Sniper or Operative

MustangCzar

My friends are just getting into swtor (I've had the game since it came out) and there will be 4 of us leveling together. We'll have a jugg, assassin, merc, and then there's me. The jugg will be tanking, the assassin will be tanking/dps, the merc will be dps. My question: Do you guys think i should go operative to heal? I'd rather be sniper and my guys don't mind if we don't have one.... but i've never done flashpoints or any of that stuff without a healer. Do you think we'd really need one? Edited by MustangCzar

Well personally I think that sniper is way fun after about lvl 25 operative as well. Sniper does crazy good dmg and looks epic. Operative on the other hand does fast dmg and has stealth. so you can sneak aroun and assassinate ppl :D Plus operative at lvl 30 somthing can do an in-combat escape. Its your choice and play-style. Operative heals too but i would go sniper. Operative is hilariously awsome though lolz! Np bout the help and have fun w the game!

As an Op healer myself, I would never stop anyone from rolling that. They are great healers for PvE and PvP as long as you understand how to work them. They take a lot more skill to understand how to run but once you learn your rotation and how to run it, there's no more fun class than an Operative.

If you are always going to level up with a group then the only time you should really need a healer is if you decide to run flashpoints, since then you /will/ need a healer to keep you up. Other than that, you can all go damage and be fine. If you want to roll a sniper, then I'd talk to the person who is rolling a Merc, as they can also respec to healers as well so maybe he could switch specs if the group wants to run a flashpoint. Dont forget that Ops can switch to damage as well.

Overall, if you want to be a sniper because you like to hang back and like the idea of sniping from a distance, then by all means go for it. If the group wants to run flashpoints a lot, then you will need a healer and you might be able to convince the merc to spec heals just for that. If not, Op healers are great to level and play, so, in my opinion, you get a win-win no matter what ;). Hope this helps!!

As an Op healer myself, I would never stop anyone from rolling that. They are great healers for PvE and PvP as long as you understand how to work them. They take a lot more skill to understand how to run but once you learn your rotation and how to run it, there's no more fun class than an Operative.

If you are always going to level up with a group then the only time you should really need a healer is if you decide to run flashpoints, since then you /will/ need a healer to keep you up. Other than that, you can all go damage and be fine. If you want to roll a sniper, then I'd talk to the person who is rolling a Merc, as they can also respec to healers as well so maybe he could switch specs if the group wants to run a flashpoint. Dont forget that Ops can switch to damage as well.

Overall, if you want to be a sniper because you like to hang back and like the idea of sniping from a distance, then by all means go for it. If the group wants to run flashpoints a lot, then you will need a healer and you might be able to convince the merc to spec heals just for that. If not, Op healers are great to level and play, so, in my opinion, you get a win-win no matter what ;). Hope this helps!!

i couldn't agree more

As you progress, you will definitely need healers in your group. Either you or the merc will have to heal.

I'm not a very smart man; HoT healing confuses me. Ops is HoT. It also has an energy bar with variable recharge rates.

Merc is more straightforward front-loaded healing. I think it's heat management bar also have variable recharge rates.

But the best game mechanics in the world don't matter if that's not what you want to play. If you want to play Sniper, then play Sniper. Down the road, this will force the merc, the sole advanced class in your group that can possibly heal, to go heals when you guys keep wiping. You are an Imperial Agent. It is your specialty to force the hand of others without them realizing it.