Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

Just saw the mention in "State of the Game #2". It's underwhelming, but at least it's something... and a step, albeit the smallest step possible, in the right direction. If nothing else, it's good to finally know what we can expect for Makeb.

The question is what, exactly, "[we] intend on pursuing more SGR options in the future" means. The previous paragraph seems to rule out companion romances, but I don't really care to speculate further.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like we got news, not 'good' news, but news, so each person can decide for themselves whether to be happy with the fact that there is news, or unhappy with what the news actually was. ZERO companion romances, because of the 'unexpectedly large' amount of time to do them...when it's as simple as getting rid of the gender checks. Obviously most people don't understand that, the casual gamer will believe them when they say things like that because they don't know any better, but the bottom line is they want to give us as little as possible, and for us to be grateful for it. Every other aspect of the game requires no gender check, all the storylines/cutscenes/quests etc. are exactly the same whether you're playing as a male or female, because there's no gender check. Thats the way it would work with the romances as well, if they wanted them to. They obviously don't.

For the second time in about two pages, that's patently false. BioWare needs to deal with the fact that a large portion of the playerbase is going to be completely unwilling to reroll to experience SGR content, and they're going to need to find a way to integrate the SGR content into existing companion content at various parts of the storyline.

That kind of comprehensive rework, rewrite, recode and re-record takes a hell of a lot longer than just tweaking a few gender variables and pronouns.

Edited by Narien

Only if you make the assumption that the first wave (Makeb's content) is going to be the only type of SGR content they're going to do.

It's sort of weirdly written, so it's uncertain if "I realize that we promised SGR to you guys and that many of you believed that this would be with a companion character" refers to SGR in general or SGR in Makeb, since that paragraph doesn't actually make any mention of Makeb and its content.

Makeb isn't brought up until the next, and considerably shorter, paragraph.

About time we heard something of an update! Thanks for finally sending some attention this way, Jeff :)

Link found here.

"....and that many of you believed that this would be with a companion character" This sounds uncomfortably close to saying "but it won't happen" :(

Yup. "We" had that crazy idea. How the heck did we ever think of that ? Romancing a companion ? Never happened before. Not in BW games at least.

It's sort of weirdly written, so it's uncertain if "I realize that we promised SGR to you guys and that many of you believed that this would be with a companion character" refers to SGR in general or SGR in Makeb, since that paragraph doesn't actually make any mention of Makeb and its content.

Makeb isn't brought up until the next, and considerably shorter, paragraph.

As I interpreted it (the entire statement):

"We realize you guys wanted companion SGRs, but looking at what needed to be done we realized it would be a very involved and time consuming process. Stuff happened (f2p et al), so we started with Makeb SGRs, but we're not turning out back on companion SGRs."

Notice he said "will take", not "would take" when talking about the companion SGRs (paragraph 1, sentence 3).

Only if you make the assumption that the first wave (Makeb's content) is going to be the only type of SGR content they're going to do.

Quote:

"Unfortunately, this [sGR with companions] will take a lot more work than we realized at the time and it (like some other pieces of content we talked about earlier in the year) has been delayed as we focused on the changes required to take the game Free-to-Play. As we have said in the past, allowing same gender romance is something we are very supportive of.

Secondly, I want to reveal today that we are adding SGR with some NPCs on Makeb and do intend on pursuing more SGR options in the future. More details to come!"

The bits of info in yellow do support the notion that SGRs with companions are still to come (ETA not yet known) and those updates may be not as small as some among us think they will /could be.

In the words of those who came before me, "WOOOOOOOOO!!"

While not the best news, it's at least something. And we now know that it'll take a while before there's any pre-50 content, so I can enjoy my characters without having to shut them away inside a rest zone indefinitely. I just hope they give us more character slots so that I can re-roll each character if/when SGRs are included in pre-50 content.

Quote:

"Unfortunately, this [sGR with companions] will take a lot more work than we realized at the time and it (like some other pieces of content we talked about earlier in the year) has been delayed as we focused on the changes required to take the game Free-to-Play. As we have said in the past, allowing same gender romance is something we are very supportive of.

Secondly, I want to reveal today that we are adding SGR with some NPCs on Makeb and do intend on pursuing more SGR options in the future. More details to come!"

The bits of info in yellow do support the notion that SGRs with companions are still to come (ETA not yet known) and those updates may be not as small as some among us think they will /could be.

Pretty much exactly what I was trying to communicate, except more succint, and color coded.

Uhuh.... yeah, no.

Maybe you should actually read what people are posting in this thread. Then again, you do, and interpret what people are saying so it fits your opinion of us. I have formed an opinion on you quite a while ago, that said, I don't expect anything else from you.

I have. And some of the people are "got the answer and meh" I never said all.

What? You want something more? Like maybe what would give those who want SGR the option of SGR, adds new content, while at the same time is likely to be used by everyone, and thusly, possibly profitable and worth putting it up front on the "to do list"?

New companion, available at level 15 (after you obtain your ship, found on first planet you visit after receiving your ship). Multiple skins to choose the appearance (possibly make the skins just human/cyborg as a catch all for everyone). Flirts/romances your character or you can just be friends (so people who just want the companion and romance someone else, can).

Obtain the companion through an instanced mission, find them lost at a datacron (see that, add a new datacron for people to pick up...my suggestion a +Presence datacron) you help them find their way back and they decide to stick around with you.

Besides just the usual little cutscenes when you obtain certain levels of affection, put in an instanced mission on every planet that deals with the companion. They don't have to be some big story driven mission. Could just be a simple little sidequest type mission (Spent time at a resort, it got hijacked by the exchange. Hanging out at a cantina, bar brawl breaks out.) thrown in with a few storyline missions.

Have the instanced missions give a good mission complete bonus, cut scenes give usual amount of xp bonus.

That would add new content/missions to help people along in their search for xp!

Make it free for Subscribers and F2Pers would have to purchase it per character. If possible, could give the character 2-3 personality types, but could just be one personality type you're stuck with, like with the other companions, this idea is just so people can have a choice in their storyline even more.

Voice actor could be some new, and likely cheaper (doesnt mean bad). The only problem I'm not sure of, is if it would be possible to insert them into the group scenes when all companions are seen together.

Could even link them to some of the favorites in their story.

A mako clone

for the female and

an ex of Kals

for the male. Mind you, those examples are just off the top of my head.

New missions. Customizable companion. A datacron. All that's left is deciding their class. I'd suggest a Blaster/Vibroknife DPS-Healer and DPS-Tanker stances.

Wow...

What a thing to wake up too...

Yeah, I'll be updating the FAQ later. Oh and to the poster that complimented me, thank you. I don't know if I did anything, but I do know I couldn't have done what I did alone.

We got an answer. It was Makeb, thankfully. I do wonder what took them so long, but oh well.

At least, from what I can tell, SGRs will be given to companions eventually.

Huh, and I was just saying a few days ago that I wanted Jeff to say something in a State of the Game Address.

Oh and to any and all concerned parties out there, no, this thread will not suddenly go away. It'll still be on topic; finding out and debating clarity for SGRs. However, you are more likely to see it slow down in General chat.

I wonder what the rest of the playerbase (that cares) thinks about this. I'm sure we'll find out shortly.

I'm taking a look now.

I didn't overlook anyone's PM, by the way, I'm just not awake yet. :D

Edited by natashina

Pretty much exactly what I was trying to communicate, except more succint, and color coded.
I have to apologize for the blatant attack on everyone's retina. I was looking for softer colors but then again I hate fiddling with the options when I feel I urgently want to post stuff. :p

I do agree with your assessment. While it's not what I expected, it leaves me hopeful for the future and for a more integrative approach to SGRs with whatever content that might still be coming to us down the road.

Quote:

Agreed, but the tone of what he's saying seems to just wildly fluctuate in that first paragraph. Perhaps Hickman just isn't a very good writer... which still makes it uncertain which implication is the intended one.

I do hope you're right. And I guess it's time for me to make up my mind regarding my Smuggler's romance arc...

Edited by JediMB

I have to apologize for the blatant attack on everyone's retina. I was looking for softer colors but then again I hate fiddling with the options when I feel I urgently want to post stuff. :p

Sometimes, a little bit of in-your-face clarity is what's required.

A cheap one-size fits all romance-toy isn't a solution.

Don't mind him. He's always concerned for us and I'm sure he knows best.

I for one am looking forward to seeing what the future brings. Bonus points in that thread for people being upset that BioWare dare make a statement about this. And that, "the entire update was for SGR."

Ugh, idiots. Especially one that posted about his outrage over SGRs three times now.

Besides, Jeff never said that SGR companions weren't going to happen, just not right now. I'm going back to speculating. I'm glad I don't have to send out any more emails. Well, provided that they keep us up to date after Makeb. And not make us wait over 10 months for it.

I don't care what some people say, this rocks.

Agreed, but the tone of what he's saying seems to just wildly fluctuate in that first paragraph. Perhaps Hickman just isn't a very good writer... which still makes it uncertain which implication is the intended one.

I know what you mean, and I agree that it's worded a little awkwardly. Still, the overall flow of it makes me optimistic.

Hickman knows we all were looking out for SGRs with companions, that's made quite clear.

Knowing that HE knows that is good. ;)

Quote:

You are overreading into it to see what you want:

Quote: Originally Posted by Jeff Hickman

Topic #4: Same Gender Romance: Any news on this front would be great…

Answer: First of all, I want to apologize that this (SGR) is taking so long to get in the game. I realize that we promised SGR to you guys and that many of you believed that this (again SGR) would be with a companion character. Unfortunately, this will take a lot more work than we realized (fully implementing SGR in whatever form they intend, without mentioning what they fully intend) at the time and it (like some other pieces of content we talked about earlier in the year) has been delayed as we focused on the changes required to take the game Free-to-Play. As we have said in the past, allowing same gender romance is something we are very supportive of.

Secondly, I want to reveal today that we are adding SGR with some NPCs on Makeb and do intend on pursuing more SGR options in the future. More details to come!

The yellow merely implies SGRs as a broad thing, not specifically to companions. While it is vague whether or not they intend to make romanceable SGR companions, it is certainly conceivable that they do. In another quote, I do believe it had been said (long ago) that current companions would not be made into SGRAs as it was sloppy storytelling. Between that original comment and the one today, there is no reason at all to expect this to change. "(We) do intend on pursuiing more SGR options in the future" is comfortably vague -- comfortable for them in that it is an out; it doesn't say whether it will be new companion arcs, more npcs or nothing more at all (budgetary reasons kept us from being able to pursue them further, etc).

I suspect that Makeb's SGR is more along the lines as the pseudo-romance that male troopers can have with Sgt Jaxo -- which was nicely done, imo, and made you care about Jaxo beyond just the standard NPC interaction.

As far as opening up SGFPs throughout the game, this would also seem unlikely, due to the amount of work involved. Whil you may argue "it is just a matter of flipping off a gender check", this would not be the case. If they are trying to attempt any sort of immersion in the SW universe within this game, you would have to expect many reactions to be of disgust, anger, etc as well to some being open to it; as racist as much of the empire and republic both are, and how society in SW is more a reflection of our own society about 20 years ago, just in a galaxy far far away, unlike ST's more utopian views. This would be an immense amount of work.

This is all just speculation, just as everyone else's posts are, though the likelihood of SGRA with current companions seems to be a solid no, as there has been 0 indication given of it happening -- based on past posts by BW, it will not happen with current companions.

Edited by Likomg

The yellow merely implies SGRs as a broad thing, not specifically to companions. While it is vague whether or not they intend to make romanceable SGR companions, it is certainly conceivable that they do. In another quote, I do believe it had been said (long ago) that current companions would not be made into SGRAs as it was sloppy storytelling. Between that original comment and the one today, there is no reason at all to expect this to change. "(We) do intend on pursuiing more SGR options in the future" is comfortably vague -- comfortable for them in that it is an out; it doesn't say whether it will be new companion arcs, more npcs or nothing more at all (budgetary reasons kept us from being able to pursue them further, etc).

There's another quote that supports the notion they were actually thinking about making SGR available for at least some of the existing companions. Whether that's still the case, we don't know, but we don't have any reason to rule that out yet.

And to be fair, you can't expect them to lay out a full SGR implementation agenda in a State of the Game that, after all, has some other stuff to deal with as well. Hence the "More details to come." part.

Haha, the entire update was for SGR... I thought there was a lot of good info (albeit somewhat cryptic) in the 3 other topics that came before it that made me happy. Though I do really feel bad for the APAC people, I think they've possibly had it the worst and they deserve some action.

Haha, the entire update was for SGR... I thought there was a lot of good info (albeit somewhat cryptic) in the 3 other topics that came before it that made me happy. Though I do really feel bad for the APAC people, I think they've possibly had it the worst and they deserve some action.

It's off topic, but I completely agree. The APAC servers need some help badly. Other than addressing SGRs, I wanted them to address the APAC server issues. Those poor players get tons of lip service and no real help. :( With my hours, most of my gaming friends over the years have been from NZ, Aussie Land or Across the Pond.

Meanwhile, on topic...yep, I'm still jazzed. :D

Now the fun part begins again: What NPCs in various planets do you think might give a SGR flirt? A real one; not like with cases such as the dancing girls or the "ladies" in Nar Shadaa.

I could see Darth Lachris (Balmorra) giving a SGR flirt. She seems far more attracted to power than anything else. Forget homosexuality or bisexuality, the Sith have got "power-sexuality," down to a science. :p

Oh and I'm still hoping for a Vette romance eventually. I still enjoy speculating on who might be available too.

Edited by natashina

Need coffee and gonna get my DA:O on, but Lent, here's the quote you were referring to. This is just one of the now three big quotes from BW-Austin about SGRs. I count the other Erickson quote and now today's update:

When we do this, we wanna do it right, we wanna do it with the characters that make sense, that we always knew that we wanted to do it for those, so you guys know and we've talked about it before, it ended up being a budget and scheduling issue. There are romance arcs that we wanted to do that didn't make it in the game, we knew which characters (I'm not gonna tell you)... [some audience joking about characters] So the short answer is, it's never changed, it's still coming, it's coming when full story comes, and when is full story coming? This year. So we are still on track.

Here's a link to the Daniel Erickson quote from the Guild Summit. I'll post the

There's another quote that supports the notion they were actually thinking about making SGR available for at least some of the existing companions. Whether that's still the case, we don't know, but we don't have any reason to rule that out yet.

And to be fair, you can't expect them to lay out a full SGR implementation agenda in a State of the Game that, after all, has some other stuff to deal with as well. Hence the "More details to come." part.

Which can't be 100% ruled out, I'm sure, as some companions do lend themselves to it. Quinn always seemed to, Kaliyo actually mentions a lesbian relationship in her past during the IA arc (though I cannot recall if it was part of a greater scam she was working at that time in her life or not), DS Jaesa would seem likely (based on the manner in which she turn -- just all gungho and wanting to experience everything there is to experience) but LS Jaesa I do not think would (as she is more about the tenets of the light side of the force, hence no OGR there, either).

Sadly for you (based solely on your sig lol), Corso would be highly unlikely imo. First, he does not seem to fit the mold; his boyishness is more of an "aw, shucks" country-boy type, not a bicurious type -- as demonstrated in his OGR behavior, as well. And with this romance, in particular, there would be a *lot* of work restructering the entire romance arc, rather than just flipping a gender switch. :p