Display Name Only Log In Now Live

AmberGreen

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy that I've had a security key, but I still find it silly that now everyone knows half of your login info.

Probably because you don't understand all the other systems, controls etc involved, or don't understand that assuming login name is "private" is poor security in itself.

Kerckhoffs's principle applies beyond codes and ciphers to security systems in general: every secret creates a potential failure point. Secrecy, in other words, is a prime cause of brittleness—and therefore something likely to make a system prone to catastrophic collapse. Conversely, openness provides ductility.

So relying on "secret" usernames is a bad idea, assuming the username is not known by an attacker is a bad idea, there are MANY other controls in place that do not assume that your username is secret, an attacker knowing it, or not knowing it doesn't matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerckhoffs's_principle <-- read it.

• Dev Post
Just a question... are logins now also linked to Origin accounts in a different manner? I suddenly had a pet for BF P4F ahvent done anything with that account in ages

The link to Origin hasn't changed at all - there is a promotion happening across some other EA games that you must have hit the criteria for, which meant that you have been sent the pet. I'm jealous, I don't have the pet myself!

Well there's one less step for the hackers to deal with. Stupid idea imo.:mad:

This question (and others) are covered in my post from a couple of weeks ago: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=612230

Anyone having trouble with their game crashing as soon as its about to hit the character screen? Its bein doin this all morning and im not sure if its happening for anyone else.

The game crashing bugs are covered in other threads - please keep this thread specific to the authentication changes.

Ive given up I cant even get past the login screen like talking to a brick wall , no answers from bio no help,same problem time and time and time again. getting bored I am not phoning again waiting 2 hours for the game not to be fixed. Have to wait for bio to recognise the problem and then sort it. I hate these forums don't like being on them, the sooner the problem is sorted the faster I can leave.

Anyone having trouble with their game crashing as soon as its about to hit the character screen? Its bein doin this all morning and im not sure if its happening for anyone else.

I've been having the same problem which is why im here.. gaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Signed into the forums twice today. Both times there's been the "don't recognize the computer" message and I've had to go fetch the email stuff.

Okay, the first time not recognizing -- that's understandable. But shouldn't it be recognized after the first?

BTW, it's the same computer I've been using for at least the last 6 months playing the game/logging in to forum.

I don't mind the added security, however we should be aloud to change our login name at least once and/or be able to create a handle for the forums. Having the same displayed for all those to see is not improving security, its opening up issues later down the road. Make it so we have a different handle for the forums/discussions and allow us a one time name change to our login.

Beginning, today, April 2, 2013, logging in to the game or website will require your Display Name. Email addresses are no longer accepted; your Display Name is the only accepted option.

Read More

Amber, what's the deal with the temporary security password? How does having this enable the self-service recovery as compared to the additional security questions? This is a terrible annoyance for those of us who don't have static IP addresses. Literally every time I log in to the game I have to first log in, then open my email and wait about 3-5 minutes for an email to arrive from Bioware, then type that code into the launcher to then be able to click the "play" button. As if getting to the game interface didn't take long enough already!

Somehow, I just don't think my account is that important to other people. I know it's not feeling that important to me..... :confused:

Ive given up I cant even get past the login screen like talking to a brick wall , no answers from bio no help,same problem time and time and time again. getting bored I am not phoning again waiting 2 hours for the game not to be fixed. Have to wait for bio to recognise the problem and then sort it. I hate these forums don't like being on them, the sooner the problem is sorted the faster I can leave.

I have the same problem

I am not bothered with this new login thing except for some reason when I open up the launcher it stays for 3 seconds long enough for me to see "Launcher updating" and then it shuts off and a message box turns up saying "only one application can be open at a time" this has been going on ALL DAY!!! Pray tell what the HELL is going on?? :)

I am not bothered with this new login thing except for some reason when I open up the launcher it stays for 3 seconds long enough for me to see "Launcher updating" and then it shuts off and a message box turns up saying "only one application can be open at a time" this has been going on ALL DAY!!! Pray tell what the HELL is going on?? :)

Check your Task Manager under the Processes tab to make sure there isn't an errant version of the application stuck in the background somewhere. If you see it listed, force-close it and you should be up and running.

im haveing the same problem

For some reason after I log in I get "Select a server" screen but it is blank. There are no servers listed there, on the united dtates or europe tabs. Everything seems to work on the page but there are simply no servers listed...which makes it quite dificult to get into the game as one might imagine.

For some reason after I log in I get "Select a server" screen but it is blank. There are no servers listed there, on the united dtates or europe tabs. Everything seems to work on the page but there are simply no servers listed...which makes it quite dificult to get into the game as one might imagine.

I am having the same problem. What is going on?? Are the servers down or is the launcher update screwed up?