Gearing Companion Question

sithgreyguard

The only reason to ever get (companion named) gear is for the look. They are fully able to use any armor for their class type. If the item is class restricted, companions can't use it even if they are the same class.

For example: Boots that say "trooper only". Even if your companion is a trooper, he can't use it. Any class specific item, they cannot use.

Luckily most items don't state any specific class. That is why a jedi can wear trooper armor or vice versa.

also, your companions can't use items from lightside/darkside vendors as they don't gain light/dark.

also, your companions can't use items from lightside/darkside vendors as they don't gain light/dark.

This is wrong, as long as it does not state a class on it, they can use it. Same with the social gear. As long as you qualify for the LS/DS/SP portion, they can wear it.

Can my companions use any armor and weapons from gtn?

Absolutely yes, and it's the only real way of gearing them up (if you don't craft), as rewarded companion-only stuff is usually not that good in stats. And personaly I found most of it rather ugly. Custom companion-only weapons may serve you well, however, but there a few.

This is wrong, as long as it does not state a class on it, they can use it. Same with the social gear. As long as you qualify for the LS/DS/SP portion, they can wear it.

nope. Not on my toon. It was only about a month ago that I tried. I bought both LS vendor item trooper boots for Elara Dorne and she couldn't wear it. Also, I bought several pieces of "trooper" specific gear that she couldn't wear.

Unless they stealthed changed it within the last month. I wouldn't waste thousands of credits to try again.

nope. Not on my toon. It was only about a month ago that I tried. I bought both LS vendor item trooper boots for Elara Dorne and she couldn't wear it. Also, I bought several pieces of "trooper" specific gear that she couldn't wear.

Unless they stealthed changed it within the last month. I wouldn't waste thousands of credits to try again.

Works for my characters. I have a Dark V saber on Jaesa and a few other dark pieces on her as well.

I bought both LS vendor item trooper boots for Elara Dorne and she couldn't wear it. Also, I bought several pieces of "trooper" specific gear that she couldn't wear.

She could not wear it because she is NOT a trooper (yes, I know it's strange), not because of LS\DS or anything like that. Even more - if you loot companion's "class" token from boss in HM - you still can buy an item and give it to companion, even if you're a different class.

E.g. I got offhand trooper-specific token once as no one needed it anyway, and my Corso now has his Columi shield generator. Not sure about how sets work though, afaik - they give stats but not set bonuses, and you can equip them to companions anyway.

I am dark 5, and bought some boots with a dark 3 requirement, and then equipped them on Broonmark no problem. I did the same with some gloves ages ago on my PT, giving them to Torian. So I know it works. Maybe it was a LS vendor issue, i don't know. I know class specific doesn't work though, as Torian, Blizz, and Skadge all so no thank you to my old BH armor.

Some colors of crystals used to be faction tied (LS/DS), but that changed recently. So now it is only a matter of using the one with the better, and higher value, stat.

Anything in their armor proficiency (open your skill book with P) that doesn't say "Requires Class:---". They can wear all of the tier pve/pvp gear. Any social armor sets that you meet the social level for, the only thing they can't wear are class restricted and armor that is beyond their normal type. (medium, heavy) Edited by DLSilence

Companions are their own class.

Kira Carsen's class is "Kira Carsen", which is why they cant wear class specific gear.

As far as light/dark, I always presumed that they just defaulted to what your character is.. Like with lord scourge, I couldnt give his sabers red crystals because I cant use them, but was able to give him Blue ones.

Before i go spend the money can Vette wear something from the republic side that is not class restricted? i want to give her a smuggler -ish look.

She can wear anything that doesn't say "requires smuggler"

For example, my Mako has the full rakata healing set, with offhand, columi crafted implants & earpiece, and the best pistol I can find w/ rakata mods & crystal in it. She looks exactly like an Operative healer (except for the pistol).

If you can find armor on the gtn or neutral gtn that have the right look, and aren't class restricted, she can wear them.

Before i go spend the money can Vette wear something from the republic side that is not class restricted? i want to give her a smuggler -ish look.

You can't, even if you pass rep-side armors to imp. Armor model depends on the "side" of that one who wears it. And same things may look hell different on imp and rep (like, rep has medium headband thing and imp - medium full closed helmet, and it's SAME item).

And there's no way (currently) for a smuggler to have any of IA's outfits (and vice versa, and same for jedi-sith, bh-trooper). Though, some are more then welcome, some of imp "mirror" items are pretty cool.

She could not wear it because she is NOT a trooper (yes, I know it's strange), not because of LS\DS or anything like that. Even more - if you loot companion's "class" token from boss in HM - you still can buy an item and give it to companion, even if you're a different class.

E.g. I got offhand trooper-specific token once as no one needed it anyway, and my Corso now has his Columi shield generator. Not sure about how sets work though, afaik - they give stats but not set bonuses, and you can equip them to companions anyway.

You can also gear your companion in a PvP gear.

My Guardian didn't have any use for the constantly growing stack of Centurion commendations I kept getting, so I ended up giving Doc a full set of Smuggler PvP gear.

• 8 months later...

My Corso has the 4 set bonus, he only takes advantage of the 4 piece bonus which raises his meele, range etc defense by 2%.