WTB, w/ coins, alternate ani's for Consular project and throw - no more junkyard jedi

Dyvim

Except beginners in PvP literally won't know what hit them...

I understand your concern for PvP beginners, but there is already a solution. Your chat window tells you what power you were hit with, and the damage amount.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I quite like that animation. Feels a lot more powerful than pebbles...

Except beginners in PvP literally won't know what hit them...

Anyway, just my two pennies for using existing animations for TKT.

Yes, but you are still throwing rocks and junk...LIKE A SITH would...and the animation is even more ridiculous because you magically conjure the stuff up out of the ground, which gets stupid fast, when you are on say a starship and you are pulling up rocks up out of the deck plating in rapid fire fashion, like project storm does...

So to recap, it is a SITH move if anything, and the animation is a craptasm of poor implementation. "Looking powerful" does not compensate for these things as you are breaking the fundamental lore of the IP (making jedi do what we see Sith do) and doing it in a ridiculous fashion. I could come up with an animation that dropped Godzilla on your head that would look incredibly "powerful", but would have just as little to do with what we expect from jedi in star wars...

And beginners in PvP never know what is hitting them anyway...they will learn., its not like we all haven't been there at some time and moved past it anyway.

Edited by Dyvim

As far as offering alternate animations and visual effects via the Cartel Market is concerned, only time will tell. Your message has been passed onto the team responsible for Cartel Market updates, and if it is possible, then you might see those options appear in the future.

Cool, the request made it to the devs via the Class Representatives for the Sage. Here's hoping something comes of it.

Now that the word has been passed to the CM team from the Sage question, maybe it's time to open the suggestions to a broader range of abilities, including AC specific moves or other classes' moves to show to the CM team the real potential of proposing alternate animations, and that it can be applied to most if not all ACs in the game (in case they're about to refuse because it's Consular restricted for now)... don't you think ?

Just a glimpse at a list of other abilities where I'd like to see changes :

- Force Breach (Shadow)

- Force Lightning (Inquisitor)

- Overload (Inquisitor)

- Spike (Assassin)

- Impale (Juggernaut)

- Scatter (Juggernaut)

- Annihilate (Marauder)

- Rupture (Marauder)

- Unload (Bounty Hunter)

- Storm (Vanguard)

(Some propositions in mind if I get the green light from OP or if new thread done)

Edited by Altheran

Now that the word has been passed to the CM team from the Sage question, maybe it's time to open the suggestions to a broader range of abilities, including AC specific moves or other classes' moves to show to the CM team the real potential of proposing alternate animations, and that it can be applied to most if not all ACs in the game (in case they're about to refuse because it's Consular restricted for now)... don't you think ?

Just a glimpse at a list of other abilities where I'd like to see changes :

- Force Breach (Shadow)

- Force Lightning (Inquisitor)

- Overload (Inquisitor)

- Spike (Assassin)

- Impale (Juggernaut)

- Scatter (Juggernaut)

- Annihilate (Marauder)

- Rupture (Marauder)

- Unload (Bounty Hunter)

- Storm (Vanguard)

(Some propositions in mind if I get the green light from OP or if new thread done)

Yeah, somewhere in the thread, it was mentioned that it would make sense for them to gradually rollout a couple of alternate animations for each AC class, over time...

I would just start a new thread for each basic class, covering both its ACs...that should be manageable and let players focus enough....

Edit: Updating original post to be more concise.

This proposal is for alternate animations, purchasable with Cartel Coins, for two consular skills, project and telekinetic throw. The underlying functions and stats for these skills would remain UNCHANGED. With the mirror design paradigm of this game in mind, where identical or like powers simply had new animations slapped on top of them in order to mirror classes, the concept of alternate animations seems entrenched into this game already. Project and Throw currently have snicker-worthy junk, rocks and pebbles animations that strike many as thoroughly un-jedi like and unpowerful. Moreover, in contrast with the lightning on the sith side, the coolness factor gap is huge. There have been complaints and dissatisfaction with these junk animations and the theme it creates for jedi consular's since the earliest days of beta.

With all the alternate animations for things like out-of combat rejuvenation, the cartel market is the perfect place to allow players to customize the look and feel of their jedi AWAY from a junk tossing, pebble throwing fred flintsone, WoW-ish earth shaman reject. Also, people that are happy with the current animations could keep them.

While there are MANY possibilities, I have limited my proposed replacements to ani’s that are already in the game, in some way, shape or form. I am also trying to focus on canon abilities that are more light side oriented than junk throwing, which we saw every sith do in the movies, much more than jedi, and more than sith lightning even.

The proposed replacements:

Project:

1) Force Burst: The Inquisitor companion, Ashara Zavros, a fallen padawan, has a skill called Force Burst. It is the best mirror animation for Shock I have seen in the game. It is instant, has a quick hand gesture, and has no projectile...the target is hit with force energy...almost exactly like what shock does....it is described in the tooltip as "A powerful burst of force energy that deals kinetic damage...". Here is a photo that compares the two, Force Burst and Shock, side by side:

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8731/forceburstvsshock.jpg

2) Electric Judgment (aka Emerald Fire) - green, more concentrated sparcs or arcs of lightning would be very cool, and are canon (but rare) for jedi. Nice analog for Shock. Picture a more concentrated arc...more focused. A green colored version of the Trooper's Ion Pulse, for example. Canon reference to it for info… http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Electric_Judgment

"A Jedi sufficiently strong in the Force can be trained to produce a facsimile, but not true Sith lightning." ―Darth Plagueis

Concept for what it could look like as an arc:

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q639/knox1709/EmeraldArc.jpg"]http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q639/knox1709/EmeraldArc.jpg[/url]

3) Saber Dance: Replace project with a saber throw on steroids...motion blurred and bad ***....consulars are the ones that can throw things and yet they can’t throw one of the MOST deadly things in the universe, that happens to ALREADY be in THEIR HAND - their lightsaber???? People have long complained that cons/sages use their saber almost NONE. Well here is a chance to change that.... That makes sense...also, a double-bladed throw for shadows would rock. Also, if the devs were worried about distinguishing it from other saber throws, again, this should be more refined....so let them throw the hilt and ignite the blade at impact, or some other such affect of being able to remotely ignite the blade. Would look awesome and distinguish it from other throws. We saw Yoda impale a clone with his saber in ROTS, so imagine a saber throw where the consular ignites the blade as it reaches the target and impales the target with it, then the con pulls the saber back to his hand....nice concept, as lore based as it gets.

In fact, it is in this game already, again, as a cut scene in the Esseles, except it is done by the sith end boss that throws and chokes the trooper up against a wall before he throws the saber, ignites it as it strikes the trooper to impale him, then yanks it back...so subtract the choking and sith face paint, and you get the idea.

4) FORCE TREMOR: I knew there was a reason I liked the name Force Tremor...it is ALREADY in the GAME....AGAIN. This time Kira has it, and it looks very good. I think it is a PBAoE, but the animation itself would be AWESOME as a retooled Project replacement. Kira makes a very cool Hand motion, with force effects, where she reaches up into the air, then slams her hand down...and then the ground quakes and splits as the affected target has particles around him....here is a pic of the start and the end to refresh people's memories:

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q639/knox1709/ForceTremor.jpg"]http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q639/knox1709/ForceTremor.jpg[/url]

Telekinetic Throw (pebblestorm):

1) Force (Burst) Throw: It turns out that the sith side is full of all the good jedi ani's...the Agent has a companion named Raina Temple...and she is force sensitive...and she ALSO has a power called Force Burst...with ANOTHER animation, different from Ashara's. And this animation is exactly what some people had envisioned when suggesting a pebblestorm, err Throw, replacement...it needs to be looped to pulse as a channeled effect, right now it is instant. The particles in the animation could also stand to be more substantial, or beefed up....

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/1658/forceburst.jpg

2) Emerald Fire: (version of Electric Judgment) There is some variance in the idea of what EJ could look like….Plo Kloon’s was yellow…Luke Skywalker's was green…so anyway, it would be easy enough to have a Throw replacement that was more Emerald Fire Lightning like, and would like like this:

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q639/knox1709/EmeraldFire.jpg"]http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q639/knox1709/EmeraldFire.jpg[/url]

3) FORCE TREMOR (channeled): From Ultimas, an idea I'll label Force Tremor: "I say a good replacement for Telekinetic Throw would be a mini-Force Quake that targets a single enemy, Channeled damage and a more bad*** animation. I'm all in on the project replacement. EDIT: I added Kira's Force Tremor above as another option for a project replacement, but this would be a great channeled ani, too, as I see it as a combination of Force Quake and Force Tremor....

How it would work:

Here is a simple, dirty mockup of what the "p" Abilities window would look like with Emerald Fire (Electric Judgment) and Saber Dance on the Consular tab - they could just as easily be on the Legacy tab:

http://imageshack.com/a/img585/8482/m4im.jpg

I referenced Emerald Fire/Electric Judgment above and linked to canon info about it - EF is an obvious alternate for Throw/pebblestorm. Saber Dance would be an alternate for Project. As the consular version of a saber throw, its hallmark would be MORE elegance and control than the knight versions, who are not as adept at telekinetics. These alternative animations would be slottable on your toolbars, like any other skill. You could even put an alternate right next to its original. It would be the same things as putting two copies of the same skills next to each other...they share the same cooldown, etc. They are functionally identical, they just LOOK different because they have a different animation.

For example, Project has the upheaval talent, where you get a chance to pull up a second piece of magical junk for additional damage...Saber Dance would handle this with a quick boomerang second hit, after its first hit on the target. Without the second hit proc, it would just return normally. With Force Burst as a Project alternate, the double hit would look like a "double pump", just like Shock does now. Electric Judgment would handle it with a second arc of force power.

And again, these are OPTIONAL, PURCHASABLE...win win win. And there is no reason you couldn't provide players with multiple options...the game is aging, we have all seen the same ani's a BILLION times....why not give players some choice and a VERY cool way to customize their toons a bit? And why not start with the most lackluster ani's?

Original Post:

Always said put your money where you mouth is...I would be perfectly happy to pay for a set of alternate animations for project and throw so my jedi is NOT a junk, rock and pebble thrower. Why do they bother me? Because in the movies, Sith throw junk, all the time, all of them, much more than jedi, and in fact in the movies sith throw junk more than they use lightning, even. It also strikes me as inelegant and sloppy, like a temper tantrum - very darkside. Some love it. The people that like the fred flintstone rock and gravel earth shaman mode can remain in bliss. This would be alternate ani's for abilities that we are already used to seeing some companions use...more on that in a bit.

When I see in the game all the alternate ani's now for the out of combat recuperate/regen (bacta tanks, imperial healing bed, gree digitizer, etc., etc.,) it really strikes me as doable for EAware to start making money off people that would like to see some different combat animations for skills, especially bread and butter skills that we have all seen millions of times. The junk and pebble throwing for jedi has been WILDLY unpopular for many players ever since the earliest days of beta, and has been a constant source of derision and snickering. The coolness factor compared to lightning is non-existent. The lack of a truly interactive environment makes throwing skills silly on many levels, and at the end of the day, even if the game engine could do it right, without magically conjuring junk out of the ground, jedi STILL are not junk throwers.

So yes, this would take some dev time, but yes, I am willing to pay for it. Others would be too. So instead of a new gsf skin or whatever, or random packs that have worse odds than a lottery for actually getting something you want, I would love to buy something like this that made the game feel more like a jedi experience for me. And yes, it would be completely optional. I would foresee it as another ability icon in my powers window, with the EXACT same stats as the old ones, just a new icon on a new button that fires a new ani on top of an old ability. There are plenty of other ideas for replacing the junk, rocks, and pebbles, but the above are very straightforward.

i would love to have black core / red lightning for my sorcerer. still wonder why alternate animations for CC isn't a thing yet.

An awesome idea. And it's a way to give republic's characters few dark side ability variations(and few lightside for empire's).

If such adjustment is possible, devs should try to add it. Many will appreciate(me too).

Edited by Eres

• 4 months later...
I like the idea of replacing animations for abilities, but not because of throwing rocks/pebbles (although some context would be great if it could be implemented, ie: not pulling rocks out of a metal floor, but its not a big issue for me), but because of Kinetic Barrier. It looks so silly, and is so crucial to my rotation as a shadow tank.