Crew Skills and Class Trees

jzheng

WARNING: NOOB AHEAD!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I'm confused about class skill trees and companion crew skills. Can someone further explain these two concepts to me? Any reccomendations for a Jedi Sentinel would also be appreciated. :D

The good thing about skill trees is that you can respec any time you want as a subscriber. So look over the trees and spend your points how you like. If you think you should be more powerful, then open up your skill tree, click the button to respec and you'll get all your points back to spend again.

The main thing to know about skill trees is that the stuff at the top of the trees is valuable, so try to pick a tree that looks good and work your way up that tree. Don't spend points in all 3 trees. You want that top skill as soon as you can get it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding crew skills, you can run around and talk to every crew skill trainer in that area of the fleet and get a codex entry that explains more about each skill. Each time you talk to the trainer for the first time, you'll get a codex entry of the skill he trains. You can get to your codex by opening up your mission log (quest log in other games) and looking for the codex tab at the bottom of that window.

There are 3 types of crew skills: Crafting, Gathering, and Mission. Generally, you'll pick a crafting one first by reading the codex entries and finding one that sounds interesting to you (The crafting crew skills are: Synthweaving, Armormech, Artifice, Armstech, Cybertech, and Biochem). Once you select a Crafting crew skill, you will generally pick 1 Gathering crew skill that goes with it, and 1 Mission crew skill that goes with it. The Crafting crew skill codex entry will include information about what Gathering and Mission crew skills best complement it.

The only "wrong" choices for a sentinal would be Armormech and Armstech, since they make gear that is tech based and you're a force user. Any other Crafting crew skill is fine for a jedi knight.

If you really don't want to make your own choice, I recommend Synthweaving (Crafting), Archaology (Gathering), and Underworld Metals (Mission). My reason for making this recommendation is because you get a companion that has an extra +5% crit chance when you have her do your Synthweaving. This is not a significant bonus in the game, however. You're not "wrong" by choosing Artifice, Cybertech, or Biochem instead.

The good thing about skill trees is that you can respec any time you want as a subscriber. So look over the trees and spend your points how you like. If you think you should be more powerful, then open up your skill tree, click the button to respec and you'll get all your points back to spend again.

The main thing to know about skill trees is that the stuff at the top of the trees is valuable, so try to pick a tree that looks good and work your way up that tree. Don't spend points in all 3 trees. You want that top skill as soon as you can get it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding crew skills, you can run around and talk to every crew skill trainer in that area of the fleet and get a codex entry that explains more about each skill. Each time you talk to the trainer for the first time, you'll get a codex entry of the skill he trains. You can get to your codex by opening up your mission log (quest log in other games) and looking for the codex tab at the bottom of that window.

There are 3 types of crew skills: Crafting, Gathering, and Mission. Generally, you'll pick a crafting one first by reading the codex entries and finding one that sounds interesting to you (The crafting crew skills are: Synthweaving, Armormech, Artifice, Armstech, Cybertech, and Biochem). Once you select a Crafting crew skill, you will generally pick 1 Gathering crew skill that goes with it, and 1 Mission crew skill that goes with it. The Crafting crew skill codex entry will include information about what Gathering and Mission crew skills best complement it.

The only "wrong" choices for a sentinal would be Armormech and Armstech, since they make gear that is tech based and you're a force user. Any other Crafting crew skill is fine for a jedi knight.

If you really don't want to make your own choice, I recommend Synthweaving (Crafting), Archaology (Gathering), and Underworld Metals (Mission). My reason for making this recommendation is because you get a companion that has an extra +5% crit chance when you have her do your Synthweaving. This is not a significant bonus in the game, however. You're not "wrong" by choosing Artifice, Cybertech, or Biochem instead.

Thanks, appreciate your help. :) I found this link to help clear up anything you said:

http://www.oldrepublic.net/258-crew-skills-map-force-non-force-classes-usage-dependencies.html

I agreed with two of your choices, but I'm torn between Underworld Trading and Treasure Hunting (missions). Can you explain the differences, advantages, disadvantages?

Thanks, appreciate your help. :) I found this link to help clear up anything you said:

http://www.oldrepublic.net/258-crew-skills-map-force-non-force-classes-usage-dependencies.html

I agreed with two of your choices, but I'm torn between Underworld Trading and Treasure Hunting (missions). Can you explain the differences, advantages, disadvantages?

I'm guessing the two choices you agreed with are Synthweaving and Archaeology. In which case the simple answer is, Underworld Trading will get you materials you need for your craft skill. Treasure Hunting will not.

UT will get you stuff like Luxury Fabrics and Underworld Metals, which advanced Synthweaving recipes require, and Companion Gifts.

TH missions can get you Gemstones, which are used by Artifice, but not for Synthweaving, Companion Gifts, and Lockboxes.

So the only advantage to TH instead of UT is you can get some money from missions that return lockboxes, but in my experience, the lockboxes return less cash than the mission cost, more often than not. Not really an advantage there, and certainly not enough to compensate for needing to buy those UT mats off the GTN, IMO.

YMMV