"best" Tank (on Empire side)

Pfeffernuss

Hello again, after now playing a Sage I was wondering whats the "best" tank class in game accountet for a classic MMORPG

-crowd control

-damage reduction

-life

-leadership

and if you compare both (Republic and Empire) Tanks, is the "best" (for these classical attributes) on Republic or Empire side and which class is it?

thank you again for your help

First of all, I think you don't understand yet about mirror classes: all 8 advanced classes on Republic side are mirrored on the Imperial side. That is, the only differences between them is ability names, ability icons and animations. An Operative is *exactly* the same as a Scoundrel, for instance.

Now that that's out of the way, there is no "best tank." There are 3 classes on each side that tank and each excels in a slightly different way. The biggest complaints I've heard are about Shadows/Assassin tanks (spikiness), but the issues don't show up until HM/NiM level Operations.

If you want to roll a tank and you're new to this, I'd recommend Vanguard/Powertech. It's pretty easy to tank as this class, and is a ton of fun.

I have no idea what you mean by "leadership." I think that's a player quality, not a class thing.

Edited by Fidelicatessen

First of all, I think you don't understand yet about mirror classes: all 8 advanced classes on Republic side are mirrored on the Imperial side. That is, the only differences between them is ability names, ability icons and animations. An Operative is *exactly* the same as a Scoundrel, for instance.

Now that that's out of the way, there is no "best tank." There are 3 classes on each side that tank and each excels in a slightly different way. The biggest complaints I've heard are about Shadows/Assassin tanks (spikiness), but the issues don't show up until HM/NiM level Operations.

If you want to roll a tank and you're new to this, I'd recommend Vanguard/Powertech. It's pretty easy to tank as this class, and is a ton of fun.

I have no idea what you mean by "leadership." I think that's a player quality, not a class thing.

thank you for your answer, especially the first subject you pointed out, now I get it, thank you :)

as I tried to put the question, I was looking for the "best" tank in terms of classic MMORPG terminology.

can you elaborate what you mean with the complaints of shadows/assassins? spikiness? HM/NiM level Operations?

nevermind the leadership thingy, I guess I took the wrong word for it, but its okay, thanks for your input.

Edited by Pfeffernuss

thank you for your answer, especially the first subject you pointed out, now I get it, thank you :)

as I tried to put the question, I was looking for the "best" tank in terms of classic MMORPG terminology.

can you elaborate what you mean with the complaints of shadows/assassins? spikiness? HM/NiM level Operations?

nevermind the leadership thingy, I guess I took the wrong word for it, but its okay, thanks for your input.

HM/NiM Operations are Hard Mode and Nightmare mode raids, respectively. 8- or 16-man group content, and generally only done at max level.

Spikiness refers to damage input on a tank. If I am healing, I would prefer the tank take nice, steady damage so that I can more easily time my heals. Spiky damage, as an example, would mean going from full health down to 30% health in one hit. Tough to plan heals around that. Recent changes have mitigated this (arguably).

All the tank types are equally good at grabbing agro and taking hits/staying alive. Some require more skill to play than others, however, which is why I recommended a Vanguard or Powertech to start with.

The Juggernaught has the best single target agro holding and some nice defence cooldowns.

The Powertech gains some utility and aoe managment; whilst maintaining heavy armour.

Assassin (although changed recently in 2.5) was supposed to be a class based around entirely clicking extra buttons to get all the little perks, still important to a lesser degree now. They have the best all-rounder defence boosts including the ability for a few seconds to completely negate tech/force damage, which can counter some insta-kill abilities like with Titan 6 in S&V.

They also have the worst single target hold (only just though) out of all 3 tanks, but taunts work all the same to get it back. They do though, have the best AoE agro holding - boasting iirc 4 or 5 specials for just that.

Out of all 3, I'm an Assassin (of course) and powertech is by far the easiest to get hold of. Easiest to get a rotation down and if you find yourself bored has one of the best DPS options if you find yourself wanting something else.

EDIT: Explained better above.

Juggernaut is the closest to the "classic" tank, jump in and hold agro for single boss. Powertech is a ranged/aoe tank that has an easier time keeping agro on ranged bosses and/or the minion crowd. Assassin was supposed to be a "dance around the boss" glass cannon that could go in/out of stealth and activate immunity abilities as needed to completely avoid damage, but I guess they changed it more recently to be more sit there and tank.

In any case, different tanking styles, and it probably matters a lot more what works well for YOU.

Edited by Merouk