Swtor Story progression: Way too much, too fast?

Skurkanas

So part reason why I quit "you know what" years ago was the fact that Blizzard pretty much intended to kill the Warcraft Universe (or better yet, Raid and farm it to death).

They have done so since, and also spat on the dead body a few times if you get my meaning.

Anyway, here comes swtor: I was pretty certain that of all people, Bioware would be the least likely to repeat said mistake. I expected the release part of the story to lead my character through some sort of meaningful progression, while still keeping a healthy distance to the actual key players of the kotor universe.

Maybe a highly decorated war veteran or a revered Jedi Master / Sith Lord.

Something that says "you accomplished a great deal" but also hints at way more thats yet to come.

However, what do we get?

We roflstomp Revan in a late 30ies encounter, by the time you hit 50, some should be able to solo him.

I'm not going into the whole fanboy-thing here, It's just about the order of magnitude.

We were told over the course of multiple games and stories that Revan was immensely powerful, nigh immortal.

So if we tank & spank him at lvl thirtiesome...where does that leave us?

And finally, at 50, we zerg Malgus - the most iconic figure in the Empire for many.

This is less about our power, than about killing off one of the main characters of the story long before it had any chance to actually take off. Sure, there might be some cheesy retcon somewhere in the future, but it's bad writing nonetheless

As for class quests;

Basically, we surpass our old masters somewhere around lvl 30.

I can only comment on the Imperial Agent, for thats the only one I've played so far, but at the End of Chapter 2 you fight and defeat someone "second in power only to the Emperor". As some cheesy, sneaky Agent with a Blaster and a Knife.

And from what I gathered, the Jedi Knight even defeats the old man himself.

Im sure you can all recount similar things from your respective class stories.

So at this point, about any lvl 50 can rightfully claim to be at the top of his respective food chain, storywise.

I won't lie, the ride felt good - but I honestly expected it to last far, far longer.

Because if that's where we are now - where will the story go from here?

I struggle to see any way to give us an even bigger sense of progression, without spiralling out of proportion entirely.

After all we've killed and all we've done already - what's left?

Yep.

As a Sith Warrior

you kill a member of Dark Council at the end of the 2 Chapter. And he is weaker then his Elite servants)

Edited by Gelious

This is actually, my only worry right now... all class stories end into some kind of super great Victory.. how to GO ON from there. What will the next Addon bring, where the story of our Chars gets spun onward, that adds to where the chars are now, in effect Great Heroes of the Galaxy.

So part reason why I quit "you know what" years ago was the fact that Blizzard pretty much intended to kill the Warcraft Universe (or better yet, Raid and farm it to death).

They have done so since, and also spat on the dead body a few times if you get my meaning.

Anyway, here comes swtor: I was pretty certain that of all people, Bioware would be the least likely to repeat said mistake. I expected the release part of the story to lead my character through some sort of meaningful progression, while still keeping a healthy distance to the actual key players of the kotor universe.

Maybe a highly decorated war veteran or a revered Jedi Master / Sith Lord.

Something that says "you accomplished a great deal" but also hints at way more thats yet to come.

However, what do we get?

We roflstomp Revan in a late 30ies encounter, by the time you hit 50, some should be able to solo him.

I'm not going into the whole fanboy-thing here, It's just about the order of magnitude.

We were told over the course of multiple games and stories that Revan was immensely powerful, nigh immortal.

So if we tank & spank him at lvl thirtiesome...where does that leave us?

And finally, at 50, we zerg Malgus - the most iconic figure in the Empire for many.

This is less about our power, than about killing off one of the main characters of the story long before it had any chance to actually take off. Sure, there might be some cheesy retcon somewhere in the future, but it's bad writing nonetheless

As for class quests;

Basically, we surpass our old masters somewhere around lvl 30.

I can only comment on the Imperial Agent, for thats the only one I've played so far, but at the End of Chapter 2 you fight and defeat someone "second in power only to the Emperor". As some cheesy, sneaky Agent with a Blaster and a Knife.

And from what I gathered, the Jedi Knight even defeats the old man himself.

So at this point, about any lvl 50 can rightfully claim to be at the top of his respective food chain, storywise.

I won't lie, the ride felt good - but I honestly expected it to last far, far longer.

Because if that's where we are now - where will the story go from here?

I struggle to see any way to give us an even bigger sense of progression, without spiralling out of proportion entirely.

After all we've killed and all we've done already - what's left?

Whats left?

The Emperor for starters as that has barely been touched upon other than that the Emperor is missing.

But beyond that there is plenty of opputunities. Remember by the end of your class story the war is only just starting again. The attack on Corelia near max is kinda the last spark that starts it all, up till then it has just been skirmishes and single standing events which though off course important are not full blown battles in most cases.

I have actually noticed that most of the important people I fough in my class story were veterans of the last war, not rising hotshots or something like that. The people I killed were formidable yes, but they were of the old generation, our characters are new generation and new heroes and villians will rise for a new war.

Think about it a little like the Prequels to the Originals actually. Obi-Wan and Yoda were heroes of the Clone Wars, but by the time the Rebelion reaches its full strength their purpose is no longer too fight, but guide the next generation (Luke) on his steps towards becoming a hero.

In many ways one has allready done so as (Heavy Bounty Hunter spoilers her, read at own risk)

during the end of the Bounty Hunter class quest the Supreme Chancelor is either killed or steps back and the new supreme chancelor from the short description I was given is much more hostile towards the Empire unlike the peace seeking last surpeme chancelor

Another thing about this whole nonsense is. I have story wise a fleet, at least one capital ship with a super weapon that can wipe out entire fleets with one shot.

So, wheres that stuff? Why do i still have to fly around in my little dingy of a ship? Run errands for lowlifes to be able to afford a taxi ride?

Another thing about this whole nonsense is. I have story wise a fleet, at least one capital ship with a super weapon that can wipe out entire fleets with one shot.

So, wheres that stuff? Why do i still have to fly around in my little dingy of a ship? Run errands for lowlifes to be able to afford a taxi ride?

Because flying your entire fleet around the galaxy would most likely draw then attention of the enemy and they would try to take it out?

Because flying your entire fleet around the galaxy would most likely draw then attention of the enemy and they would try to take it out?

If his talking about the Smuggler ending then he owns the largest fleet in the galaxy...The empire/republic(Depending on the ending) wouldnt dare to try destroy any ship

If his talking about the ........ ending then he owns the largest fleet in the galaxy...The empire/republic(Depending on the ending) wouldnt dare to try destroy any ship

Put a spoiler tag on that would you, Idali was at least unspecefic about what class it was.

Edited by Triforcedragon