Sword Squadron tanking damage

Im curious what dtps a tank should be taking on Unit 1 on SS HM these days? My group is having a hard time keeping the tanks alive especially the tank on unit 1, we are using the tank swap when unit 2 targets the other tank and they say they are using all cooldowns. The healing numbers are around 12k ehps between the 2 healers, the dps take between 900 - 1300 dtps so i dont think its a healing issue and the dps isnt taking huge damage thats taking away the heals from the tanks so to me it seems like the tanks are missing something and taking too much damage. The tank on unit 2 usually takes between 2.5 - 3k dtps and the tank on unit 1usually takes between 3.5 - 4k dtps, is that normal? Edited by jadjay

To give you some perspective OP:

My group doesn't tank swap at all during the fight. When Walker 2 targets the Walker 1 tank, we have myself, a Jugg tank, hold both of them for the entire duration until Walker 2 switches back to its own tank.

That means that several times throughout the entire fight, I am taking obscenely high amounts of extra damage. Even so I generally end the fight at around 4500 DTPS. If your tanks are actually swapping, that tank should be taking a lot less.

A reason for added damage:

1) They arent moving early enough from rapid fire. The thing about Rapid fire is, if your tank starts moving once its begun, they'll still likely take several hits from it as they are moving out of the circle. Since it happens on a consistant timer, the tank needs to start movin before Rapid Fire starts, that way they're already on the move and should get hit by zero of it.

2) Ground burst missiles - this is the most common culprit of groups taking too much damage, and while this is normally an issue for DPS and Heals, tanks are not excluded from it. If your tank is getting hit by any of these it will spike his DTPS severely

3) Tank is not using defensive cooldowns during high damage moments. There are a few times throughout the fight where a bunch of things will line up causing a great deal of damage within a small window. Like the Gravity Missile explosion happening at the same time as Walker 1's Mega Blast goes out and Walker 2 does his AOE missiles on the raid simultaniously. (I believe this happens on Gravity Missile #6). There are other lesser ones as well, but smart use of defensive cooldowns will greatly reduce the damage tanks take, assuming they are not standing in stuff they aren't supposed to be.

Hope that is of some help

Edited by Terro_Fett

For the OP, I just wanted confirm the below numbers are reasonable given no tank swap.

My group doesn't tank swap at all during the fight. When Walker 2 targets the Walker 1 tank, we have myself, a Jugg tank, hold both of them for the entire duration until Walker 2 switches back to its own tank.

That means that several times throughout the entire fight, I am taking obscenely high amounts of extra damage. Even so I generally end the fight at around 4500 DTPS. If your tanks are actually swapping, that tank should be taking a lot less.

1) They arent moving early enough from rapid fire. The thing about Rapid fire is, if your tank starts moving once its begun, they'll still likely take several hits from it as they are moving out of the circle. Since it happens on a consistant timer, the tank needs to start movin before Rapid Fire starts, that way they're already on the move and should get hit by zero of it.

2) Ground burst missiles - this is the most common culprit of groups taking too much damage, and while this is normally an issue for DPS and Heals, tanks are not excluded from it. If your tank is getting hit by any of these it will spike his DTPS severely

3) Tank is not using defensive cooldowns during high damage moments. There are a few times throughout the fight where a bunch of things will line up causing a great deal of damage within a small window. Like the Gravity Missile explosion happening at the same time as Walker 1's Mega Blast goes out and Walker 2 does his AOE missiles on the raid simultaniously. (I believe this happens on Gravity Missile #6). There are other lesser ones as well, but smart use of defensive cooldowns will greatly reduce the damage tanks take, assuming they are not standing in stuff they aren't supposed to be.

pretty much this.