Bioware, how about Subscriber servers with no Cash Shop?

DKNS

Sites like mmorpg.com will always hate, no matter what.

Or did they in fact mention anything positive about the TaunTaun-mount being ONLY available through in-game means and not being able to be purchased off the cartel market?

Shouldn't such a move have brought a lot of positive feedback? If not, then why take the critics seriously?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is just the biggest fail of the week. WHO CARES ABOUT A TWENTY DOLLAR DYE. If you dont want to spend the money on it dont. You can also buy it on the GTN. There is nothing in the store that makes players better and the companion really isnt much. I do fine with the free companions. So many of the mmo sites are just bs paid to shill for guild wars 2 all day and complain about everything else. They have no credibility.

mmorpg.com is a guild wars 2 fansite, not a legit news outlet.

Edited by AlexThomasG

Gameplay > Fluff

At least as far as I'm concerned. Also, said dye can be bought on the GTN... It requires a sizable amount of credits but it's there if you don't want to spend REAL money.

That's the one good thing BW have done that they have allowed the market items to be sold on GTN. But honestly, would you not be more happy if all the dyes could actually be crafted by Artificers instead of real money? Be honest here. Dyes are a very important cosmetic.

Also, if anyone doubts how much i like this game, then here is my profile on mmorpg.com

http://www.mmorpg.com/profile.cfm?username=skyline385

I have defended this game for days there before finally giving it up on the idiots there (ignore the first post you see, it was sarcasm which got me banned for "trolling"). I love this game and only wish the best for it.

Edited by DKNS

Allods Online did it recently so why not here too?

Many (and i mean a lot of) people are turned off by the cash shop to the extent that they do not even try the game or just leave it. So why not create a few Subscription servers where everything can be purchased in-game? A huge part of the MMO community wants a cash shop free game so creating these servers will most likely attract a good number of players while also calming the existing players who are tired of the cash shop.

I think this would really help the stabilise the game as well as it's reputation in the MMO community which is currently extremely bad due to the extremely restrictive F2P offered by Bioware. We know Bioware has said that it's more like a demo but the they themselves officially called it F2P. A F2P server will also properly act as a Demo server while the rest of the people can enjoy the game as it was meant to be played on the Sub servers. An important thing here would be to allow all current subscribers an option to freely transfer to the Sub server, otherwise the sub server won't work.

If Bioware is worried about the money which it may lose from the current subs who still buy stuff from Cartel shop, then they can charge for the expansions on the sub server instead of it giving it free. I know i would be more than happy to spend on an expansion instead of the Cartel market.

What does the rest of the community feel about this? Please comment below and also vote on the poll i created to see it statistically :)

http://flisti.com/58204

I don't understand how the cash shop affects you?

I'm a sub who occasionally buys coins and I understand the benefits of being RICH can make you SOME credits in-game via GTN unlocks, but it's definitely not P2W, as in you can't buy the latest 299 rating gear and the characters won't play for you if you have 500,000 coins.

I don't understand how the cash shop affects you?

I'm a sub who occasionally buys coins and I understand the benefits of being RICH can make you SOME credits in-game via GTN unlocks, but it's definitely not P2W, as in you can't buy the latest 299 rating gear and the characters won't play for you if you have 500,000 coins.

Sigh,

I never said it's P2W, did i?

The cash shop along with the ridiculously limited F2P (even though BW have themselves said it's more like a demo) is giving the game quite a bad name outside the SWTOR community.

Edited by DKNS

The cash shop along with the ridiculously limited F2P (even though BW have themselves said it's more like a demo) is giving the game quite a bad name outside the SWTOR community.

I wonder why SWTOR is scolded all the time for "ridiculously limited F2P" when a F2P player can play all storylines up to lvl 50 and even raid (with the pass bought for credits). A one time purchase of Makeb is enough to get to 55 and then they can raid with subscribers and the subscribers wouldn't even notice that the person is not also subscriber.

If a player is unwilling to spend any money at all, they forfeit any right to complain. I am so absolutely sick of the mentality of "gimme evvything, but cost me nuthin! and if that evvything is in any way limited, I am so gonna rage!!".

Edited by JPryde

I wonder why SWTOR is scolded all the time for "ridiculously limited F2P" when a F2P player can play all storylines up to lvl 50 and even raid (with the pass bought for credits). A one time purchase of Makeb is enough to get to 55 and then they can raid with subscribers and the subscribers wouldn't even notice that the person is not also subscriber.

If a player is unwilling to spend any money at all, they forfeit any right to complain. I am so absolutely sick of the mentality of "gimme evvything, but cost me nuthin! and if that evvything is in any way limited, I am so gonna rage!!".

It's obviously because of the competition, isn't it? When games like Rift and Tera provide such excellent models, of course people will complain. And i know that the F2P model will depend on the developer. But people will complain nonetheless when there are such excellent models.

And i hope you realise that the fact that i am posting here means i am a sub. I am just putting out some ideas to help increase the game's population and it's life.

It's obviously because of the competition, isn't it?

Of course it is... Now could you please show me, where I can access the fully voiced storylines in Rift and Tera? Oh, they do not have any? What, I cannot even get them, if I am a subcriber? Okay... Why is SWTOR scolded again for giving more for free than those other games?

Why does the cash shop matter to you though? It's all cosmetic and flavour items, theres nothing in there that gives anyone an advantage over anyone else gameplay wise and if you really want to only spend credits you can buy it from the GTN.

There is literally no problem with the Cartel Market.

I am a sub and I spend money on the CM as well. Why? Because I like this game and as long as I can afford it I support it this way.

They have done a good job at the CM. It's not too intrusive and it's not pay2win and that's how it should be. If you really don't want to be confronted with it, you can hide the CM icon underneath something else, like your compass or whatever and I really don't see why you would have a problem with more stuff being on the GTN to choose from.

Really, I don't see the problem here.

Of course it is... Now could you please show me, where I can access the fully voiced storylines in Rift and Tera? Oh, they do not have any? What, I cannot even get them, if I am a subcriber? Okay... Why is SWTOR scolded again for giving more for free than those other games?

You are seriously gonna bring a game feature into this? Voice-acting is a game feature not a subscriber-f2p thing.

Both Rift and Tera (and many others) won't limit my quickbars, how much gold i can keep, the levels at which i can skill sprint, the number of raids i can run, etc. I can go on and on but it's pointless

Edited by DKNS

You are seriously gonna bring a game feature into this? Voice-acting is a game feature not a subscriber-f2p thing.

Both Rift and Tera (and many others) won't limit my quickbars, how much gold i can keep, the levels at which i can skill sprint, the number of raids i can run, etc. I can go on and on but it's pointless

You are seriously gonne decide which game to play by limits of quick bars and not by game features?

So why not create a few Subscription servers where everything can be purchased in-game? A huge part of the MMO community wants a cash shop free game so creating these servers will most likely attract a good number of players while also calming the existing players who are tired of the cash shop.

there is no pay 2 win in the game, unless you consider " being prettier " some sort of tactical advantage against other people.

and everything is in the GTN anyways. So get out there and grind credits.

#pointless

You are seriously gonne decide which game to play by limits of quick bars and not by game features?

Yes, when the number of quickbars is plainly insufficient for the amount of skills, i will; and many others as well. Game features don't mean **** when you can't run more than 3 raids in a week or have to walk till lvl 15 whereas others are running or not get a speeder till 25 or are not able to equip the top level equipments.

Even if they are F2P, players don't want to be treated like dirt. Tera and Rift while having different features don't treat their F2P players like 3rd class citizens whereas SWTOR sadly does.

But whatever, this thread isn't about SWTOR's F2P so leave it.

Edited by DKNS

You're right...it's pointless, but yet here you are. The reality is that even though people do this all the time, you can't just compare games like this. People feel that if something is done in one game it should be in the other. No it shouldn't. The game devs make choices based on a total picture and you can't just take single items and draw a comparison.

SWTOR is a rich story driven environment. The game didn't go F2P as a lot of people here think...the game still is a sub game with F2P options. These options allow you to play and enjoy the game with certain limitations for free but if you want to have the full effect you still need to get a sub.

One reason they do this is because it still needs to be worthwhile to have a sub. You can't offer everything for free and charge others a sub for the same. No matter how self entitled a player feels, a game needs to make money.

The idea that SWTOR is getting a bad name because of this is just a wild stab in the dark. Of course in the media the negative always is more interesting. It also means that no matter what they do, there will still be people ************ about this or that.

F2P allows you to level to 50 and you have a choice of all the story lines. It is more like a demo, just a really big one. They also recognise that in some areas in the world there are payment issues so players can at least get a f2p account and play. But again, the game is NOT a F2P game it's a sub game with F2P options.

I know people complain for example that they have a credit limit, but the reality is that it's necessary to control gold sellers who make use of free accounts. Gold seller activity is a down side to having f2p accounts in a game. It's still very uncommon but I do run into gold seller messages from time to time. Before the game became f2p I think I got 1 or 2 mails with gold seller messages. But gold seller activities must be curbed as much as possible.

People who complain about F2P being too limited are simply self-entitled. You have no right to demand things when something is free. It's an attitude problem. And before you start again about how it's getting a bad name because of it blah blah blah....let's be real. The game is doing a LOT better than a year ago. Just look at how much new content came out this year compared to last year. That alone should tell you something.

There really is a lot of positive stuff to say about this game, but last year it nearly crashed and the devs really made a lot of big mistakes. Since then it's just easy to be negative about SWTOR. That still lingers. But the game has become a lot better since then and the whiners either don't want to see it or don't realise that this game is just simply not for them. All games have bugs, SWTOR is not worse than other MMOs but it is a different game with different things in it. Not everybody will like it, that's ok. All MMOs after WoW suffer the same fate.

F2P accounts are a great way to see the game and discover if it's worth playing for you. You can then decide to stay f2p, unlock various restrictions or go sub. I really think it's not so bad as people say. It's just that they want everything for free and then compare it to other games who give X for free and SWTOR gives Y for free. So they complain that the other game doesn't give Y for free and complain here that SWTOR doesn't give X for free. Seriously, it's childish. Just look at the game for what it is and decide whether it's worth playing and worth paying for. If you don't think so then just don't play or pay and accept that game companies are not charities and have people working there that also would like to feed their families. You don't need to feel bad for them but getting everything for free doesn't exist. All games must make money and they can't do that by giving everything out for free without any consequences. Make a game totally f2p and it will get a much more aggressive cash shop, pay2win, lots of gold sellers etc. You can't just make everything free and without restrictions unless you are ok with all that crap...I certainly don't want this game to go that way.

In RIFT subscribers get a permanent speed boost over F2P players, which cannot be avoided in any way. In SWTOR, the F2P players can reach the same 110% boost as the subscribers can.

... You are forking your arguments as they fit you.

Also you are not gonna tell me, when to leave a thread. YOU are the OP and YOU brought the ridiculous F2P-limits up.

The Cash Shop in Rift and Tera and any other game is holding the same stuff like here in SWTOR plus other stuff, that SWTOR does not offer. Pure F2P games like Shaiya for example give significant gameplay advantages in their cash shops and they do not allow to buy the items for in game currency from other players (like SWTOR does).

So by all means, just ignore the cash shop and buy anything you want from the galactic trade... and you are as close to your dream server as you will ever get... and at the same time, the devs do not need to devote time for special rules servers and they do not need to develop systems that will obviously make them less money than the current system and the server population will not be spread further.

In RIFT subscribers get a permanent speed boost over F2P players, which cannot be avoided in any way. In SWTOR, the F2P players can reach the same 110% boost as the subscribers can.

... You are forking your arguments as they fit you.

Also you are not gonna tell me, when to leave a thread. YOU are the OP and YOU brought the ridiculous F2P-limits up.

The Cash Shop in Rift and Tera and any other game is holding the same stuff like here in SWTOR plus other stuff, that SWTOR does not offer. Pure F2P games like Shaiya for example give significant gameplay advantages in their cash shops and they do not allow to buy the items for in game currency from other players (like SWTOR does).

So by all means, just ignore the cash shop and buy anything you want from the galactic trade... and you are as close to your dream server as you will ever get... and at the same time, the devs do not need to devote time for special rules servers and they do not need to develop systems that will obviously make them less money than the current system and the server population will not be spread further.

Ugh, what's wrong with you? Have you never been part of a mature conversation before? Can't you stop replying as if your life depended on it?

And just fyi, i didn't ask you to leave the thread, i asked you to drop the lame the f2p vs sub conversation, that was not the point of thread.

Also, you are the one who is forking arguments in SWTOR's favour. Yes, Rift gives a 10% ms boost to subscribers but it does not make the F2Pers wait 15 levels just to walk faster or even 10 levels more than subs to get a mount. And as usual, you completely ignored the raid limits, quickbar limits, quicktravel (fleet passes) limits, gear limits, credit limits, Market limits, Chat limits, Message limits and whatever else is there.

Edited by DKNS

And to the rest of the community, i am really disappointed in you. I was just proposing a way which might help the game and yet so many of you jump on the offensive. I really held the SWTOR community in high regard until now. Guess that would also explain why the devs rarely reply on the forums. When so many of you lack the ability to have a mature conversation calmly, why would the devs bother? I think i understand now why they made representatives.

Allods Online did it recently so why not here too?

Many (and i mean a lot of) people are turned off by the cash shop to the extent that they do not even try the game or just leave it. So why not create a few Subscription servers where everything can be purchased in-game? A huge part of the MMO community wants a cash shop free game so creating these servers will most likely attract a good number of players while also calming the existing players who are tired of the cash shop.

I think this would really help the stabilise the game as well as it's reputation in the MMO community which is currently extremely bad due to the extremely restrictive F2P offered by Bioware. We know Bioware has said that it's more like a demo but the they themselves officially called it F2P. A F2P server will also properly act as a Demo server while the rest of the people can enjoy the game as it was meant to be played on the Sub servers. An important thing here would be to allow all current subscribers an option to freely transfer to the Sub server, otherwise the sub server won't work.

If Bioware is worried about the money which it may lose from the current subs who still buy stuff from Cartel shop, then they can charge for the expansions on the sub server instead of it giving it free. I know i would be more than happy to spend on an expansion instead of the Cartel market.

What does the rest of the community feel about this? Please comment below and also vote on the poll i created to see it statistically :)

You do realize that there is nothing forcing you to use the cartel market at any time right? So this whole "I would be more than happy to spend on an expansion instead of the CM" is just a crock. In fact I'm sure if you want to go ahead and pay for a free expansion, since you certainly are not required to purchase any cartel market items, Bioware would probably be more than happy to accept a donation on your part for it.

Well you can visit any major MMO forums if you want proof for that as well as just any gaming forums. My deduction came from my time on sites like mmorpg.com, mmohut.com, subs on Reddit of upcoming games with subs (like WIldstar, TESO, etc.) and many others. Even Reddit's /r/swtor which generally is a decent place with occasional SWTOR Dev visits occasionally complains of it. While i know sites like mmorpg.com are a cesspool of the gaming community, a customer is a customer and they do complain a lot about games with cash shops.

I'm assuming most of those games have game breaking purchases, the cash shop in this game is all fluff, nice but you can manage quite nicely without it.

If I could ring in, a few simplified points that are probably more complicated than these simple statements can represent.

1) Allods shop rollout was disastrous, mostly due to almost universally bad pricing and policy across the board.

2) It is likely the sub server is an attempt to fix that fiasco to avoid losing players, at least according to some in the industry.

3) Many in the industry point out that Everquest II Extended attempted this kind of segregation and it caused player losses above and beyond normal attrition...and was quickly reversed.

I personally think it's worth a shot....but if I was giving it a go here I would be ready to pull the plug fairly quickly on the deal as I would expect it to crash and burn expeditiously.

Edited by LordArtemis

It dont mind the cash shop (im not using it). Ok the big ugly yellow icon on top of the screen is a bit annoying tbh. Not sure if you can turn that off? No? Thought so.

I was F2P previously, and well, it cant really be classified as F2P imo. More like a demo. I was actually a bit turned off by the constant "BUY THIS; BUY THAT", luckily my current finances allows me to subscribe, so I did just that. Oterwise, I would probably have stopped playing.

It would have been more honest if they just made it a level capped trial.

I understand they need money to operate the servers, pay people etc. But I also think they could have done it differently (the F2P aspect) and still made money.