Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

New Classes Planned for the Future???

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
New Classes Planned for the Future???

yoomazir's Avatar


yoomazir
03.14.2014 , 06:53 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by jaytdasme View Post
Yea.. my thing is, why does it HAVE TO be big name voice actors? i mean it's cool and all, but frankly i wouldn't like the game any more or less if they just hired "some dude" with decent voice acting potential. Maybe a newbie to the voice acting world that wouldn't charge a whole lot for the experience. Hell, i'd do it for free. lol
To be honest, if this could help BW to give us a new class, they could limit the cost by giving the new classes only 3 companions and simply not add extra VA talk for when it comes to class related comments in flashpoints, planetary, side quest and other random stuff, I think most of us don't really care about those anyway.

In resume: VA for class story and companions only, I think that could be doable.

So BW, time to give me the Imperial Trooper class with those Shock Trooper/Imperial Guard AC's.

MasterPromithes's Avatar


MasterPromithes
03.18.2014 , 11:46 PM | #32
The most likely thing is BW adding new advance classes to the current dynamic. slowly moving from 8 to 12 ACs with each new AC etting its ow unique weapon.
examples for Republic:
Trooper- Demolitionist - specializes in AoE dmg and uses a pistol and grenade launcher

Smuggler - Privateer - uses a rifle or sniper

Jedi Consular - Jedi Watchmen - uses a Saberstaff and is a melee healer?

Jedi Knight - Jedi Weaponmaster - wields a greatsaber

something along those lines
Jolee Bindo=Resident badarse of the Old Republic

Quote: Originally Posted by EranofArcadia View Post
The capacity of the human spirit to find new things to argue about always inspires me.

dudeyoumadbro's Avatar


dudeyoumadbro
03.30.2014 , 01:58 PM | #33
Imperial Beastmaster

Ravanger: DPS based, all trees

Warstalker: Tank Class with 2 DPS trees.

Republic Huntsman

Ranger: DPS Based All trees

Enforcer: Tank Class with 2 DPS trees.

Class will be Cunning based, gotta be smart to handle the pets, which will function like the Hunter in WoW, mainly for support or possible add control
The Leto Legacy
Athius - Jedi Guardian Stiffler - Scoundrel Annadorf - Vanguard Ellesif - Jedi Sage
Dalexs - Mercenary Dethex - Marauder Tights - Sniper Dythius - Assassian
The Bastion - PvP

FearTheReapr's Avatar


FearTheReapr
04.03.2014 , 01:46 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by dudeyoumadbro View Post
Imperial Beastmaster

Ravanger: DPS based, all trees

Warstalker: Tank Class with 2 DPS trees.

Republic Huntsman

Ranger: DPS Based All trees

Enforcer: Tank Class with 2 DPS trees.

Class will be Cunning based, gotta be smart to handle the pets, which will function like the Hunter in WoW, mainly for support or possible add control
Those ACs already exist...Tank class with 2 DPS trees? Guardian/Juggernaut.

DPS based in all three trees? Let's see...Sniper/Gunslinger.

What you're suggesting is just renaming current advanced classes...What we're looking for here is SOMETHING NEW!!!
Quote:
battlebug
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.
All hail the glory that is Battlebug and praise be to him!

VolarusTC's Avatar


VolarusTC
04.30.2014 , 09:18 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by FearTheReapr View Post
Those ACs already exist...Tank class with 2 DPS trees? Guardian/Juggernaut.

DPS based in all three trees? Let's see...Sniper/Gunslinger.

What you're suggesting is just renaming current advanced classes...What we're looking for here is SOMETHING NEW!!!
I assume that some variations in the classes mechanists and play styles would be intended, by that logic commandos and sages are the same because they are both DPS/DPS/Heals.

Someone else commented on the cost of adding new classes, while I agree adding a new class would be very expensive, it would added a lot to the long term survivability of the game.

psandak's Avatar


psandak
04.30.2014 , 09:40 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by VolarusTC View Post
I assume that some variations in the classes mechanists and play styles would be intended, by that logic commandos and sages are the same because they are both DPS/DPS/Heals.

Someone else commented on the cost of adding new classes, while I agree adding a new class would be very expensive, it would added a lot to the long term survivability of the game.
The first question to be asked of the community is would we accept a new class without new class story? Since the driving force of the game is the class story, chances are the consensus answer would be no.

So next question, how long is the community willing to wait for a new class with full story? It took BW how many years to create eight class stories? Unless the new class is faction neutral there would have to be two mirrored classes each with its own story. So it can be safely assumed that however long it took BW to create the eight stories it would take them 1/4 that to make two more. And remember they cannot just drop everything else to create these new classes and stories, so the development cycle for new classes and stories might be even longer.

Next question: do they add another main stat or use an existing one? If they use an existing main stat do they need to make sure that the new class is sufficiently different from the existing. As an example: how would a new strength based class be different than the JK/SW classes? If they add a new "main stat" what would that stat be?

Last question: due to the years it would take to develop a new class of character, would it not be prudent of EA/BW to keep that information under wraps until they are ready to unveil it? If there is anything I have gleaned from playing MMOs for 14 years, it is that by the time the community hears about a single new release the next two releases are already in development. The point is that while EA/BW has increased their "transparency" with regard to what's up next, there is still a LOT we do not know and won't know until they are ready to announce it. Who is to say that new classes and stories to go along with them are not in the works? But because of the time table, making any sort of hint at it would be counter-productive; why get customers' hopes up for something that is a year or more down the line?

VolarusTC's Avatar


VolarusTC
04.30.2014 , 12:44 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
The first question to be asked of the community is would we accept a new class without new class story? Since the driving force of the game is the class story, chances are the consensus answer would be no.

So next question, how long is the community willing to wait for a new class with full story? It took BW how many years to create eight class stories? Unless the new class is faction neutral there would have to be two mirrored classes each with its own story. So it can be safely assumed that however long it took BW to create the eight stories it would take them 1/4 that to make two more. And remember they cannot just drop everything else to create these new classes and stories, so the development cycle for new classes and stories might be even longer.

Next question: do they add another main stat or use an existing one? If they use an existing main stat do they need to make sure that the new class is sufficiently different from the existing. As an example: how would a new strength based class be different than the JK/SW classes? If they add a new "main stat" what would that stat be?

Last question: due to the years it would take to develop a new class of character, would it not be prudent of EA/BW to keep that information under wraps until they are ready to unveil it? If there is anything I have gleaned from playing MMOs for 14 years, it is that by the time the community hears about a single new release the next two releases are already in development. The point is that while EA/BW has increased their "transparency" with regard to what's up next, there is still a LOT we do not know and won't know until they are ready to announce it. Who is to say that new classes and stories to go along with them are not in the works? But because of the time table, making any sort of hint at it would be counter-productive; why get customers' hopes up for something that is a year or more down the line?
I cannot speak for the entire community, but in answer to your question for myself personally..

1) Absolutely not, new classes would have to have there own story, ideally even there own starter planet.

2) I would say it's okay to use existing stats, there are enough in game. To draw comparison to WoW, hunters and rogues both use agility, but are both very different classes and play styles with little competition for gear, SWTOR could do the something similar.

3) I agree completely, for all we know new classes are already in the works and days/weeks/months from announcement. With episode VII on the way it would be foolish for EA/BW to not capitalize on the increases in Star Wars hype, something I'm sure they already thought of years ago when the existence of episode VII was first announced.

appoduece's Avatar


appoduece
05.10.2014 , 05:07 AM | #38
Honestly I wouldn't even mind them re-using the already in place story lines with new advanced class choices.
Think about how linear games like wow or eso are. You choices in those games make zero difference. This game became good because of that but now it's time to start considering making some new classes to keep the fun alive.
I would suggest:
inquis/cons- support role. different force buffs to mitigate or add dmg.
warr/knight- force whips w/ new force/whip based abilities.
op/smugg- support role. buffs to increase hp regen etc
bh/troop - no idea. Already packed with everything i could think of.
I realize this is not something simple to do, but the addition of new classes will be needed (eventually) for the game to survive.

wjrasmussen's Avatar


wjrasmussen
05.10.2014 , 10:04 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by jaytdasme View Post
Im pretty sure they covered every significant "class" archetype that appears in both mainstream MMOs and Star Wars lore. Tho i still am a little bummed out the factions are mirrors. Be nice if they were varied beyond visual asthetics.. but w.e. im aware how complicated this would make the game so i get it.

maybe making some Hybrid Advanced classes? Maximizing versatility and skill play, having a scoundrel that could have cover benefits like a slinger or a knight with a couple sage powers would be pretty dope.
OK, what I am hearing you say is you want a really cool hybrid class that is the best tank who also has a large variety of ranged abilities to go with his many over powered melee abilities which he uses while doing massive AOD healing...Also he is a ninja.
A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault. ~John Henry Newman

Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten.

LandisKan's Avatar


LandisKan
05.11.2014 , 08:08 AM | #40
They could relax weapons restrictions. I would love to play a Shadow with a single lightsaber.

They could even add in shotos. (shorter lightsabers)

Easy enough to assign a few lightsaber animations from Jedi Knight / Sith Warrior.

I'd also like to play a Commando. Can't stand the BFG. Dual pistols or a rifle would do me fine.

The choice would be great. Also some new trees for each AC perhaps. Possible even some new artists who can make good looking armour.
I TCP/IP but mostly IP.