Reasons to play

DeltaaXx

So, anyone who knows me in game or otherwise knows just how much discontent I have for KotFE and some of these "changes". So no need to repeat any of the negative nelly or sky falling stuff. It is also apparent just how little raiding (or sustainable group content rather) and PvP seem to matter to this game anymore, so my question to you all is:

What are some of the reasons you still play or what some reasons to continue play SWTOR with more than one character?

Any suggestions welcome.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is the point where people confuse "reasons to play" with "reasons to continue playing"

I would say continue is probably more accurate, but also curious as to what entices people that aren't too keen on the huge group content or competitive pvp ( or as competitive as 4v4 were able to get... )

I think more appropriate question would be "Reasons to still pay for this game". If this game had a good f2p system set up with maybe an option to buy the story if you want I'd play a lot more. Add in expansions you pay for that add actual playable endgame content that doesn't get boring after one play through where you don't die once. Instead I let my sub lapse and every now and then pay to play the whole story and cancel again once I realize there is no real playable content added since last time I played and the story is a generic one off that I can do on one character and get the full effect.

OP just FYI your thread seems to be a copy of an already existing one you may find more answers here

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=895282

I have run the entire plants (class and planet quests ) many times I reached legacy level 50 without ever doing group content doing all the stuff you said you would not enjoy and have enjoyed it greatly.

______

Other commenters

Judging your version of "endgame" based what you like to play .... There is a lot of content end game ...just stuff you may not "agree" with.

Its some players egos and misrepresentation of "mmo" that lead them to the belief that " end game" is all about various group activities that may be "end game" for you and that's fine but its an opinion not fact.

My personal opinion of the FTP system is that it is already too generous .

Edited by _NovaBlast_

Its some players egos

I believe the word you are looking for is "preferences"

and misrepresentation of "mmo" that lead them to the belief that " end game" is all about various group activities that may be "end game" for you

Well, I see that you're trying to recraft the dialog but it's not appropriate to do so. Players here are not disappointed that this game does not conform to the generally accepted structure of an MMORPG. Players are disappointed that it has seemingly stopped conforming to that structure.

It is not a case of wishing the game mirrored some hypothetical construct. We just want what it to stop ignoring all aspects of content creation except instanced single-player content with minimal replay value and zero challenge.

and that's fine but its an opinion not fact.

As is everything I've quoted above.

Eight different class stories.

Certain classes offer different outlooks on how things turn out (BH has one point where there is a minor detail from the end of Act One, Sith Warriors has LS/DS difference, Inquisitor has one of three titles, Agent have some three core different endings and nine paths to get there iirc, LS Knight/DS Knight is more subtle)

Multiple romance options along the way.

Sixteen Advanced Classes

Twenty-Four Specializations.

And I really like the class stories.

Personally? I don't play for KotFE. I have 65s who aren't playing KotFE (likely will eventually, but not right now). I play for the Base Game, RotHC, and SoR more than KotFE.

The friends I've played with for years, the friends I've just met, and the friends I've yet to meet...that's the #1 reason to play imo.

Yep, that and the time sink I've done. Now I don't think I'll stop playing this game until the lights go out, but I may stop paying. My current sub expires in December and I removed my CC from auto-renewing. (been on 6 month plan almost as long as it has been available since launch).

I've saved up a ton of credits and a good amount of CC to ease the drop to preferred with unlocks and passes and ways to keep access to all my credits in game.

If KOTET is just another pay monthly for story chapters (no new raids. Just new FPs won't do it to keep me subbed) with an undesirable cosmetic (or hell even a desirable cosmetic or 2) I'll prob move to just subbing at the end and getting it all at once. By now I've proven to myself that I just don't really buy the inflated/expensive cosmetics off GTN for most part so spending 350k at a time not really an issue.

New repeatable content I can play with the group of friends I have in game uninterrupted is the reason I am subscribed. I've kept it going this year and had to replace several members of an ops team several time due to no new content already out of the hope that it would show up this year.

Already lost a bet made early last year that they wouldn't go all of 2015 and to September of 2016 with no new operations. (damn optimism)

So TL;Dr I play to keep up playing with in game friends and out of hope that the game will get out of the funk I perceive it to be in. The monthly chapter payment worked once on me, but after seeing all 16 chapters and sub rewards offered for it, won't do again. for same level of content/replayability

I believe the word you are looking for is "preferences"

Nope i meant egos some believe that MMO exist simply to serve the "group minded " community and that any MMO that does not is "doomed"

Honestly imo i think they could take out all the ops and any other group type activity and the game would survive just fine .

I'm not saying this to disregard what other like to play simply to state that the game wouldn't "die" without it .

Well, I see that you're trying to recraft the dialog but it's not appropriate to do so. Players here are not disappointed that this game does not conform to the generally accepted structure of an MMORPG. Players are disappointed that it has seemingly stopped conforming to that structure.

This is not the case by definition any game that allows multiple people to access the same environment at the same time is a MMO regardless of the "group content" you could and there is games that exist today that do not "rely" on group content and are still considered "mmo". There is even a "mmo" that has nothing but player created content with no structure to it at all ( second life )

It is not a case of wishing the game mirrored some hypothetical construct. We just want what it to stop ignoring all aspects of content creation except instanced single-player content with minimal replay value and zero challenge.

So basically your saying there is a difference between running the same story content over again and running the same op over again LOL ...that's just **facepalm**

what actually constitutes "replay value" is also a opinion not a fact the same with "challenge " does not make a "good game" to differnt types of people as well.

For example in my opinion the game has an over abundance of replay value and i like the current "challenge" level

After running a couple toon though all 16 chapters and raising my alliance i just started yet another new Knight and am doing all the planets completely again full new armor from the event all legacy xp and the xp boosts from quests I am level 35 with all 34 level mods just starting tatooine and still having a great time .

As is everything I've quoted above.

except for the unbiased and factual definition of what a "mmo" is that i posted ...look it up on google some time.

Any way ...that is all i have to say regarding this in this thread ...If you dispute anything i have stated that's your opinion and you're welcome to it.

Edited by _NovaBlast_

"group mined "

*mind

Honestly imo i think they could take out all the ops and any other group type activity and the game would survive just fine .

That is definitely a laugh. This game would die in a flash.

Because taking out all group content would equal: All heroics gone, all flashpoints, all PvP maps, all operations, Oricon's end quest, the microbinoculars questline, the seeker droid questline, world bosses, and the list goes on and on.

What you're asking for is a Star Wars single player game. Just go play one. Stop trying to change the game that already exists to suit your wants & desires. You have already made it quite clear on most threads you comment in, you're a solo player, story driven person. That's fine for you, but NOT everyone wants that. Play it your way, but quit harassing any player who posts an opposite opinion of yours with ad hominem attacks or strawman arguments.

This is not the case by definition any game that allows multiple people to access the same environment at the same time is a MMO regardless of the "group content" you could and there is games that exist today that do not "rely" on group content and are still considered "mmo". There is even a "mmo" that has nothing but player created content with no structure to it at all ( second life )

Amusing you bring up Second Life as it entirely revolves around "group content" as it is a heavy RP game. To do anything in that game, you are with other people from dance clubs, to Star Wars area, to Gor area, etc...People are there, you play & interact with them following the rules of that area you are in.

So basically your saying there is a difference between running the same story content over again and running the same op over again LOL ...that's just **facepalm**

There actually is. Operations rely on party grouping, stats, gearing, players paying attention, mechanics, etc...

The KOTFE story has NONE of that for replay value. Operations do get old after a time, will not deny that, but they don't get as old as KOTFE did.

KOTFE is a streamlined, GO this way, DO this here, Walk here, etc...story. Nothing even like the original stories. You could at least explore, run secondary quests, etc...

For example in my opinion the game has an over abundance of replay value .

After running a couple toon though all 16 chapters and raising my alliance i just started yet another new Knight and am doing all the planets completely again full new armor from the event all legacy xp and the xp boosts from quests I am level 35 with all 34 level mods just starting tatooine and still having a great time .

There is your biggest catch. You have run a COUPLE of toons through the story. A couple is 2. Running KOTFE two times, is not that bad.

Try running 5+ especially back to back.

I have 24 toons; 6 level 50+, 1 48, the rest are 65. I've run through KOTFE more times that I'd like. Especially the first 9 chapters. It's a drag, nothing but spacebar, putting me to sleep because there is no replay value. Nothing changes for all 8 classes.

Looking your account number, I see you are still new to the game, enjoy it! Have fun with the game, but don't come in knocking those of us who have been playing for years, who have multiple toons, who have ran the content into the ground, who expect the game to continue growing & expanding through the coming years, and tell us it has plenty of replay value.

except for the unbiased and factual definition of what a "mmo" is ...look it up on google some time.

That's already been argued, pointed out, and ignored by those on your stance. There are several definitions of MMO. All are correct. Don't split hairs.

Any way ...that is all i have to say regarding this in this thread ...If you dispute anything i have stated that's your opinion and you're welcome to it.

Amusing.

You make a comment, someone disagrees with you, you debate them back with one post & then say "I'm done.". Very immature & definitely defeats your points.

Edited by CaptRogue

Nope i meant egos some believe that MMO exist simply to serve the "group mined " community and that any MMO that does not is "doomed"

Egos? Playing with other people, helping other players, and helping other players enjoy the game is now an "ego" thing? Is that seriously what you're suggesting? My "ego" has zilch to do with anything in-game. I LOVE group activities...it's 95% of why I play MMOs to begin with...to do thing with other players. To me, co-op fun beats any other type of fun any day. I enjoy helping my friends, as well as complete strangers, accomplish things THEY would like to do.

I think you couldn't be more wrong. I don't think 300 players would hang around for $15 a month just to get 30min of non-repeatable, static story, each month. Removing group activities removes the MMO aspect of this game and turns it into a solo online story...something very few people would pay $180 a year for.

Egos? Playing with other people, helping other players, and helping other players enjoy the game is now an "ego" thing? Is that seriously what you're suggesting? My "ego" has zilch to do with anything in-game. I LOVE group activities...it's 95% of why I play MMOs to begin with...to do thing with other players. To me, co-op fun beats any other type of fun any day. I enjoy helping my friends, as well as complete strangers, accomplish things THEY would like to do.

I think you couldn't be more wrong. I don't think 300 players would hang around for $15 a month just to get 30min of non-repeatable, static story, each month. Removing group activities removes the MMO aspect of this game and turns it into a solo online story...something very few people would pay $180 a year for.

You might be surprised how much "community" is worth, even without cooperative large-group content. Not that I'm running down co-operative large-group content, mind you.

Would this game survive without it? I don't know, and I hope never to have to find out; its current player base has the expectation of that built-in.

How do I square that with my oft-repeated sparring with TUXs etc over the lack of Ops content in KotFE? It was a necessary evil due to the effort necessary to refurbish the base game, and to put TEC in. Some major part of the game was going to get shorted, and Ops was the least-bad decision. Bad decision is not necessarily a wrong decision, when all of your options are bad. Also, I think they need to change the paradigm to require less unbroken time commitment.

KotET had better have large-group content; even if it's not classic-raid style, and even if it's not "harder" than RAV/ToS. (Obligatory Disclaimer, I'm for both of those statements.)

The only reason I am coming back to this thread is because an inaccuracy was told about me personally i am not new

I just wanted to clarify that for random people who read this so they are not misinformed

I have been around for years . in game mailbox was qualified for ealy acces and have many toons.

While i'm here Tux - its not the fact you like group content i have issues with ..its the attitude that MMO are only here to service "group" players . If you lkie that fine ...but if you think its the pillar that holds the game up then we have to disagree.

I stand behind everything i said .

Edited by _NovaBlast_

OK _NovaBlast_ I get where you are coming from. You've been here for two years and have been advocating that MMOs don't mean group content and that this game should offer pure solo play for all content. You made the decision to avoid all group content in case you were ever paired with an "elitist" gamer.

So yes, if you stay alone and ignore everyone, no one can be elitist to you. However, boycotting all interaction of other gamers will deprive you of meeting some really good people in this game. I've made many friends in this game over the past 5 years and enjoy grouping up to do content with them.

This game has something for all play types. You want solo only, there are the core stories, heroics, and all expansion stories. Every FP has a SM that are soloable (except CW which doesn't have a HM either). Space missions (not GSF but the on rails one) are also soloable. There's EC to get fights with a boss mechaic that can be done solo.

And they will continue rolling out more story and FPs as well as other content you can do solo.

But there is also the group aspect of this game you don't like. Many do though. We want more group content to run with replay ability. The past year, we have gotten new solo content each month. Group has gotten 2 pvp maps in past year - no new content. Star fortress are group optional.

Those of us who enjoy all aspects of the game and don't shut out the outside world of gamers want to have this game give us something new as well. You can keep posting your MMO definition like that somehow wipes out how this game marketed itself as well as how the BW team have replied to group content as the "MMO bits" of the game. It really doesn't change the fact that many here in forum and on BW team refer to the operations and other group content as MMO parts of the game.

The only reason I am coming back to this thread is because an inaccuracy was told about me personally i am not new

I just wanted to clarify that for random people who read this so they are not misinformed

I have been around for years . in game mailbox was qualified for ealy acces and have many toons.

While i'm here Tux - its not the fact you like group content i have issues with ..its the attitude that MMO are only here to service "group" players . If you lkie that fine ...but if you think its the pillar that holds the game up then we have to disagree.

hmm, qualified for early access yet there is this post dated 4/29/14 (2 years ago): http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=7383397#post7383397

HI everyone I created my account on 04/06/2014 just before the last double xp weekend . And I Just killed the emperor ( will update my screen shot page ) and got what I think is the last romance talk from Kira.

EDIT: Now noticing you didn't specify early access to what - so in that context if you meant early access to KOTFE- sure then.

Edited by Jamtas

While i'm here Tux - its not the fact you like group content i have issues with ..its the attitude that MMO are only here to service "group" players . If you lie that fine ...but if you think its the pillar that holds the game up then we have to disagree.

I'm just curious...who here thinks MMOs should only focus on group activities? Has ANYONE here, or not here, ever suggested that?

See, I LOVE group activities, but that doesn't mean I dislike solo activities, or even worse, want them removed. I understand that what "I" like, you may not like, and that's fine. If you want more solo experiences, I support your desire for that. I'll stand up with you and demand more solo content, because solo content is the thing people like me, who enjoy group content, actually do until we have enough on for a group activity.

MMOs consist of people that like all types of things...like crafting. An activity that I honestly dislike. I don't craft in this game, I've never crafted in any other game...it's nothing "I" enjoy...but others do. Because they enjoy it, I support them when they ask for more things to craft...because they too are a part of the community I play with. Their $ is just as viable as mine and their voice is just as important as mine is. Same with RP...I don't get it, I don't do it, but I LOVE that other players do. I love that they can play the same game I am, even though we enjoy different things.

What "I" want, is group activities...but that doesn't mean I want anyone else punished or shunned...we ALL matter.

I'm just curious...who here thinks MMOs should only focus on group activities? Has ANYONE here, or not here, ever suggested that?

See, I LOVE group activities, but that doesn't mean I dislike solo activities, or even worse, want them removed. I understand that what "I" like, you may not like, and that's fine. If you want more solo experiences, I support your desire for that. I'll stand up with you and demand more solo content, because solo content is the thing people like me, who enjoy group content, actually do until we have enough on for a group activity.

MMOs consist of people that like all types of things...like crafting. An activity that I honestly dislike. I don't craft in this game, I've never crafted in any other game...it's nothing "I" enjoy...but others do. Because they enjoy it, I support them when they ask for more things to craft...because they too are a part of the community I play with. Their $ is just as viable as mine and their voice is just as important as mine is. Same with RP...I don't get it, I don't do it, but I LOVE that other players do. I love that they can play the same game I am, even though we enjoy different things.

What "I" want, is group activities...but that doesn't mean I want anyone else punished or shunned...we ALL matter.

second this. I want to keep getting new solo content and new group content. Not one at the expense of leaving the other out entirely.

I haven't been following the group vs. solo argument closely, so I dunno if this has already been said, but:

Personally, even though I play this game solo, I wouldn't like it if I was the only one in the game. It would feel barren and weird.

Even more so than a typical BW single-player RPG. Because this game was designed to be filled with players. That's part of what gives it life. When it has none, certain parts of it are going to feel more lifeless. For instance, mob spawns. Typical single-player game has more dynamic spawns and the mob groups are a lot more varied... they can do this because leveling in a single-player is usually a static number of mobs (and therefore a static amount of XP you can get), and leveling is mostly for show... you get a few more useful abilities and have a little easier time in combat. It's not strictly necessary.

Another example in this game is combat mechanics... this game was designed for trinity gameplay. With only you and a companion, that gets shaved down into something more awkward, particularly against elites and/or at high levels.

Then there's little environment details, like the fact that fleet is pretty static without players on it. Many of the environments are like this to a point... without players, they are just populated by a few NPCs standing around. In a single-player, there's usually more NPC movement; in games like KOTOR, there were scripted encounters with groups of NPCs that you couldn't avoid.

There's also, of course, things like PvP and tactical FPs. Those require other players and are made for groups. And PvP in particular is so one-and-done that you can be a mostly solo player and still queue up sometimes. The obligation is next to nonexistent.

In short: If we put it in that classic theme park analogy, nothing is stopping you from riding most rides alone at a theme park, but an abandoned theme park quickly looks like the backdrop for a spooky horror film.

Not that i disagree with you entirely but i have to say i payed 180$ a year for 8 years playing Ultima Online which didn't have any group mechanics worth mentioning and guess what the players back then stuck together and interacted way more than it is the case with todays MMO's/Players with their "forced" group content mechanics.

If you require game mechanics that you can't avoid if you want to play that content to interact with others you are probably doing it wrong.

Not that i disagree with you entirely but i have to say i payed 180$ a year for 8 years playing Ultima Online which didn't have any group mechanics worth mentioning and guess what the players back then stuck together and interacted way more than it is the case with todays MMO's/Players with their "forced" group content mechanics.

If you require game mechanics that you can't avoid if you want to play that content to interact with others you are probably doing it wrong.

Huh? I don't get this...who wants it forced?