Star Wars Rebels: Exclusive Clip

Beniboybling

[/color]

I thought I'd post this because it was actually quite an entertaining sequence and probably the biggest chunk of footage we've seen so far. I think I could see myself growing accustomed to the animation, it looks just as finely tuned as it was towards the tail end of TCW, the design is little bright, soft and simplistic, but the animation looks a lot more refined.

I also like the humor, I was a put a little on the fence by the trailers but this clip is gives me high hopes for the show.

Honestly I am hopeing it has more of an over arcing story and less episodic.

That's the one thing I didn't care to much for so far in Clone Wars. Its very episodic feeling with a few story arcs thrown in, but for the most part you can watch almost any episode in almost any order with a few exceptions, because they essentially are all short stories with the same characters used and that's it.

I would prefer if it was more of an epic telling one long tale rather then a bunch of short ones all containing the same characters.

I get the feeling from this clip (especially seeing it'll be on Disney Channel XD) that this series is going to be heavily aimed towards a very young audience. That kinda pisses me off mainly because that's the very reason I refused to watch TCW until it came out on Netflix.

It took TCW 2-3 seasons to get a tone that could be appreciated by an adult audience imo. By the look of this series so far I'm thinking a similar situation might take place, if they even care about the adult audience at all.

Now don't get me wrong, I understand Star Wars is historically a more family-friendly franchise than many, but kids series lack in depth what clone wars seasons 3-5 (and 6 I guess) had and for the most part.

Oh, and the retcons, I'm fearing those like the plague but we'll see.

I get the feeling from this clip (especially seeing it'll be on Disney Channel XD) that this series is going to be heavily aimed towards a very young audience. That kinda pisses me off mainly because that's the very reason I refused to watch TCW until it came out on Netflix.

It took TCW 2-3 seasons to get a tone that could be appreciated by an adult audience imo. By the look of this series so far I'm thinking a similar situation might take place, if they even care about the adult audience at all.

Now don't get me wrong, I understand Star Wars is historically a more family-friendly franchise than many, but kids series lack in depth what clone wars seasons 3-5 (and 6 I guess) had and for the most part.

I honestly don't see much of a different between Season 1 and 2 versus 3-5 the only difference I have been seeing is they actually have more over arcing stories in 3-6, less episodic mini stories more character development and actual plots that move forward kind of thing.

I disagree, from this single clip see little difference at least in terms of humor (which is all we saw here) that in the later seasons of Star Wars and honestly I feel it is far to earlier to judge. Saying its going to be "heavily" geared towards a "very young" audience seems in itself laughable if you have experience with actual kids shows.

Nor should you pretend your a spokesperson for any one group, different people like different things and I know for a fact that many adults enjoyed the earlier seasons of the clones wars as well as the later series as well as many age groups in-between. I think its wide fan base speaks volumes about its ability to appeal across the board.

Of course some people will fall through the cracks but I think approaching it with a more open mind would help. IMO this clip here is very reminiscent of scenes from the Millennium Falcon in the Original Trilogy, its a good vein.

Honestly I am hopeing it has more of an over arcing story and less episodic.

That's the one thing I didn't care to much for so far in Clone Wars. Its very episodic feeling with a few story arcs thrown in, but for the most part you can watch almost any episode in almost any order with a few exceptions, because they essentially are all short stories with the same characters used and that's it.

I would prefer if it was more of an epic telling one long tale rather then a bunch of short ones all containing the same characters.

But on the other hand it meant the series was able to explore a wide range of characters, locales, species, events etc. which is something I'll miss as we're unlikely to see such a wide scope in Rebels.

I disagree, from this single clip see little difference at least in terms of humor (which is all we saw here) that in the later seasons of Star Wars and honestly I feel it is far to earlier to judge. Saying its going to be "heavily" geared towards a "very young" audience seems in itself laughable if you have experience with actual kids shows.

Nor should you pretend your a spokesperson for any one group, different people like different things and I know for a fact that many adults enjoyed the earlier seasons of the clones wars as well as the later series as well as many age groups in-between. I think its wide fan base speaks volumes about its ability to appeal across the board.

Of course some people will fall through the cracks but I think approaching it with a more open mind would help. IMO this clip here is very reminiscent of scenes from the Millennium Falcon in the Original Trilogy, its a good vein.[

Whoa, whoa Beni... I did mention in there that what I said was my opinion, don't go chewing me out over it. :rolleyes:

Yes it is early to judge and these are merely my initial feelings (kinda the point of a thread like this so just chill...), I could be wrong and will be absolutely thrilled if I am. And I don't trust disney not to make something more kid friendly, I just don't. Again we'll see, but you can't just dismiss my concerns offhand as if you have more experience with "kids programming" than I. You honestly have no clue.

I never implied I was a spokesperson for anyone and of course there are people who liked the first two seasons, but I can pull out a few dozen adults (and kids for that matter) of my own who weren't fond of it. Like you said, different people... Doesn't mean the folks you talk to or the ones I talk to are necessarily a majority so you can drop that shtick I never claimed to be speaking for anyone else.

And if by reminiscent, you mean cartoony (not exactly in a good way, I'm looking at that astromech) stylized very simplistic space fighting in 30 seconds which is more than reminiscent but practically a rip-off (or homage if you'd prefer) to that battle you reference?

I'm not trying to fight you here and I see your point, I just don't see this all in the same light as you do. I think we can agree to disagree here right? :p

Whoa, whoa Beni... I did mention in there that what I said was my opinion, don't go chewing me out over it. :rolleyes:

Yes it is early to judge and these are merely my initial feelings (kinda the point of a thread like this so just chill...), I could be wrong and will be absolutely thrilled if I am. And I don't trust disney not to make something more kid friendly, I just don't. Again we'll see, but you can't just dismiss my concerns offhand as if you have more experience with "kids programming" than I. You honestly have no clue.

I never implied I was a spokesperson for anyone and of course there are people who liked the first two seasons, but I can pull out a few dozen adults (and kids for that matter) of my own who weren't fond of it. Like you said, different people... Doesn't mean the folks you talk to or the ones I talk to are necessarily a majority so you can drop that shtick I never claimed to be speaking for anyone else.

And if by reminiscent, you mean cartoony (not exactly in a good way, I'm looking at that astromech) stylized very simplistic space fighting in 30 seconds which is more than reminiscent but practically a rip-off (or homage if you'd prefer) to that battle you reference?

I'm not trying to fight you here and I see your point, I just don't see this all in the same light as you do. I think we can agree to disagree here right? :p

Sorry, but when people criticize TCW I get

Anyway its just that I don't feel that this clip is in anyway "kiddy" if we are considering the OT to be "adult" and honestly in comparison to other shows on Disney... it ain't kiddy.

Trust me I have a younger sister, you won't believe the stuff that's

Oh the horror. Honestly, I have no doubt that this will be one of, if not the, most adult show on Disney XD as it was with CN. But maybe that's not saying much.

But come on it was funny! And I'm nearly an adult! Honest! :p

Anyway like I said the visuals i.e. cartoony graphics, colours etc. leave much to be desired. But lets be honest that can and may be completely exclusive of the actual tone, dialogue, stories etc. of the show, its just an art style. I was talking about the actual sequence, the dialogue, the character etc. the humor was reminiscent of the OT.

And I suppose, still you may want to invest in some electrical insulation. :jawa_wink:

Of course some people will fall through the cracks but I think approaching it with a more open mind would help. IMO this clip here is very reminiscent of scenes from the Millennium Falcon in the Original Trilogy, its a good vein.But on the other hand it meant the series was able to explore a wide range of characters, locales, species, events etc. which is something I'll miss as we're unlikely to see such a wide scope in Rebels.

Not neccisarrily, I can name several shows and cartoons that had a central plot that had excellent world building, along with good character development and a good easy to follow plot. Avatar the Last airbender, Digimon Adventure, Full Metal Alchemist. You can have a cohesive plot and still explore all kinds of worlds. Those that cant are inferior story tellers, and thus to me make slightly inferior shows.

I hate to always use Avatar the Last airbender in everything, it was just very well done as a fan of animation is probably my favorite american cartoon. Honestly..... I have just gotten to where maul was brought back to life...... and truthfully any darn thing that has to do with Dathomir just seems to piss me off. I dont like the idea of Night brothers they didnt exist originally, none of the witches chant to do simple force powers which i think is totally bull, none of them are human when last i checked they were all supposed to be human. None of the rest of it bothers me though, like the undead thing I thought was awesome. The Force is a mysterious thing i like seeing how they can make new and inventive ways to implement it. None Jedi and Sith are the perfect ones to explore that with I love it. Oh... and MAUL :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: MAUL

1:47-2:23

Also I like the colors, why cant it be "adult/ family" and be bright and colorful. Why cant it be an awesome action adventure series where the characters go through out the galaxy dodging the imperials and recruiting people into the rebel alliance. Why cant we have color, honestly I am tired of 2 things with shows. 1. Sci Fi movies with all kinds of lens flare cus it makes it look "sci-fiey" and 2. Worlds with nothing but dark colors, Dark Red, and browns and, greys like there is no life in things. I want it to have some grit and feel to it, but having real grit and feel requires color. Go outside look at a tree, in any time except winter and enjoy its vibrant colors. Why can we not have colorful things. Since when was it a sin to have something pleasing to the eye to look at.

Edited by tunewalker

Not neccisarrily, I can name several shows and cartoons that had a central plot that had excellent world building, along with good character development and a good easy to follow plot. Avatar the Last airbender, Digimon Adventure, Full Metal Alchemist. You can have a cohesive plot and still explore all kinds of worlds. Those that cant are inferior story tellers, and thus to me make slightly inferior shows.

Best. Show. Ever.

I find it funny how many ancient RL names they use ... "Sabine" is known from ancient Rome, Hera is the name of the wife of ancient Greek God Zeus ...

I'm going to try not to go full rage that all you know Hera for is "Wife of Zeus"

Best. Show. Ever.

It had color at times, it knew when to have bright colors and when to have Dark Shadowy colors and such.... still not a show for kids, I dont care what any one says I am not showing an 8 year old Full metal.... a 10 year old though :D

It had color at times, it knew when to have bright colors and when to have Dark Shadowy colors and such.... still not a show for kids, I dont care what any one says I am not showing an 8 year old Full metal.... a 10 year old though :D

For sure. And that's why I love it. It was absolutely brilliant in everything it did.

I hate to always use Avatar the Last airbender in everything, it was just very well done as a fan of animation is probably my favorite american cartoon. Honestly..... I have just gotten to where maul was brought back to life...... and truthfully any darn thing that has to do with Dathomir just seems to piss me off. I dont like the idea of Night brothers they didnt exist originally, none of the witches chant to do simple force powers which i think is totally bull, none of them are human when last i checked they were all supposed to be human. None of the rest of it bothers me though, like the undead thing I thought was awesome. The Force is a mysterious thing i like seeing how they can make new and inventive ways to implement it. None Jedi and Sith are the perfect ones to explore that with I love it. Oh... and MAUL :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: MAUL

1:47-2:23

Also I like the colors, why cant it be "adult/ family" and be bright and colorful. Why cant it be an awesome action adventure series where the characters go through out the galaxy dodging the imperials and recruiting people into the rebel alliance. Why cant we have color, honestly I am tired of 2 things with shows. 1. Sci Fi movies with all kinds of lens flare cus it makes it look "sci-fiey" and 2. Worlds with nothing but dark colors, Dark Red, and browns and, greys like there is no life in things. I want it to have some grit and feel to it, but having real grit and feel requires color. Go outside look at a tree, in any time except winter and enjoy its vibrant colors. Why can we not have colorful things. Since when was it a sin to have something pleasing to the eye to look at.

1. Different strokes for different folks. There are plenty of shows out there that use stand-alone episodic narratives where the characters remain static, and they are quite successfully in my opinion. While other shows seem to prefer a single progressive narrative. The static aspect of the period they were working with however kinda demanded this.

Both have their merits and their flaws in my opinion, and neither seems superior to the other. I don't see how however that focus on a small group of characters and a singular storyline could have created as much breadth in everything, especially perspective, as TCW did. I doubt Rebels will give as much insight into the villains for example.

2. I never understood why people got frustrated by retcons that improves on the universe, Maul is one of my most favourite characters in TCW and in my opinion the arcs he was in made Season 4 and 5. Matter of opinion I guess.

I mean Dathomir didn't used to be there before, its there now! The galaxy is constantly expanding and evolving.

3. That's what I was saying to Star, but colours create atmosphere and these bright and soft colours IMO create the wrong atmosphere for Star Wars as a whole which is meant to be a "used" universe and especially for the "Dark Times" we are exploring. I much prefer the more dirty, less bright looking colours and textures used in TCW.

There is also a distinct difference between bright and rich colours. The OT was not filled with bright colours, but it was still rich. The PT was too bright and shiny in my opinion, and created the wrong atmosphere.

EDIT: Actually I think its more the lack of texture than the colours themselves that are the problem here. TCW is filled with bright colours just like these, but they have a lot more texture so they don't "pop" in the same way.

Edited by Beniboybling

2. I never understood why people got frustrated by retcons that improves on the universe, Maul is one of my most favourite characters in TCW and in my opinion the arcs he was in made Season 4 and 5. Matter of opinion I guess.

I mean Dathomir didn't used to be there before, its there now! The galaxy is constantly expanding and evolving.

To me him surviving was stupid period. HISHE did a perfect rendition with him making fun of the fact that he lived when he just shouldnt have. They could have done a story line with some one else and still made it work. They did that to get people into it for the Darth maul oh so awesome character all the little kiddies loved.

Dathomir was there before, it was better before. The Galaxy is now smaller and de-evolved.

Edited by tunewalker