'Best' Class Story?

Dovahkiwi

Title says all. What is the 'best' class story. By best I mean your own personal favourite. Mine would have to be the Bounty Hunter story. I love how personal it is and I most of the companions are well written are and just generally awesome.

So which class (story) do you think is the best and why?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personal favorite, and not just which one I thought was done the best?

After all things are factored in...Story/Companions/Line Delivery...

I'm going to have to say Bounty Hunter. Good lines (not as good as Inquisitor or Smuggler), good story (Great Hunt was the only really disappointing part of the story imo), good end boss (at least LS option with taking on the Sith...not sure who darkside takes on), and except for Skadge, a good crew make up. Mako, Torian, Gault and Blizz are great to have on the crew!

Personal favourite would be the Imperial Agent, with the Sith Warrior story a close second (as opposed to split favourite) only on the basis that I kind of expected the start of chapter three twist to happen before I even got off Korriban.

They're all good in their own way to me, though :p

Edited by Bleeters

I believe that the Agent story is the best when you look at it objectively. It definitely won't be everyone's favorite, especially if you are looking for a "glorious hero" saga, or the "power fantasy", but...

-It has the most cohesive plotline, everything is unified and it all matters from Act 1 to Act 3.

-It has the most crossovers with other storylines in the game, whether from other classes or referencing other planet storylines, and therefore makes you feel the most immersed in the story as things are happening around you all the time.

-The choices in the game have the most profound impact, it goes way beyond simply who lives or dies (for example, in both Jedi stories and the Sith Inquisitor, the light/dark choice-making dichotomy is more along the lines of "save the orphans" vs. "kill the kittens" which is a sign of poor writing).

-It is the only storyline where the player character is truly treated as an intelligent person in their own right by the NPCs, and there is very convincing impetus throughout for the player character to re-evaluate their morals, beliefs, and ideals, rather than the more artificial examples like "becoming a Mandalorian" or "seeing a Light-side apparition and therefore deciding to be Light side".

-It has perhaps the most memorable "villains" (Darth Jadus, Watcher X, Ardun Kothe, Hunter), though this is up for debate.

-It is the only story with multiple endings. If I recall correctly, Chapter 1 has four possible endings and Chapter 3 has five, plus all the various paths that you could have taken to get there.

The only complaint I have is that the companions are just too "bizarre", if that word could be used. Normally that is not a problem because it makes for memorable characters. However, when playing as a spy, I would want to seem as inconspicuous as possible. Thus having a psychopath, a joiner, a rakghoul, a Force-sensitive, or a female robot following me around everywhere would attract too much attention. Therefore I did not use companions in cutscenes, only on the ship.

Edited by Jenzali

I've played through 5 of them to the end of Chapter 3 so far (Consular, Warrior, Knight, Agent, Inquisitor) and the Trooper up to Belsavis. The only one that really stands out is the Imperial Agent. It's the best written and also the only one which I want to replay to see the different choices. It's too bad you can't just replay the class story and I just don't have the time to level another Agent to 50.

Jenzali already said it all. Imperial agent is the best for me. So many different outcomes (though I am still to figure out which ending I got, lol), so many plot twists, wonderful villains. And the story itself was quite convincing and solid, unlike some of the others. Sith Warrior comes very close to the agent, I really enjoyed how my character seemed to change throughout all the three chapters, from "Give me a decent jedi opponent to kill, and I'm happy" to "There were time when I didn't need a reason to kill a jedi. It seems that has changed...". But the agent suffers so much in his adventures that I can't help but love him a bit more than the warrior.

I really liked the smuggler, but mostly for different reason, not the storyline itself. I enjoyed the jedi knight because it felt so "Star Wars"-y. Consular was okay: some things looked terribly weak and unrealistic, but some truly made up for it and left me almost amazed. The only story I didn't like so far is the sith inquisitor. It has its great moments, but I'm totally disappointed by the fact that all actual scheming and manipulation was given to the warrior. And for the inquisitor it is mostly "Go there and learn this, now seek this and that, now go kill the boss". You don't do any real brain job yourself, others tell you what you need to do to succeed.

I still haven't seen most of the trooper's storyline, though.

Edited by Yria

Agent and Warrior for me (can't really decide which), followed closely by Inquisitor. I have been waiting for a long time to be able to play a proper imperial/sith in Star Wars game. Edited by Path-x

I believe that the Agent story is the best when you look at it objectively. It definitely won't be everyone's favorite, especially if you are looking for a "glorious hero" saga, or the "power fantasy", but...

-It has the most cohesive plotline, everything is unified and it all matters from Act 1 to Act 3.

-It has the most crossovers with other storylines in the game, whether from other classes or referencing other planet storylines, and therefore makes you feel the most immersed in the story as things are happening around you all the time.

-The choices in the game have the most profound impact, it goes way beyond simply who lives or dies (for example, in both Jedi stories and the Sith Inquisitor, the light/dark choice-making dichotomy is more along the lines of "save the orphans" vs. "kill the kittens" which is a sign of poor writing).

-It is the only storyline where the player character is truly treated as an intelligent person in their own right by the NPCs, and there is very convincing impetus throughout for the player character to re-evaluate their morals, beliefs, and ideals, rather than the more artificial examples like "becoming a Mandalorian" or "seeing a Light-side apparition and therefore deciding to be Light side".

-It has perhaps the most memorable "villains" (Darth Jadus, Ardun Kothe, Hunter), though this is up for debate.

-It is the only story with multiple endings. If I recall correctly, Chapter 1 has four possible endings and Chapter 3 has five, plus all the various paths that you could have taken to get there.

The only complaint I have is that the companions are just too "bizarre", if that word could be used. Normally that is not a problem because it makes for memorable characters. However, when playing as a spy, I would want to seem as inconspicuous as possible. Thus having a psychopath, a joiner, a rakghoul, a Force-sensitive, or a female robot following me around everywhere would attract too much attention. Therefore I did not use companions in cutscenes, only on the ship.

I agree with a lot of this, except on the psychopath and Darth Jadus. I'd say Kaliyo's closer to a nihilistic narcissist (or just a plain old narcissist) than a psychopath.

Darth Jadus I just didn't find that memorable, outside of the Agent being the one class that seems to say "You can't be a force user" Smuggler comes close, but not nearly as much as the Agent in that regard.

Hunter I did find memorable.

So basically, yeah, Kaliyo and Raina following you around seems plausible. Lokin, female droid that doesn't fall in line with other droids and Vector seem a little more suspicious, but Vector in a world of aliens may not get much attention...undecided on Lokin.

Watcher X's voice over is what really sold the Agent story for me though. Smuggler and Inquisitor really got the great lines imo, but story wise, Agent. Still, just wasn't my favorite class.

Still, in the end, over all, I found a lot of Agents companions not as memorable. :( And the Agent could've used some better lines.

BH imo got the best group of companions. Even Skadge "OMG! Why are you on my ship and not dead." at least has that going for him. :)

Watcher X's voice over is what really sold the Agent story for me though.

What really broke my mind was the fact that Watcher X os voiced by the same actor as the m!Hawke from Dragon Age 2. And since fem!Agent is also fem!Hawke... well, guess how it sounds in chapter 2, when

two Hawkes, Marian and Garret, meet in the agent's head :D

Imperial Agent is the best class story, hands down, and I've played them all (still haven't finished Consular). Bounty Hunter runs a distant second, followed third by Sith Warrior. Overall, I found the Republic stories to be severely lacking, too "goodie goodie", and predictable. IMHO the Agent story has incredible immersion and player involvement. While the other stories had some cool moments, none of them really make you feel like your responses matter as much as the Agent.

The worst story of all had to be Jedi Knight. It was so lame and cliche, I struggled to get through it and was glad when it was over versus feeling a sense of closure and completion. Smuggler had some high points, but also very bland by comparison to it's mirror Agent class.

My favorite is the agent by far. The other posters have summed it up pretty well. The warrior and knight come fairly close after. Not sure which of the two I prefer. I'd probably have to say the warrior.

For the warrior I think it captured the feeling of being a Sith perfectly. Even the manipulations; that was a shock . I was worried about playing this class because I thought I might end up being simply a tool of my master. That was not the case. Also each act did an good job with character development and I loved the relationship with your master. Each also had an interesting plot that illustrated a different aspect of being a Sith and each had interesting plots. Act 3 had one of my favorite antagonists. Lastly, your companion you can turn to the dark side is one of my favorite companions.

The Jedi Knight has my favorite companion in the game, Kira Carsen. I love interacting with her and she is the only companion that feels completely integrated into the entire class storyline. The first half of act 1 was average, but the second half was pretty good; especially the finale (paricularly Corellia) Act 2 and 3 were really good and the finale was amazing. This story does suffer from being cliche. But with this being modeled after Luke Skywalker, that can be forgiven and the do a good enough job making it exciting.

I think the consular is an honorable mention. It's not in the same league as the other three, but I have a hard time placing it on the same level as the other 4. The first act is pretty repetitive, but it does have an interesting premise and some good moments (Alderaan). It really does shine in Act 2. The Rift Alliance can be annoying. Despite this i did enjoy your interactions with them. Still the situation is very fitting for a consular and it is an exciting storyline. The Consular's mission on Balmorra is one of my favorite parts in the game. Quesh is weird and feels pretty pointless. But then Both, while not great was pretty good and I enjoyed it. Act 3 is pretty good, but nothing spectacular. That is until Corellia, which has an amazing story. The Consular suffers from having really mediocre companions. None really stand out. I did enjoy aspect of Nadia's training. Another positive is that this story does an excellent job at capturing the feeling of being a Jedi.

Edited by cjlcw

I think the consular is an honorable mention. It's not in the same league as the other three, but I have a hard time placing it on the same level as the other 4. The first act is pretty repetitive, but it does have an interesting premise and some good moments (Alderaan). It really does shine in Act 2. The Rift Alliance can be annoying. Despite this i did enjoy your interactions with them. Still the situation is very fitting for a consular and it is an exciting storyline. The Consular's mission on Balmorra is one of my favorite parts in the game. Quesh is weird and feels pretty pointless. But then Both, while not great was pretty good and I enjoyed it. Act 3 is pretty good, but nothing spectacular. That is until Corellia, which has an amazing story. The Consular suffers from having really mediocre companions. None really stand out. I did enjoy aspect of Nadia's training. Another positive is that this story does an excellent job at capturing the feeling of being a Jedi.

I've played all 8 classes through Act 3. I have to say, the Jedi Consular having the ship filled with people all that time, really ranked it up there for me.

I thought Theran stood out. Here was someone who turned me down for a hologram!

Nadia, I liked as she felt like an actual Padawan. I loved Kira, but hated hearing my Jedi call her padawan. Hated hearing her calling me Master. We were padawans at the same time. Even got the impression she was training for just as long if not longer. Partner felt better than Master, with Nadia, it didn't bother me.

I really think people would enjoy the Consular storyline more, if they went back in and redid a lot of the lines. Consular needed some Smuggler/Inquisitor level of dialogue options.

Of course, it could be that Jedi Consular doesn't make sense to take most of the DS options being part of the problem as well, but I think some better dialogue would hide that more.

I've played all 8 classes through Act 3. I have to say, the Jedi Consular having the ship filled with people all that time, really ranked it up there for me.

I thought Theran stood out. Here was someone who turned me down for a hologram!

Nadia, I liked as she felt like an actual Padawan. I loved Kira, but hated hearing my Jedi call her padawan. Hated hearing her calling me Master. We were padawans at the same time. Even got the impression she was training for just as long if not longer. Partner felt better than Master, with Nadia, it didn't bother me.

I really think people would enjoy the Consular storyline more, if they went back in and redid a lot of the lines. Consular needed some Smuggler/Inquisitor level of dialogue options.

Of course, it could be that Jedi Consular doesn't make sense to take most of the DS options being part of the problem as well, but I think some better dialogue would hide that more.

I agree; except for the Theran part. I couldn't stand him, but that could be because of how I played my character. As a padawan Nadia was way better than Kira. The only reason I don't rank her high as a character is because she doesn't have much development until you finish Belsavis. Although, I do recall liking her more than let on in my previous post. I'll find out soon since I'm replaying the story. In regards to Kira: I don't remember calling her padawan, but that coube due to me romancing her. I think the Consular is the most underrated story in the game. Honestly, it has some parts that are so well developed and even the repetitive parts held my interest. And the story only gets better as it progresses.

I've only finished Jedi Knight and Trooper; but of the two I'd have to say I prefer the Jedi Knight.

Trooper is fun, no doubt about it; but I enjoyed the Knight more. I grant it wasn't particularly complex or deep - but it was like a great bag of potato chips, I just kept coming back for more until I finally ran out. I think it also helped that I enjoyed the Knight's animations better than the Trooper's* - so I enjoyed every fight and never felt like I was slogging.

*I have a long list of grievances with with whoever handled the animation and ability design for the Trooper.

Of all that I've done (missing Knight) I've found the Agent to be the best, and by a very large margin. Some parts of the other stories are just frustrating/stupid and/or the companions are lame (half the ones I have on my BH I really don't want on my ship at all and have tried to kill before acquiring them, for example).

Yeah, that was one of the highlights for me as well. :D

The Consular actually felt like the Jedi diplomat they are supposed to be.

I liked having all these people on my ship, too. Though I couldn't stop wondering... where do they sleep? I mean, Defender is the only ship of all six that doesn't have a room for crew members :rolleyes: The only bed you have on board is the jedi's one.