The role of the rouge

Xenomir

When I play my Mercenary--standing back with my group blasting away--I feel like I'm effecting the battle, doing my part. I'm a part of a team: there are healers tanks and myself all playing our part--like well-oiled machine. This is the team game, the game where working together wins the day.

When I play as my assassin or operative, it's a whole different game. I'm not a part of a "team;" I'm by myself. I have a different role: my job is to take out a healer.

When a stealth player has to take out a healer in a group of 5+ enemies, there's a sliver of time given to him before every enemy focus fires him down in an instant. He will have no healer support, no back up of any kind: he's alone. It's 1 vs 4+ with the goal of killing one healer; there's a slim chance of escape.

I believe the "stealth" game is often misunderstood. It's viewed as being "unfair" because in 1v1 a healer doesn't stand a chance. The thing is, that's the point. In 1v1 the healer isn't supposed to stand a chance. The healer is a part of a team. The healer has a tank's protection, a group of DPS willing to change targets in an instant.

Playing stealth is an intensely rewarding and equally difficult game. We're not in the game to rack up big damage numbers or kills; we're in the game to subtly effect the tide of the battle. It's a thankless job, and that's OK--but we need a few things to fulfill our role. We need burst, CC and escape, that's it.

Take some time to think on the role of the stealth player, whatever class/classes you play. Remember what we do, what we don't do, if you don't keep this in mind you will always be bitter: after the next patch we ops/scoundrels/assassins/shadows will still take down your healers in an instant, because that is what we do: anyone who doesn't like this will never be satisfied unless he comes to terms with the role of a rogue class.

Edited by Xenomir

First bake rouge's rolls:

Ingredients

2 tablespoons shortening

3 tablespoons white sugar

1 cup hot water

1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast

1 egg, beaten

1 teaspoon salt

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

egg wash: one egg, beaten

red food colouring (2-3 drops)

Directions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Grease 8 muffin cups.

In a large bowl, mix the shortening, sugar, and hot water. Allow to cool until lukewarm, and mix in the yeast until dissolved. Mix in the egg, salt, and flour. Allow the dough to rise until doubled in size.

Divide the dough into the prepared muffin cups, and allow to rise again until doubled in size.

Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.

Immediately after removing from the oven, brush the tops with egg wash.

Filling (wait until rolls are cool)

4 tbsp. flour

2/3 c. milk

1 stick butter

4 tbsp. shortening

1 c. sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

2 drops red food colouring

Blend flour and milk in a saucepan, then cook until thick and cool. Combine the butter, shortening, sugar and vanilla; cream well. Add the cooked mixture. Fill the rolls with the filling. Refrigerate until time to serve.

Few points to pick up on here:

When I play as my assassin or operative, it's a whole different game. I'm not a part of a "team;" I'm by myself. I have a different role: my job is to take out a healer.

This is one of the key reasons people who play with rogues don't like them: you're not part of the team. You're being a single-player in a multi-player experience. Yes, your role is important (in games where stealth classes exist) but many rogue-like players will stealth in and force a pull rather than waiting for the tank to pull and then killing the healer. This isn't so much a complaint about the class idea itself as the players who choose them. If you're going to kill the healer then that's fine, but let the poor tank pull before you do please.

I believe the "stealth" game is often misunderstood. It's viewed as being "unfair" because in 1v1 a healer doesn't stand a chance. The thing is, that's the point. In 1v1 the healer isn't supposed to stand a chance.

This is one of the key reasons people who play against rogues don't like them: you are designed to GCD people (kill within 1-2 global cooldowns, or fast enough that their partners have no time to react). As you said, healers aren't meant to stand a chance against rogue-like classes. To some: this is fine; to others: this is a massive design flaw. To all: it's an excuse to be an <insert offensive words here> individual. That is what the class is designed for.

As to healers not standing a chance in 1v1... in pvp, a healer should always win. If a healer cannot win against a single dps, regardless of class, then there's no reason to include them in any 2v2 or larger team; they can't cope with the damage output.

A third point to keep in mind, with regard to PvP, is that stealth classes are able to pick and choose their fights with the greatest degree of freedom available; again, this is by design, but many people hate the existence of the design itself.

I put up with rogues, but I'd prefer them to not exist.

Edited by Zaxaras