Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

frauzet
06.19.2014 , 10:31 AM | #5061
@DomiSotto:
Spoiler
Storyindex in chronological order

...From what I've tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire... (Frost)

DomiSotto
06.19.2014 , 12:21 PM | #5062
It does feel like a natural fit, yes. The stories in the game seem to be designed to be blended since it is a group game.

alaurin
06.19.2014 , 04:35 PM | #5063
Comments/Replies: (I'll catch up the Index later)
Spoiler

Okay, one more short since I posted the other intros for the boys in my experimant with the male perspective. Like the other 2, this one is also cross posted from my Tumblr and was originally posted there back in Feb.

Title: Things You Never Really Forget
Prompt: Memories, Nightmares
Character: Zevryn Varlok-Trooper
Setting: Ord Mantell
Spoilers: Early Trooper Ord Mantell

Spoiler

Striges
06.19.2014 , 11:03 PM | #5064
@Frauzet: I do like the tie-together with the Agent story, and Thorns as the outsider-looking-in on the whole thing. He’s right about one thing--Kaliyo's plans are her own. No one else is going to figure them out. And it seems he’s perfectly fine keeping the whole affair casual for as long as it lasts. A little risqué, and an enjoyable read.

@Alaurin: Dek and Jaxzin are such polar opposites as far as reactions go. In all three pieces you show divergent reactions to the same event. Zev’s story ought to be unique--the typical trooper in the class story hasn’t seen much action; Zev already has PTSD. Nice set of backgrounds.

I like what you’ve done with the index and archive. I especially like linking the page and post of each prompt so a reader can check out other stories on that topic. I was going to suggest that and research the links to pm you, but you beat me to it. I will still post the current prompt in the thread, but it’s great to have one resource for all the recordkeeping. Thanks so much for keeping it organized.

Jokad
06.20.2014 , 02:32 AM | #5065
Hi everyone, I’ve been lurking here for a while and I’ve read nearly every story in this thread. I have to say, the stories are great, you are really amazing wirters. Now I’ve resubbed and decided to finally start contributing here. Please note that English isn’t my native language, so I apologize for any mistakes.

Prompt: NotlP: First Day on the Job, with a little Sisterhood
Characters: Nova(IA), Neyla(BH)
Spoilers for IA and BH Hutta.
Spoiler

Notes:
Spoiler
Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses.

Striges
06.20.2014 , 06:47 AM | #5066
Welcome to the thread, Jokad, and congratulations on de-lurking! This was a nice little intro to your characters. I liked that Nova took the initiative and made sure Neyla wouldn't blow her cover, and in such a way they can still act as friends. Very nice piece. Looking forwrd to more.

I have immense respect for anyone communicating in a non-native language, especially English. Especially fiction, a whole different world from just conversing with friends or co-workers. You're in good company around here; we have several contributors for whom English is not native. Your English is fine. If you hadn't mentioned it, I'd never know.

Striges
06.20.2014 , 06:51 AM | #5067
Week Three in the Month of Meta-Prompts. These prompts are less about situations, and more directed at the writer. Experiment with new forms and different sources of inspiration.

Week of June 20, 2014
Background Music and Leitmotif: Imagine Darth Vader’s entrance without the Imperial March. It’s hard. His music is as much a part of his character as his black cloak and mask. Many writers have playlists for their stories, or at least particular songs that apply to certain characters or situations, or that help evoke a character or a sense of place as they write. This week’s challenge: Write a story and link the background music that goes with it, or a story centered on your character and link their leitmotif. Prompt courtesy of Mirdthestrill.

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489974post=2 and http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489991post=3 (yes, we’re up to two full posts!). Many thanks to Alaurin for maintaining these lists.

This week's featured NotLP:
Laws and Governance - Our characters pass through a huge number of jurisdictions with a huge variety of regulations, forms of government, fine print, and - eek - legal penalties. Write about an interaction your character has had with government and/or the legal system.

DomiSotto
06.20.2014 , 07:26 AM | #5068
Hi folks! Oh, wow two more stories! I will be back with comments as soon as I have time to enjoy the stories properly!

Welcome, Jokad! I am an ESL as well, so I know how you feel. Well, there is but one way to muster the language - use it

Stirges beat me by a few minutes! So, this one is for the last quiz, not the new one. I am not sure I quite succeed, because I think there is inner voice popping up in the end, but I tried! And hey, it has Balmorran landscape! All 5,000 words of it! J/K, it is ~ 600. So, real short!

Title: Louder Than Words
Prompt: Sounds of Scilence
Character: Tishujen Dur (lvl 51, Corellia)
Setting: Balmorra
Spoilers: Balmorra Bonus Series Quest, vague allusions to Corellia Smuggler's quest
Length: ~ 500

Spoiler

BenduKundalini
06.20.2014 , 02:10 PM | #5069
Quote: Originally Posted by Jokad View Post
Hi everyone, I’ve been lurking here for a while and I’ve read nearly every story in this thread. I have to say, the stories are great, you are really amazing wirters. Now I’ve resubbed and decided to finally start contributing here. Please note that English isn’t my native language, so I apologize for any mistakes.

Prompt: NotlP: First Day on the Job, with a little Sisterhood
Characters: Nova(IA), Neyla(BH)
Spoilers for IA and BH Hutta.
Well, congrats too on de-lurking! I liked your story very much.

And as Striges said, I'd never had guessed Eglish is not your first language... same goes for you, DomiSotto! Mine is French, what bout you guys? I'm guessing Italian, Domi? ^^

Ok, I have like 4 pages of catching up with the regulars' stories... I promise I will do soon! (and I can't believe the guy who read all 500 pages before posting!)

Take care

@DomiSotto Thanks for comments, if you liked the portmanteau of Kenobi and Obi-wan, you might like the full version of the last short I submitted. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=732871
It explains everything. (there's also a hint of KEN WAtaNABE in there, actor in The Last Samuraï)
So it's EVEN longer, haha. The additional stuff is mainly in parts 2 and 3.
As a side note, I know easy reading is favored, and tried to keep up in my Let it snow story (the one with the crash), but then again I like classical authors with long atmospheric descriptions...

One last thing, there was a riddle in my title... guessing if anyone detected it...

DomiSotto
06.20.2014 , 02:36 PM | #5070
No, my handle is related to a very very old French movie (2nd world war old) that impressed me back in my adolescence, called the Midnight Visitors, that had a character named Dominica. I gave it to my very first Baldur's Gate character. Sotto was acquired a bit later, and yes, came from Italian Sotto in sotto voice ('cause I was anything but soft-spoken in the early days of Internet). My first language is Russian.