The Ideal Guild Quiz!

Dink

UPDATE Feb 2014 - The quiz is now at the domain IdealGuildQuiz.com

-----

The Ideal Guild Quiz!!

You can take the quiz here: http://IdealGuildQuiz.com

What is it?

This quiz will identify the values that you deem important for your "ideal guild" to possess, and return a set of up to five recommended guilds. It will process your input through a growing database of information collected directly from guild leaders. It is home-grown, made for our very own TOR guild community.

How does it work?

Every guild leader that has added their guild to the database has answered the quiz questions themselves. Your answers are matched with each guild leader's answers. In short, the closest matching guilds will be recommended - but it is not quite that simple, because various questions are weighted differently (some being more important than others), and your answers to some of the questions will 'filter' the results like a search engine. For example, if you are under the age of 18, guilds with a minimum age requirement of 18 or over will not be recommended to you, even if you match such a guild in all other respects.

Why was this created?

The quiz benefits both guild seekers and guild leaders alike. It eliminates an enormous amount of work for the guild seeker and helps them unearth hidden gems that would otherwise be buried beneath the 70k+ other guilds in the community. Likewise, guild leaders can be assured that recruits yielded through this quiz are very likely a good match for their ideals, as opposed to those yielded through less savory indirect mass-recruiting strategies. It should not, however, be the only tool that you use to find a guild - it is intended to be one of many to help you during your search.

What happened to the first version from 2009?

The first incarnation of the quiz was an experiment, albeit a successful one. It was not made to a standard of quality that we were happy with, and it was hosted with a third party company (HelloQuizzy/OkCupid). After we realized how successful the quiz had become (over 11,000 people had taken it before we took it down a few months ago), we decided to code a new one from scratch hosted under our own control. This version has been streamlined to enable us to add guilds much more quickly, and the back-end logic used to calculate recommendations is much more fine-tuned. We can also adjust the quiz better over time as we monitor its output. This version is designed to continue working after the game's launch.

What if I'm not happy with the guilds it recommended?

It is impossible to please everyone, but let me provide some insight into some of the reasons you may not be happy with the results. Chiefly, you must understand that the quiz can only work with what it is given. If you want a guild that does not exist, it cannot create one out of thin air, and thus you will be unhappy. Also, you should know that if you are of a very young age, your selection will be severely limited because it will not display guilds that will not accept you at your age (quite literally, as I write this, approx 90% of guilds in the quiz have a minimum age requirement). Additionally, if you specify a language, it will only recommend guilds to you that speak the language you are interested in. If it is not a common language among SWTOR players, you may be recommended very few (or zero) guilds. These are just some of the reasons and they are intentional design decisions. If you think the quiz is bugged, however, please use the feedback form on the second page - it will log your results in the database along with your message and we will review your results to try to identify any issues.

How do I add my guild to the quiz?

We have a few minimum requirements necessary for guilds to meet before they can be added. Your guild must also have a recruitment thread posted (here on the official forums), and must be actively accepting new member applications. No exceptions will be made. If you meet this criteria, please email quiz@evcitadel.com and let us know that you are interested. A few Eternal Vigilance members are standing by to field requests. Your guild leader must be the one to contact us - we will verify your identity through swtor.com.

Lastly, thank you for the support from the numerous guild leaders that provided feedback during the quiz's creation process. There were many differing opinions as to how to best design the quiz, and while we ultimately had to make some executive decisions, I think the community will find this version to be a vast improvement over the previous.

Support for the quiz will only be provided by emailing quiz@evcitadel.com - no response guaranteed through any other methods. This includes adjustments needed after your guild has been added.

Edited by Dink
Guild listing updated

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now if the Guilds would at least look at their pages. The 5 they gave me, 1 was inactive, and the other 4 had 6 weeks since any activity.

Really neat quiz and matched me to some nice (to me) guilds.

Most of us just use websites, or other forums to conduct activity. The HQ pages, especially in the past couple of months, have been really unusable. So please keep that in mind KillerCorvette. Perhaps the quiz can link to our websites instead?

Most of us just use websites, or other forums to conduct activity. The HQ pages, especially in the past couple of months, have been really unusable. So please keep that in mind KillerCorvette. Perhaps the quiz can link to our websites instead?

This is exactly one of the updates that will be coming soon along with the server each guild is located on. With the Guild HQ going away a few weeks post-launch, all links for guilds will be pointing to their own websites (for those that don't have one, we'll most likely point to their recruitment thread).

This is exactly one of the updates that will be coming soon along with the server each guild is located on. With the Guild HQ going away a few weeks post-launch, all links for guilds will be pointing to their own websites (for those that don't have one, we'll most likely point to their recruitment thread).

That would be great Dink. Thanks again for doing this. The Guild HQ used to include guild websites but that's gone now. Would have been good if BW left that in especially when they are planning on removing the Guild HQ.

Edited by Kowasin

• 2 weeks later...

I've sent out an email to all guild leaders (yesterday) to collect the last remaining bits of information we'll need in order to roll out the updated changes to the quiz.

As an FYI to all, we'll be linking all guilds to their respective recruitment threads in order to have a common location to direct all quiz-takers upon completion of the quiz (the list of guilds they get returned as results).

Thank you again to the entire community for helping to keep the IGQ going - your support is what makes this a valuable resource, I as well as all those looking for a guild to call home, thank all the guilds involved!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just did the quiz and the two I clicked on that seemed most interesting to me (Solari and "Delusions of Grandeur") both had unavailable links.

Does that mean they are no longer recruiting? Should I look into one of my other options?

Here's my full list:

Guilds recommended to me by the IGQ:

Any suggestions for a guild rookie?

Thanks for doing this Dink! I tried to submit my guild right around Early Access launch but we didn't participate in the Guild Program once we found out they would place us on a server of Bioware's choosing.

I resubmitted my guild's application this morning with our Recruiting thread in place of the Guild HQ url.

Just did the quiz and the two I clicked on that seemed most interesting to me (Solari and "Delusions of Grandeur") both had unavailable links.

Does that mean they are no longer recruiting? Should I look into one of my other options?

Here's my full list:

Guilds recommended to me by the IGQ:

Any suggestions for a guild rookie?

I think they may be still pointing to the Guild HQs which don't exist anymore. Dink sent out an email to the guild leaders so we can send him a link to our recruiting threads (which he's attempting to use now). It could be that he's just not done updating the quiz. I'm sure this is a huge undertaking to say the least.

Edited by Kowasin

I think they may be still pointing to the Guild HQs which don't exist anymore. Dink sent out an email to the guild leaders so we can send him a link to our recruiting threads (which he's attempting to use now). It could be that he's just not done updating the quiz. I'm sure this is a huge undertaking to say the least.

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep looking.

This is it exactly...we're in the process of updating everything, and although there may be a few wrong links in the meantime, they will be fixed soon.

Unfortunately I have yet to hear back from a large number of guilds with their updated information, and since today was the initial cutoff date for a response, I will be removing quite a few of them from the list of potential results. They won't be deleted, as we'll be attempting to contact each of them to gather their information, but they won't show up as a potential result in the meantime.

By January 31st, all guilds that have not responded (to the email I sent or through follow-up PM's) will be removed from the database.

UPDATE - the latest changes have now been published to the IGQ.

A new set of filters have been added that will allow quiz-takers the ability to filter by server name, server type, and server region.

All guilds returned as results will link directly to their individual recruitment threads as well as displaying which server they are located on.

Also, the total list of guilds in the database are significantly smaller, which is due to reflecting only those which we were able to get in contact with for updating their information. We are currently in the process of attempting to contact the remaining guild leaders via forum PMs and will add them back in as potential results once we can assure their information is correct (recruitment thread links, and accuracy of which server they're playing on as the most important parts).

Unfortunately, any guilds we haven't heard from by January 31st we will be deleting from the database completely, so if you are a guild leader from a guild that was previously included and you no longer appear as a potential result (indicated by the list at http://tortoolbox.com/quiz/guildlist.aspx), please make sure that you either reply to the email I sent on 12/27, send a message to support@tortoolbox.com with your updated info, or send me a PM so we can get you added back in.

Thank you again to all the guilds and community members that have continued to support the Ideal Guild Quiz - each of you are what makes this a valuable resource for everyone :)