Dread Guard Relic BiS?

From what I saw on PTS, the dread guard relics were +endurance, and then damage proc or 30 sec power, and were still generally below WH power relics even for PVE.

However, logging on today, here are the stats of the relics:

Dread Guard Relic of Boundless Ages

+64 End

+47 Power

Increase Power by 350 for 30 sec

Dread Guard Relic of Dark Radiance

+64 end

+47 Pwer

30% chance of 210 internal, not more than 4.5 sec

Did they stealth switch some of the endurance to the new static power boost? Does this put the relics above the WH power relics for PVE?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hybrid Dps Sage:

I just did some updated simcraft with the release of 1.5

The dread guard relics got a buff and they now give a static 47power.

The proc relic is 47power+210proc on 30%.

The "use" relic is 47power+350power for 30sec (120sec cd).

Wonderfully having 1 of each of these relics actually gives a higher result on simcraft!!! No more PVP if you don't want

The difference i saw was only around 10dps. However the situational burst gained from the "use" relic means that i'm taking it.

I better go warn my tanks...

I will work the math on this tomorrow.

(dack from SWTOR MMOMechanics)

With a 2 min CD your 350 power for 30 secs averages out to 87.5 power per second. + 47 from the constant power and it's now 134.5. So it averages out to more power assuming you always use the trinket when it's up and then you can time certain things around it. As a marauder, I can time it + my adrenal + bloodthirst to get more bang for the buck then constant power from my WH relic.

I actually use one WH and one DG Relic now.

Edited by Lostpenguins

I used my DG proc relic during a 6m 19s fight with dreadtooth. It proc'd 42 times and crit 18. low hit 218 high hit 443. The total dmg done for the fight was 12298. With the loss of 66 power switching from WH to this DG relic for kinetic dmg since I'm a merc Im wondering if it is better? My math skills suck but I figured that the 66 power during the duration of that fight would result in 5753 dmg straight up not including extra dmg from crits or crit multiplier. Can someone double check my math and confirm that the proc relics are better than WH?

I used my DG proc relic during a 6m 19s fight with dreadtooth. It proc'd 42 times and crit 18. low hit 218 high hit 443. The total dmg done for the fight was 12298. With the loss of 66 power switching from WH to this DG relic for kinetic dmg since I'm a merc Im wondering if it is better? My math skills suck but I figured that the 66 power during the duration of that fight would result in 5753 dmg straight up not including extra dmg from crits or crit multiplier. Can someone double check my math and confirm that the proc relics are better than WH?

DPS and Healing Proc relics are terrible. The only proc relic you should use is the tank proc relic.

What are you basing your extreme opinions on? FYI, the healing on proc relic is much better than the absorption on proc relics for shadow/assassin tanks. And these people are showing evidence the other on proc relics are good as well. So f'in judgmental. Edited by cloudblade

What are you basing your extreme opinions on? FYI, the healing on proc relic is much better than the absorption on proc relics for shadow/assassin tanks. And these people are showing evidence the other on proc relics are good as well. So f'in judgmental.

I thought that the Relic of Ephemeral Mending only healed other players, not the person who equipped it.

If that's the case then an Assassin triggering it with self-heals would actually be very useful. I apologize for the misinformation above - there's already enough misinformation on the forum with me adding to it:o - and will have to discuss this with my guild.

Thank your for the information:)

Edited by AshlaBoga

Use the internal dmg proc relic, not the kinetic one as kinetic is effected by armor.

Use the internal dmg proc relic, not the kinetic one as kinetic is effected by armor.

I'm seeing some numbers thrown around that the kinetic is better than the internal one for Mercs/Commandos due to the high amount of armour pen they have. Marginally anyway. And elemental for Pyro PTs/Assault Vanguards.

Basically the thinking is, which one to use should be based on what your talents are buffing.

I am doing more dmg with kinetic relic (218 min hit , 443 crit) than the internal relic (210). As an arsenal merc my 35% arm pen benefits me enough to give me higher dmg even with armor. And that test was done on dreadtooth with a 4 stack in corrupted form. I'm just wondering if some math wiz out there can check my numbers and see if the static power + proc makes up for the 66 power loss from the relic?

My gut tells me as an arsenal merc to just stick with using WH relic + DG relic of boundless ages w/ its on use power boost, but I just want to be sure.

I am doing more dmg with kinetic relic (218 min hit , 443 crit) than the internal relic (210). As an arsenal merc my 35% arm pen benefits me enough to give me higher dmg even with armor. And that test was done on dreadtooth with a 4 stack in corrupted form. I'm just wondering if some math wiz out there can check my numbers and see if the static power + proc makes up for the 66 power loss from the relic?

My gut tells me as an arsenal merc to just stick with using WH relic + DG relic of boundless ages w/ its on use power boost, but I just want to be sure.

The old Campaign proc relics were generally neck-and-neck with War Hero relics for a single-target fight. With higher damage ticks alone Dread Guard ones would be better, besides the power itemisation reducing the net loss.

HEY !!!

Dread Guard Relics (on use) are 20 seconds not 30 as were Campaign ones. PVE relics are still crap.

Incorrect, dread guard on use TANK relics are all 20 seconds now for some odd reason, but the on use power is still 30 seconds.

I will ask here Healing Relics on Assassin Tank, is it really worth it?

It say 500 heal over 3s on 20s CD, isn't it a waste of Relic spot for 500 heal every 20s or am I missing something here?

Short answer: yes, it is worth it. In fact, the Dread Guard proc heal relic is best in slot for shadow/assassin tanks right now, with other relics trailing fairly far behind. I haven't run the numbers on the new PvP relics yet, but I suspect BiS is now EWH defense paired with DG proc heal.

Quick reminder: bosses in TOR hit like a wet noodle. 500 points of healing is actually quite a bit.

I really don' understand the logic, for ex, a tick of Kolto Probe heals me 800 HP and every 3s, is it really that important to have 500 HP over 3s every 20s....if the healer is missing 500 HP over 20s, then I am going to survive very long anyway....

Compared to have, lets say, DG Boundless Age, to keep my aggro high with FL with 3 HD and Energize.....

Edited by floriwie

I really don' understand the logic, for ex, a tick of Kolto Probe heals me 800 HP and every 3s, is it really that important to have 500 HP over 3s every 20s....if the healer is missing 500 HP over 20s, then I am going to survive very long anyway....

Compared to have, lets say, DG Boundless Age, to keep my aggro high with FL with 3 HD and Energize.....

Best in slot for tanks is generally considered to be the gear which maximizes survivability. The proc heal relic does exactly that. You can go with the activated power relic if you want, but that's not best in slot. It's an off-beat, albeit mostly viable gear choice, but not best in slot. What you are suggesting is analogous to wearing a piece of DPS gear to improve threat, rather than sticking with all tanking mods.

Threat is a non-issue for assassin/shadow tanks. Go with the proc heal. It contributes substantially to overall survivability.

Best in slot for tanks is generally considered to be the gear which maximizes survivability. The proc heal relic does exactly that. You can go with the activated power relic if you want, but that's not best in slot. It's an off-beat, albeit mostly viable gear choice, but not best in slot. What you are suggesting is analogous to wearing a piece of DPS gear to improve threat, rather than sticking with all tanking mods.

Threat is a non-issue for assassin/shadow tanks. Go with the proc heal. It contributes substantially to overall survivability.

I know these may not be the BiS's but I run the Matrix Cube and the Campaign Relic of Shielded Amplification (on hit proc 405 absorb) I've tanked EC HM, TFB SM (no HM yet because he's not my main) seems to be descent enough combo and I don't feel I'm too squishy (I also have a PT and Jugg tank and all 3 differ as they should).

I'm wondering with this talk of the healing proc relic what about using that with the DG Relic of Shielded Amplification?

Now this isn't a pun at all Sin Tanks, I normally play either tank or healer mostly healer (I have all 3 healers all 3 tanks full Campaign or better gear and generally think I do good at it). I healed a Sin Tank that had 2 proc heal relics (wasnt the best choice to use 2 but he he said he was working to get a different 2nd). Anyways his gear didn't seem terrible but he got hit like a truck compared to what I feel while on my Sin with his relic setup. So again I'm just curious why the healing route vs the mitigation route being touted as BiS and some numbers to go with. Please not attacking just looking to share info for success!

wasnt the best choice to use 2

You don't say. His second slot might as well have been empty, notwithstanding the Endurance.

I'll never understand people who do things like that. Why not just go buy a Champion relic for 11k-odd in the meantime?

Short answer: yes, it is worth it. In fact, the Dread Guard proc heal relic is best in slot for shadow/assassin tanks right now, with other relics trailing fairly far behind. I haven't run the numbers on the new PvP relics yet, but I suspect BiS is now EWH defense paired with DG proc heal.

Quick reminder: bosses in TOR hit like a wet noodle. 500 points of healing is actually quite a bit.

my shadow is still using the campaign relic for now because of the higher endurance along with the new dread guard absorb proc

i don't have the extra daily comms on him right now to upgrade the healing relic, but i'm not sure if i really want to.

I know these may not be the BiS's but I run the Matrix Cube and the Campaign Relic of Shielded Amplification (on hit proc 405 absorb) I've tanked EC HM, TFB SM (no HM yet because he's not my main) seems to be descent enough combo and I don't feel I'm too squishy (I also have a PT and Jugg tank and all 3 differ as they should).

on your assassin tank you're using the matrix cube? it's horrible. you'd be much better off with a champion def relic, and you can buy it for 11k

Edited by oaceen

I'm sorry but could you please post numbers that prove that the heal-proc-relic provides better survivability over a +97def relic?