Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Instead of merging servers, how about a free xfer period and re-purpose an NA server?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Instead of merging servers, how about a free xfer period and re-purpose an NA server?

xordevoreaux
09.17.2018 , 04:09 PM | #1
First, full disclosure:
I'm a PVE type with all my mains on Star Forge but -- having 117 toons across four accounts scattered across all servers -- I'm also an altoholic on stearoids and sort of do a little bit of everything except roleplay, but I did spend four months in a moderately demanding SWTOR roleplay guild on Bergeron Colony (forget the name).

So:

PVP types want to be all on one server so their queue pops will be whatever they're going to be.
Roleplayers don't want to be merged because then they're dealing with the Toxic™ PVPrs.
PVE players, if forum threads mean anything, fall into both the merge and don't merge camps.
Players of all stripes worry about name collisions, etc., and all the side-effects of merging.

Here's a slightly different idea than just merging servers:

1. Open up free character transfers for 90 days.
2. Re-brand Star Forge as the PVE/PVP North American server.
3. Strip all PVP functionality from Satele Shan -- don't even make PVP possible -- and relabel it the Roleplay server.

Result:
Having no way to conduct PVP on Satele Shan, but having free transfers, the PVP types will migrate to SF.
People on SF who have no desire whatsoever to see a horde of PVP players can freely migrate to SS.

We would wind up with this tiny, isolated, sub-group of roleplayers left completely unmolested by the PVP types on SS, and a "merged" population for the PVP types on the other (once PVPrs freely migrate to Star Forge).
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/F4XbCd
In English, a leading X on a word is pronounced like a Z. (zorDEVoro).

IoNonSoEVero
09.17.2018 , 05:27 PM | #2
This isn't a bad idea but I'd flip the servers. Star Forge was the server that Ebon Hawk merged to, and that was the big RP server. Satele Shan was the one Harbinger merged with and IMHO that is probably best for PvP and such.

xordevoreaux
09.17.2018 , 05:34 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by IoNonSoEVero View Post
This isn't a bad idea but I'd flip the servers. Star Forge was the server that Ebon Hawk merged to, and that was the big RP server. Satele Shan was the one Harbinger merged with and IMHO that is probably best for PvP and such.
It doesn't affect me either way, but SF has been the growing go-to server for PVP types for a while now, Harbinger's history no longer applies, and BC had a very large RP community, so I imagine everyone will stake out their interests as to what server gets the non-PVP axe.

cyrusramsey
09.17.2018 , 05:48 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by xordevoreaux View Post
It doesn't affect me either way, but SF has been the growing go-to server for PVP types for a while now, Harbinger's history no longer applies, and BC had a very large RP community, so I imagine everyone will stake out their interests as to what server gets the non-PVP axe.
The migration from RPers from Begeren to Ebon Hawk was already a thing, and it seems like the Harbinger crowd chased away the remainder to Star Forge by now. Satele Shan is just the server now where people that chased away anyone not like them complain about how dead the server is.

At any rate, I would always be against a free transfer period as opposite of a merge, because being unable to take along my guild and being guaranteed to lose dozens of names on transferring means it's never a realistic option for me, and I would stay put, only to see everyone else abandon ship.

Merge or don't merge, but don't kill off one server without one. That's what your idea would come down to.

xordevoreaux
09.17.2018 , 05:55 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by cyrusramsey View Post
The migration from RPers from Begeren to Ebon Hawk was already a thing, and it seems like the Harbinger crowd chased away the remainder to Star Forge by now. Satele Shan is just the server now where people that chased away anyone not like them complain about how dead the server is.

At any rate, I would always be against a free transfer period as opposite of a merge, because being unable to take along my guild and being guaranteed to lose dozens of names on transferring means it's never a realistic option for me, and I would stay put, only to see everyone else abandon ship.

Merge or don't merge, but don't kill off one server without one. That's what your idea would come down to.
My idea would almost kill it but not quite. I am not an authority on the size of the current RP community, and I dare any player to say that he or she is, because we really don't know, but at least that near-dead server would be a nice go-to place for the role play types never to be molested again by the PVP types. The role players would have their own little cocoon, along with anyone else not wishing to be around PVP types at all.

cyrusramsey
09.17.2018 , 06:10 PM | #6
My idea would almost kill it but not quite. I am not an authority on the size of the current RP community, and I dare any player to say that he or she is, because we really don't know, but at least that near-dead server would be a nice go-to place for the role play types never to be molested again by the PVP types. The role players would have their own little cocoon, along with anyone else not wishing to be around PVP types at all.
Except most RP players like to do more things than only ever RP, and people would still be forced to either be where they don't want to be or give up a lot of things that they worked for.

This is probably the most horrible-sounding idea I've heard in years, for someone like me, on many levels, and I pray that nothing like this will happen.

Totemdancer
09.17.2018 , 06:18 PM | #7
Star Forge is by far the default RP server in NA, if not the game. It would make more sense repurposing SF as the RP server.

Totemdancer
09.17.2018 , 06:19 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by cyrusramsey View Post
Except most RP players like to do more things than only ever RP, and people would still be forced to either be where they don't want to be or give up a lot of things that they worked for.

This is probably the most horrible-sounding idea I've heard in years, for someone like me, on many levels, and I pray that nothing like this will happen.
I agree they shouldn’t strip out the pvp eliment.

IoNonSoEVero
09.17.2018 , 06:41 PM | #9
As cyrusramsey said, AFAIK there was a fairly large exodus from BC to Ebon Hawk because people were very upset about being merged with Harbinger. So a lot of the BC RP community is on SF now.

I would wager that PvP on Star Forge is growing because it's the larger server, but I would still say that it's where RPers are.

Elessara
09.17.2018 , 07:10 PM | #10
Wouldn't removing all possibility of PVP make it harder to RP some things? A bar fight, having a Jedi and Sith meet and decide to do battle ... they wouldn't even be able to make use of the new Rishi stronghold.

Also, as someone else posted, just because someone likes to RP doesn't mean that's all they like to do. You'd basically be forcing people to have characters on one server for RP purposes only and then have to switch to another server to do other things - which would make it a little difficult to RP on the fly.