EA says "no new sw games before 2014"

Does this mean we've got an approximate release date for the next big Star Wars game?

Woo!

More seriousness though, it does seem unpleasant that they would outright state that. Does this mean they are not willing to consider publishing any indie Star Wars games whatsoever, or just that their own studios aren't working on any?

Considering that 2013 is almost half over
This. If EA said "not before 2015" I would be a bit calmer but 2014? That's nowhere near enough to make quality AAA games unless they already worked on them for at least a year/two.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/05/07/no-ea-star-wars-games-before-april-2014

Considering it was just announced, either they've been working on something quietly for a while or they're about to make mistake #1 and start rushing half done. glitchy, no thought or substance games to market as quickly as possible.

Does it really matter? EA has not had many successful franchises and many of their titles are subpar(Medal of Honor anyone?). It frightens me the Disney has the entire Star Wars film franchise and the games(formerly Lucasarts).

seeing as the games are being made by the creators of Battlefield, deadspace, and kotor I don't give a **** if EA is pulling the strings

Surprisingly, if you play games like NCAA Football, FIFA, Madden and NHL Hockey, you will also understand that EA doesn't do that bad.

Understandable that there won't be anything until after 2014.....but completely tossing 1313 was the worst part. Hopefully Darth Micky can find someone to take control of that project.

Indeed I suspect 1313 will go through the same juggling act of licensing and development changes that killed battlefront 3 for so long.

Indeed I suspect 1313 will go through the same juggling act of licensing and development changes that killed battlefront 3 for so long.

And 1313 was much better than BF3 too haha. Though we'll get that before 1313 seeing that it really was 99% done, aside from textures.

Oh, they all sound kinda bad. :(

Given this news, I think its pretty clear that EA now has a complete monopoly over any future Star Wars games - with BioWare under their thumb. Is it good that BioWare's on board, yes. But then look what happened to Maxis...

Oh, they all sound kinda bad. :(

Given this news, I think its pretty clear that EA now has a complete monopoly over any future Star Wars games - with BioWare under their thumb. Is it good that BioWare's on board, yes. But then look what happened to Maxis...

Registered domain names could be anything. When they were making the prequel trilogy Lucasfilm registered LOADS of domain names in apparently an effort to cover everything that they could think of to direct anything back to starwars.com.

One that stood out to me at the time was that they registered something like "starwarsrickshaw" and it was all because of the droid that taxied Anakin and Padme to Watto's in Ep2 that saw maybe 6 total seconds of screen time.

Names are registered to protect ideas or marketing. Many times they end up being nothing since they will just tag the name of whatever game they are working on to the directory of their main site.

Edited by TheBBP

Registered domain names could be anything. When they were making the prequel trilogy Lucasfilm registered LOADS of domain names in apparently an effort to cover everything that they could think of to direct anything back to starwars.com.

One that stood out to me at the time was that they registered something like "starwarsrickshaw" and it was all because of the droid that taxied Anakin and Padme to Watto's in Ep2 that saw maybe 6 total seconds of screen time.

Names are registered to protect ideas or marketing. Many times they end up being nothing since they will just tag the name of whatever game they are working on to the directory of their main site.

Ah I see, well apologies if my lack of knowledge concerning domain names came across as pathological pessimism. I suppose I misinterpreted your post for cynicism.

P.S. Just because I think the Rock sucks doesn't make me a 'downer' - it makes me a realist.

Ah I see, well apologies if my lack of knowledge concerning domain names came across as pathological pessimism. I suppose I misinterpreted your post for cynicism.

P.S. Just because I think the Rock sucks doesn't make me a 'downer' - it makes me a realist.

I deleted the negative bits of my reply because I realized that you didn't deserve them. My apologies for even going there like that.

Either way, yeah. That list doesn't necessarily mean that we are getting 3 or 4 Gungan Frontiers games lol. Though it could be something like the kids games that they have at starwars.com.

Being that Lucasfilm became the umbrella for everything that is Star Wars, these could also be anything from books to games (board and video) to toys. It is really hard to say.

I deleted the negative bits of my reply because I realized that you didn't deserve them. My apologies for even going there like that.

Either way, yeah. That list doesn't necessarily mean that we are getting 3 or 4 Gungan Frontiers games lol. Though it could be something like the kids games that they have at starwars.com.

Being that Lucasfilm became the umbrella for everything that is Star Wars, these could also be anything from books to games (board and video) to toys. It is really hard to say.

No worries, I'm actually glad you brought that up else I'd have spent the rest of the day dreading some sort of Gungan Battlefront 3. :p

No worries, I'm actually glad you brought that up else I'd have spent the rest of the day dreading some sort of Gungan Battlefront 3. :p

Oh god.. Not again.

The "Hunt" mission where you could be gungans was bad enough...

Though, i liked that one too.. Every time i went CIS, my hate fueled our victory, dont think we ever lost :p

Wait, do you get to hunt the Gungans or...

You can either hunt gungans or play as gungans and hunt super battle droids. The battle really just turns into gungan grenade spam because that's all they have.

Wait, do you get to hunt the Gungans or...

You could play as them or play as SBDs or something against them. But the Gungans were terrible since all they had for weapons were grenades so there was basically no way to lose to them.

Also, is anyone else excited by the fact that DICE signed on to make a SW game? To me this screams Battlefront 3 at long last....

The only two that sound promising are Wolfpack and Order 67. Because Wolfpack could be about Plo Koon's Group and could feature a spiritual successor to Republic Commando's style of gameplay. Order 67 could be a Clone Commando/ARC Trooper Game again like Republic Commando that has a Renagade Squad of the Republic's Finest rebelling against Order 66 and enacting Order 67 as they feel the Chancellor is crazy and off his rocker. Which in my opinion would be a pretty cool game idea. Obviously they are going to get wiped out either by his royal guard, Vader, or by the Emprah himself Force Lightning Style. But it be pretty cool to do a "Inglorius Basterds" type game where you know they won't succeed but it's a nice story to tell.

I guess Wookiee Hunter could be okay....in a sorta Cabela Hunting/Far Cry kind of thing where you play as a Trandoshan or better a Mandalorian looking for glory with all sorts of gadgets and weapons as you hunt the most dangerous prey.

Though I think I need to stop giving people the benefit of the doubt that they will actually do something I thought of because it most of the time NEVER happens. Yea...there's no way we're going to see games like that. They're probably some lame website game or mobile app.