Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Strongholds Going Forward

DuchessKristania
07.24.2018 , 07:08 PM | #11
I'd really like to know for sure when/if Zakuul is coming. It's been rumored for a long time. I think that's a stronghold where we definitely need to have a back and forth dialogue before it comes out. Personally, I'd prefer the palace, because I think it would be more versatile than an apartment. I think every stronghold should be designed in a way that it enable to players to take the themes and mood in several different directions. The easiest way to accomplish this is to put less built in ambience and leave it to the decorators to create themselves.

Whether people want to make a home or not, I believe every stronghold should have a building with several rooms. To me, that's sort of fundamental in a stronghold. I also think they should steer away from gimmicks and look more to quality. Gimmicks can certainly be added to strongholds, and be fun, but they should not take from the basic elements of strongholds. This is all my opinion, but I believe if they stick to a basic guideline of what a stronghold is, then add the gimmicks on top of that, they're more likely to receive a positive reaction from more players.
#SaveSWTOR

♥Death Should Never Silence Love♥

AureliaSulis
07.24.2018 , 11:24 PM | #12
Reposted from the General Discussion Forum.
----------------
I had a thought just now about how the Developers could address the demands for different fortresses - Kit Homes.

From basic/modest, to mid-range, to upmarket, extensive and luxury models. On either Coruscant or Drumond Kaas you'd go to a 'housing' instance where you do could do a walk through each kit home seeing how they look on the inside and how the decoration hooks were arranged. Then exiting, you go to a panel, make a choice of layout and planet location, and spend your credits. There would be a range of planets beyond the currently available. Each kit home would sit in its own unique instance that was adapted from the landscape of the planet chosen. So, nestled amongst the mountains on Odessan (with a handy exit to the Alliance base), on a beach with a waterfall nearby on Rakata Prime/Rishi/Copero, other locations on other planets. The ability to choose a kit home size and planet would satisfy the most avid roleplayer, decorator, fanatic.
Eric Arthur Blair was prescient.

DuchessKristania
07.25.2018 , 09:34 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by AureliaSulis View Post
----------------
I had a thought just now about how the Developers could address the demands for different fortresses - Kit Homes.

From basic/modest, to mid-range, to upmarket, extensive and luxury models. On either Coruscant or Drumond Kaas you'd go to a 'housing' instance where you do could do a walk through each kit home seeing how they look on the inside and how the decoration hooks were arranged. Then exiting, you go to a panel, make a choice of layout and planet location, and spend your credits. There would be a range of planets beyond the currently available. Each kit home would sit in its own unique instance that was adapted from the landscape of the planet chosen. So, nestled amongst the mountains on Odessan (with a handy exit to the Alliance base), on a beach with a waterfall nearby on Rakata Prime/Rishi/Copero, other locations on other planets. The ability to choose a kit home size and planet would satisfy the most avid roleplayer, decorator, fanatic.
I think this is an absolutely brilliant idea! I really hope that the dev team see this and looks into whether or not it could be implemented. I think the flexibility it would offer is something that the strongholds in this game desperately need. I love the strongholds, but the one size fits all approach just doesn't seem to be working well these days.
#SaveSWTOR

ceciltaru
07.25.2018 , 10:48 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by AureliaSulis View Post
----------------

this is very similar to an idea i had back in 2016 regarding designing your own stronghold. like yours you would pick from a set number of maps from a planet, each with its own structure hooks and such. you would then buy the structures for those structure hooks, like warehouses, different planet unique buildings and such. you could even turn a structure hook into a a decoration hook, like a starship or centerpiece one. after the purchase of the stronghold and all, then you could get in and decorate.

heres a link to that blog post from august 2016

casirabit
07.25.2018 , 11:21 AM | #15
I would suggest they remove the hooks. In SWG we had free form decorating and there was a couple quests we could do that gave us more freedom to decorate

http://swg.wikia.com/wiki/Force_Shui_-_Pitch
http://swg.wikia.com/wiki/Force_Shui_-_Roll
http://swg.wikia.com/wiki/Master_of_Force_Shui

You did have a limit (based on the type of house/etc and whether or not you did the extra collections) of how many items could be placed.

Fountains could be placed in the ceilings and if turned correctly you could make a shower, I did that quite a few times.

The only catch is sometimes this decorating can be confusing to those just figuring it out but you would have better decorating and items are not limited to what type of hook or whether it is on the floor, wall or ceilings, and you were able to place items on the tables.

You could also place armor on table or item you created to use as a display case.

I have suggested this since strongholds were introduced as I believe this would give people more freedom to decorate. Sure we will have some that will not be very good but is it really any different than people just placing all chairs in one room.

https://www.google.com/search?q=swg+...w=1920&bih=947
A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing. If you like redheads click my Referral link Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/VkfKqj https://poshmark.com/closet/tmcevoy1121

Xina_LA
07.25.2018 , 11:42 AM | #16
I agree with most of the comments. I was extremely disappointed with the Umbara train stronghold and also disappointed with Manaan to a lesser degree. When I saw "junkyard Rishi", my heart just sank.

Fortunately, the devs did a lot of work changing the Rishi SH based on player feedback. Sure, it's not everything we asked for, but we had to know that would be the case. It was, however, a large change that undoubtedly took a lot of effort and proved that they're listening.

More proof came from other posts -- they've said that they wished they could have made even more changes, and they said that they'll be looking at a future stronghold that offers more of a "cantina" setting.

There are also more awesome decorations and decoration-only packs coming in the near future.

This is enough to counter a great deal of the skepticism and cynicism that I built up during the Manaan/Umbara months.

When I last toured it, after the first big round of changes, I thought... "Well, a lot of people did request a smuggler's or bounty hunter's den; this fits the bill and I can work with it." I made my Umbara SH into a "Holiday train", so I'm going to turn Rishi into a "Halloween haunt". That way, I won't have to redecorate my other strongholds when I invite guests for holiday-themed social events.

With any luck, they won't charge extra for a Guild version of the Rishi SH, so we can afford to switch from Coruscant and DK, opening up more social options.
--=# Decorating addict of Satele Shan server. #=--

DuchessKristania
07.25.2018 , 01:56 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Xina_LA View Post
I agree with most of the comments. I was extremely disappointed with the Umbara train stronghold and also disappointed with Manaan to a lesser degree. When I saw "junkyard Rishi", my heart just sank.

Fortunately, the devs did a lot of work changing the Rishi SH based on player feedback. Sure, it's not everything we asked for, but we had to know that would be the case. It was, however, a large change that undoubtedly took a lot of effort and proved that they're listening.

More proof came from other posts -- they've said that they wished they could have made even more changes, and they said that they'll be looking at a future stronghold that offers more of a "cantina" setting.

There are also more awesome decorations and decoration-only packs coming in the near future.

This is enough to counter a great deal of the skepticism and cynicism that I built up during the Manaan/Umbara months.

When I last toured it, after the first big round of changes, I thought... "Well, a lot of people did request a smuggler's or bounty hunter's den; this fits the bill and I can work with it." I made my Umbara SH into a "Holiday train", so I'm going to turn Rishi into a "Halloween haunt". That way, I won't have to redecorate my other strongholds when I invite guests for holiday-themed social events.

With any luck, they won't charge extra for a Guild version of the Rishi SH, so we can afford to switch from Coruscant and DK, opening up more social options.
I think at this point Rishis is probably not going to see any drastic changes. I do hope they make adjustments to one of the current buildings but it's like not going to be anything groundbreaking. I don't have a problem with a pirate town, but I think if they'd chosen an area more akin to the initial landing zone the same feel could be accomplished whilte retaining the versatility for players to take the SH in a different direction if those had chosen to. But Rishi is what it is and any changes they make before the release are not going to fundamentally change it.

My hope with this thread is that the devs see it and engage stronghold enthusiasts before they nail down the designs of future strongholds. My personal belief is that a stronghold should be basic enough in design that it leaves it to the player to choose the mood of the place, and doesn't pigeon-hole an aesthetic. So while Rishi did spur me to make the post, it's not about Rishi, but about strongholds in general. The greater versatility a stronghold has the greater appeal it will have as well.
#SaveSWTOR

StarChanneller
08.06.2018 , 07:24 PM | #18
I agree with everything you guys said, but there is one thing I would like to add: It doesn't matter how versatile a stronghold is if we can't decorate it.

The availability of decorations has long been an issue, especially as Strongholds get added more frequently and people have to choose between ditching some locations or spreading out their decorations amongst all the different strongholds available. Decorations from older packs and even some newer ones can be expensive, and I've found many times that certain kinds of decorations I once felt to have in abundance are becoming scarce due to the sheer number of strongholds that exist.

Of course, I'm not just sitting around making no effort to expand my options and I don't mind working with limitations, but sometimes it can be disheartening to find old favorites of yours almost inaccessible due to the high GTN prices or absence from the GTN entirely due to their rarity.

It's especially painful when this happens with minor-yet-useful decorations like small chairs and other such decorations best used in large quantities. Worse is when you find a decoration meant to be cheap or humble for the price of Tulak Horde's lightsaber. Not that underworld or humble themes should be easier for decorators to work with - I understand WHY a rare item is rare, even if in the lore of the game it's nothing significant - but it still hurts to see a broken table be worth every credit you have.

In short, I think the attainability of decorations sorely needs to be increased, so I hope the devs keep going in that direction. The consolidation of Cartel rep vendors, the increasing accessibility of things like Cartel certificates, and the addition of more decorations that can be obtained through crafting and in-game things like reputation vendors and PVP are not unwelcome and have not gone unnoticed.
Want to get some items? When you click someone's referral link, SWTOR gives you stuff! Below is my referral link, and yes, I do get stuff as well if you click it. It's mutually beneficial. At least I'm honest about my ulterior motive :3
http://www.swtor.com/r/5lNVP6