Yoda's race should have a name

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Yoda species should remain un-named. Some things should remain mysterious.

...and yet, they go so far as to make up an microscopic organism resides inside all lifeforms, as a pseudo-scientific explanation for how one "feels" and "wields" the Force....:rolleyes:

Yes, because it's basic logic, we never really met things like black hole or anti matter but we still name it.

We name things like Black Holes and Antimatter because they affect things, Yoda's race has only five known members, so they are not affecting things as a race (as opposed to affecting things as individuals).

Besides, if it really bothers you I will create a name for the species, hence forth the name of Yoda's species is Bob.

Nah, we don't need a name, leave Yoda mysterious.

Not to say that an exploration of his species would be interesting... in the form of scrolls, ancient carvings, ruins etc. not like little Ewok communities. I like to think that the Yoda-species is near extinction and only a few remain who wander the galaxy as wise men and sages. :D

We also have to remember that if we came across an ancient sentient race we would have no right to give them a name of our own if they refused to present one. Especially if their were only a couple, I doubt they would take kindly to such a display of arrogance and egotism.

Likewise in the Star Wars universe nobody has attempted to name the scarcely known and numbered Yoda-species are instead content to refer to the few they come across by their personal names.

Edited by Beniboybling

We also have to remember that if we came across an ancient sentient race we would have no right to give them a name of our own if they refused to present one. Especially if their were only a couple, I doubt they would take kindly to such a display of arrogance and egotism.

Got to disagree here, if we came across a race who we didn't have a name for, we would be in our rights to give it a name. If that race then told us it's name, we would be obligated to use that name. This is not egotism, it's categorisation, which is one of the building blocks of learning.

While I'm quite happy to leave Yoda's race unnamed it's far from me (or anybody else either for that matter) to say that nobody can attribute a name to it.

PS. George Lucas no longer has the right to object to anybody naming Yoda's species since he sold the rights, although I'm sure he left legal codiciles preventing Disney from giving it a name.

We name things like Black Holes and Antimatter because they affect things, Yoda's race has only five known members, so they are not affecting things as a race (as opposed to affecting things as individuals).

Besides, if it really bothers you I will create a name for the species, hence forth the name of Yoda's species is Bob.

Black Hole doesn't affect anything of humans. It's far far away from us.

5 members are enough to name one thing, even 1 example is enough to name a race.

5 members are enough to name one thing, even 1 example is enough to name a race.

I think we need to remember how rare Yoda's species actually is and because of that 99% of the galaxy have probably never seen or heard of one and 99% of the time Yoda's species have not been present in the galaxy. In addition to this all known members of Yoda's species have been members of the Jedi Order, an inclusive and at times reclusive religious sect of whom are the subject of myth among many planets.

Because of these reasons, the opportunity to study or catalog such a rare species is nigh impossible. Scientists can't exactly get hold of Yoda and perform studies or dissections on him, there are no planets that can be visited or settlements that can be observed. All they've have to go on is a few sightings and holo-recordings and general folklore of impressive feats. Hardly substantial scientific evidence required to name a species. Imagine if we see a blurry dot through a telescope in the far reaches of space... do you think we would get together and give it a formal name? No, we wouldn't, and this is practically the equivalent. Except the dot disappears every now and then and at time goes on forgotten.

Its possible that attempts to name Yoda's species have been undertaken, but if that's the case they likely never caught on. After all its difficult to get the entire galaxy's scientific circles to accept the name of a species that they may never have seen, heard of or even acknowledge exist.

Also, given the fact that the Star Wars galaxy contains 20 million sentient species its likely that different cultures that have come across the elusive species have given it different names or even confused them for different species. (Note that this is something that wouldn't happen in our reality, as we have yet to come into contact with any other sentient life.) And because Yoda's species isn't large enough or 'constant' enough - in the sense that in some periods there are likely been no record of them - the galaxy's civilizations are not going to come together to establish a universal name.

So because of that, the race goes unnamed. Sure a scientific circle could give it one. But whose to say other circles will accept it, how can it become adoptable by all if some don't even recognised its existence? Or if in a couple of years the only known members of its species suddenly disappears? (I draw your attention to Order 66.)

In-universe, its practically impossible to enforce a universal name for Yoda's species. I expect there are numerous names for his kind that have been adopted by numerous civilizations and sects, but it would seem none have stuck.

P.S. Black holes do affect humans, they affect the way we perceive and understand gravity and the universe as a whole - that cannot be ignored or forgotten.

I think we need to remember how rare Yoda's species actually is and because of that 99% of the galaxy have probably never seen or heard of one and 99% of the time Yoda's species have not been present in the galaxy. In addition to this all known members of Yoda's species have been members of the Jedi Order, an inclusive and at times reclusive religious sect of whom are the subject of myth among many planets.

Because of these reasons, the opportunity to study or catalog such a rare species is nigh impossible. Scientists can't exactly get hold of Yoda and perform studies or dissections on him, there are no planets that can be visited or settlements that can be observed. All they've have to go on is a few sightings and holo-recordings and general folklore of impressive feats. Hardly substantial scientific evidence required to name a species. Imagine if we see a blurry dot through a telescope in the far reaches of space... do you think we would get together and give it a formal name? No, we wouldn't, and this is practically the equivalent. Except the dot disappears every now and then and at time goes on forgotten.

Its possible that attempts to name Yoda's species have been undertaken, but if that's the case they likely never caught on. After all its difficult to get the entire galaxy's scientific circles to accept the name of a species that they may never have seen, heard of or even acknowledge exist.

Also, given the fact that the Star Wars galaxy contains 20 million sentient species its likely that different cultures that have come across the elusive species have given it different names or even confused them for different species. (Note that this is something that wouldn't happen in our reality, as we have yet to come into contact with any other sentient life.) And because Yoda's species isn't large enough or 'constant' enough - in the sense that in some periods there are likely been no record of them - the galaxy's civilizations are not going to come together to establish a universal name.

So because of that, the race goes unnamed. Sure a scientific circle could give it one. But whose to say other circles will accept it, how can it become adoptable by all if some don't even recognised its existence? Or if in a couple of years the only known members of its species suddenly disappears? (I draw your attention to Order 66.)

In-universe, its practically impossible to enforce a universal name for Yoda's species. I expect there are numerous names for his kind that have been adopted by numerous civilizations and sects, but it would seem none have stuck.

P.S. Black holes do affect humans, they affect the way we perceive and understand gravity and the universe as a whole - that cannot be ignored or forgotten.

No, most of them are famous Jedi masters, Vandar was a important member. Oteg was second in command of Satele Shan and a fleet admiral. The Jedi are not some sects, but a very powerful army before Ruusan Reformation. Yoda is the Grand Master for hundreds of years. These are public faces of the Republic, the Republic citizens knew them well. There are far many more mysterious things in SW universe, but they still have name. Such as the Celestials, the Force Demon and the Ones. Especially the Force Demon was known very very little but they still have a name. There surely are far many more people know Yoda's race rather than these creatures. So basically your argument fails.

Imagine if we have several big important faces, who played important roles in many wars, surely we would give them a name.

No, most of them are famous Jedi masters, Vandar was a important member. Oteg was second in command of Satele Shan and a fleet admiral. The Jedi are not some sects, but a very powerful army before Ruusan Reformation. Yoda is the Grand Master for hundreds of years. These are public faces of the Republic, the Republic citizens knew them well. There are far many more mysterious things in SW universe, but they still have name. Such as the Celestials, the Force Demon and the Ones. Especially the Force Demon was known very very little but they still have a name. There surely are far many more people know Yoda's race rather than these creatures. So basically your argument fails.

Imagine if we have several big important faces, who played important roles in many wars, surely we would give them a name.

I didn't expect you to agree with me. But I will point out that even the Grand Master of the Jedi Order is hardly known. And why should he be? He is not a public face, he's the leader of a religious and meditative group - Yoda has never been on the HoloNet, Yoda's face isn't plastered on propaganda posters.

We have to remember that while the Jedi may seem the central focus on the movies, outside political and military circles they are relatively unknown and unfamiliar. Likewise I doubt the general public is familiar with many other Yoda-species members of the Order, or military commanders full stop. Similarly, I doubt during the First and Second World Wars the general populace were familiar with anyone other than the top brass i.e. the politicians.

We also have to remember that these figures are not completely nameless, they have their personal names.

P.S. The One's named themselves and the Celestials were named by species whom once coexisted with them, when they were prominent and more 'observable' shall we say,

I didn't expect you to agree with me. But I will point out that even the Grand Master of the Jedi Order is hardly known. And why should he be? He is not a public face, he's the leader of a religious and meditative group - Yoda has never been on the HoloNet, Yoda's face isn't plastered on propaganda posters.

We have to remember that while the Jedi may seem the central focus on the movies, outside political and military circles they are relatively unknown and unfamiliar. Likewise I doubt the general public is familiar with many other Yoda-species members of the Order, or military commanders full stop. Similarly, I doubt during the First and Second World Wars the general populace were familiar with anyone other than the top brass i.e. the politicians.

We also have to remember that these figures are not completely nameless, they have their personal names.

P.S. The One's named themselves and the Celestials were named by species whom once coexisted with them, when they were prominent and more 'observable' shall we say,

No, he is a high rank general of the Republic, a great leader of a military group, just like Anakin and Obi Wan were well known by the people of the Republic like EP III novel mentioned, they don't hide away, they command the troops and fight. Also the technology is much more developed compare to WW I and WW II.

And Yoda's race don't have a name for themselves? There are many races coexisted with Yoda's race, the Force Demon got even less information.

No, he is a high rank general of the Republic, a great leader of a military group, just like Anakin and Obi Wan were well known by the people of the Republic like EP III novel mentioned, they don't hide away, they command the troops and fight. Also the technology is much more developed compare to WW I and WW II.

And Yoda's race don't have a name for themselves? There are many races coexisted with Yoda's race, the Force Demon got even less information.

Now we're delving into the realm of assumptions here, we don't know if Yoda was well known by the populace. As a Jedi, one who does not seek glory or recognition and instead favoring humility and modesty, we would assume not.

Again, they may be on the front-lines, but the battle isn't taking place at Coruscant. Yoda may be well known amongst Separatist leaders and programmed into the heads of battle droids, but this does not mean he is plastered across the HoloNet. I doubt Yoda would want to be, so I assume he isn't.

Then we have to consider that while Yoda may be the Grand Master of the Jedi Order, Oteg is fleet admiral, and even less likely to be well known. Minch was just a Jedi Knight and Tokare a master during a time when the Jedi kept away from the conflict, and faded into darkness with the onset of the Jedi Civil War. And Yaddle was just another member of the Jedi Council, during a time of peace.

Yoda is by far the most famous of the five, and yet even he is never noted to be well known.

Regardless, just because someone is 'famous' does not mean they are able to be studied and categorized. And a three year period of war is not enough to get the scientists busy. Many species have coexisted with Yoda's species, but unlike the Celestials and other races they have not taken a dominating role in galactic affairs in a widespread and overreaching way.

Now we're delving into the realm of assumptions here, we don't know if Yoda was well known by the populace. As a Jedi, one who does not seek glory or recognition and instead favoring humility and modesty, we would assume not.

Yoda has to be well known because as the general of the Republic, the others have to know him to avoid misunderstanding.

Again, they may be on the front-lines, but the battle isn't taking place at Coruscant. Yoda may be well known amongst Separatist leaders and programmed into the heads of battle droids, but this does not mean he is plastered across the HoloNet. I doubt Yoda would want to be, so I assume he isn't.

It did take place on Coruscant in that siege, and the opening war's Jedi troops were lead by Yoda, this is big news.

Then we have to consider that while Yoda may be the Grand Master of the Jedi Order, Oteg is fleet admiral, and even less likely to be well known. Minch was just a Jedi Knight and Tokare a master during a time when the Jedi kept away from the conflict, and faded into darkness with the onset of the Jedi Civil War. And Yaddle was just another member of the Jedi Council, during a time of peace.

Yoda is by far the most famous of the five, and yet even he is never noted to be well known.

Oteg is 2nd in command of the Jedi Order, when Satele has to meditate he would take the mantle.

Regardless, just because someone is 'famous' does not mean they are able to be studied and categorized. And a three year period of war is not enough to get the scientists busy. Many species have coexisted with Yoda's species, but unlike the Celestials and other races they have not taken a dominating role in galactic affairs in a widespread and overreaching way.

No scientists could find the Celestial, the Ones, the Force Demon but they still have name.

Edited by Slowpokeking

Black Holes affect stars, and we have seen this in action via telescopes, also there is a HUGE blackhole at the centre of our galaxy, which appears to be keeping the galaxy clumped together.

I do agree that you only need one of something to ascribe it a racial name, but at the same time would anybody apart from ExoZoologists know that name. (yes, sentient alien species fall under ExoZoology, no, I'm not mistaken)

No scientists could find the Celestial, the Ones, the Force Demon but they still have name.
Like I said the Celestials were known and named by ancient races such as the Gree and the Kiliks, these species coexisted with the Celestials who were a dominant and prominent species. So scientists actually could 'find' them. We can presume that this name has been passed down through the ages so that sentient species of 'today' are aware of it. The Ones as I have already explained, named themselves and gave that name to others such as the Nightsisters and the Force demons for lack of information cannot be commented on.

We also have to remember that the Celestials left behind many ancient artifacts that can be studied and analysed. This is essentially it, if something can't be studied and analysed it cannot be formally named therefore Yoda's species cannot be formally named and will remain unnamed until someone comes across a Yoda village or get's hold of Yoda's body.

Edited by Beniboybling

I feel like if we find out a name after not knowing for so long it just wouldn't feel right to have it there. This is just like if we ever found out the name of the doctor.
Hmmm, too right. Things like that always work better if left to the imagination.