Is there anyway to turn off the bad language filter?

Lt_Braxx

While I can respect Bioware's decision to put in a bad language filter to protect some of the younger players in SWTOR. I would like to know if there is any way to turn it off on my UI for when I type bad words and when I am receiving bad words from other players.

My reason is the following: I am and adult and from time to time I curse and use abbreviations with friends. It is our common tongue in real life as well as in online chat.

I'm hoping there is a way to turn this off because I don't enjoy being treated like a child or being censored. Also, please do not respond with posts like clean up your language, etc, etc. This is a personal choice and I would like to privately chat with friends in any manner I choose.

This feature would not hurt any other person in game and would only enhance my personal experience.

Edited by Lt_Braxx

if you have problems to switch of the profanity filter...i wonder how you wanna get to lvl 50 :p

Wonder how you made it through life with language skills like that.

Insults hurt when not needed. This is New Player help section. Not ego boost section.

if you have problems to switch of the profanity filter...i wonder how you wanna get to lvl 50 :p

This is the "new player section" where there are no stupid questions... but there may be stupid answers such as the one above.

Thanks!

You're welcome.

Now, when guilders point out that they've just discovered this option, mess with their minds a little and write something with lots of asterisks such as :

"Hey, there are some words that are censored even with the profanity filter off, such as : The other day, I ******** my ****** in the *******"

Let them scratch their head a little.

The ToS we all agree to abide by includes wording that we will not use bad language. Since you agree not to use bad language, the existence of the filter does not give you permission to go back on your promise.

Dang, you beat me to it!

The ToS we all agree to abide by includes wording that we will not use bad language. Since you agree not to use bad language, the existence of the filter does not give you permission to go back on your promise.

People are going to swear whether they agree to it or not. Also certain harmless shortening of words such as the one for the Sith Inquisitor Advanced Class Assassin are abbreviated. I hate not knowing what people have actually said.

In addition the section in the ToS about vulgarity is there to protect younger and more delicate players and is only enforced on a reactive basis (meaning someone has to report them) and not proactively so if he wants to swear with his buddies in the privacy of party chat then it's his business, unless one of his buddies reports him.

Remember this option only controlled what you see, not what you said. If I swore on my side and you had the filter enabled, you wouldn't know what I said or if I just put is some ****.

In addition the section in the ToS about vulgarity is there to protect younger and more delicate players and is only enforced on a reactive basis (meaning someone has to report them) and not proactively so if he wants to swear with his buddies in the privacy of party chat then it's his business, unless one of his buddies reports him.

Actually, the provision about vulgarity in the EUALA is there to maintain the T rating of the game, which permits some amounts of mild profanity in the game. BioWare does not permit players to use profanity, because they cannot control player's actions. However, they can use some mild profanity in dialogs and such. And no, just because the ESRB notes that "Online Interactions Not Rated by the ESRB" does not mean that people can curse like sailors without repercussion. Without a profanity filter, the ESRB may be required to bump up the rating to MA, which would severely hurt the game.

If someone wants to swear with a bunch of his buddies, and one of those buddies reports him, guess what? He'll still receive the same consequences as he would if he'd been cursing in General Chat.

Edited by Aieny

Remember this option only controlled what you see, not what you said. If I swore on my side and you had the filter enabled, you wouldn't know what I said or if I just put is some ****.

Oh I understand, my point is people give their word they will not swear in game. Kinda hard to wonder what kind of person lies about something this trivial just to play a game.

Well if you are role playing say a smuggler or bounty hunter... "Gosh darn it"... Doesn't really fit the personality. ;)

Is it an absolute requirement that roleplaying Smugglers and Bounty Hunters means having to use foul words? I'd find it more fun to say some really wacked out, crazy things that by no means were swearing: "I'm gonna rip your intestines out and shove them down your throat, you spineless sack of bantha fodder!"; "You're gonna rue the day your mother ever squatted down in that field and squeezed you out onto the dirt, you son of a motherless goat!"

Edited by Aieny

Is it an absolute requirement that roleplaying Smugglers and Bounty Hunters means having to use foul words? I'd find it more fun to say some really wacked out, crazy things that by no means were swearing: "I'm gonna rip your intestines out and shove them down your throat, you spineless sack of bantha fodder!"; "You're gonna rue the day your mother ever squatted down in that field and squeezed you out onto the dirt, you son of a motherless goat!"

Wow... and that's better then a simple four letter word?!! LOL

I think I would rather someone call me an A--hole then talk about my momma squatting in a field and squeezing me out her Va-jay-jay.

Guess you could always just say FRACK!!!

Edited by thbends

Wow... and that's better then a simple four letter word?!! LOL

Guess you could always just say FRACK!!!

Dang, I was going to bring up Frack.

We're getting way off topic here but oh well...This is why I never understood the problem with "foul language" it's just a word, it's the tone and context that gives it meaning. If you replace it with another word the meaning is still there.

I never understood why MMOs have this in their ToS and at the same time include a profanity filter. If a company doesn't want people to swear at all in their game, why not simply just censor all the bad words and not include the toggle profanity filter in the first place? :confused: It doesn't make sense. It's pointless to have a chat filter that players can toggle on and off but yet profanity is not permitted no matter what.

Edited by BlackRifle

Well if you are role playing say a smuggler or bounty hunter... "Gosh darn it"... Doesn't really fit the personality. ;)

Actually, if you're in Empire, due to the British accent, you'd have to say "By Jove" or something like that

To be honest, if they aggressively enforced the profanity rule as much as some people here seem to want, by the time they're finished, there'd be about 10-20 people total playing.

Yes, there is a profanity clause and it has to exist for the reasons stated. The profanity filter exists in tandem with it because no matter what CS does, they are not going to reasonably be able to control the speech of every player. So, the profanity filter is there for people that want to use it and it can be toggled off for those that don't.

In other games (and I can't see any reason why this game won't hold to the same standard), it was stated a number of times that the existence of a profanity filter does not grant the ability to be excessively profane. The occasional slip (I'm guilty as anything on this one) or mild use of profanity is probably not going to be dealt with. What will be dealt with is the person(s) that can't see to hit the space bar without using some sort of profanity or people that construct those words in such a way that it bypasses the filter.

To sum up, if you don't want to see it, either engage the filter or place the person on ignore. If you don't mind seeing it, it's your choice to turn it off. In either case, if someone is going out of control with the language, report it, ignore the player and let CS decide how they will deal with it.