Ship however. Also... I wish my companions did something other than stand there. It would be nice if they had some pathing or movement options.

Edited by Rafaman

I haven't encountered anyone outside the forum who has expressed any dissatisfaction at all. Everyone I know loves it. Yeah,some would like to be able to rotate layouts or move them slightly, but that's being stated in a very minor way, as in not that big a deal. Not a soul in any of my guilds has mentioned serious issues.

I'm having a blast, myself, lol.

Edited by errant_knight

I haven't encountered anyone outside the forum who has expressed any dissatisfaction at all. Everyone I know loves it. Yeah,some would like to be able to rotate layouts or move them slightly, but that's being stated in a very minor way, as in not that big a deal. Not a soul in any of my guilds has mentioned serious issues.

My guildies are certainly liking it. This includes players that had no intention of using it or spending much time working on their stronghold.

Kudos BW. Strongholds is a good addition.

Edited by Rafaman

My guildies are certainly liking it. This includes players that had no intention of using it or spending much time working on their stronghold. Kudos BW. Strongholds is a good addition.

That's the thing that tells me it's a success; even the people who didn't care about and don't even like "housing" features really like it once they play around with it.

I am really enjoying the housing, myself. Yes, more interactivity would be nice. And yes, little things here and there I'd love to see tweaked, but by and large, I am really enjoying it. And I second the comments on just having the chance to group a lot of services together in one spot makes me VERY happy. :)

I mean, it is tricky sometimes because of the restrictions of what you can put where and the fact that you can't park a ship in the homeworld houses, but aside from that I am really having fun with it. Not to mention being able to do things like EV and FPs again with a goal in mind.

For me it's pretty much refreshed the game and I think with 3.0 coming it should make the game pretty solid again. It took a while to get here, but for me this is working out.

Let's not talk about Makeb though ;)

1. most houses int current top of the best are scrapyards only for bonuses. No competition in best looking stronghold.

2. not enough interactive things to spend time with even super rare juke boxes (bought ~15 crates but no hope). What can you do alone or with group of people there that you cant do all over the planets?

3. gathering? with 4 hours cd its like a bad joke.

They could just add legacy bank to ship and same fast trevel method and most of players would avoid strongholds.

Edited by APCrol

Despite the fact I am really enjoying it, I find that odd because the boo-birds were out in force on fleet at my server. A very vocal minority to be sure but I suppose in many ways that is to be expected with everything. People are just like that, much like single issue voters/partisans in the political arena. Unless you address their specific pet complaint, you're screwing them over.

I can appreciate the fact that not everyone is into the same things.but I don't rant and rave over the time/development budget that went into Galactic Starfighter (something I personally have only done 2 or 3 times) .

On a personal level, I think, despite the fact I am currently patching in fixes, it is all going amazingly well. My only complaints are either things I expect to improve over time (variety of many classes of decorations) and people issues, specifically my guild. All smooth sailing thus far. having fun.

Important note: If you have the Tatooine SH and put stuff down in an area and decide to pick it all up, be careful. I picked up all in the courtyard out side and instantly had EVERYTHING removed.

So I've seen the plethora of threads about how much people hate housing or how unnecessary it is and a waste of time, but I can't help it....I actually like the player housing.

In fact I haven't even opened Tatooine because there's so much to do already in the other 3 that I just had to stick to those to begin with.

Now I am aware there are limitations and not everything is perfectly as I would prefer it, but I see the limitations as a challenge to get things right for me in spite of those placing limitations.

So yeh, sorry but I'm pretty happy with this feature and the fact that I can't get it all right away but will take time to really put together right is a good thing to me.

I'm having fun too, but there is something broken for me:

1 - People get a very high rank spending lot of credits and just placing stuff. I have see a 68k rank with just beds, tables and so on placed in madness way, just putting there stuff to be at the top. Need to be a heavy cut if you place more than X object of the same type and another one if you just put one object of everything you have just to rise up.

2 - When you log off and back in then return to the fleet you spawn in the departures of the fleet... pretty noisy.

3 - Too many stuff on the CM for the decoration, the utility pack is like a must for everyone, there are too much "normal stuff" like beds, tables and so on, that are in the CM and to few in the vendors. Example would me much better to buy all Voss - like stuff at the reputation vendor, mixed with credits and tokens

4 - I would like to have (paying cc, don't care) something like collection where I can redeem a stuff as many as I like.

Bad they don't have designed this things

1. most houses int current top of the best are scrapyards only for bonuses. No competition in best looking stronghold.

This is the part I do agree with. The ranking system is completely pointless.

2. not enough interactive things to spend time with even super rare juke boxes (bought ~15 crates but no hope). What can you do alone or with group of people there that you cant do all over the planets?

Well, you may be wanting stuff to do in there, whereas others might consider building up the place something to do. Like it or not, too many interactive items seem to be a problem for performance. Not excited about that limitation but it is what it is at the same time.

3. gathering? with 4 hours cd its like a bad joke.

Not sure what you mean here. What is this 4hr cooldown on gathering you speak of?

They could just add legacy bank to ship and same fast trevel method and most of players would avoid strongholds.

I would not consider your own experiences as a template for the rest of the players. You have no idea if people would avoid strongholds then because it's more than just that and even though I am sure there are quite a few people who don't like this housing, I am also pretty sure there are a lot who do like it.

I'm adoring it as well. Got my Coruscant Stronghold to 100% (albeit with only about 14k prestige, which is a good 20k less then some of the 'dump' SHs), and I've subsequently spent more time in there over the last two days then anywhere else. I went to the effort to make my SH aesthetically pleasing, and as a result it';s actually an enjoyable place to be in - functional, yes, especially in regards to stuff like the GTN right next to my cargo storage and mailbox etc, but sometimes it's nice to just wander around inside, or chat with mates, or even just sit outside and look at the ships flying by. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of decorations will come out in future, as well - the stuff so far has been nice, and the range of items at release is pretty impressive, so it'll be good to see what kidn of options we'll get moving forward.

Crafting seems to have been given a nice injection of activity as a result as well, which is always good to see.

I'm lazy, so the only thing I've done with housing so far is:

1. Get the free Nar Shaddaa one.

2. Put a Mailbox, Cargo Hold, Legacy Storage and GTN right where you "zone in"

No decorating at all. But the convenience of having all 4 of these things right next to each other has been nice.

I think all my crafting toons are going to get fat, as they no longer have to run up and down stairs to go from the mailbox to the ship GTN. :D

Same, but as the home world ones were only 5000 I got them too. Done nothing with the home world ones except put the mail box and legacy storage in as those were free.

The Guild one is also cheep enough to buy, so will most likely get it while its cheep, Your right, having all the things listed in your post is useful so might get just those for the ones I have. I do tend to buy cartel packs and have had a few of the new ones with decorations in, as of yet have not used any and wanted to think it over for a few days before selling them -. if I do use any it will be for the guild one if I do get it. Which I probably will.

Strongholds don't really interest me but as said in other treads am thankful for the legacy bank.. I have brought the extra storage bays off cartel rather than pay the in-game credits. Also worth noting that if you buy the extra storage bays it unlocks account wide and not just for one severs legacy. Might be the same if you craft them but can only confirm the CC ones.

Edited by DreadtechSavant

Not sure what you mean here. What is this 4hr cooldown on gathering you speak of?

There are decorations for gathering skills wich allows you and your friends to gather resources but they have 4 hours cd (this thing is also implemented in wildstar housing). It must be comparable to gathering on planets or this thing is useless.

Housing has been a blast so far. I don't have much more to say than that. Yes, most of it is just fluff and set pieces but its FUN. And that's why I play video games.

I highly expect Bioware to add more interactive items in the future. Let's be real here. This is the beginning of housing, not the end.