Any well written SW books?

andrew_b_gross

Are there any SW books that are written at a level beyond normal schlock sci-fi series level? For example, years ago before she "made it", Vonda McIntyre wrote some Star Trek novels that were actually decent.

Note that I'm not asking which novels you liked, or which have cool stories, or neat lore, or whatever; I'm asking whether there are any that are actually well-written by the normal standards that you would apply to a non-genre novel.

Thanks in advance.

I have been reading all of the SW EU books through, working my way from the chronological beginning through. I just finished the Thrawn Trilogy.

So far, the best ones have been:

Darth Bane Trilogy by Drew Karpyshyn

Outbound Flight by Timothy Zahn

Republic Commando series by Karen Traviss

Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn

Books to avoid:

Red Harvest - one of the worst books I have read, period. Couldn't even finish it.

Anything by Troy Denning. He is a hack, and his books are utterly forgettable. Only read anything by him if you are reading a series that he wrote one of.

Are there any SW books that are written at a level beyond normal schlock sci-fi series level? For example, years ago before she "made it", Vonda McIntyre wrote some Star Trek novels that were actually decent.

Note that I'm not asking which novels you liked, or which have cool stories, or neat lore, or whatever; I'm asking whether there are any that are actually well-written by the normal standards that you would apply to a non-genre novel.

Thanks in advance.

I'm going to say to you what I said to everyone other book looker.

Find an author you like and follow his/her work.

In my case, I follow Stover, Zahn and, Stewart.

Because if you read by the timeline you won't get far and most likely won't like most books. Like me.

"Decieved" and "Revan" are also excellent and play heavy into the game's lore. "Fatal Alliance" was uuuggghhhhh... I couldn't keep reading it.

But read those two. "Decieved" even has the cinematic written in it - I listened to the music while I read. Epic.

"Decieved" and "Revan" are also excellent and play heavy into the game's lore. "Fatal Alliance" was uuuggghhhhh... I couldn't keep reading it.

But read those two. "Decieved" even has the cinematic written in it - I listened to the music while I read. Epic.

Fatal Alliance wasn't great.

Wow, I listened to the trailer while reading also. Had to speed read though

Indeed, the Thrawn Trilogy, and the Zahn Star Wars books overall.

The Thrawn books happen to be my favorites and are the reason i am a Star Wars fan. Imho they are better then the movies.

The books of Episode 1-6 are also worth a read, cause they fill some logic holes and give an overall better understanding of what is going on.

Drew Karpyshn is quite nice also.

You'll definitely have to check out book rewievs for SW EU books, there's so much crap its unbelievable.

I personally despise most of the expanded universe however there are some good books out there.

Anything by Timothy Zahn is good.

Shadows of the Empire is a competant filler between Ep V and Ep VI.

The first book of the Bane trilogy is excellent.

Avoid Kevin J Anderson like the plague. Everything by him reads like a decievingly well written fan fic. This is common amongst SW books but Anderson is the most well known writer of the series to do this (to me at least).

Also, I'm a fan of the cowboy side of Star Wars. They're a little on the campy side, but if you like Han Solo, I definitely recommend the Brian Daley Han Solo books from the 80s. I personally found them to be extremely fun books.

• 2 weeks later...