Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

What’s New in Season Two

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

funkiestj's Avatar


funkiestj
04.16.2014 , 12:51 PM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterSLC View Post
Alex, please do not release the literal ratings required to be placed in each tier. Only release the required percentiles (i.e. top 1%, 5%, and 15%), so people don't stop queuing once they hit a certain rating, and will have reason to go to the leaderboards to check their relative progress.
+1. In short, we want to keep the population at large queuing through out the season. Incentives structures that encourage this are good.

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?

PUMA's Avatar


PUMA
04.16.2014 , 01:52 PM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by funkiestj View Post
+1. In short, we want to keep the population at large queuing through out the season. Incentives structures that encourage this are good.

I stop queuing for that character and then do ranked on another character. What you say is true for those with only one character they do competitive PvP with, but that's becoming a minority these days.

I toon swap once I'm geared so why wouldn't I with rating?
Descension - The Bastion
Lowkee - The Rinou Legacy
Guild Website || Join Us

AlexModny's Avatar


AlexModny
04.16.2014 , 02:42 PM | #73 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterSLC View Post
Alex, please do not release the literal ratings required to be placed in each tier. Only release the required percentiles (i.e. top 1%, 5%, and 15%), so people don't stop queuing once they hit a certain rating, and will have reason to go to the leaderboards to check their relative progress.
We are taking this into consideration. Not saying yes, not saying no, just saying you have been heard and we are discussing it. Cheers!
Alex Modny | Assistant Designer
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]

DarthVengeant's Avatar


DarthVengeant
04.16.2014 , 03:53 PM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by Elminster_cs View Post
So you basically cut out most of the PvE server, where doing ranked is impossible because no one do it.
Thanks.
You said it. I agree 100%. The who ranked thing is impossible on my server. I have let my toon set for hours and not one single pop. Really ticks me off I couldn't get ANY Season 1 rewards because of this.

Lurtzello's Avatar


Lurtzello
04.16.2014 , 05:17 PM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterSLC View Post
Alex, please do not release the literal ratings required to be placed in each tier. Only release the required percentiles (i.e. top 1%, 5%, and 15%), so people don't stop queuing once they hit a certain rating, and will have reason to go to the leaderboards to check their relative progress.
I see your point and agree to a certain extent (I would still prefer the past methord, also because the "super reward" for the top 3 of each advanced class could be enough to make people check the leaderboards and try to reach the pinnacle).
If your idea were to be implemented, though, I would like to see, on the leaderboards, in which top percentage my characters are without having to do the math for myself, especially since more people could do the 10 preliminary Ranked Warzones and enter the ladder at any time, which I believe could be fault of this system (what if people with a lot of alts tried to do those 10 warzones trying to get a low rating just to increase the amount of characters on the ladder so that top 1% is a thousand characters instead of a hundred, giving more chance to their main to be up there?).
I also believe it would discourage people who are looking forward to one of the rewards and who wouldn't do warzones otherwise: sure, with the fixed rating they would stop doing warzones right after reaching the set goal but if such goal is not clear (if it is a percentage of a changing number) people who won't have the opportunity to play much or at all during the last period of the season may just give up before even starting.
One last note I've just thought of: right now you can't get access to the top percentage in which you fall into since the leaderboards rank based on current rating whereas the rewards were given out based on maximum rating earned (which means that this system would require either adding a "top rating earned ladder" or at least a way to tell in which top percentage you are, giving the rewards based on current rating or, third, not letting players know if they are eligible for the reward at all.
Everything is STAR WARS is the best.

Aerilas's Avatar


Aerilas
04.16.2014 , 05:19 PM | #76
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexModny View Post
We are taking feedback from Season 1 into consideration on where we divide the tiers and still working out where the tiers will be. We don't have an announcement on this yet but will make one after Season 2 starts.
Please don't tell us the ratings. This will make players try to reach it and stop playing it immediatly once they reach it.
IF you're going to tell us something tell us the %s, not the actual rating.
Please.



::EDIT::

Quote: Originally Posted by AlexModny View Post
We are taking this into consideration. Not saying yes, not saying no, just saying you have been heard and we are discussing it. Cheers!
Just saw this.

You're discussing whether you want people to play or not to play? Hmmm.
Vis Fatalis
Caineghis (Sniper)
Tomb of Freedon Nadd

JediMasterSLC's Avatar


JediMasterSLC
04.16.2014 , 06:04 PM | #77
Quote: Originally Posted by PUMA View Post
I stop queuing for that character and then do ranked on another character. What you say is true for those with only one character they do competitive PvP with, but that's becoming a minority these days.

I toon swap once I'm geared so why wouldn't I with rating?
I play ranked on all the classes and personally appreciated being able to get 1500 on one toon and then move on to the next, but my suggestion would be better for the game as a whole.

Joesixxpack's Avatar


Joesixxpack
04.16.2014 , 09:31 PM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexModny View Post
We are taking this into consideration. Not saying yes, not saying no, just saying you have been heard and we are discussing it. Cheers!
Consider it stronkly plox.
SifuStoli Sage | Joesixxpack VG | BBQ'Ribs GS | Hawt'Sauce Guard | Bluce'Ree Sent | Dark'nStormy Scrap
ilotSufiS Mara | BBQRibs Sin | BBQSammich PT | BBQSawce MM | Dark'n'Stormy Op
DEAD SERVER REFUGEE

MidichIorian's Avatar


MidichIorian
04.16.2014 , 09:32 PM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterSLC View Post
Alex, please do not release the literal ratings required to be placed in each tier. Only release the required percentiles (i.e. top 1%, 5%, and 15%), so people don't stop queuing once they hit a certain rating, and will have reason to go to the leaderboards to check their relative progress.
I think this change would be counter-productive. You basically want to hold on to players who really arent all that interested in Arena as a gametype but play it anyway for the sake of the rewards. First, are those the type of players you like to play with? Second, you don't think it's possible, plausible even, that this group of players wont queue at all when they're being forced to constantly keep track of how they're currently placed, (again) in a game niche they dont have any real interest in? There comes a point when the rewards arent worth the time and effort anymore.

Also, a change like this would allow cheaters, queue syncers and late night guild arrangements to be specific, to affect other peoples ratings. In the season 1 system they've only been able to cheat the system and themselves by getting rewards they werent entitled too. With tiers based on % they'll ultimately bump down a few people a tier. Fair?

If you want to increase population you'll have to cater to those who don't play because they think they're not good enough to reach a high rating anyway. This could be done by adding a bonus through games played. So let's say that you played 400 games but only reached a highest rating of 1370, those 400 games would result in a 1.X coefficient that possibly could bump you above 1500. Would be really helpful for the few who still hang in there on the weaker faction on really lopsided servers too. And yes, I'm aware that this could result in AFK'ing but it's significally easier to track that than what some guilds are doing in the middle of the night when no one els is on. People will report AFK'ing but they can't report something they're not aware of.

Edit: No idea why I initially used "contra". I'm going to blame the time here when I posted it.

JediMasterSLC's Avatar


JediMasterSLC
04.17.2014 , 12:33 AM | #80
Quote: Originally Posted by MidichIorian View Post
I think this change would be contra-productive. You basically want to hold on to players who really arent all that interested in Arena as a gametype but play it anyway for the sake of the rewards. First, are those the type of players you like to play with? Second, you don't think it's possible, plausible even, that this group of players wont queue at all when they're being forced to constantly keep track of how they're currently placed, (again) in a game niche they dont have any real interest in? There comes a point when the rewards arent worth the time and effort anymore.
*Counter-productive*. The same could be said of anything that provides rewards, like the upcoming ranked quests. Pointing this out is silly. What matters is that the ranked population is low and needs all the help it can get. As for your second point here, I would think making leaderboard tracking more relevant would make things more exciting and engaging for players. The people who are prone to play until they hit the required elo and then be done (the people that the system I'm suggesting would address) are probably more numerous than the people that would be fine with queuing if there's a specific elo target, but for some weird reason would get too frustrated to play if they have to keep track of the leaderboards periodically (what you're saying might happen). I would prefer everyone to just Q up for the sake of competition and pride. But unfortunately, in order for the population to remain somewhat adequate, other incentives are required.

Quote: Originally Posted by MidichIorian View Post
Also, a change like this would allow cheaters, queue syncers and late night guild arrangements to be specific, to affect other peoples ratings. In the season 1 system they've only been able to cheat the system and themselves by getting rewards they werent entitled too. With tiers based on % they'll ultimately bump down a few people a tier. Fair?
This is your only actual point. I suppose our suggested system (that is also used in other games) could do with some effort from BW in prosecuting win traders. BW's excuse that "it's hard to tell who's win trading" is pretty lame. Show me BW's metrics and I'll tell you who's win trading. L2Math.

Also, remember that BW set the target elo at 1500 last season because that was apparently the top 5% mark 15 weeks or so into season 1. Some win trading obviously happened before this, meaning that this potentially inflated the declared "top 5% elo" in season 1(as you claim might happen next season if our suggestion is implemented). In debate terms: your disad is non-unique. Also, during win trading, one team still wins and the other still loses.... so while win trading will inflate the top 5% elo mark, there's some built-in resistance to this effect. Also, people are probably more likely to win trade if the reward requirement is a set elo rating, as opposed to top percentile that requires periodic checking of the leaderboards to ensure one is still eligible for. Meh, I'll stop now.

Quote: Originally Posted by MidichIorian View Post
If you want to increase population you'll have to cater to those who don't play because they think they're not good enough to reach a high rating anyway. This could be done by adding a bonus through games played. So let's say that you played 400 games but only reached a highest rating of 1370, those 400 games would result in a 1.X coefficient that possibly could bump you above 1500. Would be really helpful for the few who still hang in there on the weaker faction on really lopsided servers too. And yes, I'm aware that this could result in AFK'ing but it's significally easier to track that than what some guilds are doing in the middle of the night when no one els is on. People will report AFK'ing but they can't report something they're not aware of.
NO.

WHY DO YOU WANT TO MAKE THIS GAME EVEN MORE CASUAL. I don't even....